Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CBZ Board Regular, "Ice" John Scully, To Be Inducted Into The CES "Ring Of Honor"

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

CBZ Board Regular, "Ice" John Scully, To Be Inducted Into The CES "Ring Of Honor"

Update: Jose Antonio Rivera and "Iceman" John Scully
    By Media Report from Dog House Boxing

World Boxing Association super welterweight champion "El Gallo" Jose Antonio Rivera and retired boxer and present trainer "Iceman" John Scully will be inducted into the CES Ring of Honor during a special ceremony at the September 23rd "Night of the Rising Stars" Pro-Am boxing show at the Connecticut Convention Center in Hartford.

Rivera (38-4-1, 24 KOs), of Worcester (MA), is a three-time world champion. Last May, he captured the WBA title by flooring defending champ Alexandro "Terra" Garcia five times en route to a decisive 12-round decision. It marked the first

time that Scully had worked Rivera's corner as his co-head trainer. Scully (38-11, 21 KOs) captured a Bronze medal at the 1988 U.S. Olympic Trials and fought Henry Maske for the IBF light heavyweight title in 1988. Now a highly regarded trainer, he also handles Lawrence Clay-Bey, Israel "Pito" Cardona and Mike "Machine Gun" Oliver. Rivera and Scully join charter members Vinny "The Pazmanian Devil" Paz, Marlon "Magic Man" Starling, of Hartford, and "Irish" Micky Ward in the CES Ring of Honor, which honors some of the great modern era New England boxers. "This is our way of honoring and thanking some of the best fighters in New England history," promoter Jimmy Burchfield said. "Jose and John are class acts in and out of the ring. We're delighted to induct them into our Ring of Honor. They are inspirations to all of the young fighters on this card." "Night of the Rising Stars," promoted by Classic Entertainment & Sports, Inc. (CES), is dedicated to the memory of the late Hartford-based trainer Johnny Duke. Hartford's ageless star Willie "Will o' the Wisp" Pep (230-11-1, 65 KOs), three-time world featherweight champion, also will be honored at the Sept. 23 pro-am show. Three top amateur matches are also planned.

In a cruiserweight unification bout, USNBC and NABA title-holder Matt "Too Smooth" Godfrey (12-0, 7 KOs), now rated No. 10 by the WBC and No. 14 by the WBA, puts his belts on line against WBC Continental Americans champion Danny "Boy" Batchelder (24-2-1, 11 KOs), ranked No. 12 by the WBC, in their 12-round main event. Undefated prospect Matt "Sharp Shooter" Remillard (10-0, 7 KOs), of Manchester (CT), moves up in weight to fight undefeated Jose Hernandez (6-0, 2 KOs), for the vacant WBC Youth super featherweight championship in the 10-round co-feature. In an eight-round Special Heavyweight Attraction, 2004 U.S. Olympian Jason "Big Six" Estrada (6-0, 1 KO), of Providence, faces NAMA North American title-holder Cliff "Tyson Twin" Couser (26-10-2, 14 KOs). Hartford-native Cardona (35-6, 27 KOs), the former USBA & NABF lightweight title-holder, takes on intra-state rival Shaka Moore (9-10-3, 1 KO, of Norwalk (CT), in a six-round Special Welterweight Attraction. In a newly announced bout, former U.S. Nationals amateur heavyweight gold medalist Tony Grano (4-0-1, 4 KOs), of Hebron (CT), tangles with Mike Miller (2-3, 2 KOs) in a four rounder. Another Hartford native, USBO super bantamweight Oliver (15-0, 7 KOs), of Hartford, squares off against Oscar De La Cruz (4-3, 2 KOs) in a six-round bout, while exciting middleweight knockout artist (four 1st round KOs in 4 fights) Enrique "El Palo" Palau (4-0, 4 KOs), of Worcester (MA), meets veteran James North (8-13-2, 2 KOs). All bouts and fighters are subject to change.

Tickets for "Night of the Rising Stars," promoted by Classic Entertainment & Sports, Inc. are now on sale at the Connecticut Convention Center (860.249.6000) or by going on line at www.cesboxing.com. Ticket prices are $35.00, $50.00, $75.00, $100.00 and $150 Platinum VIP (not including Connecticut taxes). Special VIP corporate tables are also (8 seats per table) available for $3,000.00, which includes a full-page ad in the program, banner (supplied by sponsors) at the event and two live ring announcements. For more information call 401.724.2254.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: CBZ Board Regular, John Scully, To Be Inducted Into The CES "Ring Of Honor"

Hey Ice:

CONGRATULATIONS! That's quite an honor & well deserved my friend.

regards,

GorDoom

vCash

Hey Iceman,

Congrats! And I promise not to mispell your nickname "Icman" on your articles anymore...

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

John Scully is an amazing man let alone the epitome of a tough fighter.

Very few men have impressed me in my life like John.

He is a warrior of the mind, spirit and body and I am proud to be his friend.

He has the full visceral and spiritual understanding of combat and more importantly is a real man outside the ring.

Not one bullying bone in his body, a gentleman, a warrior and one of the most intelligent guys in the world of boxing that it ever produced.

Congratulations Ice,
    I wish I could be there like I was for the Rocky Marciano Awards to introduce you in the one of kind touch I put to these things.

your buddy always,

Referee Ron Lipton

vCash

I dunno Ron.
    I have seen ICE do plenty of bullying the last several years, but only on boxing message boards where he has a tendency to "been there and done that" kind of attitude to fellow posters.
    He hasn't done that much here as there are many of us including yourself that have laced them up.
    That being said; ICE was my pick as Trainer of the Year for 2004, and he will probably be the number one trainer in the sport of boxing within the next several years, bar none.
    Scully has admirable values and I can honestly say I have never heard or read a bad word about him.
    Karl

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

This is the CBZ. & as you know we don't tolerate that kind of bullying bullshit here, Karl. Everybody here is hard core into boxing on whatever level they may be. Having guys like Ice & so many others that join in is just icing on the cake.

I'm very proud of this board & that's because of the high quality of it's membership. & yes, that includes you, Karl.

Once again ... CONGRATS ICE!

GorDoom

Registered User of Colorful Quips
    vCash

Re: CBZ Board Regular, "Ice" John Scully, To Be Inducted Into The CES "Ring Of Honor"

That's great news. Congratulations John!
    Shawn

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Re: CBZ Board Regular, "Ice" John Scully, To Be Inducted Into The CES "Ring Of Honor"

Boxing Saturday Night in Hartford
    by Robert Mladinich from Sweet Science

Although he is just 39 years old, former light-heavyweight title challenger John “Iceman” Scully of New Windsor, Connecticut, has been feeling somewhat old in recent weeks.

A fixture on the New England boxing scene since his amateur days in the early eighties, Scully seems surprised that he is now considered by many to be a wise old sage.

That became very apparent when he learned that he was going to be inducted into promoter Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment & Sports (CES) Ring of Honor during a special ceremony at the “Night of the Rising Stars” boxing extravaganza in the grand ballroom of the spacious Connecticut Convention Center in Hartford on Saturday, September 23.

In a show dedicated to the memory of the late Hartford-based trainer Johnny Duke, Scully will be inducted along with his good friend and pupil, WBA super welterweight champion Jose Antonio Rivera of Worcester, Massachusetts, and living legend Willie Pep.

Past CES inductees include New England favorites Vinny Pazienza, Marlon Starling and Micky Ward.

“I’m happy to be inducted, but it’s making me feel old,” joked Scully, now a top-flight trainer who is never at a loss for words. “I still consider myself a fighter who trains fighters more than a trainer who trains fighters.”

Scully, who compiled a 38-11 (21 KOS) record against such championship caliber opponents as Henry Maske, Graciano Rocchigiani and Michael Nunn, won’t have much time to bask in the adulation of the scores of fans expected to be in attendance on Saturday night.

The show is being headlined by WBC USNBC cruiserweight champion Matt “Too Smooth” Godfrey, 12-0 (7 KOS), of Providence, Rhode Island, against WBC Continental Americas title holder Danny “Boy” Batchelder, 24-2-1 (11 KOS), who hails from upstate New York.

While Scully is not affiliated with either of those fighters, he either trains or co-trains three other hot local fighters on the show.

Matt “Sharp Shooter” Remillard, 10-0 (7 KOS), moves up in weight to battle undefeated Jose Hernandez, 6-0 (2 KOS), of Fort Worth for the vacant WBC Youth super featherweight title.

Former USBA and NABF lightweight champion Israel “Pito” Cardona, 35-6 (27 KOS), takes on Connecticut rival Shakha Moore, whose deceptive record of 9-10-3 (1 KO) belies an abundance of talent.

And USBO super bantamweight champion Mike “Machine Gun” Oliver, 15-0 (7 KOS), takes on Oscar De La Cruz, 4-3 (2 KOS), of Atlanta in a six round non-title bout.

Also appearing on the show is undefeated local heavyweight Tony Grano, 4-0-1 (4 KOS), and several top area amateurs.

Scully will be in the corners of Remillard, Cardona and Oliver, all of whom he believes are on the verge of making their presence known at a time when the sport could use some fledgling superstars.

“Matt is a beast in the gym,” he said. “He trains like nobody I’ve ever seen. It’s almost unnatural. He wants a title so bad. It’s like an obsession to him.”

Although Remillard will be engaging in his first ten-rounder, Scully worries more about the opponent than Remillard being able to last the distance if he has to.

“I keep telling Matt that when I fought in my first ten-rounders it was no big deal,” said Scully. “And Matt trains much harder than I ever did. In my opinion, ten rounds should be simple for him.

“This is a real good fight for him, against a real live opponent,” he continued. “I keep reassuring him and telling him to think more about his opponent than lasting the distance. This guy (Hernandez) is coming to win.”

Having scored impressive victories over the likes of Ivan Robinson and Golden Johnson, Cardona was once considered to have world championship potential.

But that was then and this is now. After a host of personal and professional setbacks, the 31-year-old Cardona now finds himself on the comeback trail.

“He’s showing glimpses of the potential he had,” said Scully. “But he’s going to have a tough opponent in front of him. I’ve known Shakha since he was an amateur. He’s got a very tricky style. What happens in this fight will tell a lot about what Pito has left and where he’s going.”

Although the southpaw Oliver has fought above his natural 122 pound weight in recent bouts, Scully believes that he is virtually unbeatable at super bantamweight. He and Oliver go back a long way, so Scully is not prone to exaggeration when discussing his protégé.

“I started boxing in 1982 as a 14-year-old,” said Scully. “Mike started the same year, as a three-year-old.”

Scully believes that Oliver, who has had more than 300 amateur fights, is probably the most experienced amateur in Connecticut history.

When Scully fought in his last Golden Gloves tournament back in 1988, Oliver was doing exhibitions throughout the state. He was so small, said Scully, his feet didn’t even touch the canvas when he sat on his stool.

“There’s nothing he hasn’t seen,” said Scully. “He’s getting ready to break out. When he does, watch out. He’s going to be a star.”

Tickets for Saturday’s show are on sale at the Connecticut Convention Center, phone 860-249-6000 or by going on-line at www.cesboxing.com. Not including state taxes, ticket prices are $35, $50, $75, $100 and $150 for platinum VIP.

vCash

I appreciate all the nice words, thank all of you... last night was a great night. Starling was in the ring to "induct me" etc. All was good. Show was very solid for the most part.

I will say, though, as far as "bullying"..... I have seen Karl say that about me before and let me tell you.. I never bully anybody...ever.... the only time I pull out my guns is when someone attacks me or gets stupid with me first. And I hear many people say that "just because you HAVE been in a boxing ring it doesnt mean this or that".... here is the thing in my view in regard to that: There are a lot of people on message boards, forums, chat rooms etc that never fought before that know a lot about boxing, a great deal in some cases. And when it comes to certain areas of boxing there are guys that never fought before that are far superior to me. I know guys, like Max Kellerman and Bert Sugar for example, that are very well versed in boxing history, old time fighters, dates and places etc. I would rarely find an instance when I could challenge them in their area of expertise. You could take guys like Larry Merchant, Jim Lampley, Gary Shaw, Don King, Bob Arum, etc etc that are extremely well versed in the area of the business of professional boxing, how deals are done, WHAT deals are done, who did what deals and how etc etc..... I get into it on boards with some guys and we debate certain things, sometimes I come out OK and sometimes not. BUT..... just like those people have their areas of experise I certainly have mine.... and IF Karl has ever seen me "bullying" someone by pulling out the I FOUGHT BEFORE AND YOU DIDN'T trick, well, I am quite certain that it was with reason. And the fact is, no matter how you want to slice it up and debate, there are many, many aspects of boxing -of being in that ring- that no amount of viewing will ever give you insight to. Respect the FACT, atleast, that there are aspects of boxing and fighting that someone that never did it could not ever argue with with someone that has. I usually find that the only people that can't see that for the reality it is... are almost always people that in fact never did fight before.

I like to put it in these terms to illustrate my point.... say you had myself, Teddy Atlas, Angelo Dundee, Larry Merchant, Emmanuel Steward, Dan Birmingham, Max Kellerman, Jim Lampley, and a journeyman fighter like Jose Spearman (a never ranked 168 pounder with a average to decent record who has fought some tough contenders and champs over the years) and someone came in the room and wanted an in depth interview on professional boxing and what it is like to actually fight, what it is like to be hurt, what it is like to have to fight through pain and suffering and nerves,what it is like to sit in that lonely dresing room and wait for some guy to come call your name... let's guess what two guys will be called to give their expertise????

There are those that watch fights and that ....fight. And with all respect to anyone and everyone that never has....still, nothing will change that statement.

vCash

Also... I agree with another thing you said... this message board is probably the best one I have yet seen for people with knowledge, good discussions, no fighting etc, etc. As you know, there are so many boards out there where some of the comments and obervations are so incredibly stupid, biased and ridiculous... some of the racial stuff, too, it is amazing that the posts don't get deleted immediately. Your board here, on the other hand, has been kept real professional and pleasant and fan friendly from what I have seen, I definitely have to give you guys that credit.

vCash

congradulations ice,

you are worthy of the honor and i look for you becoming one of the elite trainers in the near future.

you said something once about waiting for a fight to start. the nerves. a lot of us learned how to throw punches when we were young and may even have done some backyard sparring but leaving that dressing room to put it on the line in front of a packed house....thats where my respect for pro fighters comes in. its an intriguing form of courage that allows a fighter to cross that line...i hear you.
    greg

vCash

Greg , it goes like this:

www.IcemanJohnScully.com
    Quote: The wait in the dressing room before a professional boxing match -that last hour- could be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever pride, desire and heart he THOUGHT he had - Iceman John Scully, April 2002

vCash

Congratulations, ICE.
    Yes, I have seen you do that, and I have been guilty of doing that before myself.
    Unlike Kellerman, Kenney, and Lampley; I have boxed and at age 45, can still hold my own and stop a lot of guys younger than me.
    You have earned the night and good luck in the future John!
    Karl

vCash

Congratulations Iceman! I saw your fight against a much larger M-16 Mateen years back in the New Haven Coliseum and now you're quickly becoming a top trainer in the sport. It's always great when someone local (though Hartford and North Branford are not exactly neighboring towns/cities) makes it big.

I hope you continue to train world class fighters for many years and have much success as a trainer. How is the book coming along, by the way?

vCash

Thanks, KID. As for my book... coming along very well... I always put pressure on myself to finish and it never works out.. between the baby and the training fighters etc its' hard to focus on it sometimes... so I gave myself a deadline of early December (to coincide with Christmas). I think I can finish by then. We'll see LOL

Ice

vCash

Congrats Johnny for your honor. You deserve it and all other honors that come your way for being a fighter and a decent guy. Thanks also for useing my words to you about going in that ring! Reading them on your corner makes me proud. Youre a champ in my book and me and EVERYONE in the Oxford Federal Pen tv room thought he BEAT Mike Nunn. Black, White, Hispanic, everyone thought you won! Its hard for all these groups in prison to agree on stuff like this, but everyone thought you won. Never ever think you didnt my brother. Again congrats!

vCash

http://amazingforums.com/forum2/ICESCULLY/142.html

Use that link or go to my website message board..... and make your pick for the winner (and how) of Manfredo-Spina.

ICE

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

I negelcted to mention that Ice is not only a regular board member, he has also contributed some very fine pieces over the years to the CBZ magazine, Wail!.

Ice is one helluva writer as well as one of the most talented up & coming trainers in boxing. The CBZ is very lucky to have a man as talented as he contributing to our lash-up in cyberspace.

Congrats again, Ice. The honor was well deserved!

GorDoom

vCash

GORDOOM!! Does this mean when my book is FINALLY finished you will do a nice story on it (with photos!!)???

ICE

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Mebbe so ... Naw, just kidding, Ice. When your book comes out we will give it the full CBZ treatment like we do for all our writers that publish books.

You can count on that!

GorDoom

+ Reply to Thread