Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hall Of Fame Dillemas

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Hall Of Fame Dillemas

Hall of Fame Dilemmas
    By Calvin Watkins from Max Boxing

The Hall of Fame ballot came in the mail the other day. Itís easy to say who should be in and who shouldnít. But itís a difficult thing when your checkmarks go by the ten names you must submit.

The ballot listed 45 names and only three were locks in my mind - Roberto Duran, Pernell Whitaker and Ricardo Lopez.

There are plenty of other fighters I have to do my research on and ask questions about, and the ballot had other fighters who are questionable Hall of Famers such as Donald Curry, Ernesto Marcel and Rafael Herrera. They might get in after an examination of their careers. Curry was the Fighter of the Year in The Ring magazine, Marcel beat the great Alexis Arguello for the WBA featherweight title, and then thereís Herrera, with two quality victories over Ruben Olivares.

So what do you do? Do you ask fight fans for help? Can you?

What do you do about guys like Joey Archer, who I think goes in with victories over Dick Tiger and Ruben Carter. Archer was the last man to beat Ray Robinson, yet his last two losses were to Emile Griffith.

Tommy Farr is another interesting name. The heavyweight born in Wales had a modest career fighting in Europe. But he lost to Joe Louis in his first fight in the United States.
    Jim Braddock and Max Baer earned victories over Farr too. Farr is a good fighter.

Good enough for the Hall of Fame?

Probably not.

Itís never easy.

The names go on and on and on. I have until the end of the month. Somebody will get in because they deserve it.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: Hall Of Fame Dillemas

I liked Joey Archer a lot. But there's no way in hell he deserves to be in the HOF. Yet former featherweight champ, Davey Moore, isn't even on the ballot ...

Total b.s.

GorDoom

vCash

Ricardo Lopez

I bet Lopez gets in right away.I'd rather see Jung-Koo Chang or Orlando Canizales get in as the token little guy.When compared to Ricardo,they have a better balance between talent and accomplishments.
    Last edited by starlingstomp; 10-06-2006 at 12:18 PM.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Too funny!!!

GorDoom

vCash

Who are the 45 candidates?

vCash

They should just give every fighter an induction certificate with his boxing license. It would be quicker and cheaper and they're going to get there anyway.

vCash

At some point, probably about now, both Halls should declare that there will no longer be a set number of inductees each year. People will be inducted as their careers merit it. If one year, there is no one to induct, so be it. If only two or three, alright. (If they keep on inducting a dozen folks a year, soon everyone will be enshrined, as the post immediately above implies.) But each hall has its ceremony, parade, and/or dinner, at which they make a lot of money. And they don't want to give up that cash cow by having no acceptable inductees one year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by starlingstomp
    Ricardo Lopez

I bet Lopez gets in right away.I'd rather see Jung-Koo Chang or Orlando Canizales get in as the token little guy.When compared to Ricardo,they have a better balance between talent and accomplishments.
    HA!

+ Reply to Thread