Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mickey Walker & Doc Kearns Newsreel Footage/7 min.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Mickey Walker & Doc Kearns Newsreel Footage/7 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CxjJIOqnVI

From Rotoscope

When ESPNCL recently broadcast their top 25 boxers of all time (complete with the usual 20 minutes per hour of commercials and redundant countdowns) I could not help but notice their was no mention of Mickey Walker. Walker has been all but forgotten by the contemporary sports media. He was a multidivisional champion in the 1920s, beginning as a welterweight in 1922, and fighting all the way up to the heavyweights by the time he retired in 1935. He was one of the toughest and most skilled fighters of all time. The "Toy Bulldog" was only 5'7", but is opponents included greats Jack Sharkey, Max Schmeling, Harry Greb, Tiger Flowers, Maxie Rosenbloom, Paolino Uzcudun and many others.

This brilliant newsreel footage of Walker was shot before his middleweight title defense against Ace Hudkins on October 30, 1929. We see Mickey, dressed smartly in long sleeves and kakis, running for the cameras. Then, Walker is introduced by the legendary manager, Doc Kearns for an interview along with his sparring partners. I left most of this footage uncut, but I did some editing for the extended sparring section. Mickey is the smaller boxer without leg sweats. The action is slow at first, but keep watching. The sparring heats up, and the gap between "old timers" and modern fighting gets smaller and smaller.

mike

Re: Mickey Walker & Doc Kearns Newsreel Footage/7 min.

great clip!! doesnt everybody know walker was one of the true greats ever!! the walker -millagan fight is also on sound!!

vCash

Great clip, wonderful fighter - well said, Mike!

mike

kearns was slick--when he mentions -vast crowd--there was none--just a few hangers on!! another laugh from kearns-walker.

vCash

Walker is in deed one of the top 20 forget 25, but 20 fighters of all time. On a pound for pound level I personal have him in the top ten. Along with Greb, Armstrong, Canzoneri, McLarin, Fitz and others, Sense winning titles from differnt weights IMO plays a large part of it. And this was before all the Jr weight nonsense were there is a divsion evey few pounds. The 130 weight divsion and the 133 weight divsion lol. There was plenty of a gap between the Middleweight and welterweight divsion at the time. But what relly puts him in the pound for pound level was his heavyweight run. sure he did not win the world title in that divsion, but getting a draw with Sharkey, and marching his way to a title shot. Until Max Schmling put a end to Walker's plans. No one has beating Walker in heavyweight until Schmiling got to him.

vCash

Thanks for posting that clip GorDoom.
    I am a huge fan of Jack Kearns. What a charactor. Do you have any other clips with Kearns?
    Thanks again
    Wing master

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

This is all I've come across so far ...

GorDoom

vCash

I have Walker vs Millgation, Most of the rounds, more like round highlights I think. Pretty one sided.

Walker vs Hudking, and Schmling, and a few rounds vs Loughran. Saying that. If I KNEW how to upload these fights on You Tube, I would. BUT I have no ideal on uploaded these things. IT never works out with me.

mike

to the buckett and all owners of the walker sparring sessions--i have the film--but cant put it on computer--thing is the sound was schinchonined with the visusal--hopefully it will be restored to the original synich--wherein its perfect. its a historical piece. few 1920s fights and sessinons aare on sound and here we have walker--one the top fighters ever--on sound. again --hopefully another copy with the sound on and as it was --will surface here --or or on you tube. thanks kearns and walker were a blast

+ Reply to Thread