Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: submit top ten heavyweights

vCash

Re: submit top ten heavyweights

Hawk

The reason I ask was because I was there as the head coach for the Los Angeles G.G. team.

The Los Angeles 1973 G.G. team

Back row,That's me on the left, that's Randy Shield third from right .
    Front row in white T is Art Frias
    Last edited by kikibalt; 10-09-2006 at 07:04 PM.

Banned
    vCash

Well I once had

Randy's hair cut, so maybe I'm not that young.

Awesome pic. His face is a bit blurry, but it that Jimmy Lennon in the front row on the right?

Hawk

vCash

Re: submit top ten heavyweights

I read with interest the exchange about Jack Johnson and Sam Langford a few days back. I was finally able to find my clipping about their April 26, 1906 fight at the Lincoln Club in Chelsea, MA. Boston Globe, 4/27/1906 p. 6. For whatever it adds to the debate, it says that "There was no doubt about the decision being a just one for Johnson certainly outpointed him." The article reports that Langford's left eye was closed early in the fight, and he was knocked down in the sixth round. However, he "came back quickly and when the round ended Johnson was in as bad a way as Langford." Langford, who was "[o]utweighed by at least 40 pounds and a head shorter," was cheered when he left the ring because of his courageous effort. The Globe reported that the fight "does not add any lustre to [Johnson's] record." It also noted that "There were times when there was a scared look on Johnson's face, while Langford never once showed signs of flinching, even though blows were being handed to him hot and fast." Yet, "Johnson's left hand is his better one. He hooked it over to Sam's face and jaw quite often, and shot it straight to the face or swung it onto the body. Owing to Langford's bad eye Johnson did not have much trouble putting the right on the face and jaw, but there did not seem to be much force behind them."

Incidentially, I remember reading some claims by Johnson that he carried Langford. The clipping, however, says "Johnson did about everything to put Langford away . . ."

So, that's the story from the Globe, for what its worth . . .
    Last edited by raylawpc; 10-09-2006 at 06:29 PM.

vCash

Re: Well I once had

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    Randy's hair cut, so maybe I'm not that young.

Awesome pic. His face is a bit blurry, but it that Jimmy Lennon in the front row on the right?

Hawk
    Yes, thats jimmy Lennon.

Banned
    vCash

Sheesh Frank

DId Jimmy ever look young?

Kidding.

Other than Frias and Randy, any other names in the group we might recognize even on a fringe level?

Thanks

Hawk

vCash

Re: Sheesh Frank

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    DId Jimmy ever look young?

Kidding.

Other than Frias and Randy, any other names in the group we might recognize even on a fringe level?

Thanks

Hawk
    Front row on the left is Mike Stuart who had about 25 pro fights, and also on front row, third from right is Victor Abraham who had about 40 pro fights, on back row third from left is Roy Hollis who won the Nat. G.G. title that year, I believe at 156 Lbs or close to that. the rest of the guys I forgot their names.

Frank B.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234