Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Greatest Light Heavyweight Ever? Bob Foster "unplugged" Interview

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

The Greatest Light Heavyweight Ever? Bob Foster "unplugged" Interview

THE GREATEST LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT EVER? BOB FOSTER "UNPLUGGED" INTERVIEW
    by Pedro Fernandez from Ring Talk

LANKY THINMAN WAS ONE BAD DUDE!

Canastota, NY- When it comes to rating the greats who have fought at light heavyweight, you canít omit the name of former World champion Bob Foster. There are boxing fans and historians alike who say Bob Foster was ďthe best 175-pounder of all time.Ē

EPIC KNOCKOUTS OF TIGER & QUARRY

The highlight of the Foster reign, in my view, was his chilling one-punch knockout of Mike Quarry in 1978. There was a deadly hush as the prone Quarry appeared lifeless for more than five minutes. Others say the zenith of the Albuquerque Thin Manís career was the left hook that defanged Dick Tiger in May 1968, capturing the world light heavyweight championship in the process.

As a heavyweight, Foster proved too frail and failed to match the strength to match the Behemoths, losing six times to bigger foes. Overall, Foster posted a log of 56-8, with 46 KOs in his pro career that included 14 title defenses with 11 challengers failing to go the 15-round distance. Standing close to 6í4 and wearing his age well, Foster still has the aura of a man brimming with self-confidence.

RT-Last night you said that Michael SpinksÖ.FOSTER-(interrupting) was not a very good fighter. The best thing Spinks could present was an awkward style. And he didnít beat Larry Holmes in either of those fights. I would have knocked Michael Spinks. Period. And it would have been quite easy.

RT-Which punch was better, the one that you hit Dick Tiger away with or the one the drilled Mike Quarry. FOSTER-The Tiger hook was the more memorable because it gave me the title. But the shot that I hit Quarry with may have been the best shot I ever threw and landed. I thought this guy was dead. People were frantic until he came to. Itís a tough situation to be in. Weíre all celebrating, and hey, he ainít moving. People say it probably bothered Mikeís brother Jerry who was going to fight Muhammad Ali in the main event, who saw it on TV in the dressing room. It wouldnít have helped him, Ali was too good.

RT-Even though you lost to Ali, he said it was one of his toughest fights. FOSTER-I had him out on his feet and I didnít know it. You could never tell whether he was hurt or acting.

RT-When you mention all-time great light heavys, besides you, people bring up Archie Moore (as I was conducting the interview, Moore was being toasted in an adjoining room). Archie told me on my radio show that there has never been a better light heavyweight than himself, and that he would have beaten you. FOSTER-Archie didnít say that, did he? RT-Several times. FOSTER-(He looks towards Moore, shakes his head, and winces one eye) He deserves to be mentioned as a great fighter, but when it comes to a fight between me and Archie Mooreóhe wouldnítÖcouldnít have hit me in the ass with a ping pong paddle. He was too short, didnít have good handspeed and he couldnít match me for power. I would have knocked Archie out!

RT-Which light heavyweight could have beaten you? FOSTER-I donít think there was ever a light heavyweight that had all the skills I had. Combine that with height, the long hard, fast jab and knockout power in both hands, and my overall boxing ability.

RT-With smaller guys like Spinks and Evander Holyfield ruling the heavyweight division, what does that say about todayís big boys? And how come you couldnít make the transition? FOSTER-I never lifted weights and put on bulk like Spinks and Holyfield. And letís be honest, the heavyweight division I attempted to get into was the best group of heavyweights of all time. With the exception of Mike Tyson, not one of these guys could have dealt with that era.

RT-Am I sitting with the greatest light heavyweight of all time? FOSTER-History will prove it. Spinks, Moore, Billy Conn, none of these guys couldíve beaten me.

RT-Why did you get out? FOSTER-I didnít like it anymore. No longer fun, it was all business and B.S. There wasnít the enjoyment in the time leading up to the last couple of fights. And I realized that before somebody caught me going through the motions and quite possibly get hurt, Iíd better get out. And, hey, I walked away on top. How many guys can say that?

Pedro Fernandez

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF FLASH MAGAZINE

This interview was conducted in August 1992 when Foster was 53 years old. We were in Grazianoís Restaurant, attending the 1992 International Boxing Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Canastota, NY. Foster is still alive and well and living in Albuquerque, NM. This interview is from the August 20, 1992 issue of Flash magazine. Flash and its mother publication, Boxing Update magazine, were the boxing trade papers for 20+ years. We thank the publisher Virgil Thrasher for the unfettered access www.RingTalk.com has been given to his archives.

vCash

Re: The Greatest Light Heavyweight Ever? Bob Foster "unplugged" Interview

The greatest? Perhaps. The most humble?...Not!

vCash

Foster is the best in my opinion.

vCash

once you get into the conn, moore, charles, foster category regarding lightheavyweight greatness it is hard to pick the top guy. i will say this, dick tiger and mike quarry were not fighters known for having china chins. that lefthook foster used to destroy both might well destroy all.
    greg

vCash

duplicate deleted
    Last edited by gregbeyer; 01-08-2007 at 03:08 PM.

vCash

triplicate deleted
    Last edited by gregbeyer; 01-08-2007 at 03:08 PM.

vCash

Bob had all the tools, BUT he'd have had to prove to me he could beat Doug Jones or Harold Johnson, two guys who were just before him, beat quality heavyweights and had very good chins. Bob had a shot with anybody because of his size, but his size could also work against him when it came to taking it and fighting inside. Bob had some kind of jab though and get in his wheelhouse of power, well its over.....

vCash

I'd rate Foster 4th all time behind Charles, Tunney & Moore, and just ahead of Conn and Spinks. Possibly Conn beats Foster but not Spinks.

vCash

Looks like bob went to the same lightheavyweight charm school as the uber-arrogant tommy loughran.

vCash

IF Bob felt the Spinks Jink, he might not be saying a whole lot.

Banned
    vCash

Foster

sounds like an ass in this interview and I have no issues with anyone tking Spinks over Bob ( I personally do, but by no means would it have been easy), but let us remember, at 175, Foster possessed TWO Spinks Jinx's.

Other LH's may have fared better at Heavy, but at 175, Foster is a solid bet to have defeated Any other LH Great (we are talking AT 175. Heavyweight success means very little when both are paired off at the LH limit). Doesn't mean he would. But he certainly could.

I take Charles, Langford, Moore and Spinks over Bob at 175. But none are certain bets. None.

Hawk

vCash

Judging by his difficulty with mark tessman, foster may have an achilles heel at 175 with fast stepping slicksters and there are no shortage of them in the division's history.
    On a level playing field, i would pick loughran, rosenbloom, delaney, conn, and possibly slattery (only if he turns up in shape) to beat bob on points.

vCash

The Irish lad may have a point. Foster did not look good beating Ray Anderson in 1971 either.

Also, others may dispute it, but the division was not particularly strong during Foster's reign which may help explain his domination. (That is not to say he was not an excellent fighter.)

I was amused by Foster's remark that he got out because "I didnít like it anymore. No longer fun. . ." I am sure it was no longer fun when Jorge Ahumada kicked his a** for him, and he escaped with a hometown draw decision. He got out because he was getting too old and his skills were deserting him. No disgrace there, but why not admit it? He was "going through the motions" because that's all he could do anymore.
    Last edited by raylawpc; 01-11-2007 at 05:13 PM.

vCash

I would take Tunney to stop Bob, and Conn to beat him as well. Charles is my pick to KO him, and Moore and he would match up in interesting bouts.

The above mentioned are the ones who come to mind as being at least Bob Foster's equals.

vCash

I Always find the Finnegan Fight interesting, it was only after the Ali fight that that Lt Heavy's like Fourie and Ahumada went the distence with Bob, Ali obviously left his Mark, But when Bob took on the unfancided Finnegan Bob had show no erosion, in his previous two fights he had nearly decapitated Rival champ Rondon and the tough mobile Quarry, Finnegan despite being the ex olympic middleweight gold medalist, was given little chance, but he went 14 exciting rounds with Bob alternating boxing and fighting, until ko'ed in the 14th, exhaustion contribting it was the Rings 1972 fight of the year, could indeed be the case that if it is shifty boxing that is going to keep you out of Bob's cross-hairs ala Ray Anderson, thenMessrs Tunney and Conn could certainly improve on this and Join Maurio Mina ?? Harold Johnson would also have been interesting

+ Reply to Thread