Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Worst color commentary...ever...?

vCash

Worst color commentary...ever...?

Jake and Vicki LaMotta doing color for Roberto Duran-Davey Moore on VS network last night. Great fight. I had forgotten what a machine Duran was in his prime.

vCash

Re: Worst color commentary...ever...?

Quote Originally Posted by DscribeDC
    Jake and Vicki LaMotta doing color for Roberto Duran-Davey Moore on VS network last night. Great fight. I had forgotten what a machine Duran was in his prime.
    And that was not even prime Duran!

vCash

A comebacking Duran was fierce enough.

Fight was marred by Jake misidentifying Moore and Duran whenever each threw.

vCash

who could be worse than Lennox Lewis. Tell me one thing he said during the Klitschko-Brock fight that a fifth-grader would not know! This deal must have been hatched while he was still fighting. No other way would HBO tolerate his senseless blabber!

Fat Abbot

Lennox is terrible, what happened to Roy Jones?

vCash

Lennox is Don Dunphy compared to Jake and Vick. Trust me.

vCash

Vicky knew her boxing. She saw everything like I saw it. I was surprised. I thought see was some kind female boxer, then I heard the name Jake and that was that.

She knew that Duran was feinting, slipping, countering. She was calling him a master, which he. I alos feel that, that was Duran best performance and one of the greatest displays of counterpunching and infighting ever.

vCash

Check out Howard Cosell's live commentary of Monzon - Benvenuti II on youtube.com. It's among the very worst jobs I've ever seen.

Cosell is totally lost...including a 30 second or so stretch of time when he says absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by kenmore; 02-21-2007 at 01:32 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLP 6
    I alos feel that, that was Duran best performance and one of the greatest displays of counterpunching and infighting ever.
    That fight was an in-fighting clinic however keeping it in perspective, Moore was way too inexperienced to be fighting Duran with only 12 fight under his belt at the time.

Duran's counterpunching and infighting abilities were somewhat nullified by Wilfred Benitez the previous year in another counterpunching clinic. A sometimes forgotten fight and Wilfred's greatest performance IMO.

vCash

As great as Duran was he was inconsistent. Spectacular one night and average the next.... his pre-fight regime was terrible at times which may explain this.

vCash

Roy Jones is one of the worst ever, unless you speak ghetto ebonic slang or whatever the hell its called.

George Foreman was a bit whacky.

Leonard was ok. Dont think many US fighters have made for good color commentators. Agreed, Lennox doesn't really say much.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JaKob
    As great as Duran was he was inconsistent. Spectacular one night and average the next.... his pre-fight regime was terrible at times which may explain this.
    Duran's inconsistency only started -- in my opinion at least -- after he put on weight and moved out of the 135 lbs. division. Inconsistency was especially Duran's hallmark after winning the first Leonard fight in 1980.

In his prime, though, Roberto has to be regarded as one of the very, very best fighters of all time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Overhand_Right
    Roy Jones is one of the worst ever, unless you speak ghetto ebonic slang or whatever the hell its called.

Leonard was ok. Dont think many US fighters have made for good color commentators. Agreed, Lennox doesn't really say much.
    When did Roy ever go off on a ebonic tirade? The man more professional than Larry's ass. Leonard was great. Every fight I watched him on he shined. At least Foreman gave his true oppinions.

The guys they have now are pieces of Mu@##$%$, Sh#%%^.

vCash

Cosell is terrible ... he knew nothing about boxing ... he was all about self promotion and protecting his territory ... his reaction time was awful...he was highly opinionated, could not get away from the story he was trying to harp on despite changes in the ebb and flow of a fight...actually painful to listen to and quite embarassing.

vCash

Bert Sugar doing color commentary for Hearns - Duran.

Fat Abbot

Quote Originally Posted by Overhand_Right

It's called English, actually.

Perhaps you should go back to Kindergarten if you could not understand?

vCash

I thought Roy was excellent...he had exceptional vision and saw things all the other missed. Ray was disappointing and George was there for laughs ...

vCash

In point of fact, Fat, African American Vernacular English (AAVE), also called African American English, Black English, Black Vernacular, Black English Vernacular (BEV), or Black Vernacular English (BVE), is a specific-type variety (dialect, ethnolect and sociolect) of the American English language. It is known colloquially as ebonics (a portmanteau of "ebony" and "phonics"). Some socio-linguists do formally recognize it as a separate language.

Thanks to the internet, Fat, you don't have to go back to kindergarten to learn all this. Here are some websites about ebonics for your use and edification:

http://www.une.edu.au/langnet/aave.htm

http://www.rehabmed.ualberta.ca/spa/...y/features.htm

http://www.missouri.edu/~bkstdwww/ebonics.html

Fat Abbot

Quote Originally Posted by raylawpc
    In point of fact, Fat, African American Vernacular English (AAVE), also called African American English, Black English, Black Vernacular, Black English Vernacular (BEV), or Black Vernacular English (BVE), is a specific-type variety (dialect, ethnolect and sociolect) of the American English language. It is known colloquially as ebonics (a portmanteau of "ebony" and "phonics"). Some socio-linguists do formally recognize it as a separate language.

Thanks to the internet, Fat, you don't have to go back to kindergarten to learn all this. Here are some websites about ebonics for your use and edification:

http://www.une.edu.au/langnet/aave.htm

http://www.rehabmed.ualberta.ca/spa/...y/features.htm

http://www.missouri.edu/~bkstdwww/ebonics.html
    Those links would be useful if Roy actually spoke it.

You see, not all blacks speak "ebonic" just like not all jews are good with money. Roy spoke in English and it was perfectly understandle to anyone with ears.

You may want to revisit kindergarten since you can't seem to understand English, I admit your ability to "google" is better developed, but I doubt that'll be on the SAT.

vCash

Hi Fat.

I wasn't aware that I was the one who said Roy Jones, Jr. spoke ebonics.

vCash

Vickie Lamotta did a excellent job considering that she is a non boxing girl and seen as such. She saw the fight as it was. She showed alot more boxing knowledge than most commentators who try to tell me what Im seeing when I know Im seeing something else.
    Roy Jones knows his boxing. But his personality was a turnoff. Way too much of a ego and no real personality to speak of to depend on it to carry him through. Who needs that?
    As far as Jake seeing the fight. Its a one shot deal and Im sure all boxing fans enjoyed knowing its Jake doing the talking.
    I like Lennox Lewis as far as fighters go. Hes a gentleman, speaks proper English and of course knows whats hes looking at. He at least tries to act the part of the Sportsman, something the egomaniac American fighters dont seem to get the grip of.
    Again, I say the great commentators like Drees, Dunphy, and others let you watch the bout and only add stuff that helps you watch it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Abbot
    It's called English, actually.

Perhaps you should go back to Kindergarten if you could not understand?
    Fat,

Your second sentance is a statement not a question and therefore a question mark is not required.

Perhaps you should go back to kindergarten if you have difficulty understanding the proper use of punctuation and it's practical application as it pertains to the english language.

vCash

I liked the commentary of Leonard, Jones Jr., Foreman, and Lewis. I felt they all brought their own unique perspective and added something to the broadcast. Sure they had good and bad days, and yes at times they could be annoying or say something wacky, but all of us would be that if we did this all the time. In the aggregate, I had no problem listening to these guys. Oh, and I truly enjoy Cosell broadcasts. Agree with his analysis or not, you have to admit he made every fight seem even more interesting. He gave it a larger than life feel just by the fact that he was commentating. You have to give it up to him, there has NEVER before or since been anyone quite like him. The aura he brought to a fight was phenomenal and unmatched. I WISH someone like that would come along again. I do miss guys like Barry Tompkins, Shawn O'Grady, Al Bernstein, and Al Albert, all of whom worked well on the crews they were with. That said, I think there truly needs to be more contrarians on these crews. Seems all they want to do is get along. I think there needs to be more devil's advocacy and counterpointing to create richer commentary these days. Something to spice things up.

Roberto Aqui

Quote Originally Posted by kenmore
    Check out Howard Cosell's live commentary of Monzon - Benvenuti II on www.youtube.com. It's among the very worst jobs I've ever seen.

Cosell is totally lost...including a 30 second or so stretch of time when he says absolutely nothing.
    My search yielded a Japanese soccer match.

Howie was actually a decent announcer until his ego blew up to match Ali's exploits and he ushered in Monday Night Football. He then became insufferable and all his weaknesses magnified.

Don't know why boxing can't even get it's announcers right. I liked George, but he should be restricted to heavies. Roy is too in love with himself. Lewis wants to play it safe and has no personality. A decent former contender type in the lighter weights is gonna have the best analysis for most bouts. The networks don't want good analysis of the lousy product they often put on. They just want a big name so they can promote their product.

vCash

I cant rember if it was bad,but I cant rember what she even said,but What was the deal with Candice Bergmen doing guest commetery on the Muhammad Ali vrs Jean Piere Coopman on network television.
    What was her background that she can comment on professional fisticuffs?
    I think the network was going out of there way to promaote some sit-com!!!

+ Reply to Thread