Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rahman-Maskaev predictions & press / Rachman fight on PPV ??? Who will buy ???

vCash

Rahman-Maskaev predictions & press / Rachman fight on PPV ??? Who will buy ???

I just read that Rock's fight next month against Maskaev is on PPV. Who in the world is going to pay to see that? When was the last time Maskaev beat anyone? What did Rock do to deserve a PPV fight or to make HBO think anyone will pay to see this? How old is Maskaev?

What a joke. I'm sure they are lining up to shell out $ to see this one , especially since the "new" , highly conditioned Rock struggled to earn a debatable draw against the horrendously fat, old Toney.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Rachman fight on PPV ??? Who will buy ???

I was going to buy it then I remembered that I decided the money I had set aside for it was better served for using it to buy a few bags of fertilizer which I would then mold into a likeness of each boxer in my backyard and later beat with a pitchfork once it hardened.

vCash

HBO would serve boxing so much better to have this fight on for free. The public doesnt know who the champ is anymore & although this fight will likely be a slow maul, because of the shaky chin factor it could potentially be entertaining & would raise the winners profile.

As it is its a PPV between 2 ageing cart horses who havent had an impressive performance in YEARS. Bizarre.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    I was going to buy it then I remembered that I decided the money I had set aside for it was better served for using it to buy a few bags of fertilizer which I would then mold into a likeness of each boxer in my backyard and later beat with a pitchfork once it hardened.
    Great idea!

After the Klitschko-Williams disaster and the fact that Toney-Rahman was a dissapointing anti-climatical fight, what the hell is HBO thinking?

Administrator
    vCash

Would we rather HBO use up one of its regular WCB/BAD slots for this slop, and instead put Taylor-Wright, Barrera-Juarez, etc., on PPV? Why not throw the uncompelling refuse on PPV and make it optional viewing.

vCash

Who cares? This fight isnít even worth talking about let alone $39.95.

vCash

I hope the promoter takes a bath on this one. How much nerve does it take to put the Rahman-Maskaev rematch on PPV? Why would anyone shell out 50 clams to watch a guy they've probably never heard of fight a guy who couldn't even distinguish himself as a titleholder against a fat ex-middleweight with powder-puff punches? Oleg knocked him out in 1999. So, as JJ once sang, "what have you done for me lately?" Rahman has done nothing of significance since he dropped Lennox Lewis in South Africa. After that glowing moment, he was promptly put to sleep by Lewis in the rematch, grew a watermellon on his head in a fight with the geriatric Evander Holyfield, impersonated a buffalo against Tua in their rematch on the way to a draw, and lost to John Ruiz, of all people.

This kind of arrogance, that little is enough to make the people pay for the priveledge of watching an underachiever in action, is the attitude that's bleeding boxing dry of fans in the states. I don't know who's going to win the rematch between Rahman and Maskaev and I don't care 'cause I'll see it on the rebroadcast; but the one who needs his ass kicked is whoever decided this fight was too good for ESPN FNF.

vCash

Is this some kind of a joke?

vCash

IMO this fight would not have been appealing enough to put on free TV back in the 70's and 80's.Due to the brilliant marketing of boxing the last 15 years,nobody knows who these guys are.Actually that applies to most pay per views nowadays.It probably belongs on ESPN 2.

Administrator
    vCash

Even Tua is back on ESPN, he was more exciting at one point than Rahman ever was. Too bad for Tua that he is too much of a gentleman to talk smack.

vCash

Hasim Rachman"America's Last Line of Defense(?)

I may be wrong, but isnt
    Oleg Maskaev an American citizen now?
    I know he was born in Khazakistan and was in the Russian Army.
    But that was years ago.
    I read somewhere he owned an operated a car dealership in a large city and was living the American dream.
    Hopefully he became an American citizen for the right reason, because its the Land of the Free, and home of the Brave
    and not because someone can come here to America from an totally opressive goverment country and have a right to
    make a sh*tload of rubbles.
    Last edited by brutu; 07-25-2006 at 04:36 PM.

vCash

Re: Hasim Rachman"America's Last Line of Defense(?)

More than likely, Rahman will not fall to Maskaev; but who knows. Or, even worse, who cares? Eventually Rahman will lose the belt, it's only a matter of time. The sad fact is Rahman is a talented fighter; but he's too inconsistant in his performances.

At the moment, there realy aren't any promising American heavyweights. Calvin Brock is a good heavyweight; but he appears too average. Still, Larry Holmes didn't impress anyone until he outpointed Shavers and warred with Norton, so maybe "The Boxing Banker" has more up his sleeve than he's revealed yet. But, he's still 31 years old.

I think the former Soviet Bloc is going to be dominating the scene for a few years, which is only fair. The U.S. held the reigns in the heavyweight division for some 150 odd years. The good news is while they're in charge, some young fighter somewhere might find inspiration to be the best he can be and bring the crown back. I feel we're going to have to wait for a while,though.

That's my 2 Cents worth.

vCash

I predict this will be one of the alltime low buy rates. I'm not even sure why Rock is recognized as some form of champion. He looked super cautious and highly ineffective verse Toney. He had no idea on how to go to the body. He got hit with dozens of flush right hands. I happen to like Rock and think he is a bright and charming guy. He's simply nothing more than a number five contender and that is based on his size and strength. To be champion is sad.

I repeat; who has the other guy beaten in the last few years that even gets him this fight? Didn't he get knocked out by others after he beat Rock?

Administrator
    vCash

Maskaev got flattened by Corey Sanders (the fat, black Corey Sanders, not the golfer that terrorized Wlad), Kirk Johnson, and GooFi Whitaker. They were all scary knockouts, too. Since his last loss, he's peeled off a dozen or so wins over Julius Francis–type opposition. To his credit, Oleg did beat then-undefeated David Defiagbon and Sinan Simil Simon Sam. He was an underdog in both fights—and he beat Sam in Germany—for whatever that's worth.

Both Rockhead and Oleg illustrate the importance of matchmaking in the heavyweight division today. If Holyfield had gone the record-padding, holding-pattern route instead of getting embarrassed by the likes of Donald, Byrd, and Toney, he could be fighting for a title right now instead of in Idaho or wherever.

Registered User of Colorful Quips
    vCash

The low buy rate for this fight will make it Rahman's last PPV bout. I don't understand the logistics. Guess they think boxing fans have nothing better to spend their money on.
    Reading about the results on here will probably be more exciting than the actual fight.
    Shawn

vCash

It might actually be a decent fight as these guys will at some point unload and both are hitable but it is of no consequence. To me PPV was supposed to be for huge events like in the old Days of Leonard/Duran or Holmes/Cooney . What it has evolved into is another option, really a gamble, for fighters who think they have more demand that they but won't settle for smaller purses offered them by the few venues that exist. I cannot image anyone paying $ 40. for that fight. It should be on Showtime as part of some double header.

vCash

Bob Arum wanted to put this fight on HBO, but HBO refused to air it on their regular schedule. Kudos to HBO for doing that. Arum also made claims about this fight possibly being on a major network like ABC, but that also fell through. So he was forced into airing this fight on HBO PPV, and the buy rates will hopefully not be good. HBO has no stake in the outcome and a declining relationship with Arum so they won't put out the promotional push for this one and probably no half-hour countdown special. Maskaev cannot speak good English and that will hurt the promotion. Plus, Rahman has lost all the luster he had from KOing Lennox Lewis with his performances after that fight. Hopefully, Arum stacks up the card with some great undercard matchups. Maybe Arce-Luis Perez? Or Calderon-Viloria? He needs to do something to salvage this card in some way. And, if not, he will be further upstaged by the excellent PPV that Golden Boy has lined up for Sept. 16 with three excellent matchups.

Deepak

vCash

I shock this fight is PPV, I do expect low number of buyers, and we can always see the results AFTER the fight. Its not worth the money for ANY of us to spend on it. I heard the cost is close to 50 bucks for it. No way is that worth it.

vCash

The joke is that if Rockman was allowed the latitude given Gatti, the ability to fight an old has been or a second rate contender four times a year he would be percieved as the fourth generation of "Black Destroyer" (Liston/Foreman/Tyson) ... instead he has for the most part fought live bodies and he has been exposed warts and all ...

vCash

Somebody is going to take a red ink bath because of this fight being on PPV. My guess is that it will be HBO.

Anyways, Rahman is sparring with the following guys:

(1.) Rod Willis, 11-0-1 (6)KO - I've never heard of him

(2.) Erik Kirkland, 18-2 (14)KO - Celebrated New York amateur. Lost two fights by knockout late so it seems he may have stamina issues.

(3.) Chris Arreola, 16-0 (14)KO - He's the best of this bunch. Tough and a good fighter.

(4.) Travis Kauffman, 5-0 (3)KO - Green and the son of Kermit Cintron's former manager.

I guess Rock is looking good and is trim. The above guys are saying he's busting them up with his left jab.

I hope Maskaev levels him and sends him out of the ring again - for good.

vCash

Tom,
    Actually, HBO has no financial loss if the PPV is flat on this one. They don't have contracts with either fighter. Arum is sending them a producing fee to air this PPV, but HBO does not bear any of the costs involving paying the fighters, promotion, etc. If they choose not to promote it heavily (like other smaller PPVs such as Barrera-Fana), they don't lose out although they do obviously make money if the PPV does well. They took a huge bath on the Klitschko fight because Klitschko's fight was contracted and the purse was guaranteed by HBO and not just the promoter. The one person that stands to lose out big is Arum, who gambled on Rahman and forked over a good size signing bonus (I can't remember how much). King similarly lost money on the Rahman-Barrett PPV although it wasn't through HBO.

Deepak

vCash

Guys, there have been far worse PPV main events (Rahman - Barrett comes to mind and I got stung twice with that one ... I was ringside for that too!) but what really gets my Irish up is that Uncle Bob has the NERVE to ask for $49.95 for it. You read that right - $49.95!!! And it typical Bob Arum fashion he doesn't even have the decency to have an exciting undercard to support the main event.

No disrespect to any of the undercard fighters but here's the line up as it stands now:

Humberto Soto vs. TBA
    David Diaz vs. Jose Armando Santa Cruz
    Vanes Martirosyan (9-0, 6) vs. Marcus Brooks (6-1, 3)

Now, let's compare this card to a PPV show from May of 1993 shall we?

Main Event - Lennox Lewis vs. Tony Tucker
    Gerald McClellan vs. Julian Jackson I
    Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Terrence Alli
    Meldrick Taylor vs. Henry Hughes
    Oba Carr vs. Eriberto Valdez
    Hector Camacho vs. Erik Podolak
    Thomas Tate vs. Eddie Hall

Boxing may not be dead, but someone ought to collect PPV's body 'cause it's starting to stink the joint up...
    Last edited by Steve Coughlin; 07-31-2006 at 01:03 PM.

vCash

Anyone else find this "America's Last Line of Defense" stuff insulting to Maskaev?

Look, Oleg is a naturalized citizen of the United States and possesses every legal right as the next guy who was born here, with the exception of having the potential to become the president or vice president of the country. Saying that this fight is America's last chance to hold onto a portion of the title is an insult to Maskaev's citizenship. No matter the result on August 12th, the WBC title will remain in American hands (not that I really care one way or another).

I have a feeling that come fight night we are going to hear a lot of cheers of "USA, USA!" and boo's for Maskaev when in fact both are equally American citizens.

vCash

Re: Anyone else find this "America's Last Line of Defense" stuff insulting to Maskaev?

I'm with you on this Kid.

Frank B.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Anyone else find this "America's Last Line of Defense" stuff insulting to Maskaev?

Im tired of all the american heavyweight hopefull crap myself. I just want a somewhat exciting champion.

vCash

Re: Anyone else find this "America's Last Line of Defense" stuff insulting to Maskaev

This is boxing, isn't it? Offensiveness and silliness and dumb promotional names shouldn't offend. Fighters are treated like cattle and chips on a poker table all of the time, and origins don't, to me, raise the level of necessary sensitivity. Maskaev getting a title shot is insulting to boxing fans as it is. Hell, Rahman being dubbed a "champion" is pretty offensive.

Just my opinion. I am not worried about Maskaev getting booed. I don't look to boxing to comport itself with dignity...or even 'sensitivity'..especially in this, to me, a fairly trivial matter.

People will be very happy to root for the guy that scores a KO.

vCash

Just more horseshit trying to gin up the number of PPV buys. I've always felt that US boxing fans weren't biased toward American fighters, but rather toward action fighters. Ask 1,000 fans who they would rather pay money to see in his prime: Roberto Duran or Virgil Hill...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Achilles
    Look, Oleg is a naturalized citizen of the United States and possesses every legal right as the next guy who was born here, with the exception of having the potential to become the president or vice president of the country. Saying that this fight is America's last chance to hold onto a portion of the title is an insult to Maskaev's citizenship. No matter the result on August 12th, the WBC title will remain in American hands (not that I really care one way or another).

I have a feeling that come fight night we are going to hear a lot of cheers of "USA, USA!" and boo's for Maskaev when in fact both are equally American citizens.
    Good point.....very good point.

vCash

Re: Anyone else find this "America's Last Line of Defense" stuff insulting to Maskaev

I don't care if they guy is from Mars as long as he can fight.

vCash

Bbc Article

Heres an article from BBC. At least Rahman is gunning for Wlad K. Hes going in the right direction. I know we're all coming down hard on this fight & the sheer insult that its a PPV and world title fight etc, but you have to admit, for all the bogus premise, it should be entertaining, shouldnt it?

Two hard punchers with waning technique & skill, two guys who are both always one shot from spectacular defeat? Going on todays standards it'll be adreary 12 rd maul but potenitally it could be a multi knockdown brawl. Maskaev has been given this Last Chance out the blue & he is going to do everything humanly possible to win.......

Rahman on mission to beat Maskaev

Rahman (left) defeat Lennox Lewis in 2001
    Hasim Rahman says he is out to stop boxers from ex-Soviet nations taking control of the heavyweight division.
    If the American loses his WBC title to Kazak-born Oleg Maskaev on 12 August in Las Vegas all four recognised titles will be held by 'USSR' fighters.

"They are trying to get a clean sweep, but I can't allow this to happen." said Rahman, who lost to Maskaev in 1999.

"I get to defend my title, avenge a loss and hold it down for my country. I'm going to make a big statement."

Unbeaten Russian giant Nicolay Valuev owns the WBA title, while Ukranian Wladimir Klitschko holds the IBF belt.

Sergei Lyakhovich of Belarus has possession of the WBO crown.

Rahman claimed Eastern European fighters are better than Americans at staying focused and ignoring the trappings of fame and wealth.

Klitschko is on my mind - that's the guy I want to fight

Hasim Rahman

"They are solid. They train hard. An American gets the title and his mind gets twisted. We get things a little too fast. They stay hungry." he said.

Maskaev, who became a US citizen two years ago, said he was insulted by the 'America's Last Defence' promotion slogan.

But Rahman said: "I don't really care where he's from. If his feelings are hurt, his feelings are hurt. His body is going to hurt on the 12th."

If he defends his title, Rahman wants promoter Bob Arum to set up a fight with Klitschko by next April.

"Klitschko is on my mind - that's the guy I want to fight," Rahman said.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast