Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Casamayor Stops Pearson In Nine; Eyes Corrales Rubbermatch

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Casamayor Stops Pearson In Nine; Eyes Corrales Rubbermatch

Casamayor Stops Pearson In Nine; Eyes Corrales Rubbermatch
    Photo and Article by German Villasenor from Max Boxing

Former WBA super featherweight champion Joel Casamayor (33-3-1, 21 KOs) - currently a top lightweight contender itching for a rubbermatch with Diego Corrales, made it two wins in a row this year by stopping a game Lamont Pearson (23-4-1, 12 KOs) in the ninth round of a scheduled ten round at the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix, Arizona.

A clash of heads caused a small cut atop Casamayor's head in the opening rounds of the fight, but the Cuban standout set the pace, picked his shots, and played the aggressor, often backing up Pearson, whose best moment in the beginning of the fight came via a couple of slightly wide rights to the head in the second and third rounds.

Pearson made it a close round in the fourth by landing counter rights and pressing, as Casamayor looked a bit miffed in spots during the round. Casamayor once more took control of the bout in the fifth, and pressed the issue in the sixth frame as he landed the sharper shots.

Casamayor got ahead slowly on the cards in the following rounds, until a clean left hand caught a backpedaling Pearson and sent him stumbling down against the ropes. He quickly got up, but the bout was called off at 44 seconds of the ninth round.

GARCIA DESTROYS WILEY IN TWO

19 year old Mexican super welterweight Julio ''Baby face'' Garcia (37-2, 30 KOs) pummeled Grover Wiley (30-8-1, 14 KOs), dropping his all but helpless foe with a non-stop vicious assault, sending Wiley down for the first time with a left hook to the liver. A follow up attack cut his Wiley over his left eye, and he went down once more, being barely saved by the bell.

Garcia, knowing the end was near, let his hands go once more at the start of the second round, ending the fight with an uppercut that sent Wiley down once more in a corner, with the referee calling it off at :24 of the second round.

ANDINO STOPS GOVAN IN TWO

Puerto Rican super welterweight Yukence Andino showed plenty of speed and flash as he moved his record to 6-0, with 2 KOs by dropping Chris Govan (2-3, 2 KOs) twice in less than a minute, with the stoppage coming seconds later at 1:08 of the round.

ACTION JACKSON HALTS FARMER IN TWO

Amateur standout John ''Action'' Jackson, now 6-0, with 6 KOs as a pro super featherweight, displayed an accurate and fast right hand, coupled with body shots, to stop Jeff Farmer (1-2) at 1:59 of the second round, with Farmer's own corner throwing in the towel.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: Casamayor Stops Pearson In Nine; Eyes Corrales Rubbermatch

I have to say I was impressed with Roberto Duran's protoge, Julio "Baby Face" Garcia really impressed me. Here's a 19 year old kid who now has a 38-2 30 ko record!

Granted he was fighting a bi-pedal punching bag but he showed the skils & aggresion of a fighter 10 years older. His skil set was impeccable. The combinations he threw were perfect & the kid has a real killer instinct & takes care of biz without screwing around.

Him I really want to see again, hopefully against better comp. He's really an impressive prospect if a guy with 40 fights can be called that. But damn! He's only 19!

GorDoom

vCash

Re: Casamayor Stops Pearson In Nine; Eyes Corrales Rubbermatch

Big deal, so he did what he had to do vs an overmatched opponent.
    Joel looked sloppy and the snap was gone from the end of his shots.
    He never beat Diego in the first place, truth be told.
    That drama queen Margaret Goodman incorrectly called a halt to a fight in which Diego was going to knock Joel out.
    I have followed Casamayor at least as or more than probably anyone here has, and I respect him and I also thought he beat Castillo.
    No way Joel beats Corrales, if in fact Diego can ever make it to 135 again.
    In fact, Juan Diaz would whip Joel right now as well.
    It also turned me off that Joel's angry manager was doing all of the talking for him, making Casamayor look like a dolt in the post fight interview.
    Karl

+ Reply to Thread