Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colin Jones Vs Armando Muniz

vCash

Colin Jones Vs Armando Muniz

All Colin Jones ever really required was to find his opponents chin cleanly, usually once would be enough, he would take it from there, Armando ? They didnít come much tougher and if he could succeed in dragging you into a long-haul brawl he was happy to take it from there,

for aggressors Colin has a very stiff left Jab with something very nasty locked and loaded behind it, Colin would not be facing a tall, long-armed fleeing McCory type, or someone with a superb straight punch armoury like Curry, so in theory he should be able to land, But Armando is so tough, rough and persistent that should he be able get up close and personal with Jones could he rough'house Jones out of it ? The pale Welsh Dragon Jones could really breath fire, but for Amando, like many Mexicans, itís often a case of the hotter the better, Colin or Amando ?

vCash

Re: Colin Jones Vs Armando Muniz

Both fighters are on about the same level to me, though i'd rate Muniz higher overall as he had a longer career and fought and beat a lot more top contenders than Jones did.

Colin is a buigger question mark and probably difficult to judge for most because his career was so brief and he didn't get to fight any world class fighters that suited his methodical stalking style.Fights with the likes of Honeyghan or Simon Brown would have given a better indication of how destructive he could be against fighters that either he didn't have to chase after or weren't vastly superior in terms of technical skill as Curry was.

I expect Muniz would outwork Jones and win the majority of the rounds, but i don't think he hit hard enough to hurt Jones or discourage him from trading.

As the bout wears on Muniz would have built up quite a lead while taking a lot of punishment in return.The problem for him is he;s poor defensively and doesn't have the lateral movement that would stop Jones from planting and getting full leverage on his shots.

As Armando slows down over the second half of the fight and becomes even more hittable, i tend to think he either gets taken out by some massive shots while well ahead on the cards, or dropped/badly hurt a few times and is able to still smother Jones enough to survive and take a close, perhaps arguable decision.

In the video and picture forum, i posted Curry vs Jones and some early Jones knockouts that are on youtube, if anyone wants a look that hasn't seen them.They are on the second page now.
    Last edited by starlingstomp; 12-01-2006 at 01:03 PM.

Banned
    vCash

I love matchups like these

Little thought about fantasy fights between guys I like to refer as nugget fighters. Not quite Golden nuggets, but valuable, yet generally overlooked none the less.

I agree with Stomp here on how this would play out but this would be a vastly entertaining battle.

Back in the day, this would have been a Saturday afternoon bout on ABC.

Byt today's standards, It's payperview.

And one I'd shuck out some dough to see.

Hawk

vCash

Although Colin Jones was a fine fighter and excellent banger I never saw a fighter go toe to toe with Armando Muniz and not end up on the canvas. I saw Ernie Lopez, Thurman Durden and Billy Lloyd inexplicably decide to get into a shootout with the guy and the end was absolutely sudden. And let's face it, jones only knew one way to fight, straight ahead. Saying Muniz would be taken out is unfathomable. Muniz had a rock jaw and never went down until the Napoles rematch and he fought a veritable who's who of the welterweights as well as 8 world champ's (or claimants). Jones was not that versatile. He only went to the post 30 times and the biggest names on his record besides Curry and McCrory was Kirkland Laing and Hans Henrik Palm. Cuties bothered Muniz, not bangers. I see Jones getting too brave, trying to stand with Muniz, getting dropped for his trouble and then the ref pulling off one of the world's great finishers off of the Welshman in about 6 rounds.

Dan

vCash

That could very well happen Dan and i woudln't be surprised at all if Armando won, but i thinking it's a bit unfair to say it's unfathomable that Muniz be taken out(after a long hard battle of course, not by a single shot early on).It's not like he showed a complete inability to be hurt until completely and utterly shot as Granite chinned guys like Laporte, Mamby and Hagler did.If that was the case i probably wouldn't give punchers like Jones, Trinidad or Cuevas any chance of winning against him , due to his workrate.

I suppose that's the intrigue about matchups like this though, it could easily be a case of chin over power...or a replay of something like Antonio Avelar, Rosario vs Bramble or Briscoe vs Valdez.

I'd also like to add that i agree with hawk, about fights like this between often forgotten older contenders.It's refreshing to be able to discuss these fighters with fans that saw them fight and aren't just predominantly interested in the current scene or Heavyweights like many other boxing boards.
    Last edited by starlingstomp; 12-02-2006 at 08:14 AM.

vCash

i saw mando muniz from his last amateur fights to his end as a pro and i think dan's use of the word "unfathomable" fits.

slugging with muniz was simply jumping into the fire. i realized this way back when mando fought on the undercard of buchanan-navarro. for some reason that nite he was in with a big strong middleweight named mike seyler. seemed seyler decided to enforce his size advantage over the young muniz and got his ass handed to him. mando fought a lot of sluggers from there and i never saw any dents in his armour until late, late into his career and even then it took hall of famers napoles, palomino and leonard to do it.
    greg

vCash

I saw Mando Muniz fight a number of times in person and on
    television which seeing Colin Jones only once on television.
    Based on what I saw, Muniz would be too rugged and
    aggressive for someone like Jones.

- Chuck Johnston

+ Reply to Thread