Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't Anybody here Want to Talk some NFL Football?

vCash

Re: Doesn't Anybody here Want to Talk some NFL Football?

Yeah that was weird.

What a screwy game and effort there..

Banned
    vCash

I think I said

"are you kidding me?" at least 20 times last night.

BTW, that bomb to Fitzgerald that was ruled an incomplete pass.......Bad call IMO and a complete game changer.

VERY dissapointing.

Hawk

vCash

Agreed.

Wizzy, I would say, is a good coach.. and there is a ton of talent on that roster. It is disappointing to wach their inconsistant play of a Jekkyl and Hyde nature. Kind of like Eagles-Lite.

Banned
    vCash

Or

from a coaching stand point: John Fox lite.

Hawk

vCash

Re: I think I said

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    "are you kidding me?" at least 20 times last night.

BTW, that bomb to Fitzgerald that was ruled an incomplete pass.......Bad call IMO and a complete game changer.

VERY dissapointing.

Hawk

COMPLETELY AGREE. That was obviously a completed pass!!! He had posession, took two steps, went to the ground with a defender on top of him, which defender then stripped the ball while they were on the ground. How the hell is that not a completed pass?

Banned
    vCash

Purposefully Misleading Presentation of a "stat"

So I am watching the Cowboys beat the then Undedeated Saints Thursday Night and following the game either on ESPN or on the NFL Network (honestly can't remember which show I was watching at the time) a Stat was thrown out to the fans that was INTENDED obviously, to twist what it actually meant either on Purpose, or through ignorance.

It was said following the Dallas win, that this was Only the SECOND time in the ENTIRE History of the Cowboys franchise, that they had beaten a Team that had a record of 10-0 or better.

Simply put: In the Cowboys history, they have ONLY beaten a team, with a record of 10-0........twice.

The way it was presented, the listener was supposed to be "SHOCKED" that the Cowboys were only able to do this on one other occasion in their ENTIRE History as a franchise which began in 1960.

So in 49 seasons, the Cowboys have Only beaten a team with a record of 10-0....Twice. Again, just trying to clarify what this announcer was presenting to his listening audience.

Immediately, I was perplexed at this stat that was intended to be a "slap" at the organization. IE: "How come they couldn't pull this off more often?"

Well, a few days later I went and actually looked into this.

A couple of Questions:

"How many teams did the Cowboys ever face, that actually HAD a record of 10-0 or better?"

ANd more importantly:

"How many teams actually went 10-0 since 1960, the Year the Cowboys became an expansion team?"

Well, here is what I found out.

From 1960-2009 (current), there have been 15 teams who went 10-0 or better:

1962 - Green Bay Packers: 10-0
    1967 - Balimore Colts: 10-0-2
    1972 - Miami Dolphins: 14-0
    1998 - Denver Broncos: 13-0
    2005 - Indianapolis Colts: 13-0
    1985 - Chicago Bears: 12-0
    1984 - Miami Dolphins: 11-0
    1991 - Washington Redskins: 11-0
    1975 - Minnesota Vikings: 10-0
    1990 - New York Giants: 10-0
    1990 - San Francisco: 10-0
    2007 New England Patriots: 16-0
    2008 Tennesee Titans: 10-0
    2009 - New Orleans Saints 13-0
    2009 Indianapolis Colts- 14-0 Current

Of those 15 teams, that have gone 10-0 or better, the Cowboys actually faced 4 of them (in bold). They went 2-2 in those 4 meetings.

Losing to the then 10-0-2 Baltimore Colts in 1967 in week 13, 23-17.

Losing to the then 10-0 Chicago Bears in 1985 in Week 11, 44-0.

Beating the 11-0 Washington Redskins in 1991 in Week 12, 24-21.

and Beating the 13-0 Saints this past Thursday in week 15, 24-17.

So in 49 years, since the Cowboys have been in existence, there have been 15 teams that have achieved a record of 10-0 or better. Of those 15 teams, the Cowboys faced 4 of them and went 2-2.

Not exactly a Cowboy fan here, but exactly HOW is this "stat", showing something that should be "startling", in a NEGATIVE way, about the Cowboys?

I figure that some stat-boy threw this to the announcers, and without actually taking the time to qualify or contextualize it, they threw out the: "Can you beleive this is ONLY the 2nd time in the Team's history that they ACTUALLY beat a team that was 10-0 or better?"

Kind of silly if you begin to think about it. Especially when you look exactly how many times teams going 10-0, has actually happened since 1960.

Dunno. Maybe this only interested me.

Hawk

vCash

Is anyone here surprised by the crap spewing forth from Brett Favre's pie hole recently? Dear God, I want to see Minnesota go down in flames this year.

It'll be worth it just to have these sycophantic tv announcers shut up about the guy. You'd figure that he walks on water the way they go on.
    Last edited by GanchoIzquierdo; 12-21-2009 at 06:04 PM.

vCash

Interesting stuff Hawk.

Banned
    vCash

I find it amazing

That any other athlete could act in such a selfish manner as he has and get the pass that he has been given and too Ganch's point, and then BLOWN by the media to boot.

Nauseating to say the least.

I understand that when you've established yourself as being one of the greats, you are granted a few liberties. But I think he's used them up over a year ago from my standpoint.

I might crack a laugh or two out loud if the reason Minny doesn't proceed that far into the playoffs (and I predict they will be one and done personally), falls SQUARELY on Favre's shoulders.

I'd laugh/cough up a lung if it came at the hands of Green Bay.

But that's just me. I'm twisted that way.

Hawk

vCash

The real issue with Favre is whether he can be a conservative cautious playoff QB who occasionally hits a big play, or whether he'll lose it and go wild and get intercepted several times and literally cause his team to lose. The latter is why I personally have never considered him a GREAT QB, despite all the hoopla. I would much rather have a guy who doesn't lose you the game, even if he can't per se win it for you, than a guy who can win it or lose it for you depending on the type of day he's having, particularly in the playoffs. Defense, run game, short passes, with the very occasional long ball, is what wins it in the playoffs, more often than not. Out of control gunslingers rarely excel in the playoffs.

vCash

I agree with both you guys. Let's see what else this soap opera has in store for us.

Anyway, I know this sounds horrible, but I'm honestly wishing the guy a whole hell of a lot of failure.

vCash

Favre has been the league's "Prima Donna" since his last couple of seasons at
    Green Bay, leaving the coaching staff and fans hanging in the breeze waiting to hear if he would play, local tv stations would lampoon his indecisiveness with "Favre watches" well before his "TV" commercial.
    That being said the guy just wants to play Football, (even at his teammates expense)....
    Also, it will be VERY difficult to break his Ironman stat, (Manning is closest, but has a long way to go), and his interception stat......

Banned
    vCash

Anyone want to pick the WIldcards?

Think it's going to be one helluva scramble in both divisions.

The Giants win last night makes it essentially between Dallas, Green Bay and NY.

Scheds:

NY- Home with Carolina and @ Minnesota

GB- Home with Seattle and @ AZ

Dallas- @ Wash and Home with Philly.

I think Dallas could drop both games. I really think they get upset by Wash and then the floor drops out and they freefall and lose agianst Philly.

NY probably will split, beating a Now Hot Carolina but then losing to the possibly fading Vikes. I know that sounds backwards, but I suspect it plays out this way.

GB, I think Sweeps it's last two games.

So given that I say it's GB and NY and Dallas gets left out, fires Phillips and then score big by getting Shanahan. Cowboy fans will be bummed with another Dec fade, but they NEED this fade. ANY success in Dec and Jones will somehow keep Phillips. Big picture Dallas. Like your Jumbo tron.

NO way am I breaking down scenarios for the AFC.

Two 8-6 teams holding the inside track on the WIldcard in Baltimore and Denver, but then there are SIX teams sitting at 7-7: Jax, Ten, Hous, Pitt, Miami and NY.

I THINK Balitmore secures their spot, but I think the last one is up for grabs (although if Pitt somehow beats the Ravens this weekend, EVERYTHING changes in this "thought").

I can't see TWO sure wins for any team among the 8 teams bidding for a playoffs. So I am going to bail and say it stays with Baltimore and Denver.

This is going to be a blast these last two weeks of the season, with so many teams playing for something, and add to it, Indy playing for an undefeated season and my Rams jockying for the worst record in the NFL.

The Suh bowl if you will.

Who said this season isn't all that and a bag of chips?

Hawk
    Last edited by hawk5ins; 12-22-2009 at 09:23 AM.

vCash

The Skins layed down.

Banned
    vCash

Sure they did.

But AFTER they get the shot kicked out of them.

Still think they upset Dallas next week.

Hawk

vCash

I thought we had work for the Giants this week. The own us.

The Cowboys are a different story, we alway play them hard, just like we play the Eagles hard.

We are hurt by this loss. We need to beat the 'Boys to feel better.

I am not sure we have anything left to give to the this year.

Zorn is the man for not giving up in the face of disaster.

20-17 Skins next week.

Banned
    vCash

You get spanked out of the gates

agianst Dallas, Like you did agianst the Gints, and you will be seeing the same quit.

That said, I do think you upset the Cowboys and delude Zorn for another week into thinking he still has a job.

Hawk

vCash

I think the Cowboys are going to finish the season strong and take care of Washington. They have always started well and petered out at the end. I have a feeling this might be their year to struggle early/in the middle but put it together at the end.

Banned
    vCash

Dallas

Is just WAAAY too Inconsistant for me to see them turning things north on a projected basis.

The team that managed to only put up a single TD a few Weeks back agianst the same Skins, I see resurfacing, after dropping two to NY and SD and then Surprising NO.

I see something similar to what happened to AZ a couple weeks back when they looked fabulous agianst the Vikes and then laid an egg vs SF and struggled with Detroit.

Dallas, in spite of the now released Nick Folk looked fantastic agianst the Saints after looking only moderate, specifically on defense after two consecutive losses.

To ask Dallas to put together a string of 2 or 3 games in a row in which both the defense and offense shows up, I think is asking way too much.

Mentally they were UP for New Orleans. The Skins are a division rival, but they just got humiliated last night.

Getting up for the Skins now? With that master motivator in Wade Phillips?

Maybe Bum's son will try and find another Tony Dungy clipping.

I see something hard boiled being laid this coming weekend.

Hawk

vCash

Has there been a more bizarre team this year than the Raiders? Got shut-out by the Jets, lost to the Chiefs, Redskins, and Texans . . but beat the Eagles, Steelers, Bengals and now the Broncos, and all the while having zero stability at quarterback. Just wierd.

Banned
    vCash

I'll second that

Their whole season simply makes NO SENSE.

Hawk

vCash

Indy boy here; unless you have a fav team still in the hunt which I would totally respect, how can anyone not be behind the Colts running the table this year? If they ultimately blow it this year, they're the Atlanta Braves of this millenium's 1st decade and, given what they've accomplished these last few years, a second SB would be a real testament to their success and class.
    No trash talk, two fine, ethical coaches who have instilled class in an era of egomaniacal personalities. Sanders/Jackson out for the year, Gonzales might not be back; drafted at the bottom each year for years and still field solid teams every time. Solid football minds, solid, skilled organization. I know there are a few Manning haters out there but the guy is, simply, a class act. He's given millions of dollars to a children's hospital here in Indy. Is there another marquee team out there that has no player that you can despise?
    What's not to like?
    Keep that pedal to the metal boys!!!

vCash

I'm officially on board the Chargers bandwagon now. And, as a lifelong Cowboys fan, I wouldn't mind seeing Norv Turner win it all this year--that is, if Dallas itself isn't in the picture by the end. He was a hell of an offensive coordinator for us, and he seems like a nice enough guy.

Banned
    vCash

It's funny how perceptions change from week to week

Following two close but impressive victories for SD over the Cowboys and Bengals, I was convinced they were the real deal and a threat in the playoffs, but after this demolition agianst Tenesee, I seriously think Indy is in big trouble agian in the playoffs.

Granted, this type of feeling can go away in a heartbeat. See Az Cards.

Hawk

vCash

Re: It's funny how perceptions change from week to week

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    Following two close but impressive victories for SD over the Cowboys and Bengals, I was convinced they were the real deal and a threat in the playoffs, but after this demolition agianst Tenesee, I seriously think Indy is in big trouble agian in the playoffs.

Granted, this type of feeling can go away in a heartbeat. See Az Cards.

Hawk
    Considering the Titans literally shot themselves in the face about 20 times during that game, I wasn't as impressed as some. The Chargers like the Cards have the offensive tools to beat anybody but their defense has gotten some breaks and I think in the playoffs those breaks will stop.

Banned
    vCash

Given

That I am Pulling for Indy to go 19-0...I hope you are right.

Indy beating SD in the palyoffs would exercise some demons.

Hawk

vCash

I've picked the Chargers to win the AFC for the past four years and Hags, you nailed the issue. There is talent on that defense, but the not enough to justify the crazed gambling the secondary does. And with Merriweather playing on fumes, they simply aren't generating a pass rush while the front four invaraibly wears down late and can't stop the run consistently anyway.

That said, they are in the Colt's head. The AFC has no one I would feel comfortable saying "Hey, they can go to San Diego and win." Believing that Indy wins in the divisionals also, it's hard to imagine that the AFC Championship game is not Chargers at Colts. If that happens, let me be on record now: Don't fret Peyton, there's always next year.

If there is a team to throw a wrench in all of this, I have a feeling it would be the Ravens- they are built to be successful in the playoffs where everything speeds up, but gets conservative. Of course, there's no guarantee they even get to the postseason. New England and Cincinnati aren't even on my radar and the other possibilities don't even warrant mention in my book.

You are now safe to place a huge bet on Mark Sanchez or Kyle Orton being named Super Bowl MVP, LOL.

vCash

Hey, Husk. Tough break against Texas. Nothing against the Longhorns, but I was rooting for TCU to play for the championship and Nebraska pulling off the upset was the only way that was going to happen.

Anyway, as far as Indy is concerned, I'm now puzzled as to when exactly I went from resenting Manning--what with all those annoying commercials he'd appear in--to actually, genuinely liking the guy. I wouldn't be too upset if the Colts won again this year, either.

vCash

It pained me to do it, but I was rooting for Texas going into the game for the betterment of the sport. That went away as the game started because I simply bleed Husker red. However, I was happy with the result because 1) Nebraska played well defensively, which is all I ever really want and 2) no offense, but it shuts out pretenders (imo) like TCU and Boise.

I can't stand the thought of someone who plays their..ahem..schedule playing for the honor of best team in the country. I'm still agitated by BYU's joke of a title in 1984 and I hate Oklahoma as much for the Boise St debacle a few years back as what they did to my Huskers in the 70's.

If programs like TCU, Boise St, Utah and all those other gimmicky second-tier "powerhouses" want respect, they need to schedule honest opponents for non-conference. The fact that they get turned down and then whine when school's refuse simply shows a lack of strong desire to close the deal. If they really wanted, it could be arranged for a trip somewhere outside of the mountain region, but they don't, content on running the table against schools that couldn't win a Class 5A highschool playoff game.

Then they play some bitterly disappointed team in a bowl game (a team who's whole season was spent planning for a USC or Florida on the opposie sideline) and squeak by, giving them artificial weight to their "argument"

I'm sorry Gancho, none of my soapbox ranting is directed towards you, one of my faves since the old BT days, just spouting off in general.

vCash

Hey, Husk. I think college football's whole freakin system is a complete farce. I singled out TCU simply because I follow them more closely than Boise, but had either one of these teams actually gotten a chance at the championship against a BCS team and then won it all, it would've added to the growing chorus for a proper playoff system.

I'll be honest, however. I love watching college ball. Heck, I'll even watch the most obscure bowl and make a whole afternoon out of it (It's sad, I know, but let's not even get into that now.).

Still, until we see a legitimate way of determining who plays in the big game, I won't be truly satisfied.

At any rate, I don't know how much my postitive vibes helped, but the Huskers put up a hell of a fight, didn't they?

Hope all is well with you and yours this holiday season.

Gancho

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast