Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is Floyd Mayweather As Talented As Sugar Ray Leonard?

vCash

Re: Wpink

Correles, Castillo, Dlh @ 154 is a huge accomplishment, judah is a good fighter

vCash

This is simply for my clarification. So Corrales, Castillo, and Zab Judah are as skillful and talented as Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Wilfred Benitez, Kid Gavilan, and Ike Williams?

vCash

[QUOTE=lu047w]This is simply for my clarification. So Corrales, Castillo, and Zab Judah are as skillful and talented as Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Wilfred Benitez, Kid Gavilan, and Ike Williams?[/QUOTE

Thats all this old timer can do after reading the above

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by lu047w
    This is simply for my clarification. So Corrales, Castillo, and Zab Judah are as skillful and talented as Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Wilfred Benitez, Kid Gavilan, and Ike Williams?
    No but they are as skillful as the fighters that many of your so called all time greats beat. I always Ranked Ray leonard pound per pound at the top, but Mayweather IMO is skillful also. How many times has Mayweather been beaten, dropped, how many pounds has he gained to fight good fighters..oh yeh you left out DLH.

For your clarification Correles Castillo, Judah, dlh (especially at 154),Hatton, Cotto/Mosley winner would be a very good resume, and if he retires undefeated after beating this crop of fighters and having won belts in 4 different divisions..not ibf...but WBC belts...Yes that is very skillful. However Mayweather ditractors will not give him his due.
    Last edited by wpink; 09-25-2007 at 12:50 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wpink
    No but they are as skillful as the fighters that many of your so called all time greats beat. I always Ranked Ray leonard pound per pound at the top, but Mayweather IMO is skillful also. How many times has Mayweather been beaten, dropped, how many pounds has he gained to fight good fighters..oh yeh you left out DLH.

For your clarification Correles Castillo, Judah, dlh (especially at 154),Hatton, Cotto/Mosley winner would be a very good resume, and if he retires undefeated after beating this crop of fighters and having won belts in 4 different divisions..not ibf...but WBC belts...Yes that is very skillful. However Mayweather ditractors will not give him his due.
    Therefore, Mayweather has never fought a single extremely talented fighter. It would be inaccurate to describe any of Mayweather's opponents as "very, very good" as they were only at best comparable to Bobby Chacon. That of course was not an insult directed at them or Bobby Chacon. Chacon was a truly courageous battler that could box and punch. He was an excellent professional fighter.

As someone who ACTUALLY appreciates boxing, not simply the sport but the art of hitting without being hit, I have considerable admiration for Mayweather. Mayweather is a brilliant technician, offensively and defensively, and he possesses tremendous speed, reflexes and athleticism. He is, without question, the best fighter pound for pound in the world today. He stands head and shoulders above his contemporaries. I recall when a number of Manny Pacquiao's more delusional devotees foolishly suggested that he was the best fighter in the world in the aftermath of his second victory over a clearly diminished Erik Morales and I almost laughed. The idea that a technically flawed and defensively inept, albeit improving, fighter such as Pacquiao could ever be the best in the world is comical.

I vividly remember the spectacular boxing exhibition Mayweather put on against Diego Corrales in one of the most masterful displays of the decade, the tremendous performance against the courageous Phillip N'Dou, the surprisingly dominate victory over Gernaro Hernandez and the comprehensive annihilation of Arturo Gatti. Truly the efforts of an outstanding performer. But what does that all prove? In Corrales, Mayweather faced a fighter that was perfectly engineered for his style. Corrales was a rather poor boxer and would demonstrate throughout his career that he had difficulty with any mildly skillful boxer. Phillip N'Dou's excellent record entering his bout with Mayweather was compiled exclusively against third rate opposition. He was a courageous but unproven fighter. Gatti was merely a foolishly courageous, second rate fighter as his losses to Ivan Robinson and Angel Manfredy ample demonstrated. The opponents in these bouts were almost insignificant and interchangeable. Theses bouts were simply showcases for how talented Mayweather really was.

I actually, despite my criticisms, think far more highly of Mayweather than you do apparently. A victory over a relatively ordinary fighter, in comparison, in Hatton would not impress me at all. That's how talented of a fighter I believe Mayweather is. If he completely dominated Ricky Hatton I would not be surprised in the least. If he outboxed and embarrassed Miguel Cotto or the shell of Shane Mosley I wouldn't be amazed because I thought he would beforehand. It would not prove anything except that he is an extremely talented fighter. We already know that. It would only prove that Mayweather was more talented than fighters I already thought he was more talented than.

And what "so called all-time greats" have I mentioned whose most notable victories were only over fighters of the caliber of Corrales or Castillo?
    Last edited by lu047w; 04-19-2008 at 06:30 PM.

vCash

Re: Is Floyd Mayweather As Talented As Sugar Ray Leonard?

Mayweather may not even be HOF material. His resume has no one near his level of fighting ability.

vCash

Re: Is Floyd Mayweather As Talented As Sugar Ray Leonard?

I 2nd that JLP 6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234