Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 69 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 2060

Thread: History of California Boxing in Photos

vCash

Re: History of California Boxing in Photos

Almost five decades later, boxer Davey Moore's death still resonates

The featherweight champion's death after a 1963 bout at Dodger Stadium prompted Bob Dylan to take boxing to task in his song 'Who Killed Davey Moore?' This month, Sports Illustrated rated it the best sports song of all time.
    Davey Moore

Davey Moore, left, trades punches with Sugar Ramos during the first round of a featherweight title bout at Dodger Stadium in 1963. Moore fell into a coma after the fight and died three days later. (Associated Press / March 21, 1963)

By Jerry Crowe

July 17, 2011

Davey Moore may be gone, but he's not forgotten.

Longtime boxing fans remember him as a featherweight champion who fell into a coma shortly after losing his title in a bout at Dodger Stadium in March 1963, and died three days later.

Pop music fans remember him as the ghostly presence in Bob Dylan's anti-boxing harangue, "Who Killed Davey Moore?"

And Moore's 75-year-old widow, Geraldine, remembers him as a hardworking provider and loving husband and father.

"We got along famously," she says.

She's tickled that her late husband's name reentered the public consciousness this month when Sports Illustrated ranked Dylan's accusatory ballad, in which several characters deny their culpability in Moore's death, as the No. 1 sports song of all time.

She calls it "not such a bad song" but also admits, "I really didn't listen to it that much. I kind of avoid stuff like that."

She's grateful, however, for anything that keeps her late husband's memory alive, such as a statue in his hometown of Springfield, Ohio, that sits in storage while backers work to raise the last $30,000 needed to have it bronzed.

Moore would be the first athlete and first African American so honored in Springfield, notes Tom Archdeacon, a Dayton Daily News sports columnist leading a push to secure the funding.

"But it's hard times in the Rust Belt," Archdeacon says.

Moore was well known in Springfield — and far beyond — even before Dylan wrote about his final bout, of course.

His match against Cuban émigré Sugar Ramos was part of the only fight card ever staged at Dodger Stadium, a "Carnival of Champions" tripleheader of world-championship bouts that drew a crowd of more than 25,000.

"It was a hell of a fight," says John Hall, a former Times boxing writer and sports columnist. "Both guys punched each other around and, up to the last minute, Davey kept coming back."

In the 10th round, however, the 29-year-old champion was knocked to the canvas for the second time, the back of his head snapping against the bottom rope.

The referee stopped the fight before the 11th round.

Afterward, a lucid Moore met with reporters for 40 minutes, telling them, "It just wasn't my night," and vowing revenge.

Then he fell unconscious.

"He was in control of himself right up until the time he passed out," Hall says. "It was really a shocking, awful thing, the way he went out. Nobody had any idea he was that badly hurt."

Doctors later said that swelling in his injured brain stem sent Moore into a coma. He never awakened.

In death, Moore left behind three daughters and two sons, impetus for boxing to install safer ropes and grist for a "searing indictment of the fight game," as Sports Illustrated described Dylan's song, introduced only weeks after the fight.

"Who killed Davey Moore?" Dylan sings. "Why and what's the reason for?" A series of characters — the referee, the boxing fan, the manager, the gambler, the sportswriter, the opponent — all sing, "No, you can't blame me at all."

The All Music Guide called it "one of Bob Dylan's absolute worst songs," reviewer Stewart Mason noting, "Boxing is corrupt and violent? Who knew?" And Dylan didn't include it on an official release until nearly 30 years later.

In Ohio, Moore's widow paid the song little mind.

Six weeks after her husband's death, she took a government job arranged for her by then-Ohio Gov. Jim Rhodes.

"Naturally, you're sad and you miss your husband, and the children miss their dad," she says, "but you just have to move on. You can't just die because he died. . . .

"My mother and dad stepped right in and helped me with the children and I took that job and didn't look back."

Thirty-two years later, her children all grown, she retired. Briefly remarried in the early 1970s, she is matriarch of a family that includes nine grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren.

"And sometime this fall," she says from her apartment in Springfield, "I'll have my first great-great-grandchild."

Who killed Davey Moore?

She doesn't point fingers.

"I can't blame boxing for my husband's death," she says. "Boxing made us a good living when he was alive, and he loved it."

Maybe Dylan does too.

He told Rolling Stone that boxing was his favorite form of exercise and, according to Los Angeles magazine, the rock bard owns a secret fight club beneath a Santa Monica coffee shop where he once was knocked down by actress Gina Gershon.

One of his earliest songs, "I Shall Be Free No. 10," includes the lines, "I was shadow boxin' early in the day/I figured I was ready for Cassius Clay." And another, "Hurricane," is a powerful protest song that tells the tale of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, a falsely imprisoned former middleweight contender.

Archdeacon, the Dayton newspaperman, laid all this out in a column when Dylan's tour stopped in Dayton two summers ago, hoping to appeal to the singer's sensibilities.

He envisioned Dylan opening his wallet for Moore's statue.

"I was hoping he'd see it and say, 'Here's $30,000,'" Archdeacon notes. "But that didn't happen."

jerome.crowe@latimes.com

vCash

Renato Garcia

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

Ike Williams

vCash

Manuel Ortiz vs Harold Dade....1947

vCash

Cisco Andrade vs Art "Golden Boy" Aragon

vCash

Henry Armstrong

vCash

Original main Street Gym, Los Angeles, Ca.

Original main Street Gym burned down circa 1951

vCash

Tiger Flowers (L) vs Eddie Huffman

vCash

Enrique Bolanos (L) vs John Thomas...1947

vCash

Ceferino Garcia and trainer Johnny Villaflor...Circa 1938

vCash

Muhammad Ali and Sylvester Stallone

vCash

Muhammad Ali and Ken Norton

vCash

CBHOF inductee...2011

Ramon Tiscaeeno

vCash

ALL ABOARD FOR CHICAGO-- The Los Angeles Times 1948 Golden Gloves team entrained for Chicago Tribune tournament.
    Left to right, kneeling, Coaches Leo Pope and George Latka; standing, Hugh Davidson, Hank Herring, Joe Burzenes, Enoch Lee
    and Rudy Garcia; on steps, Clarence Henry, Jay Caldwell, and Ruben Smith.

vCash

Re: Cisco Andrade & kids

Art "Golden Boy" Aragon/Benny Black, Hollywood Stadium May 20 1949,

If Art Aragon could have caught up with Benny Black and made him hold still until Art could park one solid punch on Benny's chin-Aragon would still be "Atomic Art" of Hollywood Stadium. But Black is fast, cagey and apparently unaccommodating, so Aragon had to be content with the ten round decision, garnered at much embarrassment, due to considerable missing in the early rounds and complete exhaustion at the finish. Aragon cornered Black in the sixth and belabored him with both fists, but Benny's bicycle came to the rescue. Although tired, Art decked Black for a nine-count in the eighth, but was so weary at the end of the round that Benny was able to jab out an edge in the final two heats. Black, a despised 10-to-1 underdog, was cheered by the crowd for his "moral victory." Aragon weighed 139, Black 146.

vCash

Olympic Auditorium Official Programe Art Aragon/Phil Kim Oct 16 1952

ART ARAGON
    California's number one box office attraction faces one of the stiffest tests of his career when he tangles with Phil "Wildcat" Kim, Hawaii's welterweight champion. A terrific puncher in his own right, Art will be facing one of the hardest belters in the 147 pound class. Big money matches with Kid Gavilan and Chuck Davey are in the making for the Golden Boy-but he must first get by this tireless performer from Honolulu.

PHIL KIM
    Now ranked ninth among the worlds welterweights, Phil "Wildcat" Kim hopes a win over Art Aragon will lead to his goal-a shot at Kid Gavilan's title. The Pineapple Puncher has stopped six out of seven foes since invading the mainland. Kim carries dynamite in both hands and takes a good punch himself. Win, lose or draw, Phil Kim will give the fans their money's worth.

vCash

Art "Golden Boy" Aragon: "When I first came from New Mexico, they said 'You're Mexican, right?' And I said, 'No, I'm Spanish. We were Spanish. All our people come from Italy [and Spain] So [they thought] I was a goddam spic denying I was a Mexican." "So that made 'em mad to begin with." "Later I said 'Viva Mexico!' but it was too late."

vCash

Art "Golden Boy" Aragon: "Somebody asked me, 'What's the first thing you do in a fight?' I bleed!" Reminiscing about his fight with Carmen Basilio, "The bell rings for the first round. I ran to the centre of the ring. I threw a hard left hook, an uppercut, two right hands and another left hook. Then he came to the centre of the ring!" "Basilio, what a guy . He was so tough. I was a lightweight and he was a middleweight champion. But I was the Golden Boy, and the Golden Boy was supposed to do things, Unheard of, I couldn't do this. So I hit him with my best shot, right on the chin. Whack! He just smiles at me. My best shot, and he smiles. Thank god he went easy on me!"..

vCash

'GOLDEN BOY' ART ARAGON QUITS BOXING

Los Angeles, Jan 23 1960

Art Aragon "Golden Boy" of boxing, has called it quits after a 16 year career in which he received more than a million dollers in purses. The 32 year old native of New Mexico reached his decision here thursday night after suffering a ninth round technical knockout by Alvaro Gutierrez. "I'm glad I didn't win" Aragon said after the defeat. "If I had won I would have fought again and I'd wind up getting hurt. I'm glad it's over."

vCash

Baby Arizmendi

vCash

Mexican Joe Rivers, Tom McCarey and Baby Arizmendi

vCash

Baby Arizmendi/Irish Jackie Carter August. 22, 1939

Baby Arizmendi turned "killer" in his clash with Irish Jackie Carter at the Olympic Auditorium, knocking the Washington D.C. kid stiff in the first round. Although the first hard right that floored Carter for nine really spelled his doom. Arizmendi had to drop the baby-faced Irishman four times to keep him down for the count. Arizmendi weighed 137 1/2, Carter 136.

vCash

Mando Muniz and Ernie "Red" Lopez

vCash

Ramon Tiscareno/Alvaro Guttierez April. 27 1957

His long, enforced vacation evidently didn't hurt Ramon Tiscareno, 146 for he outslugged newly -arrived Alvaro Guttierez of Mexico, 146 at Hollywood Legion Stadium to win by TKO in the 6th. Guttierez' right eye was cut, and there seemed to be an assortment of cuts inside his mouth. He was spouting blood like a geyser.

vCash

Art "Golden Boy" Aragon/Joey Abasta Jan. 6, 1958

Arthur Anthony Aragon, erstwhile Golden Boy, scored a 6th round TKO over Joey Abasta, Aragon, 154, Abasta, 146. A near-capacity crowd of 2500 saw the bout in Tucson Arizona. It was Art's second scrap since his license was issued by the State Athletic Commission, following the court reversal of the 1 to 5 year sentence imposed on him last year on the charge of fixing a fight. In his first scrap, he whipped Woody Winslow in San Diego before a near-capacity crowd of 3400. that was in December. Evidently the Golden Boy has not lost his box-office appeal..

+ Reply to Thread