Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carlos Zarate vs Ruben Olivares

pendleton23

Carlos Zarate vs Ruben Olivares

The ultimate showdown at bantamweight.I have no idea who would win this one.Who wins and why?

Ronald Lipton

I respect Zarate's record tremendously, and his wins especially over Zamora. When I saw Wilfredo Gomez destroy him at 122 which is a class that is ridiculous as you are either a bantam or a featherweight to me, he kept turning to the ref for help when fouled instead of wanting to kill him in return like a Fritzie Zivic would have done at welter.

Rockin Rubin could hit like a heavyweight, Gor-Doom told me he hit the heavy bag like a 200 lb man.

At his best Rockin Rubin tears his head off and busts those thin ribs. Olivares was just amazing to me, and his own partying is what beat him the most.

I bow to the West Coast guys like Frank Baltazar, Olympic and Gordoom on this one though.

StingerKarl

Olivares

Rockabye Ruben Ko 8 over Zarate
    Karl

dnahar
    I like Ruben over Carlos as well by KO. Ruben could box and bang, and on the inside he would chew up Zarate. Zarate wouldn't get the distance to land his best bombs.

But if you consider this the ultimate bantamweight matchup, I respectfully throw out Panama Al Brown, Eder Jofre, Terry McGovern, Manuel Ortiz, and Fighting Harada who are all on par with Olivares and Zarate for different reasons.

This is the one board where I know there isn't necessarily a bias toward the modern fighters.

Deepak

pendleton23
    Yes this is the ultimate match-up.Just lookwhat there records would have been if they met in there primes.

gregbeyer
    rock-a-bye ruben was a true marvel. in his hey day the only guy that could defeat him was him.

i used to go to the elks building in LA to see ruben train and to tell the truth his gym work was ,to me,rather mundane. he would just seem to be having fun in sparring not caring what the hell he looked like...just tapped at the heavybag. what i liked watching him work on was the double end bag. he would circle and wing his hooks and uppercuts with amazing precision. latter when i saw him fight those same shots looked so ferocious all you could do was pity the poor bastard that he was attacking. the murderous body punching left opponents offering their heads as a form of defence.

IMO he breaks zarate in half. matter of fact get ruben motivated to fight and he takes gomez on the same nite. zarate and gomez had their times but rock a bye ruben is an immortal. period.
    greg

vCash

Re: Carlos Zarate vs Ruben Olivares

These guys punches could cause an earthquake. This would be a sold out fight if these guys fought in California. I have to lean towards Ruben by kayo inside of 7 rounds. Then he would party like hell afterwards.

vCash

Rubin was a beautiful fighter. Move, hit, come forward, inside work. Zarate was a better puncher in terms of placement. I think Rubin would fight Zarate like he did Arguello. He would try and lure him in, and turn the tables in to a workrate\combination punching fest. If Zarate can take what Rubin gives out, he will win much like Arguello did, if not, he was will be beaten up and KO'ed much like most of Rubins opponents.

vCash

Ruben would have to walk through fire to beat Zarate. I'm the type of guy who doesn't judge a fighters career based on one fight. They are both great champions and heavy punchers I like the way Zarate takes these little hops to move in and out of range. Someone said Ruben was the better boxer. I disagree. Ruben was a good boxer but Carlos was better. With that said I will agree that very very few in boxing history could beat Ruben in his prime. Ruben would win but takes a beating. Ruben was a non stop punching machine.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    I'm the type of guy who doesn't judge a fighters career based on one fight.
    Neither am I.

vCash

Would be a war while it lasted. I would lean towards Olivares by TKO inside 5-6 rounds of a classic war. Zarate would be dangerous early, he might even floor Ruben, but I think Olivares was just a better all around fighter and mentally tougher.He'd start getting to Zarate by the 5th round andfinish him.

vCash

I think the rangy Zarate could control the distance and in doing so nullify any advantage Ruben might have. Much in the way that Saddler nullified Pep's advantages. Zarate keeps Olivares at the end of his jabs and power shots and doesn't let the stumpy banger get inside to do his damage. When he does Carlos could tie him up. I'll go with Zarate by mid-rounds KO, but I wouldn't place any money on it.

vCash

[QUOTE=Elwill7847;166316]Would be a war while it lasted. I would lean towards Olivares by TKO inside 5-6 rounds of a classic war. Zarate would be dangerous early, he might even floor Ruben, but I think Olivares was just a better all around fighter and mentally tougher.He'd start getting to Zarate by the 5th round and finish him.

Imagine the electricity in the air for this one?

vCash

What makes a great fantasy fight is when you can make a case for both fighters.

+ Reply to Thread