Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Jim Jeffries; one of the most under rated heavyweights ever

vCash

Re: Jim Jeffries; one of the most under rated heavyweights ever

Does that mean the guy named Schuyler Colfax who lives down the street from me really was Vice President?

Banned
    vCash

Pete

I'll go you one better:

Wilde Ko'd Joe Gans in 5 rounds in 1912.

Granted their is that Obit typo that showed that Gans died in 1910, but we can't let such nonsense ruin a good story.

Man with a resume showing wins over Papke, Gans and Sharkey....Wow.

Not bad for a guy 2 and 1/2 inches tall!

Schuyler who?

SHarks, we had 3 John Kennedy's in my hometown in Bennington, Vt.

Granted not nearly as cool a name as Mr. Colfax. But consider how privilaged I was growing up in a town where three presidents lived. And going to school with one of them! In the 70's and 80's!

Hawk
    Last edited by hawk5ins; 05-22-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey
    Does that mean the guy named Schuyler Colfax who lives down the street from me really was Vice President?
    That's the point: the guy who wrote the article on Wilde treated both of those wins as being over the actual champions Papke (never KO'd by anyone other than Ketchel, I think) and Sharkey (who could have carried Jimmy in his back pocket). My buddy wrote and mentioned the possibility that just MAYBE these were two other men, but the writer/editor would only admit that MAYBE Jimmy Wilde was just that good.

You have to look beyond the printed record. PeteLeo.

Banned
    vCash

To further Stuart's point here

Use Boxrec as a Cross reference guide. Or any record book for that matter.

Pete, I hope your buddy pointed out to the writer of this article that all he needed to do was look at Sharkey's or Papke's (or Gans's) records to show that Jimmy Wilde didn't appear on their fight records.

Kinda slams the book shut on that one I would think.

Hawk

vCash

Re: To further Stuart's point here

Wilde did fight a Billy Papke, a Joe Ganns (two 'n's) and Jack Sharkey - just not the famous ones.

Mind you, Dick Tiger once fought someone called Super Human Power. Beat that.

Banned
    vCash

Dick Tiger

Had a lot of great names on his resume. None approaching Super Human Power, but Easy Dynamite, Mighty Joe, Blackie Power and Lion Ring are all tied for second.

I also remember a fighter who went by the name of "HIM". I scoured BOXREC to find his name and came up empty. Assume it was a nickname and he's recorded under another name.

But with that, while doing my search, I did come up with a beaut of a name who once fought professionally: Human Scissors.

All Time, Human Scissors might rank up there with Super Human Power as far as all time great names for fighters.

Hawk

vCash

Him

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    I also remember a fighter who went by the name of "HIM". I scoured BOXREC to find his name and came up empty. Assume it was a nickname and he's recorded under another name.
    The fighter you are thinking of is Horst HIM Geisler a heavyweight who once fought Trevor Berbick.

I believe it was Ali that commented about Berbick "he beat one half of a towel set."

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    Use Boxrec as a Cross reference guide. Or any record book for that matter.

Pete, I hope your buddy pointed out to the writer of this article that all he needed to do was look at Sharkey's or Papke's (or Gans's) records to show that Jimmy Wilde didn't appear on their fight records.

Kinda slams the book shut on that one I would think.

Hawk
    It was Stevie V. He also told the author that Papke was probably in Australia when supposedly whipped by Wilde, but that didn't make an impression, either.

Funny thing: Stevie and Gordon had some friendly contacts in that periodical when Gor was writing as "Old Spitbucket," but when Stevie came here he got banned. Oh well, old news.

I'm trying to convince everyone that the "Jack Dempsey" Willie Meehan fought was a 4'8" imposter (since I think the best Dempsey takes the measure of just about the best Anybody Else), but I'm not having very much success so far. PeteLeo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeteLeo
    I'm trying to convince everyone that the "Jack Dempsey" Willie Meehan fought was a 4'8" imposter (since I think the best Dempsey takes the measure of just about the best Anybody Else), but I'm not having very much success so far. PeteLeo.
    That's preposterous.

Frankly, I think the time has come to confront the truth about the Dempsey vs Meehan bouts. Fat Willie was, in fact, fighting Jack Dempsey - the Nonpareil Jack Dempsey himself.

"Oh UpWithEvil," I can already hear you sputtering, "THAT Jack Dempsey died in 1896 from tuberculosis! How could he have been fighting William Harrison Dempsey some 20 years later?"

How indeed. What you are blissfully unaware of is that the reported fate of The Nonpareil was but a ruse to comfort the public. In fact, the original Jack Dempsey did, for all intents and purposes, "die" in 1896, but it wasn't TB that did it. Dempsey was actually infected with the dreaded "Reanimation Virus" and returned to unlife, craving the soft, sweet brains of the living. After 20 years of shambling undeath Mr. Dempsey was quite ripe and pungent, which is why he was fighting a doughy blubberpot in front of Navy men - where else could he perform and have nobody notice the aroma?

vCash

..... actually infected with the dreaded "Reanimation Virus" and returned to unlife .... 20 years of shambling ..... a doughy blubberpot.....
    Is it possible that he was re-re-animated decades later as one Buster Douglas? Tony Tubbs? Just about anyone in the current top ten?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345