Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't Anybody here Want to Talk some NFL Football?

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Doesn't Anybody here Want to Talk some NFL Football?

I can't believe we're 3/4's through the season & there has been a deafening silence about football. I'm surprised because a lot of boxing fans are football fans also.

After all, they are both combat sports ...

I'll start it out: Biggest surprises so far this season? The Jets in the hunt for the playoff. The collapse of the Steelers, Giants & Panthers.

Who is your pick for the NFC? - Cowboys for me & I loath them!

AFC? I leaned toward the Colts all year but now I think the Chargers are going to take it. My only qualms is that they have a very inexperienced QB & Marty is their coach ...

GorDoom

vCash

Re: Doesn't Anybody here Want to Talk some NFL Football?

I think the biggest surprise is my beloved New Orleans Saints not only having the success they've had, but the fact they could be the number 2 seed in the friggin' NFC! Of course, with our history, you watch what ensues peeking behind your hands.

I think they beat Dallas this week. We have a much stronger overall team. The Cowboys have gotten over-rated these past few weeks.
    The Bears are a team that keep winning but I've never seen them look spectacular. Who wins the NFC . . . .hell by the way things are looking I think my Saints have as good a chance as anybody.

The Chargers have actually surprised me with their consistency, but I favor the Colts this year to finally take it to the Super Bowl. Manning is at his absolute peak as a quarterback.

The fall of the Panthers is my biggest shock in terms of a team's collapse.. Many had them as their NFC favorites going into the season.

vCash

There's a term for people who aren't surprised by the Giants' collapse: Giants' fans

The Cowboys' bandwagon is gonna roll for about another week, until the fairy dust rubs off Romo and he settles back down to earth. Don't forget that those NFC-best Cowboys needed all the help the Giants could give them to pull off a last-second victory.

I would say the Bears, but you know Rex Grossman is going to wake up and start playing like Rex Grossman soon.

It's all academic. Either the Colts or the Bolts could crush any NFC team. This year's AFC title game is going to be the real Super Bowl.

Bucket, looks like it's about time for you to switch your allegiance back to the Niners...

vCash

Speaking of Grossman...

Speaking of Rex Grossman, here he is with Fres Oquendo, David Diaz and myself at ringside. This shot was taken by friend and photographer, Tom Glunz at the Aragon Ballroom.

From left to right: Fres Oquendo, me, Rex Grossman and David Diaz
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 12-08-2006 at 03:59 PM.

vCash

I like the ritual of professional football as much as anyone. Yet, I prefer to watch major college football and NCAA basketball. I can more easily get into watching, say Purdue v. Penn State (two teams I have no rooting interest in) than a random matchup between two pro teams I could not care less about... like Seattle taking on St. Louis.

That said, I am a very passionate fan of the Jets, and also have always liked the Chiefs (cool helmets and unis).

The biggest surprise would be New Orleans, who not only have a good record, but have achieved it while actually being a solid team. Like the Jets, however, they are very poor against the run, which will kill them in the playoffs.

Roberto Aqui

I stopped watching football. I'm no fool though. Even I caught Vince Young last year and am pleased he's doing well for the Titans. He made a believer out of me.

vCash

After years of agonizing with the up-and-down San Diego Chargers, as I did with the old L.A. Rams when I was an Angeleno, I'm gun shy when it comes to even hoping that the border city team goes all the way.

They are better positioned this year than they have been since the glory days of Lance Alworth, Jefferson, and Dan Foutts---'way back when.

The switch in quarterback leadership seems to have done the trick for them at last, although Brees is doing right well for himself at New Orleans. This Rivers kid has the size and release to make a difference, methinks.

Just a thought.

hap navarro

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

The Chargers are probably the most balanced team in football. Rivers while essentially a rookie, has done remarkably well. Tomlinson is an all time beast, a Marshall Faulk with size.

Their defense is superb & Merriman is a man eater.

Marty is letting them play & not making them go through the slogging quagmire that used to be "Marty Ball".

All in all they look like the best bet. & I'm sadly ... a Raider. So praising the Bolts doesn't come easy.

The only other team in the AFC that looks dangerous is the Bengals. I know the Ravens are the new flavor of the week but just a couple-three weeks ago the Bengals exposed & dismantled them.

The NFC is a total crapshoot. I'm rooting for the Saints. A Saints/Chargers Superbowl wouldn't be a bad one. & Bree's would certainly give the media a storyline.

GorDoom

vCash

Good thinking, Gordoom.

What scares me a bit is that the ills that plagued my wonderful U.S.C team this year may be waiting on the sidelines to revisit the front running Chargers.

Having grown up in the shadow of S.C. where my kid brother Mike competed on the gymnastics team, there have only been two college teams that ever struck my fancy----Notre Dame and U.S.C.

But just as I thought some three years ago, when Ohio State was in the title game, (and it was a definsive bore) I still believe that the Trojans could beat any contemporary team now. I have a feeling that the real national champ will be the winner of the Rose Bowl game on Jan. 1, ( unless the Trojans shoot themselves in the foot again ) Ohio State was not really a conclusive winner over Michigan----or am I being parochially influenced, Steve?

You mentioned Faulk, a favorite of mine while he was at San Diego State---that young man was somehow done out of the Heisman his senior year, and frankly I still think Anthony Davis, of USC was also by-passed unfairly in favor of lad who had already wrapped up one Heisman the previous year.

Then of course, I believed in Santa Claus 'way beyond my infantile years!

your friend

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Hap:

Faulk has turned into an excellent broadcaster. He's on the NFL Channel so unfortunately most can't see him. This is a guy that REALLY knows football. I remember Dick Vermeil saying that Marshall not only knew every nuance of his position - but knew EXACTLY what everybody else was supposed to do.

He was literally a coach on the field, not to mention one of if not the best all-time all purpose backs & a lock for first ballot induction into the HOF. Marshall was so football savvy that even though he attended none of their meetings he would take the QB's written test every week & pass it with flying colors!

For a superstar on the level of Marshal it is very rare for them to get that involved with the gameplan. It's understandable because to be a superstar in any sport, entertainment or political field you have to be VERY self involved.

Marshal Faulk was a rare exception.

Now on to tonight's game: This is a very important game for both the 'Boys & the Falcons. At the same time both teams are in disarray. The Cowboys from the beatdown they suffered at the hands of the Saints lastt week & the apparent discombobulation of the annointed one, Tony Romo.

The falcons while they definitely have their problems between the lines have a major disruption going on because of coach Mora's unfortunate staments about leaving the Falcons for a job at Washington State.

So if nothing else between Mora, Vick, Romo, TO, Parcells, Jerry Jones & the importance of the game because of its playoff considerations - this game won't lack for dramatic storylines!

It will be jucier than an old episode of "Dallas" in it's prime. I mean is Jerry Jones the living embodiment of J.R. Ewing or what?

GorDoom

vCash

A Faulk with a fullback extraordinaire blockign for him. And no I am not stating Tomlinson is anythign less than an all-timer.

I believe LJ with a fullback blocker like Neal would accomplish at least as many TD's, and more yards however.

As an aside, isn't it funny how when Marty's teams lose it is Marty ball, but when they win doing the same thing it is not Marty ball?

An isn't Martyball essentially what Chin in Pittycity coopted as his own "get the lead, wear ya down we don't make mistakes'?

Marty to me has always gotten a raw deal.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Agreed. He's undoubtably a great coach & will probably wind up in the HOF. If he wins the soup bowl this year he's a lock. At the same time it's hard to think of a coach with worse playoff mojo than Marty.

He has finally let the offensive coordinator completely take over the play calling. The Chargers have opened up their offense in a way no team of Marty's has before.

Let's face it, Marty is the very definition of "Old School" both personally & his former offensive gameplan. You have to give him credit for adapting. Most coaches wouldn't.

As to the comparison to Cower it works only up to a certain point. Cower's first job was as an assistant to Marty so naturally he was very influenced by him.

BUT ... The Chin is more progrresive. Think of Kordell Stewart in his hey day as "Slash". Or Antwon Randall El or even Hines Ward. Cower has always used a lot of quirky gadget plays & used players in unexpected & imaginative ways.

That ain't Marty Ball.

GorDoom

vCash

On Parcells.......

On the sidellines----Why does the man always look like he's lost his best friend? Can he be a real taskmaster expecting heroes at the end of every play?

And as per usual, King Football always finds a way to offer a "scripted" theme sometime during the season. What with the Tony Romo Story and now the promising Jay Cutler scenario. Football is a great stage for underdogs turning to heroes.

For example:

Years ago, an L.A. Ram star game down to Imperial Valley to speak at our Lions Club meeting. His name was Gene Brito and we hit it off great during and after the meeting. He was a perfect specimen in every physical way, tall, well-stacked and handsome as hell. He was a hit, to say the least as a guest speaker for the brewing company he was repping.

Some time later, we got the news that Gene Brito was seriously ill with some undiagnosed malady that was causing his great body to waste away to a shadow of what it had been.

Sorta like the Brian Piccolo tragedy.

vCash

Tomlinson is having just an extraordinary season and with three regular season games left he has a pretty good chance of reaching 30+ rushing TDs...and to think...Shaun Alexander had a record-breaking season last year and here is LT out-doing him.

Drew Brees has been a pleasant surprise for the Saints...I suspected that he would have a typical Brees year after the shoulder injury, but he could actually break Marino's all-time single-season record of 5084. The last three games are against Washington, NY Giants and Carolina. Brees threw for 349 yards in the first game against Carolina this season and last week the Giants allowed a back-up QB for Carolina to serve up 423 yards in the air, so with those two teams Brees has a very good chance of having around 700 yards in the air between those two and then it would come down to what Brees can do against the Redskins this coming Sunday. The Redskins have not been too charitable over the last few games holding QBs under 200 yrds passing, so maybe Brees can have yet another 350+ yd game which, if it turns out very favorable for Brees, he will end up with 5083…lacking one yard for the tie with Marino. But with the way that Brees has been airing out the ball this year he has a real chance at this record…he has thrown 300+ yards in 8 games, including 300+ in the last 7 of 8 games that the Saints have played, including a tremendous 510 yrd performance…though if I was a betting man I would bet that Brees misses 5000 by around 150 yds.

We have had a few running backs and receivers break the 10,000 yard club…Kicker, Jason Elam is quickly approaching his 13th straight season with 100+ points…an all-time record and the most accurate kicker in history was cut from the Cowboys in favor of Martin Gramatica who did even play last year. Peyton Manning is having yet another tremendous year and on defense Shawn Merriman is leading the league in sacks.

Overall, it’s been a pretty exciting season with records being broke and stats improving with each game…the playoffs should be quite interesting as there honestly is not one team that is a guarantee to make it to the Bowl game, but as it is now…my pick for the Super Bowl, barring any major player getting injured beforehand, is going to be San Diego Chargers --vs-- Chicago Bears with the Chargers winning the big one 35-21.

vCash

This season has been a total head scratcher for me, every NFL team has been wildly inconsistent, except maybe the Bolts. And the media has been ridiculous with thier "what have you done for me lately" crap. For a month, Sexy Rexy was the 2nd coming of Unitas and then he became the reincarnation of Ryan Leaf overnight. (Reminds me of the Cinderella Steelers from a year ago. Since when does Cinderella go 15-1 the year before winning the Super Bowl ?)

Like Sharks, I've always liked the NCAA better and by the moniker I use, I guess it's obvious that I'm a huge Oklahoma Sooners backer ( I literally gagged typing that). The big games in college are always bigger and quite often better than the big games in the NFL and while I'm not too sure about the "title" game of OSU-Florida, damn if there aren't some great bowl match-ups.

The Bears, I feel, will continue to find a way to win and the Chargers just got a whole lot better with the return of Castillo and the game-changing Merriman but like someone else mentioned, there is an underachieving team gliding right below the radar in Cincinnati.

Just to be different, I'll take Carson being able to do what Ken Anderson and Boomer couldn't: Bengals 41-20 over the Bears in the Bowl.

vCash

I like the looks of Chicago.

vCash

RIP Giants. Pathetic.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

BY TOM ROCK
    Newsday Staff Writer

Published December 19 2006

The Jets handed out a few extra game balls after Sunday's win at Minnesota.

Aaron "The Hawk" Pryor, a former world champion junior welterweight boxer, delivered a message to the Jets via video before the game. Pryor, a member of the International Boxing Hall of Fame, was known for his calls of "What time is it? It's Hawk time!" during his bouts. For his new favorite football team, he pronounced it "Jets time!"

"He was an impressive fighter," coach Eric Mangini said. "He was relentless, tireless." Mangini said Pryor would get up from a knockdown smiling, turning the momentum of a fight.

Frankie Pryor, the boxer's wife, found out Mangini had shown one of his fights prior to an earlier game and contacted the Jets, facilitating the taped message. It followed tape of his 1980 title defense against Gaetan Hart.

Asked whether Pryor, who is from Ohio, is a Jets fan, Mangini said he never thought to check.

"We didn't discuss his allegiance," he said. "I'm sure somewhere deep in his heart he is. Isn't everybody?"

To serve and protect

The Jets' passing game would not have been as successful against the Vikings had it not been for the pass protection, which was adjusted after the poor start.

"We had the hiccup there at the beginning," Mangini said. "I think they gave Chad some excellent time to throw. When you drop back to pass quite a few times, there's a lot of opportunities for breakdowns. I thought overall, they did well."

Jet streams

Mangini said he wasn't sure if WR Laveranues Coles had injured his back or his ribs when he was sandwiched between two Vikings linebackers blocking on a fourth-quarter interception. "Laveranues, he's so tough, it doesn't matter what gets hit," Mangini said. "He pops up, moves on." Mangini said he anticipates Coles playing Monday against the Dolphins ... Mangini said it was C Nick Mangold's hip that was injured on the second play, even though the rookie didn't miss any snaps. "He's a Laveranues in training," Mangini said.

Banned
    vCash

A while back

Gor threw out the idea about having an NFL section on this site in the Non Boxing area.

I was then and am still now, all for it!

And in not knowing where to post THIS topic, I thought I'd add on this this thread that was started a few years back.

Colts 35-Patriots 34.

I turned off the game when the score was 24-7.

Pretty bummed out as I despise Belicheck and the Patriots for reasons I've already discussed a hundred times previously.

As Bad as My Rams are playing now, only seeing San Fran and the Patriots LOSE, gives me much joy.

I would have enjoyed seeing last nights melt down by Belicheck and the Patriots.

For those who didn't hear, Bill had the Patriots go for it on 4th and 2 from their own 28 yard line leading the game 34-28 with 2:08 left to play.

NE did not make the first down and the Colts got the ball back. A few plays later, Manning throws the game winning touch down to Reggie Wayne and Indy wins 35-34 after trailing by as many as 17 in the 4th quarter.

The Second guessing of Belichecks call has been all over the map this morning, but everyone has pulled up just short of calling him an Idiot.

Which is EXACTLY what Sports writers did 14 years ago, when Barry Switzer was coaching the Dallas Cowboys when they lost similarly to the Philadelphia Eagles.

In THAT game, the score was tied 17-17, the Cowboys were on their OWN 29 Yard line, and it was 4th and one foot (actually is was 4th and about 4 inches). With Emmitt Smith as the Boys running back.

Dallas did not make it and Philly ended up kicking the game winning Field goal and won 20-17.

Dallas's defense was very tired and beaten up. Punting, would have been into a pretty decent wind that was swirling in Philly that day. And they only had a few inches to go.

It did not work out and Switzer was labled Bozo the Clown. And Idiot. A Moron. He Sunk his team on that one call and the Cowboys would be Doomed for the season. ANd it was Barry's fault.

Well as we all know, Dallas DID rebound from that loss and they went on to win the SuperBowl agianst the Steelers.

But Barry NEVER shook the tag that was placed on him. Didn't help that his QB despised him either.

The Comparison is virtually a mirror image here. But to be AS harsh to Belicheck and the Patriots is apparently out of bounds.

Make no doubt about it. What Belicheck did, was AS bad as what Barry did. Worse if you consider that the Patriots had two yards to go, as opposed to roughly half a foot.

Switzer should never be considered as good a Pro Head Football coach as Belicheck was/is (I limit this to Pro's as Barry established himself as an Excellent College Head coach and three National championships will show that. And he DID win a Superbowl, and had an excellent coaching record. So he was far from a BOZO.). But on this play, Bill should be held to the EXACT same standards as Switzer was 15 years ago.

Wish the Peter Kings of the football world had the balls to do as much.

But alas..........

Hawk

vCash

Hail to the Skins. They played like Men for a change.

Just in time for Dallas.

If we beat Dallas I will consider this year a great season, rehire Zorn, blah, blah.

But if we lose to Dallas....

Banned
    vCash

I reserve the right

to call for a 24 hour Patriot/Belicheck bashing session to dominate all Football talk.

I won't even comment on my Rams valiant effort agaisnt the Saints.

.....oops.

Hawk

vCash

I love Belicheck. It takes you know what to go for it like he did. They make the first down, he is the genious that he is. It did not work and he is mud.

I he plays to win. I'm fine with his gamble. That was a man's call.

Banned
    vCash

Now going back

14 years ago, that was not the sentiment for what Switzer did and he was UNANIMOUSLY Panned, critcized, cajoled, made fun of, disparaged, etc. etc. etc.

What happened last night was virtually the EXACT same thing. So either Belicheck is a Moron as was Barry, or Barry Coached like "a Man" as Belicheck did.

There is NO way to seperate these two calls between what Switzer did and what Belicheck did.

Hawk

vCash

Re: Now going back

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    14 years ago, that was not the sentiment for what Switzer did and he was UNANIMOUSLY Panned, critcized, cajoled, made fun of, disparaged, etc. etc. etc.

What happened last night was virtually the EXACT same thing. So either Belicheck is a Moron as was Barry, or Barry Coached like "a Man" as Belicheck did.

There is NO way to seperate these two calls between what Switzer did and what Belicheck did.

Hawk

Belicheck is usually brilliant. Even in the misunderstood risks.

I remeber a game where he had his punt snap the ball out of the endzone for a safety. There was a real chance a blocked kick for a touchdown.

He gave the opposing team two points plus the ball. Yet his defense stopped them, got the ball back and won the game.

The difference is that Switzer never coached in his life like Belicheck. They are not even in the same world. If Belicheck had that Cowboy team he would have coached them to undefeated seasons.

Banned
    vCash

For the two

comparable plays in discussion here, there is NO DIFFERENCE.

No one here is suggesting that Switzer was a better or even an equal PRO coach to Belicheck.

I Clearly have not done so.

The analogy is CERTAINLY appropriate and if Switzer is excoriated by the media and labled a buffoon for that call and an even BIGGER buffoon for defending what he did, then Belicheck should be held to the same fire storm.

Please don't lose site of what I am making comparison with by pointing out the obvious that BB is the superior pro coach.

THAT, is not being questioned here.

Hawk
    Last edited by hawk5ins; 11-16-2009 at 02:11 PM.

vCash

Hawk, all I'm saying is the difference is the quality of coaches, not the call.

Belicheck gets the benefit of the doubt, where Switzer does not and should not.

Banned
    vCash

But AGAIN

I'm NOT comparing the quality of the coaches at the Pro Level (let's not forget that "Bumbling Barry" did manage to coach Oklahoma to THREE National titles and when he was finished coaching at the collegiate level, he finished with the highest winning percentage among ALL College coaches. ANd Barry and the Cowboys DID win the Super Bowl later that year btw.).

I'm comparing EXACTLY similar plays.

Barry Had THE best Running back in the League at the Time (Sanders or Smith), running behind THE Best Offensive Line in the League and they had to get 6 inches on 4th down from thier own 29, with the game tied at 17 all, with 2 mins to play.

Belicheck had to get two FULL yards on 4th down, from his own 28 yard line, with a 6 point lead, with just a little over 2 Mins to play. He used a passing play to Kevin Faulk and ended up short.

IF Barry is a Moron for going for it, then CERTAINLY Belicheck is as well.

I completely understand the MEDIA is not going to call a spade a spade. But it does not make it right.

Hawk

vCash

That team was Johnsons. With everything lined up. Switzer was given a Bowl.
    Belicheck should have four Bowls with a undefeated season included.

You want Belicheck to be call something his is not. He is a great coach and that is the end of it all.

He made a call, it was the wrong call. Switzer made a call, it was the wrong call. I like both calls. I would have done the same thing if I was Switzer. I would have punted if I where Belicheck. Belicheck went for it. Fine.

The real problem is the game slipping away in the first point. Something happened and Belicheck knew that the only way to win was to keep the ball no matter what. He did and the rest is in the books.

Latter.

Banned
    vCash

There are no

SHOULD HAVE's in Sports.

THere are only ARE's.

Belicheck should not be Afforded any more wins than the team has accumulated. And No More Super Bowls either.

Switzer, DID take over for Johnson. But the beef was between Johnson and Jones. Switzer was asked to come in and Continue what had preceded him. As a result, he took the Cowboys back the NFC title game in his first year and won the Super Bowl in his second. Not too Shabby if you ask me.

And there were multiple Key personnell changes between the team that Johnson won back to back SuperBowls with and what Switzer won with.

Add in a Deion Sanders. Take away a Ken Norton.

And before players such as this get minimized, let's understand that ADDING Deion Sanders made a world of difference to the 49ers in 1994 when they won the SB. And losing him and Dallas gaining him, made a difference as well.

And Jimmy's 'players'....well let's remember, Jimmy wanted Steve Walsh and Not Troy Aikman. And he was Forced to take Emmitt Smith as well.

5 time Super Bowl champ, Charles Haley has openly stated that the Team would have had difficulties winning another title with Jimmy becuase of Johnson's personality with the players.

That Several players were beginning to tune out Johnson towards the end of the 93 season and that 94' may have seen a breaking point.

Now Haley was one of a few who openly spoke of this and certainly not all players agreed with Haley's view on this. Certainly not Aikman who ended up becoming close with Johnson, despite Jimmy not wanting Troy initially.

Switzer, was what was considered a PLAYERS coach. Many of the players said that that was needed after 5 years of Johnson and his style.

If you add in the injuries that the Cowboys suffered in 94' and the additions that San Fran made and some of the losses that Dallas had, I don't think there are any assurances that Johnson does any better with the Boys in 94 than Barry did, losing in the NFC title game to the eventual Champs, the Niners, following a HORRIFIC first quarter by Aikman that led to spotting the Niners a 21-0 Lead. Aikman threw 3 first half Picks, two in the first quarter, the first of which was returned for a TD. I have No idea how Johnson prevents INT's and Injuries (the most significant being Emmitt Smith running on Bone Spurs for most of the season.).

But agian, this is all losing site of the comparison.

A Call made by Switzer to go for it on 4 and less than a foot was fodder for those who loved to ridicult the future Hall of Fame College coach. The Exact same call made by Belicheck needs to face the EXACT same scrutiny here.

THE PLAY made under IDENTICAL circumstances, is the issue here. Not the pedigree of the coach making the same call.

Hawk

vCash

Two Super Dowl coaching making a tough call.
    That is what it takes to win. A coach stepping up and taking the blame if there is some to go around.

the patriots "D" should be skinned.

BTW. I will take Johnson who had player he did not like and did not like him and put superbowls ups. Great coach.

Aikman was 1-15 his first year. 3-13 his next year.

Johnson coached him up. Emmit took away a ton of pressure and Irvin made him look good, but Johnson was the mastermind. He built that team. When Deion got there they were already the bosses. He added but he was not the reason. Same as SF to a lesser degree. The Niner were stacked. Deion added and made it easy. Much like Rodman to the Bulls.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast