Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frazier vs. the 1930's

vCash

Frazier vs. the 1930's

Guys, this isn't so much a fantasy fight of man vs. man so much as man vs. era. A thought came up while I was writing a reply on another thread; how would Joe Frazier have done in other time periods? Say against the fighters of the 1930's?

I keep running names through my head, matching Frazier against guys like:

Tommy Loughran, who might have been able to jab out a decision against Smokin' Joe, and that's a maybe.

Paulino Uzcudan, a tough man with good power, a great chin, and solid boxing skill. Would be a test for anyone, but I think Joe punches out a decision, even if he doesn't put Uzcudan down. Kind of like Frazier vs. Bonavena.

Jack Sharkey. Wow, a good fight, but I think Frazier wins a KO in the 13th or so.

Max Schmeling. Another tough fight. Wonder if Max would have found a weakness in Joe's style as he did Louis'?

Ernie Schaaf. Solid fighter but I think Joe takes him out in 8.

Tommy Farr. As with Loughran, maybe a decision. Loughran also had a good chin, might have survived a hook or two. Not three.

Jimmy Braddock. No, I think the Cinderella Man would have turned into a pumpkin in this match. KO by Frazier in the middle rounds.

Primo Carnera. You gotta be kidding. Frazier would knock Primo down six or seven times and win a TKO.

Tony Galento. Rough and tough and Joe KO's him in three or four.

Buddy Baer. Good punch, lousy defense. Frazier in 3.

Lou Nova. Same as Buddy, although defense not quite as bad. Frazier in 6.

Billy Conn. Oh my word... My first reaction, "Joe kills him." The next thought "Oh yeah? How long did it take Louis to do it?" And that, of course, only because Conn got stupid. If Conn didn't try to mix it up, here's another possible defeat of Frazier.

Jersey Joe Walcott. It would have been a great fight. Toss-up, Walcott by decision or Joe by late TKO.

Joe Louis. Walking into Louis' blazing guns would have spelled doom for our hero. I think Louis would have kayo'd Frazier in no more than 5. No insult to Frazier intended, but man, his style was exactly what you shouldn't do against Joe Louis.

vCash

Re: Frazier vs. the 1930's

Whoops, forgot Max Baer. Friazer goes down in the 2nd, gets up and KO's Max in 4.

So what do you think, folks? Am I nuts? Or would you agree that Frazier might have been a champion for at least a couple years in the 1930's?

vCash

The Only Points I would vigerously take issue with would be any suggestion that Lightheavy's Loughran and Conn could have any hope of beating Joe Frazier, they may have been able to run rings around Carnera Or Patient stalker Louis, But Frazier is a smothering Ripping Snorting Pressure-hooker of a fighter, and I very much doubt that they would be able to elude Joe for too many rounds, And when Joe does catch up with them,…. Well, we saw how he nearly decapitated Bob foster didn’t we… Joe against a natural Light-heavy, even a somewhat beefed up one…becomes is a very devastating Puncher….and in terms of delivery, his left hook is a very cultured punch, not a wild swing to be easily dodged or exploited, In short, Too Strong Too aggressive, Too compact, and Too Hard Hitting, a pesky Jab and Grab, Hit and Flit routine simply will not be enough against this fellow .

Jersey Joe Walcott's Bag of tricks really come into there own if you are going to seek to BOX with him, or if your aggression is "Sudden Bullrush" in nature, perhaps like Marciano, I could certainly see Jersey Joe tieing someone like Oscar Bonavena in knots ! but his schimmy ,sidestep and walkoff routine would not work with Joe Frazier, Other's if made to miss may take time to realign themselves, and build up to their moment for the next attack, Giving Jersey Joe the breathing spaces he likes to compose and execute, Against Frazier, Make him miss once, make him miss twice, ..and Fraziers on you… and Probably on you to stay…If Jersey Joe could slip to the side and Catch Frazier coming in with the type of Hook he shocked charles with he could put the tremors into Joe for a moment or two, but with a Approx ? 10 pounds weight advantage Joe is going to be resilient and once again the puncher of the two, whatever fountain of youth Jersey Joes usually drinks from Frazier's constant pressure will puncture it !
    Perhaps Joe circa 8th …but if that left hook catches Jersey Joe on the button…Arnold may be creamed !

Paulino Uzcudan …instead of a Bonavena lookalike fight, it may of looked like the Chavalo Fight, Bonavena Actually despite his bull reputation, used to stand off, shoot a Jab or Two before Bullrushing in, he would walk off to the side, before charging again…its only the frazier fights that perhaps gave Oscar that "Constant Toe-toToe" Image..and that was Because Frazier Forced the "Constant Fight" on Him…He would do the same to Paulino I think, and Joe's unappreciated weapon, The Six- Nine inch Jolt Jab would come into play, A nasty little punch which against someone willing to stand inside with Joe, could help make a mess of their face as it did Quarry and Chavalo, and Joe would often use it to Lift the Head for his Hook, This is not a Simple Slugger here, But a rhythmic Pressure Hooker, probably internally reciting the Combo sequence Numbers drilled into him by Yank Durham as he lets the shots go "6-6-3" Body-Body-Head… Paulino's a tough guy, but I do not think anybody will have worked his body over like Joe Would have done, and that could lay the foundation for a late Stoppage perhaps circa 10th with perhaps the Ref calling a halt having seen enough one way traffic….
    Joe Louis …? I think it is a toss-up, as you say Frazier does not want to go walking into Louis's Blazing Guns….But he wouldn’t..not Walking…if we are talking about the 8th March 71 Frazier, he would be Bobbing, weaving, and Jinking, with speed, Louis was a patient predator so used to having to stalk his prey, who's gameplan seemed to be to Jab and move..as far away as possible… could Louis be knocked off Kilter by Frazier bundling him to the Ropes and threating to disembowled him with his vicious body shots ?? and do not forget, if you weight the same or less then frazier…then that makes Frazier a Puncher too, I can fully understand a picture emerging of Louis Shooting his left Jab with his Right Cocked waiting to detonate it on Joe as he come's in…I can also see Louis Missing Frazier, as Frazier Weaves inside, and Frazier catching Louis with a Big Left Hook on his Upswing….Louis is like a classy and stately like a Rolls Royce Silvercloud, in comparison Frazier might be a Humvee….But if Frazier can force the race onto a Rough Dirt Back Road….Could be the precision instrument will be shaken to bits by the industrial instrument…?? Louis would probably be the favourite, and if so I would go with the Upset….its good to go against the grain now and again.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

One fighter vs. an era he didn't fight in? Too many variables & so many fighters. Frazier vs. the 60's or 70's maybe makes sense but the whole 30's?

I don't even want to go there.

GorDoom

vCash

Even with great boxing skills you need real HW strength to keep Frazier off you for 15 rounds, and Loughran and Conn did not have that. Both lose by TKO late.

I see him beating everyone else (although a Walcott fight is close to a pick'em affair) Farr and Sharkey at their best would've also given Frazier pretty good fights while they lasted.

Only guy I'd bet to beat him is Louis by TKO around rounds 8-10

vCash

why is jersey joe walcott in this thread? he was a part time starving no training journeyman fighter in the 30s. walcott wasnt even a contender in the 1930s.

if ur talking about walcott, then u cannot possibly have him in this thread because he didnt even become a contender till post WW 11. walcotts best years were in the late 40s/early 50s.

vCash

This is easy. Frazier runs roughshod over any heavyweight of the era. No problem.

+ Reply to Thread