Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 2060

Thread: History of California Boxing in Photos

vCash

Re: History of California Boxing in Photos

1951 Fight for Life
    By Frank “kiki” Baltazar

In 1951 when I was a fifteen year old kid I used to ride the bus and streetcar from the Simons Brickyard to the Teamsters Gym in downtown L.A. to spar with Keeny Teran as he was getting ready for his fight with Gil Cadilli. Keeny and Gil were two hot prospects at the time. Back then prospects didn’t shy away from fighting each other as they were coming up the ranks. Keeny who was two or three years older than me and a way better fighter than me didn’t try to hurt me in our sparring sessions. He would use our sparring sessions to sharpen-up his boxing skills. Move, jab, move, jab, is what he did in our sparring sessions. I, of course was just thrill to be in the same ring with Keeny Teran. Keeny and I only sparred a few times; as there were times when he would have to go to the Main Street Gym to get some heavy sparring with some of the local pros.

Keeny was a small guy who at the age of 18 looked like he was fourteen years old or younger. But, if you tried to take advantage of his youthful looks in the ring he would make sure you paid for it.

The Teran v Cadilli fight was between two cross-town rivals. Cadilli had an eight and one record; whereas Keeny was undefeated in six fights. It was a fight that on its own merits would have sold out the Legion. The main-event was Enrique Bolanos and Eddie Chavez in a twelve rounder. The Bolanos v Chavez fight was the 1951 “Fight for Life” where some of the gate proceeds would go to the City of Hope Cancer Hospital. “Fight for Life” was a big yearly event and it was decided by matchmaker, Hap Navarro, to make this the, 1951 Fight for Life card, the greatest card in the history of the yearly event, which in my opinion it was.

On fight night, June 22, 1951. My uncles, Tony Ramos, Ray Gonzalez and I jumped in Uncle Ray’s 1948 Chevy coupe to drive to the Hollywood Legion Stadium to see Keeny and Gil fight the six round semi main. As we walked into the sold-out; smoke-filled arena you could feel the electricity in the air. It felt so heavy that it seemed like you could have sliced it with a knife. And I felt proud to have been close to Keeny Teran who played a big part in creating the electricity the fans were feeling that night in the Golden Age of Southern California boxing.

The Teran/Cadilli fight started fast with Keeny having the upper hand in the first four rounds. Cadilli came on strong in the last two rounds to make it a close fight, but not strong enough to win the fight in my opinion. I thought keeny won, but the fight was called a draw. Maybe I was bias.

The Bolanos v Chavez match; which was a California state lightweight title fight, was an action pack fight, with first one than the other having the upper hand. In the end Enrique Bolanos walked out of the ring with a unanimous decision.

June 22, 1951 was a great night for me.

vCash

Link to above story with photos

http://westcoastboxersofyearsgoneby.blogspot.com/

vCash

Another great story Frank.
    The only thing missing in all these pictures is a picture of you taken during your days in the ring.
    I am sure I am not the only one that would appreciate seeing a few of those pictures.

Randy

vCash

Randy, don't have any such pictures....Wish I did.

vCash

Tony Baltazar v John Montes
    By Frank "kiki" Baltazar

A cross town rivalry between Tony Baltazar and John Montes had been building up in the late '70's. Both had being getting some good amateur wins, so it was just a matter of time that they fought. On our part we were ready to fight Montes at any time.

John Montes came into the junior boxing program scene in the early '70's, whereas Tony started in '64 and by the mid- '70's (1976) had already won the National Junior Olympic title. We felt that Tony was too experience for John at that point.

At the time they fought, Felix Villareal, was the amateur matchmaker at the Olympic Auditorium. Felix called me on a Monday and said that the Montes's wanted to fight Tony on Thursday night, I said okay. Felix then said that it had to be at '32, again I said okay, Tony can make '32 if thatís what they want I told Felix. Thursday morning, Tony and Frankie and I went to the weight inís. Frankie was with us because he was fighting the main-event against Shig Fukuyama that night. Both Frankie and Tony made weight easy.

That night before the fights started I run into my Uncle Florentino, my dad's brother, at the Olympic. He was with a group of Monteís fans. He told me that Tony better win as he was betting every one of his friends that were backing Montes. Tony ended the fight with a beautiful left hook in under-30 seconds of the first round. Frankie, in a good fight stopped Fukuyama in the fourth round.

vCash

vCash

Ray Luna

Ray Luna was a very well respected boxing man out of Los Angeles. Ray was active in Los Angeles boxing starting in the late 1940s working as a trainer/corner-man and manager for well-known Los Angeles fighters such as Art Aragon (corner man), he managed keeny Teran, Carlos Chavez and world bantamweight champion Manuel Ortiz (albeit late in their careers) et al. When not busy in boxing Ray worked as a bartender.

Ray and California Boxing hall of Fame President Don Fraser were very good friends when both were single man and Ray’s bartending job gave both a chance to meet the ladies, the boxing groupies of that era you could say.
    For you that have seen the 1952 movie, “The Ring”, you can see Ray in the dressing room scene with Art Aragon.

Ray Luna died in the mid-‘80s.
    Last edited by kikibalt; 02-13-2012 at 11:58 PM.

vCash

Ray Luna was the trainer and manager of world bantamweight champion Manuel Ortiz at the time Ortiz fought and lost the bantamweight title to Vic Toweel in South Africa in 1950.

vCash

Art "Golden Boy" Aragon/Woody Winslow...Oct 28, 1955

Art Rusty In Taking Winslow.

Art Aragon his ankle apparently back in shape following it's ill-fated collapse here against Joe Miceli last Aug 4, made his comeback into local fistic circles last night at the Olympic. Where he hammered out an impressive 10 round technical knockout over Woody Winslow in the nontelevised main event. A 5-1 favorite over the boy who recently scored a third round knockout over Ramon Tiscareno. Aragon was way ahead when he finally dropped Winslow after 28 seconds of the final round with a fast left hook to the chin. Referee Dynamite Jackson didn't bother to count after Winslow went down. He merely stepped over and hoisted Aragon's hand in token of victory.

vCash

Art "Golden Boy" Aragon/Henry Davis...Aug.5,1953 San Francisco.

Two of Southern California's better fighters traveled up to San Francisco to settle their feud, but succeeded only in adding more fuel to the fire. Before 3000 fans at Cow Palace. Art "Golden Boy" Aragon 144 1/2, was awarded a knockout over Henry Davis, 138 1/2, Los Angeles, in 1 :39 of the tenth and last round. The referee stopped the bout on the advice of the doctor because of a bad cut in Davis' lower lip. The crowd booed and Davis fumed, but the fight was all over, just when it seemed as if the 3 to 1 underdog was on his way to victory. Harder puncher Aragon tried for a knockout over his smaller and faster foe, but was unable to hurt Henry. It was nip-and-tuck for the first seven rounds, with both still fresh. Davis opened up in the eighth, drove Art to the ropes, and stunned him with an overhand right to the jaw. Aragon staggered Davis with a short right to the chin at the bell, but his left eye was cut. Aragon was swinging wildly in the ninth and a left hook opened the cut in Henry's lip. Art was bleeding from the nose and left eye, and both were covered with gore. Aragon came out fast for the tenth and was throwing punches from all angles as he tried to pull out victory. They were slugging it out, when the referee halted them to have the doctor look at Davis' mouth. When it was stopped the fans swarmed over the ring, screaming for the fight to continue. The bout was televised nationally , while being blacked out in the San Francisco area. It drew $6.000. A rematch would be a sellout. At the end of nine rounds both judges had Davis in front 50-49, while the referee had it for Art 50 1/2-48 1/2.

http://youtu.be/tMq8Vlkcoso
    Art Aragon v Henry Davis
    Last edited by kikibalt; 02-19-2012 at 09:32 AM.

vCash

Luis "El Fero" Rodriquez and Battling Torres

vCash

vCash

Bolanos/Aragon...Fe.14, 1950

Enrique Bolanos will probably enter the Olympic ring Tuesday night a 10-7 favorite over Art (Golden Boy) Aragon...While a sell-out is not anticipated, the bout should gross around $35,000, which would be very good...Both participants are in great shape. Bolanos wound up his drills boxing daily with Joey Barnum, Leo Romero, Gil Cadilla and Houston Brown...Aragon worked with Georgie Fields, Baby Ray Jones and Lauro Salas.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt View Post
    Bolanos/Aragon...Fe.14, 1950

Enrique Bolanos will probably enter the Olympic ring Tuesday night a 10-7 favorite over Art (Golden Boy) Aragon...While a sell-out is not anticipated, the bout should gross around $35,000, which would be very good...Both participants are in great shape. Bolanos wound up his drills boxing daily with Joey Barnum, Leo Romero, Gil Cadilla and Houston Brown...Aragon worked with Georgie Fields, Baby Ray Jones and Lauro Salas.
    hey frank,

where did aragon and bolanos train for their fight ? any idea of their purses ?

greg

vCash

No idea on both, Greg....Back then fighters used to go to training camps. In the late '40s-early-'50s there were 2-3 of them close to LA. I have pictures of both in training camps somewhere in my files.

vCash

Aragon/Bolanos...Feb. 14, 1950.

Art Aragon's victory over Enrique Bolanos came as a suprise to most of the boxing fans, but not to those with an inside knowledge of there respective abilities at this time. The real suprise to some of us was that Bolanos could withstand Aragon's terrific punches as long as he did. Aragon too, must have expected to score an early knockout, for, he came rushing out at the opening bell and delivered his hardest blows, but Bolanos did not go down, or appear much hurt by them. The action was fast and rugged in every round, but although it was Bolanos who was receiving most punishment, it was Aragon who was the most fatigued at the halfway point. Although far behind, it appeared that Bolanos might pull the fight out of the fire when he spilled Aragon for a one-count and punched him all over the ring in the tenth. But Aragon came out fresh and full of fight in the 11th and took Bolanos apart. Bolanos was pounded to the floor under a volley of leathel leather. He arose at count of nine, dazed and wobbly, but waded right back into Art and swapped punches untill another series of devastating blows put him back on the floor. The bell saved him from a knockout at the count of eight. Bolanos was in no fit condition to come out for the 12th-but he did. Aragon pummeled his dazed weakened bloody foe, until Enrique not being able to endure the pain any longer-turned away. Referee Frankie Van waved Aragon to his corner, making him a T.K.O. victor. This corner credited Aragon with six of the eleven rounds fought, tabbed Bolanos in three, and called three even. Each weighed 135. A crowd of 9500 paid in $38,005 to witness the bout. In the prelims, all four-rounders: Chucho Jiminez, 134 decisioned Rocky Haro, 131, Dave Gallardo, 122 nodded Bobby DiGiovanni, 123, Fugie Rodriguez, 125, bested Manuel Maldonado, 127, Johnny Novella, 136 shaded Chuck Thompson, 136 Bobby Garza, 121, outpointed Jimmy Dunn, 125.

vCash

Art "Golden Boy" Aragon...

Aragon showed his grit in more then 100 battles against stalwart fighters in the boxing crazy area that featured boxing shows almost any day of the week from San Bernardino to Santa Monica. In many of those fights Aragon rarely trained hard after spending many a night carousing and chasing women. During his peak the lightweight slugger fought numerous times to sold out crowds at both the Hollywood Legion Stadium and the Olympic Auditorium. Among those he engaged in the ring were Carlos Chavez, Jimmy Carter, Lauro Salas, Don Jordon. Cisco Andrade, Chuck Davey and Enrique Bolanos. Aragon was the only sports figure who could attract a standing-room-only crowd in the pouring rain, that tells you the kind of attraction he was, Aragon owned the town...

vCash

vCash

Art Aragon...The Original Golden Boy...

When Aragon fought, he became the surest thing to a guaranteed sell out when he apeared on fight cards from the 1940s to 1960. The lightweight slugger from East Los Angeles packed them in with people looking to see him knock out or get knocked out. Outside the ring he proved just as irresistible to fans and onlookers who saw the prizefighter regularly clown and joke his way in and out of trouble, Hollywood was captivated with the charismatic Aragon. Many recall Aragon's womanizing ways and willingness to accept dares to seduce an unsuspecting female, Aragon would often tell friends, "Do you think I could get that girl?". Many observers said that despite Aragon's penchant for the Hollywood nightlife, once he got in the ring he became a different human being. The closest the Golden Boy came to a world championship came in 1951 when he beat champion Jimmy Carter in a non-title affair at the Olympic. Three months later they fought again, a weight drained Aragon lost over 15 rounds with the lightweight title on the line, being dropped twice along the way. He did get revenge when he met Carter a third time five years later, Aragon battered Carter for 10 rounds in an easy victory, weighing 142, Art always said "At 142 I'd fight Joe Louis"

vCash

Art "Golden Boy" Aragon...

The Golden Boy. A legend with a devastating left hook matched only by his matinee idol looks. a celebrity among celebrities. The most popular fighter in Los Angeles, guaranteed to pack the house. And yet one simultaneously loved and despised by LA's Mexican fight fans. Oscar who? No, we're talking about boxing's original Golden Boy. Art Aragon. Possessor of a gaudy 87-16-6 record, with 60 KOs, Art Aragon was the Golden Boy during the golden age of boxing in Los Angeles. This remarkable lifgtweight and welterweight, enjoyed a career spanning sixteen years, during which time he fought, and defeated, some of the toughest in the game. "I coulda gone further," he reflected "My biggest drawback, looking over my life, I didn't like to train, the most I ever trained in my life was a month, six weeks. I didn't like training. Jim Murray asked me one time 'Art, we know you hate training. What do you hate the most? The boxing, the sparring, the roadwork?' I said 'yes!. His career was interrupted by military service in 1945-46, during which time he had no fights for a twelve month period, and again from late 1946 through early 1948 fighting only once in 1947. "I quit fighting for a while. I was a young kid, and I may have gotten robbed, and I was very disappointed in boxing, and I gave it up." Yet, when asked what got him back into it, he responds, characteristically, "You can't stop being an idiot. Once an idiot, always an idiot!" Aragon returned with a vengeance, fighting thirty five times from 1948 through 1950. The next year, he fought Jimmy Carter twice, decision him in 10 and then losing by decision in 15, his only championship shot. Deadpanning Aragon muses, "When I fought him, I was fighting at 142, and it's tough getting down to 135 [It was so hard making weight] I was the only fighter they ever carried into the ring! "Good fighter. I won the first five rounds, and ran out of gas. And he won the last 40 rounds!" Momentarily introspective, Aragon remarks, "I thank god, and I mean this sincerely, anybody that had as many fights as I did can't even talk. I know a good fighter, won't mention his name. Good fighter, great fighter, champion. [I said] 'Hi, how are you, good to see you again.' And you know what he said to me? 'Bwoa duow bla.' And I believed him!" ...

vCash

Art Aragon/Reybon Stubbs...December 3, 1959...

BIG MONEY CAREER OVER FOR SRUGGLING ARAGON

Even if he refuses to follow the avalanche of advice from his freinds and decides instead to continue fighting, Art Aragon is doomed as a big money gate attraction. Despite his struggling efforts to the contrary, the handwriting has been shouting on the wall ever since Art was pasted by Carmen Basilio before a California record $236,531 crowd in September 1958. But it wasn't until his one-sided loss to Reybon Stubbs that anybody would really believe it.

Now, even his dreams of one last big money battle with Battling Torres or Don Jordan have been smashed. The State Athletic Commission might not even sanction matches. Aragon would be in real physical danger. Against Stubbs, Art's reflexes and legs (despite the fact he had trained well and was in good condition) were gone.

Not a heavy puncher, Stubbs actually toyed with Aragon as he outboxed him all the way, winning nine of 10 rounds on the cards of nearly every ringside reporter. Nevertheless, Aragon as always, made it exciting. He kept chasing Stubbs trying to get over one big punch. But it was pathetic and futile. Aragon had the desire, but no longer the equipment. His big punch has vanished.

Looking back, he's had a fabulous career-15 years, most of it as the No. 1 attraction in Los Angeles. Even near the end here in 1959, he managed to win seven, drop only two. But the magic is gone. Fans realize now more then ever that he can't beat any really good opponents. The Stubbs bout drew well (but not impressive for an Aragon match) as 5500 fans turned up to pay a gross gate of 10,566. It will get worse if he continues.

vCash

This fight never happened

GOLDEN BOY MEETS GUDER APRIL 25...

Art Aragon is not exactly the world's most charming personality. Most of the time he's happy to admit it. He works hard to irritate. It's part of his bread and butter. Long ago he discovered that villains make better copy, have flashier cars and are longer remembered. But the Golden Boy has decided to make an exception to his rule and momentarily play it straight.

At the risk of being stamped a sentimentalist and a nice guy, Arthur has become the central figure in a charity fight April 25 at Hollywood Legion Stadium. Largely through Art's effort, the match will produce funds for former boxer Julian Velasquez, a local featherweight prospect who suffered serious brain injury last year in a bout against Eddie Gasporra at Hollywood. Surgery saved Julian's life, but he's still unable to work, and the little money he earned from boxing has long been gone.

Although Art's opponent in the bout-Karl Guder-is not quite what you would call a fierce foe, the program rates support from evey ring fan. Art himself will turn over part of his purse as will Aragon's manager, Paul Caruso. There will also be a couple of small raffles and donations can be sent to "The Julian Velasquez Fund" in care of Hollywood Stadium.

Altogether they hope to raise at least $2000 for Velasquez, enough to to put down on a small home for him and his family (wife and one child) and start him learning a trade he can handle. From the begining of Julian's troubles, Aragon has kept in close touch. It wasn't known to the public, but Harry Kabakoff, former manager of the stricken fighter, says Aragon has repeatedly sent money to help the fighter with food and clothing for the past year. Art was actually the first to suggest the charity bout. So this one time the Golden Boy deserves a cheer. As for the fight itself, it will mark Aragon's first start since his controversial 4th round "no decision" kayo over Charlie Sawyer in the same ring. Aragon hopes it will lead to a clash here later this year with Don Jordan for the welterweight championship-depending, of course on how Jordan comes out in his title rematch with Virgil Akins April 24 in St. Louis.

Both Aragon and Guder knocked out Ramon Tiscareno, were held to draws by Frankie Belma, and beaten by Joe Miceli in fights against common opponents. However Guder doesn't have the power to play with Art on one of his better nights. I think Aragon will win in a breeze. But the big winner will be Velasquez in this one. And also the fans who take part...

vCash

The Golden Boy's last hurrah

ART ARAGON TAKES WORST BEATING OF HIS CAREER...

Los Angeles, Jan. 22-Art Aragon, the "Golden Boy" of California boxing, went out last night like the champion he never became. But, as he was leaving, he hesitated-suggesting perhaps that he might be back. Aragon, a boxer for half his 32 years, said he would quit if he lost this one to Alvaro Gutierrez, a bullish clubfighter from Mexico. He lost. Art was bloody, bushed and beaten when Referee Tommy Hart stopped it in the ninth round. But if his competence was gone, his courage persisted. He was ready to go on when Hart put his arms around him and said: "It's all over Art, It's all over"

The United Press representative at ringside said Gutierrez handed Aragon his worst beating of his 16-year career). Aragon, talkative and provocative, usually gets a lot of abuse from the fight crowd. This time, many of the 8100 at the Olympic Auditorium gave him a standing ovation, some of them shouting as though carried away by the final act of a tragic opera. Aragon, still fast with the quip though slow of arm, had nothing funny to say in the dressing room. But he didn't say what he was supposed to-that he will retire. "I want to think about it a couple of days," he said. Then the ancient fighter's lament: "I could have won if I'd fought a different fight." A writer at ringside agreed: "He could have won, all right, if the fight had been 10 years ago"

Whatever Aragon decides, his manager is through with him as a fighter. Paul Caruso said he would terminate their business relationship if Aragon lost and insisted on fighting again. Aragon presented flashbacks of his former self early in the fight, even though he was knocked down for a three-count in the first round. Art had a good second round and got in some nice shots in the third, although fewer then Gutierrez. Then in the fourth, Aragon scored with a sharp combination and gave the Mexican the wobbles. Art might have been only one punch away from a knockout, but he never landed it. Aragon was obviously weary after the fourth. He accumulated punishment almost constantly from then until Hart stepped between the fighters in the ninth...

vCash

Aragon/Andrade...Aug. 1956.

Art Aragon, still keeping his weight a much publicized secret, moved his training camp entourage to Pop Soper's spot in Ojai today to put on the finiishing touches for his Aug. 29 match with Cisco Andrade. Under a bond to make 144 1/2 pounds, Art refused to get on the scales for the benefit of the press yesterday during drills at the Hollywood Legion Stadium. Golden Boy wouldn't weigh himself until everybody cleared out and door was locked. However, it appears he isn't having too much trouble shaving off his extra poundage, and although he still scales somewhere in the vicinity of 152 his last 10 days at Soper's figures to do the job. Incidentally, another smash crowd of over 2000 fans turned out yesterday for the "Sunday Workouts" at Hollywood.

vCash

Art Aragon/Tony Chavez...Sept,16.1949...

San Jose Tony Chavez comes to Hollywood Legion Stadium proceded by a sizable reputation as a durable little fisticuffer. He has faced some highly explosive punchers in past bouts and as yet has never been counted out in ring combat. That could be, perhaps, the reason why he's shown no great awe for the pulverizing power of Art Aragon, that is why he his in a position to spring the upset of the year here tonight.

Local fight men agree there aren't many lightweights in captivity capable of whipping the "Golden Boy"; In the same breath they'll tell you Art has got himself no softie for an opponent tonight. And when men in boxing think enough of a fight to take on the interest typical of the fight fan it's almost a sure indication that a sizzling battle is expected.

Because of a series of circumstances, Art Aragon has been forced to literally smash his way to the top of the lightweight heap. He's had trouble getting the top fighters in the nation to face him. He has but one alternative in such case and that is to prove, by comparative performances, that he his without doubt the outstanding 135 pounder on the left coast. He has the punching power to put his point over; And you can believe that he has the will to use that punching power. He has already knocked out 21 of his 42 foes; Tony Chavez is bound to change those figures one way or another.
    Last edited by kikibalt; 03-02-2012 at 09:09 AM.

vCash

Art Aragon/Bolton Ford...Aug, 26. 1949...Hollywood Legion Stadium.

Art Aragon and Bolton Ford. For seven days now, those two names have been a major topic of conversation among fistic followers of this locality. Whenever aragon's name is mentioned, it is invariably followed by "Golden Boy" "20 knockouts in 40 bouts," or "Jimmy Roche's comin champ." He's up against a spoiler of no mean ability tonight. When you think of Bolton Ford you'll probably think too of his wins over Paulino Montes in this very ring late last year. Or his decisive whipping of Irvin Sheen, because of his unorthodox style Ford will be a definite match for young Aragon. Both boys have had a share in the national rankings at one time or another. Both have quite a deal at stake tonight. Ford has never been knocked out. If he gets by Art, he'll succeed where eight others have failed this year. On the other hand if Artie flattens him, we'll go along with many observers who see a brilliant future in boxing for Art Aragon.

vCash

Art "Golden Boy" Aragon/Richie Shinn...Sept,20.1948

SAN FRANCISCO-Matchmaker Bennie Ford has a standout lightweight duel for the bowl next monday when Art Aragon, from L.A. clashes with clever Richie Shinn over the ten round distance...Aragon staged two smashers against John L. Davis at Oakland in recent outings and his match with Tommy Campbell was called a two round technical draw when Art suffered a cut eye from an unintentional butt...Senor Aragon is considered one of the top prospects in the southland and is noted for his action fighting.

vCash

Aragon/Flores...Nov,1.1948...San Francisco.

Meeting pretty stiff opposition in young and aggressive Art Aragon of Los Angeles. Jesse Flores Stockton's lightweight contender had to go all out to earn a draw with the latest coast lightweight sensation, it was a fast moving battle all the way with Flores slowed down somewhat by the extra weight around his middle but showing nothing lost by his recent Kayo at the hands of Ike Williams. The house was a slim $5200. Referee "Little" Billy Burke voted for Aragon, one judge marked his card for Flores and the other called it even. Flores came in at 141, Aragon at 136.

vCash

Gil Cadilli/Jimmy Moser...Jan,11.1958...

Once an Angeleno, now a San Franciscan-but still a Californian-Gil Cadilli, 131, scored the unanimous 10-round verdict over Jimmy Moser, 131, at the Hollywood Legion Stadium. Moser substituted for Alfredo Escobar, who withdrew because of "assorted miseries." About 2700 fans paid a gross of $3,540 to see the scrap. Cadilli was penalized one point for a blow below the Mason-Dixon line in the 7th round. The ballots: Referee John Thomas, 96-94: Judge Frankie Van, 97-92: Judge Jimmy Wilson, 97-94. Actually, Moser was substituting for a substitute; when Escober pulled out. Lauro Salas was substituted, but Lauro was unable to go through because he had a previous commitment at the Olympic. Considering the short notice, Moser made a good showing.

vCash

Bolanos/Trigo...May,9.1950...Olympic Auditorium.

Los Angeles, Enrique Bolanos, 138, looked good in halting Mario Trigo, 139 1/2, in the seventh round of their main event.

+ Reply to Thread