Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cotto-Quintana, Margarito-Clottey Results & Discussion 12/2/06

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Cotto-Quintana, Margarito-Clottey Results & Discussion 12/2/06

It looks like Dig will cover this one. Per usual please keep all discussion of this card to this thread. Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Cotto-Quintana, Margarito-Clottey Results & Discussion 12/2/06

Round 1, Margarito controlled the pace with the jab, backing Clottey up. Not too much landed. Round heated up slightly at the end. Margarito's round based on slightly more activity & backing Clottey up.

Administrator
    vCash

Clotty won the first round. Don't listen to dig.

Administrator
    vCash

Round 2, Clottey continues where he left off late in the 1st as he started to beat Margarito to the punch & started to open up. Much of this round is emphasized by the fact Clottey is much faster & is easily getting inside and ripping Margarito with sharp combinations. Clottey round.

Administrator
    vCash

Round 3, Clottey countering everything Margarito has wiht ease...stunning him at points...the speed difference is apparent. Margarito scores a few good shots at the end but mostly everything he throws is blocked. Clottey round.

Administrator
    vCash

Round 4, the pace slows but the result is the same. Margarito tries to fight on the inside and is continually beaten to the punch and outworked. He is simply getting outboxed & with surprising ease. I have never seen Clottey's defense look so tight, he literally only gets hit when he allows it.

Administrator
    vCash

Round 5, Clottey is either hurt or fatigued but he took the entire round off. Margarito pressed forward as usual and took the round basically because Clottey did absolutely nothing. Much of what Margarito was blocked, Margarito's round nonetheless.

Administrator
    vCash

Round 6, apparently from what I'm hearing Clottey hurt his left. This would explain how he came out to start the 6th strong but went back to the guy he was in the 5th mostly. Clottey had a good first minute as he continued beating Margarito to the punch but he lets off the gas dropping the final 2 minutes & the round.

Administrator
    vCash

Round 7, more of the same. Margarito keeps pressing & Clottey cannot throw enough shots too keep him honest. The writing is on the wall, too bad for Clottey who started this fight most impressively. The round ends with a low blow to Clottey which he deserved...Margarito round.

Administrator
    vCash

Round 8, Clottey steps it up and begins to land as he did in the the early rounds. Margarito still comes forward as usual but Clottey lands the sharper shots, close round to Clottey but you have to wonder how long he can fight like this. A real shame whatever happened to Clottey...

Administrator
    vCash

Round 9, Clottey comes out strong but Margarito is ruthless. Clottey mounts a good lead for the first minute but Margarito batters him into a corner for the remaining minute of the round or so. Nothing too devastating landing but losing points by the second. Margarito round. Clottey will probably quit soon.

Administrator
    vCash

Round 10, Clottey fighting to survive. His corner egged him on to fight the last round. Not much to report, he is backpedaling, easliy beating Margarito to the punch when he throws but Margarito does not stop throwing. Margarito round.

Administrator
    vCash

The English-speaking interpreter just interpreted an English-speaking doctor.

Administrator
    vCash

Round 11, more of the same...Clottey fighting to survive, Margarito doesnt stop. Hard to imagine Margarito ever having a legit shot with PBF after seeing this. I don't know why Clottey is even fighting at this point, he never had a right hand & his left is apparently shot. Kudos for pressing onward. Margarito round by default once again...

Administrator
    vCash

Round 12, Clottey makes a bid to finish strong & does. Margarito apparently drained & Clottey rips him with combinations & stuns him at points. Margarito seems to have nothing left & is content to finish the fight. Very unfortunate night for Clottey. Clottey round. I don't even know my score at this point but I imagine I have Margarito winning.

Administrator
    vCash

Margarito wins by UD.
    Ho hum...& he wants PBF???....puhleez.

I'll tell you what, I'd LOVE to see a Clottey PBF fight. I think he as a tremendous shot and I think the fight would be amazing if he fixes whatever happened to his hand. PBF has hand problems regardless so bring it on!!!

Administrator
    vCash

Cotto Quintana, Round 1

Started out slow & then Cotto pressed the action & elicted a bit of a response. Both guys had their moments but I'd give Cotto the round on aggression as they both scored their shots...

Administrator
    vCash

Round 2, a more tactful round. Quintana countered nicely as Cotto pressed the action. Quintana tries to keep his distance but Cotto presses, each lands sharp shot...I may edge the round for Cotto but I could see it going either way...

Administrator
    vCash

Round 3, Quintana backing up as Cotto presses, Quintana countering nicely in spots but Cotto clearly landing the heavier shots. Quintana has a slight edge on speed but Cotto is unphased for the most part. Quintana goes real low at the end...Cottos round on aggression and better punching.

Administrator
    vCash

Round 4, the action continues...Quintana starts to show the effects of Cotto, a replica of the previous round. Cotto continually finds a way to get inside the longer reach of Quintana and scores, Quintana's defense is decent but he is having a problem with the pressure. I cannot see him backing up like this all night...

Administrator
    vCash

Round 5, Cotto presses the action...Quintana apparently spent...Cotto brutalizes him to the body...Quintana goes down to a horiffic body shot...he really shouldnt have gotten up but he does only to get dropped 20 seconds later & just when I thought the fight was over, he gets up to survive the round...not for much longer I'm sure.....

Administrator
    vCash

Quintana quits on his stool to the dismay of his corner, Cotto TKO.

vCash

It came down to heart and Cotto won like I said in the pre fight section.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    Cotto brutalizes him to the body...
    I think Cotto is a vastly underrated fighter in the division, not because of his style not anything else, except that quote right there.

There isn't a more devastating body puncher in the division, maybe not in boxing then Cotto. His body punching gives him a chance against anyone, it's somthing to behold IMO.

As for Margarito, if this is the guy PBF needs to be afraid of, well, I'd visit a doctor, because he would get destroyed. I've never been a big fan of his fighting anyway, just simply output seems to dominate most of his opposition, but PBF is way outta his league.

vCash

Cotto looked very destructive at 147!!! Let's not forget that Quintana's last fight was a very impressive win over highly rated, hard-punching Colombian Joel Julio.

I honestly expected Quintana to give Cotto the fight of his life, but it wasn't really even a contest as Cotto just beat the shit out of Quintana. Cotto looks to be a very, very strong welterweight and he's one fighter that actually might have a chance of beating Mayweather. His only weakness seems to be his chin, which certainly is not a great chin, but then again we should probably take into context the fights that he has been hurt in...the punches that hurt him were hard shots and Torres was/is a vicious puncher, but the important thing is that Cotto has been able to get back up and win impressively.

Due to his chin I don't think that he will ever scale as high as Gomez, Benetiz, Ortiz and Trinidad, but he is going to be fun to watch for ever how long he is in the game!!!

vCash

I've been a Cotto fan from the start and the backlash from the media hype being a wee bit premature is the only negative I associate with him. He's a solid fighter with real good power and he's a guy I go out of my way to watch.

Beat PBF? Maybe, maybe not but I'll bet the farm we never see that. Whether or not PBF retires after Oscar, Cotto isn't big enough mainstream to entice him...unless he unifies.

vCash

If Cotto were to face Margarito next that could possibly give him the exposure to get Mayweather in the ring with him. I think Cotto would beat Margarito pretty bad. I don't see Mayweather retiring for a few more years!

vCash

Margarito is the most feared man in boxing? Everyone is ducking Margarito? Floyd Mayweather is afraid of Margarito? What a farce. Did everyone notice how EASILY Clottey handled Margarito until he injured his hand. Floyd Mayweather is capable of doing everything Clottey was doing but Mayweather has superior speed, athleticism, technical proficiency, counterpunching ability and defense. Did anyone notice those wild uppercuts that Margarito kept throwing even though they kept missing? Mayweather would easily counterpunch this fighter every time he threw one of those wild punches. How people can honestly believe Mayweather is ducking this guy is incredible. I was as unimpressed with Margarito in this performance as I was in his performance against Kermit Cintron.
    Last edited by lu047w; 12-03-2006 at 04:30 AM.

vCash

Margarito looked crappy in that fight. His timing and distance were awfully off relative to previous fights. He's going to have to remain active and do more gym work to regain his best shape.

I was shocked at how Quintana crumbled precipitously in basically a matter of seconds. I had Cotto ahead by one point at the time of the stoppage, but he obviously hurt Quintana badly in round 5 with that shot to the back. It baffles me that the commentators kept on repeating that it was a "liver shot," when the replays showed clearly (and over and over), that the shot landed in the latissimus (lat) area.

vCash

>>>Mayweather would easily counterpunch this fighter every time he threw one of those wild punches. How people would believe Mayweather is ducking this guy is incredible.<<<

Anytime I have ever heard someone talking about how Margarito would beat Mayweather I just have to bring to light Margarito's bout with Daniel Santos. Margarito was so easily out-boxed by Santos that Mayweather would make it a complete mismatch. I can see now why Margarito has been staying away from the better boxers of the division and going mostly with straight-ahead types of fighters...boxers with solid skill give Margarito fits pretty much every time out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast