Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Letter to Jay Nady

vCash

Re: Open Letter to Jay Nady

OK, be honest with me Greg... as a friend... did my post make any sense... I think they're going to revoke my CBZ licence...

I didn't read the Ross book nor have I refereed a fight... seriously and sincerely, over to you Ron!
    Last edited by theironbar; 08-17-2006 at 05:06 PM.

vCash

Juan,

Amigo mio, I was trying to make you guys laugh.

Not only do I know Mike is the founder of the Twilight Zone here,
    but he is also my formidable attorney, so this dude I know well.

The NYSAC rule book which needs revision badlly which I would be happy to help them with once they stock the office with real boxing people instead of poltical pork appointees maintains that,

minor fouls include maintaining a clinch, holding among other things.

Pro Boxing is ruined by overly officious referees who have gotten their job by saying, "Look at me, I refereed in the amateurs." Yes we know that Mercante Jr et al but that is the problem, they still referee like they are there.

If you had a lot of fights yourself as a fighter, and you really know how to take charge to let two men earn their pay in a pro fight, one realizes quickly there is a huge difference in holding on for dear life like Hearns did with James The Heat Kinchen, and refusing to let go.

That boys and girls is "Maintaining a clinch."

If you watch the film of Sosa V Williams I, you will see how I let them fight with one hand free which was not holding and hitting which would be if one man was holding the other guy, and hitting with the other hand.
    If one man is holding the other fighter and that fighter hand is free, he can be allowed to fight his way out, as infighting is part of pro boxing for God's sake.

When Mercante Jr allowed Lennox Lewis to hold Michael Grant and hit with the other hand and getting a TKO that is holding and hitting which a pro ref would see, he did not.

The overly officious Nady who loves to mug for the camera when introduced seems to make bad judgement calls all the time, yet the Nevada boys think he is good and use him over and over.

Look at what they do with Randy Neuman and Mercante Jr in NY, Ron Scott Rabinowitz lets them ref again and again to spite the public and do them favors. Do you actually think him and Hugo Spindola the Commission Atty and Exec Director even remotely care how bad they screw up.

It's all poltical favors period.

Clinching is part of boxing, infighting is part of pro boxing, a good referee does not become invisible despite what Mercante Senior espouses.

If you don't see him he is doing a good job, yeah the world is flat too.

No, stay close, let them fight, when they are hopelessly locked up and cannot fight their way out, you tell them to stop punching and break.
    If they do not heed your command, that itself can me a MAJOR FOUL called,
    "Not heeding the referee's warnings about minor fouls."

Even then I will give a hard warning stopping the action, eyeball to eyeball, and so the judges and crowd can see and hear the command. If it is disobeyed over 3 times then point deduction is being flirted with.

I try not to paint myself into a corner being overly officious like Nady with unnecessary warnings which then make the ref feel he is obligated to act like a point deduction machine.

I have to see the fight but it sounds like he was really bothering the Russian with his constant interference. Eddie Cotton did that to Lennox Lewis.

No one influences me. I had Jesse Reid yelling like the Green floating head in Ghostbuster I, to deduct points from Junior Jones for simply tying up Canizalez in their fight. He worked the guy like Joey Giardello and broke when I told him to.

No one tells me what to do, I had too many fights to know, if you can't fight like a pro without crying, they are taking applications at ShopRite.

Hell man, the UFC is much rougher, grabbing a guy, tying him up and then breaking is fine, refusing to do so, is another thing.

I only DQ's one guy in my life, Charlie White Lightining Brown against Jake The Snake Rodriguez. Charlie coming off much cocaine abuse fought him in the Theater in MSG, for the State Jr Welter Title.

He would throw just one punch, grab and hold and refuse to let go. He was told to break, would break, then throw one punch more and grab and hold on for dear life for twenty seconds without letting go.

After three major warnings I had to DQ the poor guy for his own health.

Me, I let them fight. When they are hopelessly locked up, I know better than anyone, and I break them.

That simple.

vCash

peter,

as an attorney yourself you should know as much about grey areas as the next guy and as a friend i must admit to being confused here myself... confused a bit overworked and ......what were we talking about? we need a CBZ license ?
    greg

vCash

Thanks, Ron!

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the info! Good stuff, as usual.

I hope you have a great weekend,

Juan

vCash

Thank you, Mr. Lipton for your expert commentary on this subject.

I for one, feel enlightened.

Muchas gracias.

vCash

Greg -- I reread my post again and became more confused... BTW, I am starting a thread on Jose Napoles in Old Timers and would love some of your stories...

Ron -- great post as always -- honestly, one of my old law school profs wrote the constitutions for several small countries -- you should indeed write the boxing rulebook with annotations... the Annotated Lipton... I like the sound of that...

-Peter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12