Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marquez Bros. Results & Discussion 8/5/06

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Marquez Bros. Results & Discussion 8/5/06

Per usual one of our regular fight reporters will give updates & the result immediately upon the conclusion of the bouts. Please keep all discussion of this card to this thread.

Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

vCash

Re: Marquez Bros. Results & Discussion 8/5/06

Good evening everyone, Steve Coughlin here. I’ll be providing tonight’s coverage of the Marquez brothers bouts from Lake Tahoe, California. Tonight’s fights will be aired on Showtime, starting at 9:00 pm eastern / 6:00 pm pacific.

In tonight’s main event, Rafael Marquez (35-3, 31) puts his IBF Bantamweight strap on the line as he attempts his 8th defense of the title he won from Tim Austin. He faces # 1 contender Silence Mabuza (19-1, 15) in a rematch of their bout from 11/05/2005.

Then, in a fight between the WBO’s top two contenders at 126, #2 ranked Juan Manuel Marquez (44-3-1, 33) takes on #1 Terdsak Jandaeng (24-1, 15) in a 12 round bout for the division’s interim title.

See you after the first bell!
    Last edited by Steve Coughlin; 08-05-2006 at 09:16 PM.

vCash

If you DON'T subscribe to Showtime but ARE a DirecTv subscriber, you can order the bout on PPV channel # 122 for $ 24.95.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Steve:

You the man! Hey thanks pal, I promised the ol' ball & chain, I would take her out for dinner tonight. I'd rather catch 4 left hooks from the 4 principals in tonight's card than incur Mrs. Bucket's wrath.

Yeah ... I'm pussy whipped but proud ... At least I KNOW I'm gonna get laid tonight!

How about all you testerone filled younger boxing fans?

thanks Steve!

GorDoom

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

I want all you CBZ'ers to realise that guys like Sev & Steve Coughlin are TOTALLY the heart & soul of this board. They are not content to just critisise from the sidelines they step up & tell the trith as they see it.

I respect that ...

They put their credibillity on the line to critiique a fight & give a DEFINITIVE view of what they saw.

You can't expect more than that ...

GorDoom

vCash

Thanks so much Gor. I really appreciate it buddy! We do what we can and fake the rest.

Tonight’s broadcast crew is Steve Albert and Al Bernstein. First up on the card will be the IBF Bantamweight Championship between defending champion Rafael Marquez and #1 contender Silence Mabuza.

vCash

Should be a quick one steve. Last time out It seemd like Marquez would take him out, ended to soon tthough, it was on cuts wasn't it?
    Last edited by ricky; 08-05-2006 at 09:14 PM.

vCash

IBF Bantamweight Championship: Rafael Marquez – Silence Mabuza

Round 1:

All Marquez. The first 2:30 he hits Mabuza with every punch he's got, at 2:35 he staggers Mabuza. 10 - 8 Marquez.

vCash

Round 2:

Marquez taking his time but he’s taking a toll on Mabuza, who’s bleeding through the nose. At 1:55 Rafael DRILLS Silence in the Mabuza Family Jewels. Mabuza, to his credit, lands his best shot of the fight right before the bell. Marquez 10 – 9, 20 – 17.

I think you’re right Ricky; Marquez looks the part so far…

vCash

Round 3:

Mabuza is starting to get to Rafael. Great exchange at 1:45 Crowd trying to get Marquez pumped but Mabuza still in Rafael’s grill. Closest round of the fight but still goes to Rafael 10 – 9. 30 – 26 Marquez

vCash

Round 4:

In my humble opinion the fight’s just changed. Mabuza is now getting the better of Marquez, landing in bunches. His jab became highly educated in the round, where was it 3 rounds ago? Silence’s left eye is swelling too. 39 – 36 Marquez.

vCash

Round 5:

Marquez early, Mabuza late. He’s starting to put some hurt on Marquez. The fighters trade rough shots at the bell and Marquez knows he’s in a brawl. Mabuza steals the round, 48 – 46 Marquez.

vCash

Round 6:

A low blow from Mabuza wakes Marquez up. Rafael’s best round but Mabuza lands his best shots of the bout. Silence rocks Rafael’s world at 2:50. Another close round for Mabuza. 57 – 56 Marquez.
    Last edited by Steve Coughlin; 08-05-2006 at 09:53 PM.

vCash

Round 7:

Mabuza not letting Marquez get into a groove. Silence boxing on his toes and doing it well. Marquez coming forward but it wasn’t too effective.

Even round. 67 – 66 Marquez.
    Last edited by Steve Coughlin; 08-05-2006 at 09:53 PM.

vCash

Round 8:

Things heat up in the 8th. The fighters trade quick, hard combinations with Rafael coming forward. With less than :10 Marquez rocks Silence. 10 – 9 Marquez, 77 – 75.

vCash

Round 9:

Marquez’s best round of the fight. He hammers Mabuza post to post for over 2 minutes but to Silence’s credit he stays on his feet. 10 – 0 Marquez, 87 – 84.

Wait a second ... the fight’s just been stopped before the bell for round 10. Mabuza’s corner decides to call it. Marquez gets out of Tahoe with a really hard earned win and moves to 36-3, 32. Mabuza drops to 19 – 2, 15.

vCash

The WBO Interim Featherweight Championship: Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Terdsak Jandaeng.

And now it’s time for the main event of the evening, 12 rounds for the WBO Interim Featherweight Championship between Juan Manuel Marquez and Terdsak Jandaeng. The winner will get a shot at Scott Harrison, provided Scott can control his inner Begbie. But first a word from our sponsors...

vCash

Beer Good

When I’m looking to get KOd and I can’t find John the Beast Mugabi, I reach for a bottle of Old Rasputin Stout. Old Rasputin gives you the smooth, creamy stout flavor of a Guinness with over 3 times the alcohol content. So try and drink a four pack – you’ll be down for the full ten. Rasputin Stout is a product of the North Coast Brewing Company, Fort Bragg, CA.

Available at finer liquor stores & chemical facilities near you.

vCash

Round 1:

Tonight’s ref is Jay Nady. The wind’s really picked up and could be a factor as the sun sets. Marquez does a bit more but both fighters land a few hard shots in the round. 10 – 9 Juan Manuel Marquez.

vCash

Round 2:

Not much to choose from for the first 2:25 but right then Juan Manuel drills Terdsak and jumps all over him. With less than 10 seconds Marquez drops Terdsak with a savage left uppercut.

Marquez 10 – 8, 20 -17.

vCash

Round 3:
    Things get worse for Jandaeng when Jay Nady takes a point for hitting Marquez low. Just when you think Marquez is getting ready to walk all over him, Jandaeng hurts Marquez with a couple of solid lefts from the southpaw. 10 – 9 ,30 – 26 Marquez

vCash

Round 4:

Good exchange at :30 mark. Jandaeng starting to land more often & more meaningful punches. Best round of the fight for Jandaeng, so he gets the nod 10 – 9. 39 – 36 Marquez.

vCash

Round 5:

The hard shots both guys are landing are starting to take a toll on their faces – both guys eyes swelling badly. Marquez does a lot more and takes the round 10 – 9. Marquez 49 - 45

vCash

Round 6:

Jandaeng down again at 2:35. from another uppercut – this time the right. Marquez battering him as he comes in but somehow Terdsak stays on his feet. 10 - 8 Marquez, 59 - 43.

vCash

Round 7:

Marquez closes out the show in the 7th at 2:23, and by the swelling on his face not a round too soon. This was a rough fight even thought Juan Manuel was comfortably ahead on the cards and had Jandaeng down twice.

That's the show and I am outta here!

Good night everybody!

vCash

efren : "alacron" torres came to mind tonite...

these marquez bros. are like scorpions. i know efren already owns that handle but alacron would apply to either one of these fighting brothers.

rafael is a dangerous puncher. mabusa gave it his best shot but he was in with a guy he just can't beat.

i was surprised jaedeng made it out of the first. when he did he proved to be a strong guy with a solid left hand. why juan manuel abandoned his uppercuts after the first round success he had with them ...i don't know, but thats when it got tough for him..or tougher. i don't know if anything is too tough for him.

overcoming a bad eye and taking out a tough fighter the way he did was impressive.

best 25 bucks i have spent... so far.
    greg

vCash

JMM used a more "fan friendly" style (opened up more often and put more mustard on his combos), but did not look as sharp defensively. Got hit with too many left hands and his eye looked terrible at the end. I hope he's not listening to his detractors too much, because that may mess up his style real good. The power of his combos was for real, though. Recall that Joan Guzman, a bigger guy who is considered a hard puncher, hit Jandaeng with the kitchen sink and never really hurt him.

vCash

These were a couple of very good fights.

Both Marquez brothers remind me an awful lot of Ricardo Lopez. Both guys are technically sound and when you couple that with their aggresiveness and heart they can make for some excellent fights.

Juan Manuel looked the best I have seen him look in a number of year. Rafael, as always, performed wonderfully. I'd like to see more of the brothers again - and soon.

Juan Manuel vs. Scott Harrison would be an excellent fight.

Rafael is moving to 122 and a fight with Israel Vazquez would be a good one.

I forgot how good a fighter Juan Manuel Marquez really is. Last night, he reminded me.

vCash

Juan Manuel Marquez vs Terdsak Jandaeng

Rafael Marquez vs Silence Mabuza
    Last edited by kikibalt; 08-06-2006 at 09:13 AM.

vCash

I was annoyed by Jay Nady taking a point from Jandaeng for hitting low. It had absolutely no bearing on the fight. Marquez was guilty of the same thing but no deductions. Nady has a bad habit of interfering with the action, I cringe when he enters the ring. Where’s Ron Lipton when you need him?!

Austin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast