Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: De La Hoya-Mayweather Pre-Fight Press & Predictions

vCash

Re: Floyd Mayweather Sr. Speaks Out

Other than him saying so. what has Mayweather ever done to warrant calling himself the greatest trainer. I asked Marlon Starling (who beat Mayweather twice) if that "Mayweather style" caused him trouble and he laughed and said "I didnt have trouble hitting him, if thats what you mean." Then he showed me how he solved that style and it was pretty much (boxing) common sense after he pointed it out

vCash

Mayweather Sr.?????

Floyd Senior is a clown. He's a great trainer? Other than him constantly SAYING IT what makes him so great? Think about that. It CAN'T BE his work with Oscar because I think Oscar looked better BEFORE he got with Senior. Remember the Sturm fight? And don't even tell me it was his work with Floyd JR. because number one Floyd Sr. wasn't even around for most of his later and amateur and pro career and, 2, Roy Jones SR. developed Roy, Gainer, Arthur Williams AND "Cool" Vince Phillips and is as great as anybody in terms of skills and knowledge... he just never talked about it like Mayweather does. I am laughing when I see SO MANY people claim Mayweather Sr. is so great because of nothing other than he tells them he is. He is almost unintelligible as it is and in the promotion for a fight like this he would make a huge fool of himself and take away from Oscar. As a trainer... if he wants to take ALL the credit, literally, for Oscar being able to beat Jr. because of his input then he should take the blame for Oscar losing to Sturm and Hops. Also food for thought...Senior talks so highly of his defensive system, like it is the force or something, like it is a top secret boxing genius defense system that rules the world... well, I asked Marlon Starling (who beat Sr, twice) about it and he laughed and said "Well, I can tell you that I didn't have any trouble hitting him if that's what your asking." He then showed me the very simple counter move that he used to open Mayweather up and hit him with straight right hands over and over. I am sure Oscar will figure it out all on his own

vCash

Re: Mayweather Sr.?????

Humility doesn't seem to be one of Sr's strong points, does it? His resume sure does not seem to back his claims. In liew of his recent demands for $2,000,000. to train Oscar for Jr, my question to you guys is, do you think Sr is gonna price himself out of the gig?

Gary

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Mayweather Sr. wants raise to train De La Hoya vs. 'my son'
    By Chuck Johnson, USA TODAY

Floyd Mayweather Sr. wants $2 million — "nothing more, nothing less" — to train Oscar De La Hoya for his big bout May 5 against Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    The question is whether the Golden Boy is prepared to pay Pretty Boy's dad so handsomely.

"If Oscar doesn't use me, it won't be because I'm not a great trainer," the elder Mayweather said. "What I'm asking for is nowhere near what he's going to make. There's too much money for me to take chits and bits."

A De La Hoya representative denied that efforts are underway to find a replacement for Mayweather Sr., who has trained boxing's biggest box office star since 2001.

"There have been no discussions with any other trainer regarding training Oscar for the Mayweather fight," said Debbie Caplan, a publicist for Golden Boy Promotions. "Oscar has a real strong relationship with Floyd Sr., but he has a very mixed bag of emotions about this fight. As soon as (Oscar) knows for sure in his heart, he'll make an announcement."

De La Hoya's 154-pound showdown against Mayweather Jr., the sport's No. 1 pound-for-pound champion, is expected to gener-ate record revenue. The live gate at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas could eclipse the Nevada-record $16.8 million generated by the Lennox Lewis-Evander Holyfield rematch in 1999. The HBO pay-per-view event could also surpass the 1997 Mike Tyson-Evander Holyfield fight, which produced a record 1.9 million buys and paid each fighter more than $30 million.

It's common for trainers to make up to 10% of their fighters' purses, but De La Hoya's earnings are much higher than the norm. "I told him my figure, and he said he'd get back with me," said Mayweather Sr., who last met with De La Hoya in late November. "I haven't heard from him yet, but soon it's going to be time to step up or step off."

Mayweather Jr. (37-0, 24 knockouts) has feuded with his dad since he fired him as his trainer and hired his uncle, Roger Mayweather, eight years ago. Since then, Mayweather Sr.'s highest-profile client has been De La Hoya (38-4, 30 KOs), who's 6-2 with four KOs under his watch, including a smashing sixth-round TKO against Ricardo Mayorga last May after a 20-month layoff.

"He was sensational in his last fight," Mayweather Sr. said. "He didn't start looking sensational until he got with me. I know my job too well, and I'm not stupid, either. I have the blueprint for this fight. What other coach is he going to find to beat little Floyd? But it's his money and his call.

"It's not like I was uncomfortable with what he's been paying me. It's still six figures. But this is a little different because he's fighting my son. I've already told him, 'That's my son, and he's going to be my son forever.' "

Apparently, that's the main concern for De La Hoya as he contemplates having Floyd Sr. prepare him to fight Floyd Jr.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Mayweather makes New offer for Oscar De La Hoya
    By Doghouse Boxing

Floyd Mayweather, Sr. wants nothing short of the 2 million he is asking to train Oscar De La Hoya to defeat his son, Floyd Mayweather Jr on May 5th. The highly anticipated match-up is being predicted to rank in millions. Mayweather Sr. is more than willing to give De La Hoya the secrets to defeat his son, but wants to be paid properly and not end up on the short end of the stick. Although Mayweather Sr. wants 2 million for his services, he is willing to compromise. He'd like 1 million dollars up front, and another 1 million afterwards, as a bonus should De La Hoya win.

In a recent interview with EuroSport.com, Mayweather Sr. tells writer Ant Evans that De La Hoya did offered him $500,000 to train him. And for an extra incentive, if De La Hoya were to defeat Mayweather Jr., then Mayweather Sr. would receive another $500,000 on top.

Speaking to Ant Evans, Mayweather Sr spoke on the offer and made a counter offer, saying: "I'm not interested in no $500,000 offer and I'm not into no $500,000 with (a bonus) $500,000 for when Oscar gets the victory. I said $2 million and I meant $2 million. If they offer me $1 million for the camp and then another $1million when we get this thing accomplished then that'll be another matter. That would be different."

Mayweather Sr. also spoke on how important it will be for De La Hoya to have him as the trainer for the epic battle. Stating that a win for De La Hoya will only come through him. Evans quotes Mayweather Sr., saying: "Oscar can win, will win, but only with me with him." Mayweather Sr., added: "But the size thing don't mean sh*t. Floyd can beat a lot of bigger guys easy but I know exactly what Oscar has to do to beat Little Floyd. It sounds a (simple) plan but only I can teach Oscar how to do it. Without me Oscar don't have no plan to really win this thing."

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Re: De La Hoya-Mayweather Pre-Fight Press & Predictions

Do any of you guys remember "Crocodile", Leg-Iron Mike's shill in the mid-to-late '90's. He was the guy who would be ranting & raving in front of Tyson's entourage during ring walks & all personal appearances. He'd be frothing at the mouth like a rabid wolverine screaming, " Superman's In The House!" & other assorted drivel...

Well, that's who Floyd Sr. reminds me of. Except he's not extolling anybody's elses virtues & talents - he's only interested in making a lot of noise about himself.

Ice is right. This guy is a freakin' joke. & from what I've observed over the years he's hardly the greatest trainer in his own gym - much less the boxing universe.

The fact that his own son won't work with him is telling. & what Oscar see's in Sr. I'll never understand.

GorDoom

vCash

I just read this bit in Robert Morales' column at the CBZ Newswire page:

Oscar De La Hoya this week is playing in the celebrity portion of the Bob Hope Classic near Palm Springs. His playing partners are Samuel L. Jackson and George Lopez. It should be fun for De La Hoya, an avid golfer. But afterward, De La Hoya will get serious when he sits down with Richard Schaefer to mull over the situation regarding his trainer, Floyd Mayweather Sr.

De La Hoya will be squaring off with Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 5 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Much has been made about how surreal it would be to see Floyd Sr. training someone to beat his son.

Floyd Sr. told USA Today this week that he is demanding De La Hoya pay him $2 million to train him for that fight.

Schaefer, CEO of De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, said De La Hoya will never pay Floyd Sr. that kind of money. That aside, there is more to consider.

This fight is expected to break live gate as well as pay-per-view records. The scrutiny will be heavy. In an event of this magnitude, a perfect camp is vital.

"It is important for Oscar to know that whoever the trainer is going to be is 100 percent behind him," Schaefer said. "And if you are training somebody to go and beat your own son, no matter how you look at it, blood is always thicker than water. And are there at times potentially things going through Floyd's mind, `Why am I doing that?' And potentially going through Oscar's mind as well, `Why am I using Mayweather? Why am I putting him in that position? Why am I putting myself in that position?' "

Even if De La Hoya decides he wants Floyd Sr. to train him against Floyd Jr., it won't happen if Floyd Sr. doesn't come down on his asking price.
    Talk about opportunistic!

vCash

Call me crazy for applying logic to a sport that perpetually defies it, but why would you hire someone's father to help you beat up his own son?

Isn't it obvious that there is a pretty HUMONGOUS conflict of interest here?

vCash

Just read an article stating that Sr. might be out as trainer and Jack Mosley is in place as a back up if Oscar and Sr can't agree to terms...
    Gary

vCash

I don't know how this fight is worthy of the money it's supposed to be generating. Oscar is a has-been the past 5 years. Mayweather will walk this fight. Total mismatch and it's a sad state of affairs in boxing that so much hype will surround this. When I talk of superfights, I think of Hagler V Hearns, Leonard V Duran etc etc. This is garbage

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Mayweather to De La Hoya: "No trainer can guarantee a victory"
    By David A. Avila from Sweet Science

After six years of honing East L.A.’s Oscar De La Hoya into a speedier and more defensive-minded prizefighter, it looks like Floyd Mayweather Sr. will not be in the Golden Boy’s corner when he fights Floyd Mayweather Jr.

“Money is the root of all evil,” said Mayweather Sr. “There was no problem training Oscar to fight my son until I asked for more money.”

De La Hoya is poised to announce who will train him for his mega showdown with Mayweather Jr. on May 5 at the MGM Grand. It is expected to come this week while he is back in his hometown of Los Angeles. It appears that the senior Mayweather will not be training De La Hoya for the upcoming fight.

For that fight, De La Hoya will make more than $25 million and Mayweather Jr. upwards of $12 million. It all depends on the pay-per-view buys.

Though Mayweather Sr. began training De La Hoya following the first defeat by Shane Mosley back in June 2000, the East Los Angeles prizefighter, who is undoubtedly the most successful in history, seems intent on going to battle without him.

Mayweather says it’s about money. The 53-year-old trainer said he was offered $500,000 up front and another $500,000 if De La Hoya wins.

He won’t accept it.

“I’m not Houdini,” Mayweather said. “I’m not the one who is going to be in the ring. I can’t fight for him.”

The offer from Golden Boy Promotions according to Mayweather, disturbs the trainer who also guides Laila Ali, Chad Dawson, Panchito Bojado and many others.

“No trainer can guarantee a victory,” he said.

While preparing Dawson for his upcoming challenge against Paul Briggs of Australia, Mayweather walked over to explain his reasons for not accepting a half now and half later deal from Golden Boy Promotions.

“I put my work in. Why take my money?” Mayweather said about the deal that would give him another $500,000 only if De La Hoya wins. “If he (De La Hoya) wins or loses he’s going to keep his money. But why keep my money if he loses?”

Mayweather fought professionally from 1974 to 1990 against some of the best welterweights during that time, including a fight against Sugar Ray Leonard who was two years removed from winning the gold medal at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal. Though he lost by technical knockout in the 10th round, Mayweather proved to be a worthy adversary for the future superstar. He began training professional boxers when he retired as an active fighter.

Mayweather’s younger brother Roger dominated the junior lightweight division for a spell and later moved into the junior welterweight division. He now trains Mayweather Jr. but is currently incarcerated for assault charges.

Mayweather Jr. became the second generation of Mayweather professional boxers. And with knowledge passed on by his father and uncles, he quickly became an amateur boxing star. Though he lost in the 1992 Olympics in Atlanta, many felt he won.

“That was all politics,” said Mayweather Jr. who did not earn a medal during the summer games that year. “I didn’t lose. They didn’t want me to win.”

Once he entered the professional ranks, Mayweather Jr.’s talent quickly gained him recognition as he rose up the junior lightweight rankings. An eventual showdown with WBC junior lightweight titleholder Genaro “Chicanito” Hernandez in 1998 proved to be a one-sided affair in Mayweather’s favor.

“He was just too fast for my brother,” said Rudy Hernandez, who trained his brother for that fight that proved to be the last for Chicanito. “Floyd’s quickness is too much.”

Few felt Mayweather Jr. would ever rise above the lightweight division, especially after fighting in 2002 against Mexico’s Jose Luis Castillo, a fight that most fans felt the Mexican boxer won though the judges scored it in wide margins for Mayweather.

“I took him lightly,” Mayweather confessed last October about his first encounter with Castillo. “But I showed what I could do when I fought him again.”

Mayweather dominated Castillo with his speed in the second fight eight months later.

“He was too quick,” Castillo said. “I lost.”

Mayweather Jr. moved up to junior welterweight in 2004 and simultaneously issued a challenge to De La Hoya or Winky Wright.

Many scoffed at the challenge as a publicity stunt. But since beating several junior welterweights then moving on to the welterweight division and humbling both Zab Judah and Carlos Baldomir, the laughter has turned to admiration.

Even Mayweather Sr. acknowledges it will be a daunting task for De La Hoya to beat junior.

“He’s not fighting a paper champion, he’s fighting a Mayweather,” said Mayweather Sr. of De La Hoya. “You can’t get enough arsenal. You need the package.”

Mayweather Sr. believes only he can prepare De La Hoya against his son’s assortment of punches and defensive schemes.

“I’m not saying Oscar can’t beat little Floyd without me,” he says. “But with me he can learn everything he needs to know.”

The Las Vegas trainer believes De La Hoya’s naturally bigger body, punching power and experience make him a cut above any other fighter his son has ever faced.

“Oscar has got speed, he’s a bigger guy and he can punch. But he’s got to land,” Mayweather said. “It’s how bad he (De La Hoya) wants to win. There’s not a trainer I can recommend.”

Jack Mosley, father and trainer of Shane Mosley, has entered the list of recommended trainers for De La Hoya. Others mentioned are Freddie Roach, Emanuel Steward, and Nacho Beristain who trains Rafael and Juan Manuel Marquez. The latter will be in town with De La Hoya to announce a press conference for an upcoming match between Marquez and Marco Antonio Barrera.

Could that also be the day they announce Beristain, who also trained the great Ricardo “Finito” Lopez, as De La Hoya’s next trainer? Or could it be Mosley?

Mayweather Sr. says there is no bitterness toward De La Hoya should the current WBC junior middleweight titleholder choose to go another route.

“I appreciate what he did for me and I hope he appreciates what I did for him. There are no bad feelings. It’s business,” Mayweather said. “It’s in God’s hands.”

vCash

mayweather sr. may be turning into a bigger distraction in this fight than a plus for oscar.

in mayweathers case i wonder where his next 500k payday is coming from. there are top fighters who would drool over that kind of dough. i think sr. is being too arrogant for his own good.

oscars best chance in winning here is that 154 is too much for the smaller PBF and that the extra weight slows him down enough for DLH to land a big shot. if that is the case it will not be learned until fight nite and i don't see much of anything sr. could do to help that in training a guy with oscars already vast ring experience.

get freddie in your corner and fight your ass off. the schooling days ended a long time ago. thats oscars shot.
    greg

vCash

At this point, Sr is playing the fool. I believe Oscar is gonna give him the boot. He will cut his nose to spite his face and someone else is gonna get the payday. Nothing would tickle me more than Oscar landing the hook so the retoric from both Mayweathers will subside.

Gary

vCash

Mayweather, Sr. is a loose cannon on deck. There's too much emotion here for him to be involved. He'd be a distraction.

Personally, I think De La Hoya should go with Manny Steward. I thought that during the short time they were together that Oscar looked good. Steward understood Oscar's style and limitations very well. He made Oscar use his God-given punching power. Oscar also had a lot of confidence in Manny and you could see that in his performance.

Manny Steward knows how to beat the style of Floyd Mayweather, Jr. too.

Just my two cents.

vCash

yeah manny would be fine too. nothing would be worse at this stage of the DLH career than to get caught is some sort of mayhem/family squabble and have this, his swan song, turn into another mayweather side show.
    greg

Administrator
    vCash

I hope Roach steps up & offers it for free just to spite all their asses.

I can't wait to hear that Mayweather gets the snub.

vCash

Mayweather's dad out as De La Hoya's Trainer

Lance Pugmire;Eric Stephens, From Times Staff and Wire Reports
    January 25, 2007

Oscar De La Hoya has decided not to use trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr. in his corner May 5, when De La Hoya meets unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr.

A spokeswoman for De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions said Wednesday that the trainer's request for $2 million has been deemed too excessive by the boxer, despite the bout's position as possibly the richest non-heavyweight fight in history.

The fight will be an HBO pay-per-view card at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Mayweather Sr. is feuding with his son. Yet, De La Hoya's camp has expressed discomfort with having the father of his opponent train De La Hoya.

De La Hoya is considering a new trainer, the Golden Boy spokeswoman said.

— Lance Pugmire

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

IT'S A FAMILY AFFAIR
    By Phil Barnett, PA Sport

While blood is supposedly thicker than water, money talks loudest for Floyd Mayweather Sr as he waits to hear if he will be pitted against his own son by training Oscar De La Hoya for the blockbuster showdown in Las Vegas.

Ever since the biggest fight of 2007 was scheduled for May 5, the prospect of the estranged father and son standing in opposite corners has dominated talk of the tantalising match-up.

Mayweather Sr has been in De La Hoya's corner since 2001, overseeing his rise to the middleweight division and back, culminating in an excellent win over foul-mouthed Nicaraguan brawler Ricardo Mayorga to claim the WBC light-middleweight title last year.

Adding further spice to the prospect of the family feud reaching the ring, Mayweather Jr's trainer - uncle Roger, brother of Floyd Sr (also estranged) is expected to be in the corner following a ban and a prison term for assault.

The idea of three members of the Mayweather clan being involved in the same fight on divided sides does not sit easily with many commentators and the feeling is that despite the bravado, it does not sit well with those involved either.

Rather than do the 'honourable thing' and walk away from the record-breaking pay-per-view fight, however, Mayweather Sr has chosen to price himself out by demanding US dollars two million from De La Hoya to guide him through the lucrative contest rather than the usual 10%.

The trainer previously insisted he had no problem helping De La Hoya attempt to beat up his son but made sure the onus was on the fighter to come to him.

De La Hoya is expected to announce this week he will team up with another trainer. Richard Schaefer, chief executive of De La Hoya's promotional vehicle Golden Boy Promotions, told USA Today: "We felt US dollars two million was excessive, and maybe it was Floyd Sr's way of saying he really didn't want to do it.

"Oscar had his own doubts about whether Floyd Sr should be doing it because at the end of the day, as even Floyd Sr has said, Floyd Jr will always be his son.

"Oscar has always been very fair in what he pays to a trainer. But two million is way beyond what any trainer is ever paid."

It is a tough decision for De La Hoya. The argument for keeping Mayweather Sr centres around the fact that, aside from the obvious benefit of having his usual trainer, he would benefit from the knowledge and expertise the cornerman has of his own son.

As for the argument against using Mayweather Sr - the furore surrounding father and son going head to head would obscure De La Hoya's psychological preparation, plus the US dollars two million is a big price to pay for his trainer's expertise.

While using Mayweather Sr would complicate preparations, switching trainer three months before the fight would also be far from ideal.

It is a difficult decision and only De La Hoya can make it, with the stubborn Mayweathers insisting they are happy to go ahead with the fight on principle. But it would be easier for everyone if the Golden Boy spared them the awkwardness by opting to employ Freddie Roach or another top trainer to tune him up for the biggest fight of his career.

vCash

January 26, 2007
    From the LATIMES

"The Contender," which combines reality television with boxing, became a hit on ESPN last year after a one-year run on NBC. Now HBO is going to try something similar to help promote the May 5 pay-per-view fight between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

The pay-cable network will produce four half-hour all-access shows featuring the two fighters. The series will be titled "De La Hoya/Mayweather 24/7.
    The first three shows of the series will air on successive Sundays beginning April 15 at 10:30 p.m. following original episodes of "The Sopranos" and "Entourage." The final "De La Hoya/Mayweather 24/7" show will air the Thursday before the fight at 9:30 p.m.

"Those time slots tell you just how important it is," HBO Sports President Ross Greenburg said Thursday from his office in New York.

He also said there are some differences between the HBO series and "The Contender." One difference is no direct prize money to the fighters, although the HBO series should enhance the pay-per-view take.

Another difference, he said, "is that this is not manufactured reality. This is documentary-style reality. We'll be capturing all the story lines as they unfold."

Greenburg said this series compares more to "Hard Knocks," a show HBO did in 2001 and 2002 with NFL Films that took viewers inside the training camps of first the Baltimore Ravens and then the Dallas Cowboys.

As for using a reality series to promote a fight, Greenburg said, "We've had this idea for a year but have been waiting for the right fight and the right charismatic personalities to do it."

vCash

De La Hoya Narrows
    His Training Candidates.
    From the LATIMES.

Oscar De La Hoya has narrowed his list of potential replacement trainers to two, and he's expected to decide who will prepare him for his May 5 showdown against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. within a week.

"Every single trainer has been calling me: [Teddy] Atlas, [Freddie] Roach … ," De La Hoya said Thursday. "I have to see what style best suits me."

Floyd Mayweather Sr. was dropped as De La Hoya's trainer Wednesday. Golden Boy Promotions Chief Executive Richard Schaefer said that decision was "not just an issue of money, but Oscar believing at the end of the day that a father should not train someone to beat his son."

Jack Mosley, the father and trainer of former lightweight and welterweight champion Shane Mosley, said he had offered to train De La Hoya but has yet to hear a response.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Split may cost De La Hoya more than money
    By David Mayo
    The Grand Rapids Press

One rarely can be positive about everything that happens in failed negotiation talks between two individuals, although when it comes to the recent talks between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Sr., I can recite them verbatim.

If that's all there were to this column, it would end here.

There were no words from De La Hoya, just as there are none from him today about anything to do with his May 5 fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr., because he declined an interview request about the topic.

Not personally, of course. Through his public relations staff.

De La Hoya's eight-fight, six-year relationship with Mayweather Sr. ended without so much as a howdy-bye phone call, although he did extend an offer to his erstwhile trainer through the chief executive of his promotional company, Richard Schaefer.

Whether De La Hoya was surprised by Mayweather Sr.'s refusal to accept a $500,000 guarantee to train him, plus an identical bonus for a victory, is impossible to say until he speaks about the matter.

But De La Hoya, without so much as dialing up and soothing his trainer with first-person negotiating banter, frittered away a historic advantage: In this most intimately individual sport, he had his opponent's father, former coach, and original architect of a family boxing dynasty, in his corner.

Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy and Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith are friends and former colleagues, but if one of them had a former head coach from the other team on his staff right now, wouldn't that person become invaluable on the cusp of the ultimate game?

For boxing's Super Bowl, Mayweather Sr. requested $2 million, but was offered half that much for beating his son, or one-fourth for losing to his son. Against that backdrop, and in the context of potentially the richest fight ever, which mandates rethinking any previous financial strata for fighters and trainers alike, both may been off-target.

So they said goodbye with numbers, not words.

That remains undone, seemingly for no other reason than that financial gap.

Still, just in case De La Hoya is clinging to some idea that he spared the Mayweathers from family turmoil, as his representative suggested, he should know some of these family rifts were in place long before his first late-night wistful dream about Olympic gold.

It takes minutes to grasp the Mayweather squabbles -- and years to unweave their intricacies. They are an emotional, talented, artistic, passionate, and sometimes combustible family.

But their feelings about boxing, after nearly four decades in it, are plain.

Bernice Mayweather acknowledges her distaste for the divide between Floyd Sr. and Floyd Jr., her son and grandson.

"I wish they could really be father and son," she said. "But it's not up to me. I've done talked and talked. One day, I'm going to get them all in my back yard and have a big dinner. Just get everybody in the back yard and have a good time."

As for the prospect of the two Floyds working against each other, here's what the grandmother of 17, and great-grandmother of 21, said:

"I wouldn't feel bad about it. Little Floyd is my grandson, and I would've been on his side. But I would still be a fan of De La Hoya. That's just how I feel. I never really said much about it because there wasn't much to say. We all thought if De La Hoya wants Floyd to train him, it's good."

Jeff Mayweather wrote a poignant plea to his brother and nephew to set aside their differences in a November must-read at www.braggingrightscorner.com, including a pointed question whether they would patch things before one dies, and the survivor must decide whether to attend the funeral.

"We need to stop using the famous shoulder roll when it comes to dealing with the issues that confront and hurt us," he wrote.

So what did Jeff think about his brother training De La Hoya?

"He should do it," he said last year. "Why let that money get out of the family?"

If those are the hurt feelings De La Hoya hoped to save the Mayweathers from, there's the real answer.

Instead, Golden Boy left us with completely separate questions, like why any offer was extended if he hoped to salve the family divide, whether the offer was an intentional lowball for that reason, and why he didn't already have a replacement to come on board.

Perhaps he could answer some of those before the ultimate answer in 99 days.

vCash

"DLH stops Mayweather in 8"

That is the headline i expect to read on May 6th 2007. That being said, I have read all the post on here, and to a man, I agree with the fact that Mayweather is much the better pound per pound fighter. Much better at this stage. If you go back through out DLH career Sweet Pea ( I had DlH losing that one), Mosley. Both were quick fighters and posed serious problems to DLH. Two different scenarious however.

1. DLH just moved up to 140 and fought Sweet Pea. He did not have a size advantage. DLH now plants and lands much heavier punches (not to mention he is now accustomed to 154, and carries a nice punch at that weight class now, along with a much better right hand).

2. Mosley at 147 is faster than Mayweather will be at 154, and hits much harder than Mayweather dreams of hitting at any weight above 140.

Sweat pea's defense did frusterate a much quicker and younger DLH, but..and this is a major but. Dlh came in that fight to box and land his left hook. If he plans to box with Mayweather he will lose almost every round. He will need to be very very aggressive not dumb but aggressive, and zap mayweathers body early and throw many many many right hands to both the body and head..with left hooks mixed in to the body early. This will open up the left hook upstairs later.

If DLH makes this a fight, and is conditioned to take it to Mayweather the entire fight, then I think DLH can beat mayweather. DLH does not need to fear Mayweather's punching power one bit. He needs to cut of the ring, and establish his strength and size advantage immediately and often in there and make mayweather fight going backwards not lateral.

What a fight, I can not wait til this happens. All DLH needs to do is look at 3 fights.

1. Leonard hagler. Dlh already accomplished one the things that leonard did and that was win the negotiations. By making this fight at 154 and getting punchers gloves, he increased his chances at winning big time. I do not think DLH campaigned for 154 to box Mayweather, and by imposing the timeline on Mayweather to sign or else, he clearly communicated that he calls the shots, and that this will be his night, at least in the set up of the fight,,,Seems familiar to 1987 Hmmmm. Also, by Hagler letting the smaller faster Leonard box for the 1st 4 rounds regardless of who you all think won, he let leonard, the fans, and the judges get momentum swinging leoanard way into thinking and getting the perception that it was leonard night.You hear a lot of noise now about that decision, but that night in Vegas it was clear who the crowd thought won in the 12th round, and it carried over to the judges including one judge crackheadishly having ray up 118-110. Crowd influence? Hmmmm. dont know. Dlh needs to immediately come out and set the tone, win the crowd and the judges..Do not let Mayweather get comfortable or confident.

2. Hopkins fight...Simply look at the how that fight ended body punch. No I am not saying he will stop Mayweather with a body punch, but attacking the body (which will be there for him to hit) is the best way to may this fight physical, take away Mayweather legs, if he can, and score points early on. This will also open up Mayweather for the Left hook, which I think will stop Mayweather if it lands flush, after..and I repeat after a sustained physical fight.

3. His fight with trinidad. He left that ring upset that he didnt give more. This will be his last Hurrah..He needs to train like it. Get in the mindset like that, and then let it all hang out in that ring. If he does, and he motivates the mexican crowd (who will be in a huge uproar already being cinco de mayo) to be there and lowd n attendance...Wow.

Honestly it just hit me,,Cinco De Mayo - DlH,,,why would mayweather fight DLH on cinco de mayo. He just forfieted a close decision right there, even more so now...if you weight in..Dlh is the people's choice. I dont care mayweather lives in Vegas, it is DLH town, his last fight, Cinco de Mayo..

Lets get ready to rumble....
    Last edited by wpink; 01-27-2007 at 06:22 PM.

Administrator
    vCash

De La Hoya picks Freddie Roach to train him for Mayweather fight

De La Hoya picks Freddie Roach to train him for Mayweather fight
    By Lance Pugmire, Times Staff Writer. January 30, 2007

Oscar De La Hoya has selected Freddie Roach to train him for his May 5 super-welterweight title fight against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr., the boxer announced Tuesday.

Roach, 46, a former journeyman boxer who suffered notable losses to Hector Camacho and former lightweight champion Greg Haugen, is best known for training former super-bantamweight and flyweight champion Manny Pacquiao. [Read more]

vCash

Hey,

Check out Rita Figueroa's writeup of De La Hoya's announcement of Roach as his new trainer:

Rita Figueroa's Writeup of DLH Teleconference

vCash

And, now fresh from Oscar's PR Machine...

Just got this in my email...

OSCAR DE LA HOYA TO TEAM UP WITH RENOWNED TRAINER FREDDIE ROACH
    FOR MAY 5TH SUPER FIGHT AGAINST FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR.

LOS ANGELES, January 30 – After much deliberation, WBC super welterweight champion Oscar De La Hoya has decided that the man to lead him into battle against Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 5th at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas is the 2003 Boxing Writers Association of America’s Trainer of the Year and the leading candidate for the honor again this year, Freddie Roach.

“Freddie and I have known each other for many years, and I am very happy that at this point in my career he has accepted my offer to be my trainer,” said De La Hoya. “I felt very humbled by the fact that many great trainers reached out and offered their services, but after sitting down with Freddie, I quickly realized that this is the man I want to have in my corner come May 5th. Freddie’s accomplishments speak for themselves, and I look forward to working with him and getting in the best shape of my career to conquer yet another challenge.”

“I’m happy to be working with Oscar for this fight, which for a trainer is not only a dream opportunity, but a great challenge and responsibility,” said Roach. “I’m going to do everything in my power, and I know Oscar will as well, to ensure victory on May 5th.”

Pre-camp workouts have already begun for De La Hoya, with his training camp to officially kick off in Puerto Rico on March 1st.

Roach, the BWAA’s Trainer of The Year in 2003, is a former pro fighter who shared the ring with former world champions Bobby Chacon, Hector Camacho, and Greg Haugen over the course of an eight year pro career. After retiring in 1986, Roach carried on the teachings of the legendary Eddie Futch, and began molding champions as a trainer. Since then, he has trained 18 world champions, including Manny Pacquiao, James Toney, Mike Tyson, Virgil Hill, Israel Vazquez, and Wayne McCullough, and is respected throughout the boxing community as one of the last true teachers in the sport.

De La Hoya (38-4, 30 KOs) is coming off a stirring sixth round TKO of Ricardo Mayorga last May to win the WBC super welterweight crown. In the most highly-anticipated bout of this era, De La Hoya will defend his title against Mayweather in what is expected to be one of the biggest boxing events of all-time.

vCash

I think Roach will be good for Oscar.

Freddie is an aggressive type trainer that gets his guys into good shape and likes to see them punch a lot. Riach is not a defense oriented trainer. Just look at guys he trains like Manny Pacquiao and Israel Vazquez.

I like the pairing. Roach is so smart and he gives great advice in the corner. I never thought much of Floyd Mayweather, Sr.'s work with Oscar. His advice in the corner was never clear or concise as to exactly what it was he wanted Oscar to do. It was a lot of "C'mon, man! Get out there! Do something!"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY
    Floyd Senior is a clown. He's a great trainer? Other than him constantly SAYING IT what makes him so great? Think about that. It CAN'T BE his work with Oscar because I think Oscar looked better BEFORE he got with Senior. Remember the Sturm fight? And don't even tell me it was his work with Floyd JR. because number one Floyd Sr. wasn't even around for most of his later and amateur and pro career and, 2, Roy Jones SR. developed Roy, Gainer, Arthur Williams AND "Cool" Vince Phillips and is as great as anybody in terms of skills and knowledge... he just never talked about it like Mayweather does. I am laughing when I see SO MANY people claim Mayweather Sr. is so great because of nothing other than he tells them he is. He is almost unintelligible as it is and in the promotion for a fight like this he would make a huge fool of himself and take away from Oscar. As a trainer... if he wants to take ALL the credit, literally, for Oscar being able to beat Jr. because of his input then he should take the blame for Oscar losing to Sturm and Hops. Also food for thought...Senior talks so highly of his defensive system, like it is the force or something, like it is a top secret boxing genius defense system that rules the world... well, I asked Marlon Starling (who beat Sr, twice) about it and he laughed and said "Well, I can tell you that I didn't have any trouble hitting him if that's what your asking." He then showed me the very simple counter move that he used to open Mayweather up and hit him with straight right hands over and over. I am sure Oscar will figure it out all on his own
    The advantage Mayweather Sr. brings is obviously that he knows his son perhaps better than his son knows himself. He has certain insights another trainer can't bring. Predictably, Mayweather Sr. did what a lot of Mayweathers do. Many Mayweathers do many strange things.

Jeff Mayweather is probably the only Mayweather who can be considered a genetic defect, and that is meant in a positive way.

Roberto Aqui

Quote Originally Posted by wpink
    Honestly it just hit me,,Cinco De Mayo - DlH,,,why would mayweather fight DLH on cinco de mayo. He just forfieted a close decision right there, even more so now...if you weight in..Dlh is the people's choice. I dont care mayweather lives in Vegas, it is DLH town, his last fight, Cinco de Mayo..

Lets get ready to rumble....
    Wow, the pinketh one has left his comfort zone of Sugar Ray and scored a compelling analysis. Congrats to Mr. Pink for stepping out so forthrightly in his first foray away from home.

I say Oscar by easy decision where he knocks down Floyd and sends him scurrying. If Oscar loses it will be because of injury. He has hand and shoulder problems that the quick Mayweather may exacerbate.

Administrator
    vCash

PBF Sr has already proven to be distraction. Oscar made the right choice.

PBF Sr has always been too full of himself anyway. Roach is a great fit for this fight. Oscar didn't need PBF Sr making a spectacle of himself & then try to steal all the credit should Oscar win.

I hope Oscar knocks PBF Jrs head off.

vCash

Aqui...I always venture outside of Ray when the time is right. He is my favorite, and I will not hide that, but on this sight they have a lot of people that seen to want to tell others what thier opinion should be, or how they should respond to other post's....Baffles me, that some act like b*&^tches... It is only a chat board with everyone freedom to post what they think and/or like....Wow.

Your not one of them we have just disagreed about other fighters..no problem. As far as this fight, I think Mayweather has more of a chance than you give him. DLH can only beat Mayweather one way, and that is get physical with him, and sap the body, then the head will follow.

Boxing mayweather for dlh who had problemes with Whitacker, Mosley,,,etc..fighters who were quick, poses the one challenge I have in my mind. However, if DLH makes it a fight, not a boxing match,,,hmmm

+ Reply to Thread