Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I miss the Boxing magazines

vCash

I miss the Boxing magazines

I remember back in the day walking down to the local newsstand with allowance in hand or money made by pop bottle deposits and buying monthly titles of The Ring,KO,World Boxing and International Boxing(as well as some others).I always enjoyed picking these up and reading about the goings on,interviews,articles,pictures,results and the ratings.Sadly other than The Ring(I still have to go out of my way to even find that at stores)I haven't seen KO or any of the other titles on shelves for a few years.I'm not even sure what titles other than The Ring are still even published.I guess with the popularity of the internet the newsstand magazines have become obsolete but I still miss having an actual copy in my hands.Besides,you just can't bring the computer to the crapper to read like you could with the magazines.
    Seriously I miss them.Anyone here feel the same?

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: I miss the Boxing magazines

Have you ever checked out the CBZ's magazine, Wail!? We've been publishing it for 12 years. There's a link at the top of the page for it. & you can always print it out & read it on the crapper!

Personally I don't miss the mags. Because of the internet they've become hopelessly outdated by the time they hit the stands.

regards,

GorDoom

vCash

Thanks Gor.

I'll check it out.
    I still miss the mags though.Back in the day without the internet they were useful and you could get the worldwide results (even though several months old) which was pretty neat.I guess it was just fun actually walking to the store and the anticipation of reading about the goings on.Good memories of a time that's gone forever.

vCash

omg65
    I see you're going down on a sentiment journey, hey, nothing wrong with that I like going down memory lane myself now and then, beside when you get as old as me all you have left is memories.

Frank B.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt
    omg65
    I see you're going down on a sentiment journey, hey, nothing wrong with that I like going down memory lane myself now and then, beside when you get as old as me all you have left is memories.

Frank B.
    You're right Frank.Even though I'm only 40 I still sometimes long for the days of 4 channels on TV and no information overload.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Hey, OMG, let me know what you think of our magazine.

GorDoom

vCash

You miss the point Gor...I know exactly what they mean...you had no choice but to wait for the once a month they came out...World Boxing, International Boxing, Big Book of Boxing were great...the graphice, seeing a great photo of your favorite fighter against a cool background, super colorful graphics... God, I must have purchased every one for over ten years...stuff on the web cannot compare..it's a completely different thing...

Let's list some of the most memorial issues which stand out...

How about when Duran defeat DeJesus for the third time...the cover had Duran from the waist up, holding his hand up to the crown as if seen from ringside with a purplish background...the text read "Duran: Nobody Does it Better" ... a play on the theme from the then popular "Spy that Loved Me / Bond film....

vCash

boxing magazines were fun for the historical stuff they could dig up. As for current fights, the two-month time lag between bout and publication always drove me nuts. Who wants to read about two month old fights?

vCash

I still get all the boxing magazines....I collect them. I have over 2,000 magazines dating back to the mid 60's. Yeah, by the time I get 'em its about a month after the fights have happend but, as a hopeless, die hard fan I still enjoy reading them.

When I was a kid the magazines had more articles about fighters in addition to results from around the boxing world.

vCash

I remember as a kid waking up going out to met some friends . Nabing a N.Y. Daily News from a neibors front porch . We got around a park bench to read about the Ali - Frazier fight the night before . Some thing about having the paper in your hands and being unpluged . It just seems better .

Igoe

vCash

times changed man...i read every word of those mags....but they went out with the dime soda pop.

my mother and sister threw out 20 yrs. of monthlys. i took an out of town job and left the mags in the garage...they had no idea.

we get the news faster now but somehow its not the same. i have done a few fight reports and they fade away quickly. it would be nice to know that they were in a box in someones garage...but thats the times man.
    greg

vCash

OMG65:

I know exactly what you are talking about!

Buying the boxing magazines that came out monthly was like a ritual for me as a kid. I remember also the dry, wooden aroma of the magazine stores...generally they only sold papers, magazines, and tobacco supplies. There was a certain ambience to those places, and to this day I associate it with the boxing magazines.

The magazines on the market when I was a kid were Ring, World/International Boxing, and Boxing Illustrated. Later, in the early '80s, KO Magazine was added to the mix.

Yeah...it was fascinating...wondering what feature stories would appear in the upcoming issues, how the magazines would look at the latest fights, what fighters would get praised, which ones would get panned, etc.

vCash

I still remember reading those magazines as a kid, especially Ring Magazine. In fact, during the seventh grade, my Ring magazines were so dog eared from repeated reading that whenever I wrote a piece on boxing for English, no doubt whole phrases, sentences and occasionally paragraphs found themselves subconsciously regurgitated in the body of my work. It was the darnedest thing!

Still to this day, now and again I'll visit a Barnes and Noble or Borders Book store to visit with a friend or a prospective client for my DJ side business, and when I arrive early, I'll grab a boxing magazine, along with a pile of mags on art, interior design, music, martial arts and/or architecture.

That said, I was so relieved back in the later 90's when I discovered that I could get almost instantaneous results on fights via the Internet, as opposed to having to wait two months to find out about a fight not covered by the media that I wanted to know about. That, and being able to read and post messages on this sport we love, but so many malign, really got me fired up.

Coincidentally, that's around when I started posting on the CBZ message board. After my divorce in 1997, I found solace and a great diversion within these hallowed Internet walls. Several years later, it dawned on me that, hey, if I could write for the CBZ, I could get a press pass and watch the fights for free. Thankfully, Gordoom agreed, and the rest is history for me!

So, do I miss the mags now and again? Sure, but I really appreciate what we have here even more. It's terrific.

Cheers,

Juan C. Ayllon
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 08-10-2006 at 12:17 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gregbeyer
    my mother and sister threw out 20 yrs. of monthlys. i took an out of town job and left the mags in the garage...they had no idea.
    The same exact thing happened to me...12 years of boxing magazines in my case. They were stuffed in a corner of a closet in my family's home and I had moved away, as I had graduated from college.

My family didn't realize I never intended for those magazines to be tossed...

vCash

I'll tell you an interesting sidebar about the World/International/Big Book group...when Larry Holmes was first a champ he recieved so little fan mail that several of the editors came up with a fictious fan who they called Luthur Jackson, who would have a letter appear in each issues letter's column and rant and rave about his "main man" Larry Holmes...I remember this because for years he was almost a one man Larry Holmes machine...years later when I interviewed a former top staffer, I found this out. He told me it almost got difficult as Larry was so touched by the guy's writing that he kept calling the magazine and saying he wanted to fly the guy to a title bout..they kept putting Larry off by saying they could not reveal identies...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DscribeDC
    boxing magazines were fun for the historical stuff they could dig up. As for current fights, the two-month time lag between bout and publication always drove me nuts. Who wants to read about two month old fights?
    I know what you mean about the time lag on reporting results but until the early/ mid 80's with the arrival of the all sports networks and the USA Today newspaper,those magazines were just about the only resource for comprehensive fight results.Sure you heard and read the results of the mega fights and knew the results of the many free network fights on weekend TV but other than those fights what other source was there for coverage back then?There were many other fights back then that you knew nothing about because of the lack of news overload that we have today.
    I have checked out WAIL and am very impressed.I will visit it regularly now that I'm aware of it.Great job guys.It's just not the same to me though.I guess I was just a magazine buff and just couldn't wait for the weekly trip to the newsstand to read about the sport I grew up loving.There was something special about seeing all those great covers on the rack.It was kind of PT Barnumesque.

vCash

I subscribe to The Ring and buy KO and International Boxing when I can find it.

The only time the mags are 'hopelessly outdated' is when they do issues like the "Hopkins V Toney - A Fight Worth Svaing" cover issue they did a while back or when they speculate on fights that are rumoured, yet don't eventuate by print time.

The writing in the magazines, and editing, are usually far superior to most internet based writers. While it's of course awesome to have the net, especially living in Australia where you only have limited access to the sport, the net doesn't always give as much attention to detail.

You also have to consider the way you write for electronic media is much different than the way you write for print. The depth of print articles allows for a much deeper analysis when you have top class writers, and more stringent editorial processes.

As one that enjoys photography, the print media is also generally superior to the internet in terms of picture quality and photography in general. Boxing is one of the best sports to photograph in terms of capturing clasic images - Everything from the distortion of Jersey Joe Walcotts face being mangled from a Marcaino right hand (that a lot of people still mistake for 'the punch') to the expression on Oscar's face as he hooks Mayorga on the recent cover of the Ring, I like seeing it in print.

I should buy me some WAIL action...
    Last edited by doomeddisciple; 08-10-2006 at 09:17 AM.

vCash

Im totally with ya. I miss them too. In the UK we have a no frills weekly called Boxing News which is strictly photos + reports, nothing else. No fun. We also have a very dated & boring Boxing Monthly, which is exactly the same template every month, no interesting interviews or fresh perspective, just boring (and bad) writers like Glyn Leach, Graham Houston and Steve Farhood. and very expensive too (NINE dollars in your money!!).

I have all my old Boxing Illustrateds from the early to mid 90s. Great coverage, letters pages, unbiased rankings, indepth interviews, round the world results + reports, a whole section dedicated to classic old time fighters, it was awesome, miss it so much. The Ring was ok, but all the others, KO, World Boxing always had embarassing cheesy covers & stupid articles & headlines, way too young and 'wrestling' styled. Some of the writers were also wrestling writers which showed in their work. Throw away shit.

vCash

In downtown Chicago there was a magazine store at State and Randolph which was a sports enthusiasts dream. It had rows of World, Int'l, Ring magazines, man, I was in my glory. That was about 30 years ago. The other day I was walking in that area, the shop long gone, but across from where it stood was a Borders. I went in and again, a sports enthusiasts dream, but no boxing, not one. The internet can take the blame for some of this, but why are other sports still thriving in the magazine dept.? Maybe because people can understand the other sports, whereas our sport has become so knee-deep in titles and divisions, the regular guy can't follow the sport anymore. I don't know, but I will tell you this, 30 years ago i could name every champ (WBA and WBC) and the title fights they had during the year and the Euro, Commonwealth and British champs and their lineage. I sure as hell couldn't do it today and believe me, it has nothing to do with memory, it's just too damn convoluted.

Dan

vCash

I know what you mean Dan.There were multiple boxing titles at my newsstand even up to the mid 90's.In the 80's I could name every WBC WBA and IBF champion from Bantamweight up due to those magazines and the exposure boxing received on network TV.Not sure if that and 50 cents gets you a cup of coffee but still,it does speak volumes about the anonymity of todays champions and really the sport itself.
    Last edited by OMG65; 08-10-2006 at 11:36 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HE Grant
    I'll tell you an interesting sidebar about the World/International/Big Book group...when Larry Holmes was first a champ he recieved so little fan mail that several of the editors came up with a fictious fan who they called Luthur Jackson, who would have a letter appear in each issues letter's column and rant and rave about his "main man" Larry Holmes...I remember this because for years he was almost a one man Larry Holmes machine...years later when I interviewed a former top staffer, I found this out. He told me it almost got difficult as Larry was so touched by the guy's writing that he kept calling the magazine and saying he wanted to fly the guy to a title bout..they kept putting Larry off by saying they could not reveal identies...
    Wow...that's fascinating to know. I vaguely remember "Luther Jackson" from World/International Boxing's forum.

vCash

The old Ring had a section in the back called "Rings around the World", where they posted results from everywhere. Clubfights and all. I kind of miss that. But I sure love the instant access of the web for results. And as we all know, we get the hang time with everyone here at the CBZ.
    Gary

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HE Grant
    I totally rememer "Luther Jackson"! Hearing this story, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It makes me feel a little bad for Larry... Then again, it's kind of cool that the editors wanted to give Holmes a bit of extra appreciation.

I miss the boxing magazines, too. Until recently I had a decent collection dating back to the 50's, but I sold them on eBay to help pay for college expenses.

I've just moved to Washington, DC, and I've found that several (well, three or four titles) boxing magazines are available at the Tower Records on Pennsylvania Avenue, and at the little newsstand in the same building. Strange to find them in two shops in the same building when they probably aren't available in entire US states.

vCash

Sweetsci: I'm glad someone does remember Luthur...he was in almost every issue praising his "main man" Larry Holmes..what I wrote was a 100% true story...at least as it was told to me very matter of fact...I woul not feel bad for Larry today...he gets mobbed pretty much whenever he leaves Easton...through it all he has held up well...still, I can understand how the story pulls at the heart a bit...

vCash

I subscribe to the Ring magazine and its two sister publications. While it is outdated, I like to have something to look at that is not on the computer.

vCash

I agree with the person who started this thread. It was good to go to almost any store and find Ring, KO, or Boxing Illustrated. It is hard to find any of them now.

vCash

I've got a collection of boxing magazines that stretches from 1981 right up until today. I haven't counted them recently, but 10 years ago I had around 600.

I still subscribe to The Ring, KO, Boxing 2006 and World Boxing. At the end of every year you can sign up for all of those magazines at 50% off the regular price. It's a helluva deal considering some of those magazines go for $6.99 and $7.99.

I like them because they are tangible and if I'm working on an idea or a story I can go into the filing cabinets and look up some old, interesting piece of history. I've got them all filed away, in order, and many of them are in the same condition they were 25 years ago. It's really something to go back and read the articles on Tyson, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler and Duran.

The other day I came across an article on the Baltazar brothers which was a lot of fun to read considering that Frank is a regular contributor to this site. As a kid, I would never have dreamed that some day I could communicate with Frank Baltazar anytime I wanted to. It's just cool.

As a kid, I used to go to my local, corner convenience store and buy the magazines. I used to get so excited. Do you know that they were only $1.25 in 1982?

I'm the only person I know of that has had letters published in those magazines in three different decades. The 1980's, 1990's and the 2000's.

Banned
    vCash

Re: HE Grant and Sweetsci

The first Boxing Illustrated I ever, um, bought was fifty cents. Hooked, I also got that month's Ring, priced at seventy-five because it was an extra-large edition reviewing the year before. It, too, dropped to fifty the next month. I hardly ever buy any since the Internet and its immediacy came into my life. PeteLeo.

vCash

Naf: Your right, Balitmore.

vCash

Nowadays I might pick up a new magazine if I notice one, but I don't go out of my way looking for them. I will always continue to collect old boxing magazines, especially anything pre-1960, actually pre-1950 now as I have pretty much got all "Ring" mags that were published in the 50s thru around 1994 and I have a lot of pre-1950 "Ring" mags, but I still need a lot of issues to complete the set...especially 1920s "Ring" mags, which I only have a few issues of.

They are just too expensive for my blood, but you can sometimes run across issues that are complete except missing the cover and you can usually get those at a good price, which I mainly collect the mags for research so I'm not picky about condition as long as all the articles are still they're and especially as long as the pages are not crumbling. "Ring" 1922 thru 1954 is probably my favorite of all and I really like "Boxing Illustrated" between 1958 and the middle 1960s as well as the earlier Stanley Weston mag "Boxing and Wrestling," of the 1950s they were all good magazines.

I also really like “The Veteran Boxer” which was published very erratically, but I have been able to get several issues of that publication that focus on historical boxing and the Ring Veteran Clubs and Committee’s.

“Self Defense” was a really good publication during the late 20s and early 30s as was “Boxing Blade” and U.S. “The Boxing News.” Earlier publications that I really like are “Mirror of Life,” “National Police Gazette,” “The Referee and Announcer,” When it comes to fight results “Ringside Boxing Record” was a tremendous publication and one that seems to be very rare nowadays as I have only been able to buy a couple of copies from ebay where they very rarely turn up every once an a while.

I also really enjoy some of the foreign mags such as "Australian Ring," U.K. Weekly "Boxing News" (the longest running boxing publication ever…published since 1909), "Mirror of Life and Boxing World" and also some of the foreign language mags, but they are very frustrating due to me not knowing any foreign language, but there are translator programs that will translate articles if a person feel's like typing out the articles.

I don’t know, ever since I got a computer I have quite buying any new boxing magazines though I will eventually probably break down and get all Ring mags only because I am trying to put a complete set together so I might as well get the new issues as well, but to be honest I just don’t care much about any of the newer boxing magazines. The quality just does not seem to be there in my opinion. The photo’s often look great, but there is rarely any new print that interest me…certainly nothing like the “Ring” of the 1930s

Paul Stevenson compiled a really good magazine index that was published in an earlier IBRO Journal of which he did a great job on, but I started compiling a magazine index myself several months ago, but I only work on it sporadically which below is what I have to date. In my Microsoft word format I have a jpeg image of each magazine, but they will not turn up here on the forum and the forum format is usually a lot different than the list I have in word, but anyway, here is a pretty good, but incomplete list of boxing magazines. I still have a lot of work to do to the list as you can tell:

Boxing Magazine Bibliography and Circulation History

Compiled by Barry S. Deskins

I put this list together as a reference tool. I used Paul Stevenson’s excellent list that appeared in an early IBRO Journal and got a lot of the information regarding dates, editors and types of publications. I wanted to make this a list of every boxing magazine, newsletter, newspaper or any other type of format and would like to have a photo of each to show what the publications look like.

The Amateur Boxer
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Amateur Boxing
    First Issue: November 1976
    Last Issue:

--1976-1977

Amateur Boxing Scene
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

American Boxing News
    First Issue: February 1971?
    Last Issue: August 1974?
    Tabloid Sized Newspaper

--1971-1974

The Announcer
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: This was a weekly publication out of Chicago. June 16, 1947 was Vol. II, No. 7.

The Arena
    First Issue: December 1928? (October 1928?)
    Last Issue:

The Arena and Strength
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Australian Ring Digest
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: Published by Dominion Publications.

Bang (US)
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

When Eddie Borden quit, Billy Stevens took over in 1937.

Big Book of Boxing
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

The Big Fight
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: In tabloid format.

Box On
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Box y Lucha
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: This newspaper style publication had a very long run in circulation.

Boxe Match
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Boxiana Review (US)
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Boxing
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

Boxing 1985-2005
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

The Boxing Analyst
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Boxing Annual
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

A Whitestone Publication

Boxing Annual
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Rostam Publishing. Edited by Stanley Weston

Boxing Beat
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

COLOR BOXING MAGAZINES WITH CENTER-FOLD PIN-UPS

Boxing Beat
    First Issue: January 1978?
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Boxing Blade
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Boxing Buzz
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Boxing Digest
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: Called “Hank Kaplan’s Boxing Digest,” this magazine was very informative.

March to July 1979 are large format newspaper digest publications. All issues after are color cover magazine publications.

Boxing Dope
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

The Boxing Glove
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

Boxing Guide/Boxing Life
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: Tommy Kay’s Boxing Guide was published bi-monthly Magazine.

Boxing Illustrated/International Boxing Digest
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: In August 1996 Boxing Illustrated changed names to International Boxing Digest.

1958 November Vol. 1 #1 Very first issue.

Boxing International & All-Star Wrestling
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

Great Looking Publication with Fold-out Poster in most Issues.

Boxing Monthly
    First Issue: May 1989
    Last Issue:

Boxing News
    First Issue: September 11, 1909
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

The Boxing News
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

(February 1937)

Boxing Oddities & Anecdotes
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: Hank Kaplan’s Boxing Oddities & Anecdotes

Interesting publication detailing the myths, legends & entertaining stories throughout Boxing history.

Boxing Outlook
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

Boxing Review
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Boxing Review
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Boxing Scene
    First Issue: 1981 Annual, followed by the February/March 1982.
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Boxing Today
    First Issue: January 1979
    Last Issue:

GLOSSY BOXING MAGAZINES WITH COLOR PHOTO’S

Boxing Update
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: Flash Gordon began in 1985

Boxing Weekly
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: This weekly publication had a short run as the competitor of Boxing News. It was in tabloid format. Ran from January 24, 1990 to January 9, 1991.

Boxing West
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Boxing World
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: 1990s newsletter

Boxing World
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Boxing & Wrestling
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Boxing & Wrestling (Complete Sports)
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Boxing & Wrestling News
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Canadian Boxing News
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Canadian Pro-Am Boxing
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Chicago Boxing
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Combat
    First Issue: March 1947?
    Last Issue:
    Notes: In Circulation in at least 1948

Decision
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

El Grafico
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Famous Fights
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Fight Beat
    First Issue: December 1983
    Last Issue:
    Bi-Monthly and then Monthly

Notes: ATTRACTIVE, GLOSSY BOXING MAGAZINE WITH LOTS OF COLOR PHOTOS

Fight Game
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: Published by Bert Sugar this was a very good magazine with glossy, color photo’s.

Fight Game (Starlog Press)
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: 1980s

The Fight Game (US)
    First Issue: June 1971
    Last Issue:

--Vol.1, No. 1: June 1971, 82 pages. Published by Three El Publishing of New York. Short-lived 82 page publication exploring the history of the sport.

Fighter
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

The Fighter
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: 1930s publication

First Round Boxing News
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

The Fist
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Fistic Fever
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: Memorabilia newsletter

Gladiator
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

The Illustrated Boxing Record (US)
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

In The Corners
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: 1980s newsletter

Inside Boxing (Starlog Press)
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

International Boxing
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

A Victory Sports Series Publication. Bi-Monthly.

International Boxing Annual
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

International Boxing Life (US)
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

--Mentioned in the July 1949 issue of Ring. Associate editor was Jock Waina of Detroit, so I’m guessing it was publ;ished out of Michigan.

International du Ring
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Jab
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Jack Dempsey’s Sports Magazine
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

Knockout
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Quarterly
    Notes: 1980s

The Knockout (US)
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Weekly

Notes: Founded in 1927. A Los Angeles weekly that had Billy Van as editor and publisher until he died in middle 1949.

The Knockout
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: 1920s

KO Magazine
    First Issue: April 1980
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Great looking magazine with color centerfold pinup poster in most issues.

KO Mundial
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

La Boxe & Les Boxeurs
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: The January 1914 issue was Volume 6, Overall Number 215. I know that it went to to at least number 239.

Madison Square Garden Magazine & Program
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

Main Event (US)
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

A weekly publication that was launched in Los Angeles, California sometime around 1949. Editor and Publisher was former welterweight Artie Dorrell.

Mid-American Boxing News
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: 1980s newsletter that later went by American Boxing News

Mirror of Life and Boxing World
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

National Boxing News
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: Published by Lou Thomas in the 1960s.

The National Police Gazette
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

Naz News
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

New England Ringside
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Neutral Corner
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Nueva York Pugilista
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Official Ringside
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

On The Ropes
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

April 2001 was Vol. 1.

Redhead Sporting Weekly
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: Long running weekly paper out of Oakland that lasted until the last 1920s.

Referee and Redhead
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

The Referee and Announcer
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

Referee
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: Long running weekly out of California that started around 1904.

Referee
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

Rekord
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

The Reporter
    First Issue: (June 1965?)
    Last Issue:
    Notes: Rare Smaller Digest-Sized Veteran’s Boxer Publication Edited and Published By Babe Orlando out of New Jersey. 10-12 pages each.

El Ring
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

The Ring (US)
    First Issue: February 1922
    Last Issue: Currently still running monthly

Ringside
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

Ringside Boxing Record
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

(****)

Notes:

Ringsider
    First Issue: November 1945
    Last Issue: January 1950?
    Monthly
    Notes:

Ringsport
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: March 1964 was they’re fifth year of publication.

Self Defense
    First Issue: April 1927
    Last Issue:

Notes: Self Defense magazine also had some special issues called “Boxing Classics of the Ages.” These issues covered the best of various divisions. The Summer Number, July 1928; Volume 1, No. 2 covered heavyweights. Self Defense also put out two very good record books in 1929 and 1930.

South African Boxing World
    First Issue: August 1977?
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Southern Boxing Association Newsletter
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Southern California Fight Scene
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Swing
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

T.K.O.
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: A weekly that began in 1946.

Tonight’s Boxing Program & Weekly Newsletter
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: Classic put out by Flash Gordon that had a long run of 522 issues. Controversial Weekly Publication favored by the Hardcore Boxing Fan of the Time. Digest sized Newsletter Publication. Many are fold-out issues.

True Boxing Yearbook
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: True Men’s Magazine Boxing Yearbook was edited by William A. Wise.
    Great annual publication.

True Fight
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes:

TV Boxing
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: Great Magazine with Color Cover. Lots of Photos & Stories.

TV Boxing: A Fan’s Handbook
    First Issue: Fall/Winter 1980
    Last Issue:
    Notes:
    Issued Quarterly
    A Fan’s Handbook TV BOXING

Unanimous Decision
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: 1980s newsletter out of Chicago.

Uppercut
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

The USA Boxing News
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: A monthly tabloid size paper.

The Veteran Boxer
    First Issue: May 1941
    Last Issue:

Notes:

Victory Sports Series Boxing Yearbook
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

Weekly Boxing Record
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: 1950s

Weekly Boxing World
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: 1950s

World Boxing
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:

Notes: A “VICTORY SPORTS SERIES” MAGAZINE

World Boxing
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

World Boxing News
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

World Boxing Scene
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes: A newsletter put out by Will Halley.

World of Boxing
    First Issue:
    Last Issue:
    Notes:

World Champion
    First Issue: January 1977
    Last Issue:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast