vCash

Re: Just Photos

vCash

vCash

mike

the kid--more moves than anyboxer ever filmed !!

mike

neat photo over on antiqities of prize ring-final kndown of dempsey-firpo frank--can get here??

mike

popye could hit.

vCash

Hey Mike, Is this The one?

Jack Dempsey vs Luis Angel Firpo

mike

frank--no but thats ok let me look over there.

mike

its a long range photo--but this computer is screwing up on me--frank--thanks for trying--i cant get in their to make sure where it is --thanks again--mike

vCash

Jack Dempsey ko'ing Jess Willard

vCash

vCash

Randy Stevens

vCash

Roy Williams

vCash

vCash

Jackie Hayden

vCash

vCash

Rory Calhoun (L) ve Spider Webb--------1958
    Last edited by kikibalt; 09-20-2006 at 09:35 PM.

vCash

Webb vs. Calhoun

Of all the great matches staged at the Cow Palace in S.F. the second (1/20/58) Webb-Calhoun fight was one of the all-time greatest. Webb was dropped and almost out in both the first and second round but Webb came back to Kayo Calhoun in the fourth with over 9,000 fans watching.
    Chuck

vCash

Chuck H.:

Only in San Francisco could two out-of-towners draw that big a "house" of 9,000 fans!

That bout in local-boy-oriented Los Angeles might have attracted half that many aficionados. Because of its large Hispanic fan base, two imported Mexican Nationals could sell out a southern California club back in my day. Crazy!

By the way, Chuck, viewing a fight at the Cow Palace was always somewhat of a weird experience. You got a sorta indoor/outdoor feeling during the whole show. I worked the publicity for the Olson vs Giambra bout there some 50 years ago. My last visit to the cow barn.

regards

hap navarro

vCash

Funny thing Hap, the first Webb-Calhoun fight was staged in Chicago Stadium (8/29/56), which was Webb's adopted home town, and both were top rated contenders but they only drew 1,849 fans for their nationally televised contest which resulted in a hotly disputed decision. The return (Jan.1958) staged by Benny Ford with no TV drew 9,332 customers. Their fame from being well known TV stars clicked at the box-office. Ford also presented in 1958-with a TV blackout-the Giardello-Calhoun scrap (8,891 paid) and Giardello-Webb (8,900 paid). Ford showed how to use TV to his advantage by displaying top TV attractions but making the S.F. fans pay for the privalege of seeing them in action. Great matchmaking and promoting !
    Your "old" Pal - Chuck

vCash

Hap, I stand corrected. The Webb-Giardello fight was nationally televised but benny Ford, who co-promoted the show with the IBC, got them to agree to a 200 mile black-out of the San Francisco area, thus allowing for a good live crowd.
    This was a great two year period in San Francisco boxing. It started in August,26, 1957, when Ford matched Rory Calhoun against Joey Giambra in a rematch of their nationally televised draw, fought at Syracuse. Giambra, a Buffalo native and Calhoun from New York only drew 2,546 for that one. With no TV Ford attracted 8,796 for the rematch.
    With the IBC, Ford came back in November, using Eddie Machen, from nearby Redding, against Hurricane Jackson. Even though the match was televised it drew a huge crowd of 14,107 at the Cow Palace.
    In January Ford showcased the Webb-Calhoun brawl (no TV and 9,332).
    Ford and the IBC followed with a televised bout between top rated Machen and # 2 contender Zora Folley who posed through 12 rounds as 11,759 Cow Palace attendees fell asleep.
    Ford returned to the no TV format with the successful Giardello-Calhoun card.
    He came back with a non-televised Giardello-Giambra show but was disappointed with only 4,631 showing up.
    After the Webb-Giardello match (8,900) Ford's great run ended when he matched slugging fan favorite Calhoun against the Bay areas greatest drawing card, Bobo Olson, at the Cow Palace. Again with no TV, Benny hosted 11,246 fans who watched the great infighter, Olson, completely neutralize Calhoun during their inside warfare.
    After this the gates in San Francisco sterted dropping just like the it did around the rest of the country as boxing was losing the battle against the attraction of televised entertainment.
    Chuck

vCash

Chuck:

Banny Ford and I were in the same business for at least eight years that I am aware of----running into each other in both San Francisco and L.A. during those days. For some odd reason, there never was a word exchanged between the two of us. He would give me a "recognizing" look, and I would nod back, or vice versa, and that's all that past between us.

He came from a boxing family, of whom I think Joe Ford was the first member back in the very early 1920s. They were of Italian extraction, if my memory serves----Forte being the original name.

After the Jim Norris I.B.C. took control of boxing, Sid Flaherty was a main cog in the western connection with Benny Ford as their matchmaker.

A darkly handsome sort, always well dressed, hat and a top coat over one arm, Benny Ford was an impressive standout in Bay Area fisticuffing.

hap navarro

vCash

Chuck:

You jogged my memory a bit with your latest post.

After I left the Legion Stadium, which had been at odds with the I.B.C. for some time, the first call I got was from Sid Flaherty, Bobo Olson's manager, who told me to get off my seat and fly to San Francisco to handle the press work for Olson vs Joey Giambra. Benny Ford was the matchmaker of record for that one too, back in 1956, I believe.

Sid wanted me to connect with the I.B.C. big shots and perhaps join their press corps on the west coast. He even had me pick up Truman Gibson who was flying in from the east for the fight.

Truman asked me what my plans were for the future, as if to draw a request for a job from him. I didn't bite---I told him I was working on a radio-tv deal, which was true at the time, even though it fell through.

According to Flaherty, the pre-fight press notices for that show were the greatest in volume that one of his main cards had received, and he asked me to show them to Gibson when I picked him up at the airport. Giambra was on leave from the military at the time, so I played up the G.I. Joey angle with plenty of art work at San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf. The net result was a damned good house!

Funny thing. I had been a thorn in the side of the I.B.C. for about two years but once the Legion and the Norris people made peace, I damned near ended up working with them!

take care pal

hap navarro

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

+ Reply to Thread