Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyakovich-Briggs Results & Discussion 11/4/06

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Lyakovich-Briggs Results & Discussion 11/4/06

Juan Diaz won an easy decision over Angulo.

My wife should be home any minute now with the laptop & I'll report on the heavyweight bout as soon as she arrives. My desktop is in another room.

GorDoom

vCash

Re: Lyakovich-Briggs Results & Discussion 11/4/06

Juan Diaz is just a so-so fighter, he throws lots of punchs, but he does't have any power at all.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Agreed. But Mr. B, wasn't it kinda nice to see two guys fighting for a lightweight belt that ACTUALLY looked like lightweights?

GorDoom

vCash

Yes, I agree with you on that.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

During the intros neither looks good, Briggs overweight & Lyko- fuck it he's WW for white wolf - looks soft with slightly incipient man tits

GorDoom

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Briggs comes out mashing & puts WW on the ropes. WW escapes & gets back to center ring. & then they pose for the rest of the round,
    I guess Briggs for the early assault.

GD

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

The second round has slowed to a sluggish start. & the crowd is booing after more than two minutes of this crap. Maybe Briggs blew his wad with that early assault.

GD

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

After 3 if this "fight" doesn't pick up asap I've got better things to do on a Saturday night. Sorry if I'm copping out but I can't stand this heavyweight crap. These guys aren't even trying to fight.

GorDoom

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

After four color me gone. I got better things to do with my life.

GorDoom

vCash

This fight is better then a sleeping pill, if I want to go sleep.

vCash

Give me the little guys any time

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Briggs knocks him down in the 12th & after WW gets up Briggs knocks him through the ropes onto the ringside reporters & photographers & WW loses by TKO.

Btw: Though it sounds kinda like it in the 12th, WW v. Briggs was no Dempsey/Firpo.

A totally pathetic but perfect example of what is wrong with the heavyweight division today.

GorDoom

vCash

Heavyweight "championship" fights should be on the undercard of lower weight fights.

vCash

Yeah, the fight was a total surprising disapointment. After Lyak v. Brewster, I thought Lyak would fight a similar pace and the bigger, older, less sharp Briggs would be worn down and taken out.

However, Lyak completely fought Briggs' fight. Shannon could not have asked for a bigger gift from Santa Claus. Lyak fought a VERY slow pace, allowing the older Briggs to feel very comfortable in there and to use single quick counter shots and take very big breaks in between. Sergei's pace was very poor and slow, he would not step in and combo, would not follow up on advantages, did not move in or to the side after puncing, and basically would drop his hands when he threw and stand straight up and in range most of the time, allowing Shannon to occasionally sharpshoot him with solid shots, which made Sergei even more tentative and cautious because he knew Shannon could catch and hurt him. Quite frankly, it looked like Sergei was utterly lost in there and was pretty much out of shape, especially given the slow pace - he should not have been as tired as he seemed to be.

Shannon was no world beater in there. He fought very conservatively, cautiously as well, but that was the fight that he needed to do, and was the only fight that he could do at this point. Sergei was actually ahead going into the last round, being just a bit more active in most of the rounds (though that's not saying much), although must of the hurtful punches were landed by Briggs. If Sergei had stepped inside more, or moved side to side more, or held his hands up and used head movement more when he threw, or kept a faster pace, he could have won easily. But without any of those, he basically handed Briggs his best opportunity to pull this one out. Yet another example of how heavyweights today are total garbage.

vCash

Imagine what might have happened if either man had fought someone that actually wanted to fight!!!

And some people want to try and tell me that modern heavyweights are very superior to the old guys...not a chance in hell!

vCash

I consider myself pretty objective. I'm no old guy, not a nostalgist by any means, not a lover of the moderns nor hater, but have mostly lived through the modern era, while my collection contains most available footage on every heavyweight champion. I can objectively say that I don't think the heavyweights have been this bad for quite some time. The field is just SO BAD. Today, there is no Lewis, no Tyson, no Bowe, no Holyfield. Throughout history, there usually has been at least one or two real standout guys. A Larry Holmes as WBC champion shining in the era of the WBA musical chairs. Even a Floyd Patterson standing relatively tall amongst B guys. Someone we can look to and say, "He's the man." I just don't feel that now. Vladimir Klitschko seems to be closest, but even he seems so flawed. Weak chin, questionable heart and condition. Has an excellent performance here and there, but there's always the spectre of the fights when he folds. Reminds me of the era of the musical chairs of titles with guys like Sharkey, Carnera, Baer, Braddock, etc. Where's Joe Louis to come clean up this mess?

vCash

I was struck by the low level at which this fight was waged.

Little in the way of real boxing skills were displayed. There was only a few combinations thrown. Little in the way of real skills.

Liakhovich turned out to be a big disappointment. But, on any given night, all of these heavyweights can beat each other. Nobody is the alpha male.

All congrats to Shannon Briggs, but he won't hold the title any longer than Liakhovich did. His first defense is mandated to be against Sultan Ibragimov who is a very busy puncher and is a pretty fresh guy. I imagine Ibragimov will probably beat him.

This was a Mike Weaver over Big John Tate type of a win for Briggs.

My feeling is that if they can get a unification tournament going then Wladimir Klitschko will be the man to beat.

vCash

What an era of marginal talent......

I never saw a fight with fewer punches thrown. I believe Briggs might have averaged 10 punches per round. Lyak maybe 15 ...

Briggs was huge, liiking like a cooper version of the Rachman that fought Tua....270 pounds...amazing....he was 228 against Lewis...he looked like an NFL lineman...massive muscles but pumped up with water (or something) ...

I'm shocked Briggs possessed the power he does..the few times he managed to land hard through out the fight he really rocked Lyak and it surprised me as he took the best of Brewester...

I give Briggs credit for a truly clear and dramatic stopage in the 12th...he really flattened him ... however, I simply don't know what is wrong with the man and what makes him tick ... he appears to have huge talent in a poorly conditioned body. I remember hearing years ago he has asthma ... is this part of it?

Maybe he gets in better shape for his next fight, who knows? The only thing for sure is that he is a very colorful guy that is an excellent speaker, and can add a bit of color to the division before he is KO'ed which can happen at any time.

vCash

Briggs was their for the taking. This should have been an easy fight. Ssrgei didn't work Briggs at all. Briggs was blowing hard after the 2nd round. I don't understand Weldon telling Sergei to lay back and box. If he had taken the fight to him, land those quick cobos like he did against Brewster. this fight would not have gone past 7.

vCash

Let me add one more thing. Did I see the clock stop at 2:26 in the 12th round while Sergei was taking the standing 8 count? Shouldn't the clock have kept running?

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Underdog Briggs TKOs Liakhovich
    By Michael Woods from Sweet Science

For 35 minutes, it was the dreariest of the dreary, a slow-motion sleeping pill of a fight.

But in the final minute of the twelfth round of one of the very worst title fights youíll ever see, Shannon ďThe CannonĒ Briggs, a career underachiever, put his massive frame to good use. Briggs, the soon-to-be 35-year-old asthmatic, smashed Sergei Liakhovich thru the ropes, onto the scorerís table, and won the WBO heavyweight championship.

For the vast, vast majority of this fight, the only winners in this affair were the good people at Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona who showed admirable class in not raining down a hellacious rain of boos on both athletes for performing in such a startlingly lackadaisical performance.

But Briggs, who no one couldíve predicted would be in the mix in the twelfth round, came to life.

He knocked the 30-year-old Liakhovch, the Belarus-born Arizona resident, to the canvas, with three right hands. The first one hurt him a bit, the second one a lot and the third sent him to the mat. Liakhovich got up at five, but he was wobbly and his eyes were unfocused.

With 26 seconds to go, Briggs, who has not been known for his stamina, got back to work.

He tossed a one-two that sent Liakhovich back into the ropes. Liakhovich bounced off the ropes and Briggs timed it, throwing a mean right to the gut that doubled the champion over.

He followed with a scoring left to the head, and two glancing blows.

Liakhovich toppled out, between the second and third ropes, onto the officialís table. Referee Bobby Ferrara didnít bother giving Liakhovich time to re-enter the ring proper; he declared the bout over, at 2:59, Briggs, a congenial hulk of overflowing promise from Brownsville, Brooklyn, finally fulfilled his potential.

Briggs (48-4-1, 42 KOs) wasnít at his best on this night, but his opponent, Liakhovich, was at his very worst.

Incredibly, he didnít press the stamina-challenged Briggs, who weighed in at 268 pounds.

There is no real reason to dissect every round, as each one was a carbon copy, basically, of the last.

Liakhovich (23-2) was ahead 106-103, 106-103, 105-104 at the time of the stoppage, but this fight could have gone either way.

Briggs landed some telling blows to the head, while Liakhovichís best work was his right to the body.

Briggs, an intensely likeable chap who will be a breathe of fresh air into the division, if for his engaging personality if not his ringwork, said he would have gone home and shot himself if he hadnít pulled out the win.

Jim Gray, in his typical harsh fashion, summed up the 99% woeful, 1% scintillating fight, sparring with promoter Don King. Gray labeled the fight a severe stinker, and King disagreed vehemently.

To the promoterís credit, that last half-minute was a thrilling theater.

For Liakhovich, there will be time to ponder why he performed so dreadfully after showing so much talent and heart in winning the title in April. For Briggs, next stop should be Jay Lenoís couch.

vCash

>>>Let me add one more thing. Did I see the clock stop at 2:26 in the 12th round while Sergei was taking the standing 8 count? Shouldn't the clock have kept running?<<<

I noticed that also!!! I've read on another forum that by the time that Lychavich went through the ropes it was 3:00 minutes, which I don't know, I never went back and checked as the bout sucked so bad that I sure don't want to see a repeat, but if it was 3:00 minutes when Sergei went through the ropes then the fight should probably have went to the cards, but then again I do'nt know what the WBO rules are.

Regardless, it was a horrible fight! It was a fight that made John Ruiz look busy.

I've been a big, big critic of him, but Wlad would seem to be the class of the division...if I can use that phrase. We'll have to see how he does in his next few fights, but heavyweight fights like the one last night are becomming common place! It seems that there are a lot more slow, shitty fights than there are good, solid ones, which would seem to point to what I have said all along...these big, huge heavyweights simply cannot go but a few rounds!

I thought that they was going to have to carry Briggs back to the locker rooms, which if it had been a tough fight might have been understandable, but consdiering that he threw, what 100 punches, and did not take really any punishment at all, then well...it's just sad...plain fucking sad for boxing! There are several things that are slowly killing the sport and unfortunately fights like the one last night are helping to drive in the nails of the coffin!

vCash

It absolutely did stop. I saw it but did not follow it. There should have been no time left for the second knockdown unless it was figured in for the 2:59 stopage.

Vlad is the class ... he is extremely skilled...however he has a glass chin and it makes him really just one punch away...

vCash

Briggs has the worst stamina of any professional fighter I've ever seen. That's all I need to say about him. He'd get blown out in 6-7 rounds by Maskaev, Wlad, Valuev, even Sergei on a better night.

Speaking of him, Sergei did not look "all there" mentally during the fight. Afterwords, as he just sat there between the ring apron and table he was wedged between, he looked like he was having an emotional breakdown. I would not be surprised if Sergei suffers from some form of depression. He seemed really subdued and not the same guy who went to war with Brewster.

vCash

Did I see this? Did this really happen? Was this absolutely the worst heavyweight title bout of all time? Yes to all of the above. I still cant believe this thing. Briggs was there for the taking, stiff, out of shape, no wind, no flow and there was Sergi fighting the ONLY type of fight that Shannon might win. And then doing it according to a script of sorts with thirty seconds to go in the fight. What the f--k! I mean Liahovich was so bad that he actually PUT his head in the only direction the massive armed Briggs might be able to land, I mean in his only zone to land, at the end of a bout that he had pathetically won.
    Then to top it off they stop the clock during a standing 8 and then count him out with a second to go.
    Jesus, this was bad. Im not blaming boxing. I mean Sergi and Brewster fought a great bout. But how do you explain this? How the hell did Sergi fight at such a slow pace GIVING Briggs a chance. What the hell was Kenny Weldon thinking?
    I cant figure out this one at all..................

Administrator
    vCash

I think Liak got a taste of Briggs' power in the first and wanted no part of it afterward. This surprised me because I wouldn't have guessed Briggs would hit harder than Brewster but the way Liak took Briggs' shots all night, I may have to change my mind. Liak ran into a jab in the 12th that almost put him on his ass. He did move Liak around the ring with ease when he connected.

Despite that, Liak should have been able to box circles around Briggs. He has all the tools to do it and Briggs would have not had much of an answer. One thing that did surprise me about Briggs is his quickness. Although a completely over-muscled 270, he still has some speed for a big guy and I was amazed how he would counter with straight rights.

Liak should not have continued the fight past the first knockdown. He fell right into the ropes once he got up and appeared completely out of it, bad call by the ref IMO. The way he sat on that table afterwards further proved it for me & I don't think he sat there out of depression.

I still can't believe the guy who was so hurt in the 12 was the same guy who was in a life and death brawl with Brewster. What a shame...but isnt that the theme of the blubberweights lately?

I agree that Ibragimov would outwork the hell out of Briggs but he is so damn hittable that I think Briggs equally has a chance to knock him out of the ring as well...we will see.

Wlad is easily still the class of this division.
    He would have painted the Briggs that showed up last night.

vCash

I am completely convinced Sergei was not right in the head last night. I think he is suffering from undiagnosed depression.

vCash

No one here has mentioned Lyak's 74 inch reach and how it was a huge handicap against a giant like Briggs ...he could not come in without getting tagged, a problem he did not have against the smaller Brewster.

Administrator
    vCash

I honestly didn't see that as much as a factor. When Liak wanted to jab, it connected but he was mostly afraid all night to put more than one punch together. Briggs to my surprise did have the speed to counter Liak but overall it was Liaks lack of aggression and/or confidence that killed him. This fight was never a jabbing contest anyway & Liak isnt the type to lead with rights. His strength lies in work rate, combinations & movement which he offered none of the above. If Liak had stepped on the gas at all, it would have been a lot different. Whatever he got hit with in the 1st, I just think it spooked him & the way he reacted to shots in the 12th further solidified it to me.

vCash

Lyakovich-Briggs Worst fight I've seen in a good long while.

Klitchko Takes them both out with ease. Hell Even Valuev would'nt have much of a probelm IMO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast