Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Absolutely MOST Unsung Great?

vCash

Re: Absolutely MOST Unsung Great?

I guess it depends on how you define "great" and how you define "forgotten."

Wills gets mentioned, but other than is association with Dempsey; his record is mostly forgotten.

So is George Godfrey. Both of them, in fact.

So are most of the great light heavies of bygone times. Names like Dillon, Delaney, Loughran, and Rosenbloom don't come up real often.

Who outside of the CBZ knows how great BOTH the Gibbons brothers were?

Mention "The Harlem Thunderbolt" and most people look blank. Old time boxing guys shake their heads and say, "Ah, hell, what coulda been..."

Who mentions Eddie Booker?

Jack Blackburn is remembered as Joe Louis' trainer. Sure, he deserves credit for that. But man, from what I read, he must of been a great fighter too!

People remember Ezzard Charles as a heavyweight. But it's weird. Some seem to forget how great he was as a light heavy.

As great as he was, Archie Moore is remembered... but is he remembered as one of the greatest P4P ever? He is in my book. Well, except when he fights Burley.

Hell, even guys as recent as Duilio Loi seem to pass from a lot of people's memories. The Galaxy brothers, too. Of course, the little guys just aren't remembered in general.

And non-champions? Blazes. Uzcudan? Stribling? Young Griffo? Abrams? Peter Jackson will be remembered. Would he had been completely forgotten if he hadn't drawn with Corbett?

Then there was this guy named Mauro Mina...

Couple of guys named Yarosz.

People remember Joe Gans. Do they remember Panama Joe Gans?

Hell, how often does Marcel Cerdan get mentioned nowadays? Or Ken Overlin?

People remember Bob Fitzsimmons' beating Corbett. Yet sometimes, they seem to have forgotten his other two championship belts.

The solid fighters aren't remembered. Even if they were damn courageous and had a hard row to hoe. Eugene Hairston, anyone? OK, maybe he wasn't great, but he was a worthy challenger, and he should damn sure be remembered.

It seems like the modern sports fan can only appreciate what's in front of him, what directly relates. Despite so many books about him, or maybe because of them, Ali's already passed into legend. And the legend ain't always accurate.

Ah, hell... sorry if I sound angry. I'm not mad at you guys, believe me. It just saddens me that great athletes, in boxing and other sports, seem to fade from modern memory. It's a shame. They deserve to be remembered.

vCash

In no particular order: Billy Miske, Jack Chase, Ken Overlin, Billy Soose, Freddie Steele, Kid Norfolk (not forgotten, but you never see him listed in all-time Light Heavyweight rankings and, IMO, you should), Jack Sharkey, Miguel Canto, Jeff Smith, Eddie McGoorty, Joe Lynch, Sammy Mandell.

vCash

Rightly or wrongly, Kid Norfolk got plenty of recognition this year by making the 2007 inductee list for the IBHOF.
    Last edited by raylawpc; 12-28-2006 at 03:07 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by raylawpc
    Rightly or wrongly, Kid Norfolk got plenty of recognition this year by making the 2007 inductee list for the IBHOF.
    Serves me right for not reading through the thread before answering; I concede that Norfolk's induction into the hall disqualifies him from this list.

vCash

The great fighter whom I knew virtually nothing about before joining this board was Eddie Perkins... so he's my nomination...

vCash

I agree with anybodys mention of the guys they did. There is so many. My man would be Tony Canzoneri. He is truly one of a kind and his skills are there on tape for anybody who wants to see him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12