Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MARVIN HAGLER - WILFRED BENITEZ

ERICB

MARVIN HAGLER - WILFRED BENITEZ

This could've happened in the early 80's when Wilfred had the WBC super-welter (junior-middle) crown.

I was a great admirer of Benitez's slick boxing style and how he slipped punches with ease. He had the same problem with Tommy Hearns that others did (His size)
    Hagler of course pounded Hearns pillar to post, but I 'll never understand why Tommy didn't use his very underrated boxing skills, which would have made it a much less action packed, but more tactically interesting (and closer) fight.

I believe that in a 12-rounder Wilfred could've beaten Hagler by decision, but probably not in a 15-rounder.
    Hagler seemed to be more effective when he was boxing and setting up counters than when he had to lead in a fight. Against a slick fighter like Benitez he might have been in for a frustrating evening, though he might have worn him down in a 15 round fight (late round KO possibly).

StingerKarl
    I'd have Hagler here in a good fight.
    Wilfred couldn't hurt the guy badly.
    Karl

Ronald Lipton

Hagler would stop him with never feeling anything Benitez could possibly put together. Just walk through him and eat him up.

walsh b

Re: reply

Benitez, good as he was was too small to trouble Marvin...Hagler by early KO

ERICB

HAGLER-BENITEZ

Remember what Leonard did to Marvin, and the trouble that Hagler had with Duran.....

Over 12 rds Wilfred could have outboxed/outfoxed Hagler
    and frustrated him. Didn't say he'd hurt him or stop him, but neither did Leonard in his fight with Hagler, but he avoided him the 1st 4-5 rounds while piling up the points and then weathered his late round rallies....

Cezannnne

Re: HAGLER-BENITEZ

It is not impossible for Benitez to beat Hagler. If Wilfred had to battle with Hagler he would need to take this fight very seriously and not goof around. Of course Hagler has a stronger chin and heavier punch. But I think Wilfred's defensive wizardry would tie Marvin in knots and eventually make him mad because he can't tag him. I don't think Benitez has the punch to rattle Hagler, but he has the ability to outbox him and that's what he would have to do in order to win. If he gets into a toe to toe exchange with Hagler, Wilfred would get hurt bad. Also I think Wilfred didn't do well at middleweight because he was already ailing physically and mentally in health. A scary fight for the great Wilfred Benitez. I'm for Wilfred.

walsh b

ERICB, very good point. I'm not changing my result, but I do take into account the fact that Marvin could be outboxed as a rusty Leonard showed and Duran made him look extremely ordinary. Depends which Hagler shows on the night???

pendleton23

Hagler walks through Benitez.Hagler in his prime could box very well and people tend to forget that.Benitez does not have the power to hold him off.Hagler in 10.

Steve Coughlin

Hagler by KO and maybe in the fashion of his crushing defeat of Tommy Hearns. I feel that the Hagler was well worn when Leonard ran away and slapped him in 86(?) for 12 rounds. Had Ray or Wilfred fought The Marvelous one BEFORE he blasted out Hearns and had to fight to the death with John "The Beast" Mugabi they both would have been in deep trouble.

Forum Flash

What a great fight that could have been. It's a dream fight
    now, but it could and should have happened around 1982.
    As much as I like Marvelous Marvin, I'd go with Benitez by
    very close decision. Hagler wouldn't know what to do with a
    guy who was right there in front of him yet like a ghost to try
    and hit.

robertk

Hagler would work the body and wouldn't be a headhunter==that are the guys benetiz likes best. And he peppers them. I just don't see benetiz having the strength to do anything but fight w/ his back off the ropes. Hagler went thru that school of hard knocks early in his career and is hardly an easy guy to discourage.

I think Benetiz would need that physical size and ability to tie up hagler like marcus geraldo did to even hang in there fighting his safety first type fight.

JLP 6

Hagler looked good to me against Duran. Duran couldn't get off much in the way of offense against Hagler, but Hagler was able to hit Duran while Duran tried slipping under Hagler's shot by throwing uppercutts as well as with the jab. Two punches that Duran never got hit with.

Imagine Hagler bringing the heat to Wilfred like he did Hearns. I don't see Benitez being able to hang in there against the conditioning and tempo that Hagler can imploy.

I don't remember ever seeing Hagler wilt under defense. Maybe he doesn't hit Wilfred much, but when he does I see it hurting Wil plenty.

Roberto Aqui

Benitez

When did Benitez ever step up to middle?

Ans: NEVER. This is a ridiculous bout. Benitez didn't even last long at the 154 limit. Certainly Hagler would have some initial problems connecting and would tend to box with Benitez early keeping the scores close. Eventually Hagler goes after him, and unless Wilfredo secures a SRL 24' ring to run track in, Hagler brutally lays him out mid rds just like he would have done to Leonard had he the stones to step up during this period.

PeteLeo

Re: Benitez

I thought Wilfred fought a few at middle in the last stages of his career. Wasn't there a bout against Hamsho on TV? PeteLeo.

Roberto Aqui

Benitez

I meant that he never stepped up to the middle division to challenge. He was nothing but a punching bag at that stage and couldn't even handle the journeymen.

+ Reply to Thread