Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mosely-Vargas II Results & Discussion 7/15/06

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: Mosely-Vargas II Results & Discussion 7/15/06

Rewatched the first Vargas-Mosely fight today. I thought it had been a butt that caused Vargas to grow a second head over his eye. But no, it was a clubbing right in the first. By the start of the 2nd it was already badly swollen.

I thing Vargas skin has lost it's elastisity & he's gonna balloon up again. Which is Shanes best shot at winning.

GorDoom

vCash

Looks like it's a pro Vargas crowd ... ANY advantage in this one could be big.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

I'm here for the duration.

GD

vCash

Mosley wins the first with his jab. Vargas moving forward but not throwing or landing enough, Best exchange is at 1:35.

And now a word from our sponsor...

vCash

Friends, we know that your time is precious. With today’s on-the-go lifestyles, who has time to eat three meals a day? That’s why we’ve developed our new breakfast, lunch & dinner pre-chewed BLD Pizza. At Domino Hut, we take two eggs w/ bacon & toast, a 2/3 pound cheeseburger & fries, a small slab of babyback ribs and place them all in a blender, then pour the slurry on a deep dish buttercrust, and then top it all off with pineapple, Canadian bacon and Goat Cheese. And don’t forget; get one more for a buck on Tuesday’s!

vCash

Hmm, I haven't seen King Kong yet. And when does CLerks II come out, is it next weekend?

In a highly uneventful round two Mosley adds another to his side of the ledger...

vCash

Vargas has all of the footwork of Bazooka Limon tonight. Shane lands a few meaningful bodyshots but not taking advantage of what appears to be a Vargas that drained himself to make 154.. Mosley up 30 - 27 after 3.

vCash

Vargas has his best round of the fight, which ain't saying much. Mosley 40 - 36.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Sounds like I'm really glad I didn't buy this ....

I'll take one of those pizza's Steve if it's here in 20 minutes. I only live about 2,000 miles from you.

GD

vCash

Check your door in 14 minutes Gor. And 40 minutes later check with your cardiologist

Things just got really interesting ... at the 2:30 mark Vargas has a cut over his eye and Ref Kenny Bayless said it was due to a punch.

Vargas is running out of rounds to win a decision... Mosley 50 - 45.

vCash

The fight's over!!! Shane Mosley put Vargas down with a series of hard shots, the final straw being a wicked left hook that crashed onto the left side of Fernado's jaw. The official time is 2:36 of round 6.

vCash

As I said before Vargas was never the same after the DLH loss.

vCash

I truly hope Mosley will reconsider his decision not to fight again this year. I think he and Mayweather would be a great fight.

Hell, I'd like to see him in there with Hatton as well.

Roberto Aqui

Mosley just doubled his stock value and queered the Mayweather fight with one punch!

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Thanks for the report, Steve. Mucho Apreciado!

GorDoom

vCash

You guys have NO IDEA how badly HBO wants to see Mosley - Mayweather ... can you say shamelss bootlicking? And what's with Shane's fascination with Antonio Margarito getting a shot at FLoyd? Does Golden Boy have a poece of Antonio or something?

Mosley said he's got a tooth that feels like it's coming out. I didn't think he got hit hard enough in the fight for that to happen.

$49.95 for THAT, HBO? *#$&@#%^*$%!@(~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been fun guys but I've got a few more stouts with my name written all over them.

Have a great Sunday everyone 'cause I am outta here!

vCash

I'm happy Shane is making so much bread. He is a warrior. He took all the hard fights, giving up size to all these guys. Let him fight Floyd if Oscar won't...worst that happens is that he loses a decison...Floyd cannot hurt him...

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

FROM FIGHT NEWS

Mosley stops Vargas in six!

Saturday, July 15 2006

Shane wins one-sided affair
    Ponce De Leon, Diaz win by KO

By Chris Bronte at ringside
    This time it was decisive. Shane Mosley (43-4, 37 KOs) defeated Fernando Vargas (26-4, 22 KOs) again in a one-sided sixth round TKO Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Mosley was much, much quicker than Vargas, easily winning the first round. The fight heated up in round two, but Mosley continued to have the edge as the bout progessed. Vargas was cut over the right eye by a punch in round five. Mosley dropped Vargas with a left hook in the sixth and Vargas had great difficulty in getting up. Referee Kenny Bayless stopped the fight moments later. Time was 2:38. At the time of the stoppage, Mosley had won every round on all three judges' card.
    WBO junior featherweight champion Daniel Ponce De Leon (29-1, 27 KOs) destroyed Sod Looknongyangtoy (27-2, 10 KOs) in just 52 seconds. A straight left knocked Looknongyangtoy out cold collapsing face first spectacularly to the deck. Ponce De Leon previously won a competitive 12-rounder against Looknongyangtoy last year.
    WBA lightweight champion Juan Diaz (29-0, 14 KOs) scored a ninth round stoppage of Randy Suico (24-2, 21 KOs). It was a non-stop punching demonstration for Diaz who started in round one and never stopped. Suico was never in trouble, but referee Joe Cortez finally decided Suico had taken enough punches and stopped the fight. Time was 2:06.
    Olympian welterweight Rock Allen (9-0, 6 KOs) was extended the distance against Henry Mitchell (6-6-1, 1 KO), winning 40-36 on all cards in a four-rounder.
    Welterweight Ben Tackie (28-6-1, 16 KOs) scored a ninth round knockout over Wilfredo Negron (25-10, 19 KOs). Tackie dropped Negron in round one, then brutalized him until round nine when he dropped him again. The bout was stopped at 2:09 of the ninth.
    Jonathan Oquendo TKO3 (1:10) Arturo Bracamontes (feather)
    Anthony Salcido D6 Enrique Colin (jr welter)
    Eudi Gonzalez TKO2 (2:09) Cesar Valentin (jr middle)

vCash

It looks like Fernando Vargas is a shell of his former self and
    should think about retiring. There are reports about Vargas
    making good investments. If that is true, Vargas doesn't
    have to continue be a fighter in order to make a living.

Even if Vargas isn't financially set for life, it may be better
    to make a living in a less risky occupation. Yes, an
    ex-fighter may be making less money and not getting
    thrills when holding down a regular job, but he is more
    likely to be in good health in the future if he quits in time.

- Chuck Johnston

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Mosley gives Vargas the left hook ... and lights out
    By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com

LAS VEGAS -- There were no phantom head butts for Fernando Vargas to blame this time, just one huge left hook from Shane Mosley.

Mosley dominated Vargas for five rounds and then demolished him in the sixth to score an emphatic TKO in their junior middleweight rematch Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images
    There was no controversy this time around as Mosley dominated Vargas for five rounds before knocking him out in the sixth.

When they met five months ago, Mosley scored a 10th-round TKO, but the fight was stopped because of massive swelling over Vargas' left eye. Vargas cried foul, saying the swelling was caused by a head butt rather than a punch.

It was an accusation Mosley -- and most who saw the fight -- didn't take seriously, but the noise Vargas (26-4) made about it, and the commercial success of the fight, was enough to bring them together for a rematch.

Mosley, 34, dominated it from the outset. He looked faster and stronger than Vargas and was accurate with his punches. He landed several strong right hands and stiff jabs that rocked Vargas' head back.

A right hand near the end of the fourth hurt Vargas, and when Mosley (43-4, 37 KOs) returned to the corner after the round, he smacked high-fives with his trainer and father Jack Mosley, who was back in his son's corner for the first time in two years.

Mosley gave credit to his father for the victory. "We were in the gym working real hard and he was very inspirational, not only to me but to everyone in the camp," Mosley said.

In the fifth, Mosley opened a cut over Vargas' right eye. As blood dripped down Vargas' cheek, the doctor checked the cut, and when action resumed, Mosley connected with several punches in a flurry that closed the round.

The sixth round began in routine fashion, but then Mosley landed a huge left hook that sent Vargas crashing to the canvas. Vargas rolled over onto all fours and was unsteady, but he beat referee Kenny Bayless' count.

Moments later, Mosley unleashed another flurry and Bayless stopped the fight at 2:38 as a dejected Vargas staggered back to his corner and the crowd of 9,722 roared.

"I thought I was doing well until the left hook," Vargas said. "I thought it was slowly going my way. I didn't see the left hook. I didn't see it until I saw it on the replay."

All three judges had the fight a 50-45 shutout for Mosley, as did ESPN.com at ringside.

HBO will replay the pay-per-view fight next Saturday night (10 p.m. ET) along with live coverage of the Carlos Baldomir-Arturo Gatti welterweight title fight.

When Oscar De La Hoya -- now Mosley's promotional partner -- knocked Vargas out in 2002, it was on a left hook similar to the one that Mosley landed. Mosley, a former champion as a lightweight, welterweight and junior middleweight, said he remembered De La Hoya's punch well.

"When I was in the ring I remembered watching Oscar fight Vargas, and he threw that perfect left hook," Mosley said. "I was bouncing around and I saw the opportunity and I threw the perfect left hook."

Vargas, who has struggled with his weight for years, paid the price by having to lose so many pounds before this fight. He made the 154-pound limit but was sluggish and ballooned up to 168 on fight night while Mosley only reached 159.

Mosley said he noticed a difference in Vargas' strength compared to the first fight.

"I think he was weaker in this fight," Mosley said. "He looked like was breaking down and I knew if I hit him with some good body shots he would break down even more."

Said Danny Smith, Vargas' trainer, "Fernando looked slow. I don't know if it was the weight or what, but he wasn't able to utilize the jab or move his head. He didn't look like he did when we first started training for the fight. It seemed as though as his weight came down he was less sharp. Having those wars he has had takes it toll."

Mosley wanted to go back down to the welterweight division he once dominated after the first fight, but the rematch kept him at junior middleweight. Now, he intends to go back to 147 pounds.

Waiting for him could be a mega fight against pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. Mayweather would like the fight in November, but Mosley said he doesn't even plan to resume training until November.

"You know Antonio Margarito is out there waiting to fight Floyd," said Mosley, who earned about $4 million plus a percentage of pay-per-view profits. "Those guys should fight each other and we can fight next year. The only thing I know is my tooth is a little lose and I might have to go to the dentist."

Vargas, meanwhile, appears finished at the top of the sport. His four losses have all been by knockout, three in devastating fashion, to Mosley, De La Hoya and Felix Trinidad. He is an old 28 after becoming the youngest junior middleweight champion in history.

He is marrying longtime fiancée Martha Lopez on Aug. 5. Beyond that, he doesn't know what he will do about his career.

"I have to speak with my fiancée and my team and we will see from there," said Vargas, who earned $3 million plus upside on the pay-per-view.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com

vCash

A few more thoughts on tonight’s show:

Ponce De Leon looked like a mini Pipino Cuevas. Every punch he threw had bad intentions behind it. The left hand that put away Looknongynatoy away couldn’t have been thrown harder or landed any cleaner. Sod was out on his face for a half a minute. Referee Jay Nady did an excellent job waving off the count at 3 and getting the ring doctors in there as quickly as he did. Sod got O2 30 seconds after hitting the canvas. Regrettable Larry Merchant quote of the night: “That’s a long trip to take for less than a minute…” as the ring doctors were placing the oxygen mask over Sod’s mouth. Who knows what might have happened with a different ref or in a state without a strong boxing commission?

Speaking of good jobs by referees this evening, I thought that Kenny Bayless was right on the money stopping the Diaz – Suico fight. There didn’t seem to be any chance that Randy could win by KO, which he would have had to do down 7 – 1 in rounds on my card, and Juan looked to be catching a second wind.

Making 154 had to kill Fernando this time. Vargas added over 14 pounds after the weigh-in. From the opening bell it looked as if Vargas was walking on eggs. Fernando was never really a threat to Shane at any point of the fight.

vCash

Nice win for Shane. I never saw that coming.

I didn't see the fight. No way I was going to pay $49.95 to see Rock Allen, Juan Diaz and Daniel Ponce De Leon. That's what you're buying with PPV - the undercard. You get to see the main event for free the next week if you have HBO or Showtime.

That's two high profile PPV fights in a row where one of the fighters ruined his chances by trying to make weight. First Tarver, now Vargas. When are these guys going to learn? They would all be much better off if boxing would go to day of the fight weigh-ins and fighters fought in their proper divisions.

Mosley's got a hall of fame career going right now. Titles at 135, 147, 154 and with signature wins over De La Hoya and Vargas. Not bad for a little guy that started out with no fanfare, little respect and few fans. The biggest knock on Mosley is that he has still not developed much of a fan base. They only drew 9,700 to the cavernous MGM Grand which holds over 17,000 for boxing. I expect the PPV numbers to be as correspondingly weak.

Some of the low numbers will be blamed on the timing. Rarely are major bouts scheduled for the hot summer months in Vegas. Many people are enjoying their own plans for the summer, it's hot everywhere - so no need to go to Vegas for the hot weather. In fact, many people avoid Vegas in the summer because of the oppressive heat.
    Last edited by TKO Tom; 07-16-2006 at 07:05 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1
    As I said before Vargas was never the same after the DLH loss.
    Heck Vargas hasn't been the same since his devastating knockout loss to Trinidad. Watch that fight again. Vargas took a real beating. Although he was never THAT good anyway.

vCash

It's true. The Trinidad fight ruined Fernando Vargas. After that fight he was a crushed grape, a licked stamp, a spent bullet.

vCash

Last edited by kikibalt; 07-16-2006 at 08:03 AM.

vCash

vCash

Last edited by kikibalt; 07-16-2006 at 09:12 AM.

vCash

Vargas was never the same after Tito. Trinidad ruined him. However, that says something about Vargas. Perhaps he was simply never that good, simply courageous. His biggest win was a highly disputed decision over Wright. Yes he fought a super game fight against Tito. He took a beating. However, other fighters took beatings and came back...the fact that Fernando could not might simply state the obvious, he was never that good.

I hope he kept the huge dollars he has made and I hope he hangs it up. Enough is enough.

vCash

Sad to see Vargas go the way he did.

And he was that good, I mean, if he wasen't he woulden't have fought Quartey, DLH, Winky and Tito all before he was 24 years old. How many other 24 year old fighters in this day and age step up to that competition that early, and for serious money. Don't forget, DLH refused to get in the ring with Vargas at one point. I remember the conversation on Jim Rome's radio show.

Vargas' physical shortcoming has turned him into a shell of what he once was. I truly beleive he had the ability to be that good, to be in those fights.

I certinaly hope he's finished.

vCash

People keep saying that Vargas is the youngest ever 154lbs Champion but without checking the records I always thought that was Darrin Van Horn?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast