Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 69 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2060

Thread: History of California Boxing in Photos

vCash

Re: History of California Boxing in Photos

"Lavorante will fall in five," proclaimed 20-year old Cassius Clay, nicknamed "The Mouth," before his fight with Alejandro Lavorante at the L.A. Sports Area. That night, Clay knocked out the Argentine heavyweight with a left hook in the...fifth round. Later that year, Lavorante fought John Riggins at the Olympic Auditorium. Knocked out in the sixth round, he slipped into a coma and died. Photo dated: July 20, 1962

vCash

Roberto Duran vs Alvaro Rojas

vCash

Joe Frazier vs Jerry Quarry

vCash

My hero when I was a kid in the '40s

vCash

I remember Pete well from when he was fighting in the southland

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt View Post

My hero when I was a kid in the '40s
    Joe Kirkwood Jr. did a good job as Joe Palooka in the late 1940s-early 1950s. Johnny Indrisano worked with him and made him look reasonably good. Jack Roper knocked Kirkwood out in one of their chorigrahed scenes.

vCash

Joe Kirkwood Jr. of Studio City, the movie Joe Palooka, gives advice to young Martin Ojeda, who boxes in the Golden Glove tournament tonight at the Hollywood Legion Stadium. Photo dated: February 13, 1959.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt View Post

Joe Kirkwood Jr. of Studio City, the movie Joe Palooka, gives advice to young Martin Ojeda, who boxes in the Golden Glove tournament tonight at the Hollywood Legion Stadium. Photo dated: February 13, 1959.
    Frank, Kirkwood is still going strong... at age 92. Amazing!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dan1213 View Post
    Frank, Kirkwood is still going strong... at age 92. Amazing!
    I thought he was dead WOW!!

vCash

vCash

August "Gus" Wilson (Born: 1887 or 1888; Died: July 27, 1951) was a prominent French-American boxing manager and trainer between the 1920s and 1940s. Wilson was born in Strasbourg, Alsace, France. He initially came to the United States in 1921 with Georges Carpentier, acting as his French-English translator for his bout with Jack Dempsey at Boyle's Thirty Acres in New Jersey. Wilson remained in the United States, and also worked with Dempsey during his second bout with Gene Tunney. After leaving Dempsey, Wilson ran a gym in Orangeburg, New Jersey, which was the frequent training spot for Jimmy McLarnin, for his bouts on the East Coast. During this time Wilson would often manage boxers from France fighting in the United States, such as Eugene Huat. Wilson would move to California during the early 1930s. His first notable fighter in California being Heavyweight prospect Bob Nestell. Wilson would manage one world champion during his career, Bantamweight champion Harold Dade. He continued to manage boxers until his death. On July 17, 1951, Wilson suffered a heart attack while in Portland, Oregon, with his boxer Baby Dutch Culbertson, who was facing Harry "Kid" Matthews. He
    would die in a Portland hospital ten days later.

Wally Hally & Manager Gus Wilson

vCash

Terry Young (right) and Enrique Bolanos trade blows during their ten-round fight
    at Madison Square Garden, Sept. 23, 1949. Young of New York's East Side, took a
    unanimous decision over the Mexican lightweight. At the weigh-in Young tipped the scales at
    140 1/4; Bolanos at 137 1/2.

vCash

Champion Ike Williams (L) reels from a well placed blow from challenger,
    Enrique Bolanos early in the fourth round of NBA lightweight title bout at Wrigley Field
    in Los Angeles, 4/30/46.

vCash

Ernesto Figueroa. Watched Figueroa fight a draw with Gil Cadilli at the Olympic in the later '50s

vCash

Harold 'Baby Face' Jones. Seen Jones fight in the southland a few times.
    Still remember his fight with Art Aragon in the early '50s

vCash

Here's a little flashback to stir the memories:

Thursday, March 5, 1948 (Good Friday weekend) - Hollywood Legion Stadium Program
    THE DOPE by DEAN SNYDER - Commander Jim Bradley and comrades of Hollywood Post 43 will do all in their power to lighten the sorrow and burden of the bereaved Leroy Decatur family. This is and has always been the purpose back of the Hollywood stadium enterprise. For twenty five years profits from boxing and wrestling have poured 100 percent into charities. Naturally the intent is to aid veterans of the war with Germany and their families that need financial assistance in a crisis. But the Post through the years has been among the first to help many others. So next Friday night on April 2nd the entire proceeds of the regular boxing show will go to the Decatur memorial fund, excepting that the boxers appearing will be paid. Matchmaker Bobby Jackson, working in full cooperation with the local fight managers, is arranging a card of six six-round bouts. We think that Leroy Decatur, who lost his life trying to entertain us boxing fans, would want it just this way if he could be here next Friday--and he will be in spirit… Hugh Nichols turned over the entire gate of his Monday night wrestling show to the Crippled Children’s fund of the Hollywood Hospital. This fund is sponsored by the West Hollywood Rotary club of which Frank Gotch is an official.

Friday, April 1, 1949 - Hollywood Legion Stadium Souvenir Program
    MAKING IT OFFICIAL - The Rev. Joseph P. Hill, assistant CYO director, signs an agreement to stage CYO amateur boxing bouts at the Hollywood Legion Stadium… The California State Athletic Commission wholeheartedly passed on the CYO application at the meeting last Saturday in Bakersfield. Bouts will start on April 20... Admission has been scaled at from 75 cents to $2.00.
    THE CHAMP IS HERE TONIGHT - Special Guest of the evening--Joe Louis.
    YOU SAID IT, GROUCHO - “Matches are made in Heaven--also at Hollywood Legion Stadium.”

THE LATIN TOUCH by “HAP” NAVARRO - Let’s open the door to the Stadium’s newly installed gym. There’s the speed bag platform… the heavy bag… the full-view mirror… The first time our gym swung open to Southern California boxers only a few showed up. Last week we counted 22. And the CYO’ers are still to come.

Friday, November 2, 1951 - Hollywood Legion Stadium Program
    PRELIMSTERS BATTLE FOR “BEST OF 1951” AWARD by HAP NAVARRO - With slightly more than eight weeks remaining to be fought, the local crop of prelim stars will be firing all their guns at the opposition in hopes of hitting the tape first in the run for the “Outstanding Prelim Boxer” accolade for 1951. At the moment, and it is merely our opinion, the leaders in this merry chase though not necessarily in this order, appear to be Keeny Teran, Gil Cadilli, Willie Vaughn, Mickey Northrup, Juan Luis Campos, Tommy Harrison, Rocky Robinson, and Leroy Richards. Others who may get into the picture are Don Cloud, Pinky Martinez, Abel Fernandez, Mike Augustain, Pete Aguirre, Frankie Rivers, Eddie Hernandez, Jesse Morales and Jimmy Hayes. This group of headline hunters plus a few others who have already taken part in at least one main event, in Los Angeles or elsewhere figure to provide local fight fans with plenty of fireworks for the remainder of the year. Joe Gurrola, Sammy Figueroa, Oscar Reyes, Bobby Brewer, etc.

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

Paco Flores

Paco Flores v Vicente Medina
    5-4-1973

Community Center, Tucson, Arizona

referee: Joe Vozdik 98-97 | judge: Joe Vozdik 97-96 | judge: Robert Ferrara 97-97

In 1973I was in Tucson Az. for Mando Muniz’s fight against Manny Gonzalez. With Jake Horn and Louie Jauregui and others we took some amateurs to fill out the card. Vicente Medina came in from Mexico by himself and he needed a corner, I was asked if I would be chief second for him, I of course said yes. Paco Flores was the promoter’s brother and Medina was just supposed to be a an “opponent” At the start of the fight Medina is fighting Flores all wrong, following him in a straight line, throwing one punch at a time. After a couple of rounds I told him to what he was doing wrong, told him he needed to cut the ring on Flores and to put punches together. Medina was a good listener, he did as he was told and he started to win the fight. Now Flores people started to worry because about the middle of the fight a guy who I later found out was from the Az. Boxing commission came to talk to me and asked me “who are you?” I responded “I am Frank Baltazar” “well Frank do you have a license to work corners?”, “yes” I replied, “can I see it?” he asked, I handed him my license “but this is a California license” “of course, I am from California” I said as I played the dummy, “after the fight come to the commission table and get an Az. License”, “okay I will” I replied.

As the fight continued I could see that Medina was pulling ahead, but he lost a split decision. But if you are fighting the promoter’s brother a split decision means you won.

The fight been over I go to the commission’s table. I was drag over the coals for working an Arizona fight without an Arizona license, again I played the dummy, told them that I thought my California license was good enough. No sir! I was told. “You have $100?” I was asked, I replied that I did “good, let me have it” the commish told me as he handed me a license and taking my money at the same time.

vCash

Hegemon Lewis, Mando Ramos, Ernie Indian red Lopez

vCash

Mando Ramos v Sugar Ramos

vCash

Mario Trigo & Jimmy carter

vCash

Sid Flaherty & Gil Cadilli

vCash

Art Aragon v Carlos Chavez I

vCash

Art Aragon and Mickey Rooney

vCash

Carmen Basilio v Art Aragon

Don't know why they look like they are fighting southpaw, they were not, I was there and they never fought southpaw, oh well!!

vCash

The photo is the wrong way around. Look at Art's gloves - the writing is backwards.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Boxscribe View Post
    The photo is the wrong way around. Look at Art's gloves - the writing is backwards.

+ Reply to Thread