Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lorretta Lynn

vCash

Lorretta Lynn

Lorretta's country music career began not in Kentucky but in northern Washington State. Winner of 17 blue ribbons for canning at the Nortwest Washington state Fair she poses the this 1958 newspaper photos. that was also the year that she joined a local band and began singing in local club

vCash

Re: Lorretta Lynn

As it happens Frank i am downloading some of her songs at the moment

But my fave is Patsy Cline

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wildhawke11
    As it happens Frank i am downloading some of her songs at the moment

But my fave is Patsy Cline
    Danny I too liked Patsy Cline more then Lorretta Lynn

Frank

vCash

If that's really Loretta, it's a just awful picture of her. She was never any kind of beauty queen, but that picture is scary.

While I respected Pasty's singing, I have never been a fan of her arrangements. Too produced. I love Lynn's music because it's gritty and hard country - and Loretta could always sing her ass off. For my money she was a better singer than Cline, despite having less range and a lot more twang.

Banned
    vCash

Patsy

Brings back fond memories for me. And slightly scary ones as well.

Sophomore or Junior in college (Late 80's) and I picked up some gal at a Bar in a Ramada Inn. SHe was a performing arts major at Bennington College which was in my hometown (came home for the weekend with some friends from school because we were catching closed circuit bout, I believe).

Got back to her place and in the room there was Nothing but a waterbed dead center in the middle. ANd a Tiny boom box in the corner. No posters. No other furniture. And only a light in the closet (which was where she kept everything.)

I knew these Bennington College girls were a bit "off", but now I was getting weired out and started wondering if I might end up getting stored in the closet with the rest of her shit. Permanently.

Then She turns on Patsy CLine and "Crazy" starts playing. Now I'm convinced she's insane and that I better start fearing for my life.

Turns out, I needn't worry as it was simply a boink fest until about 3 in the morning. (listening to Patsy the whole time) At which time I decided to stay ahead of the game and get my ass out of there before I ended up strung up in the closet like one of those soldiers in the movie Predator.

Well Campus security did tow my car (dicks) and I ended up walking home (cause I simply wasn't going to tempt fate and go back to her room) and luckily only had to pay $30 bucks to get my car back the next day.

Just a weird, but very good night.

Patsy Cline will never spark any other memories for me than that tale.

So for me, it's clear Patsy get's the nod.

Hawk

vCash

Great story, Hawk!

I think that Patsy Cline is one of the great vocalists of the twentieth century. I appreciate the production of most of her songs: they allowed room for that wonderfully expressive voice.

Cline used very few "effect": relatively little of the coloratura stuff. Her voice was interesting in and of itself. And her phrasing was brilliant.

I'm no big fan of Loretta Lynn. But I sort of like her look in that photo: no beauty, but healthy and intelligent-looking.

vCash

Interesting that this experience made you FAVOR Cline Hawk - I'd have thought it would leave a near-death experience thing in your mind....

I lived in St. Catharines, Ontario the entire time the Paul Barnardo murders were going on, and for the longest time the cops had no leads - they assumed it was a man but nobody knew for sure. And I had a similar experience during that time with a gal who put on Heart's greatest hits. And since she kept getting freakier and freakier, I was starting to get very weirded out - but waiting long enough before leaving to do what I went there to do. But Heart always leaves a weird taste in my mouth now. Not a positive memory really - especially nowadawys when I hear the song "Dreamboat Annie" for some reason.

Dan - I can certainly appreciate someone's thinking Cline was a great vocalist. Her music just never moved me. Probably because I really didn't like the 1960s "Nashville Sound" (of which Cline, Jim Reeves and Ray Price were the leaders), and I love "hard country" (which Loretta was the queen of - no matter what Tammy Wynette thought).

Banned
    vCash

It was only near death

In my mind. An overactive imagination if you will.

"the only thing to fear is fear itself"

I never was in true danger. Just percieved danger.

Maybe it provided the equivilant of Auto Erotic Asphyxiation for me.

It IS my Favorite Patsy Cline memory, becuase I have nothing else with which to compare it to, thus it's my ONLY Patsy Cline memory.

All of this said, if at the time, I was provided an opportunity to go BACK in to her room........well in my mind or not, I guess I'm simply a chicken shit. No Flipping way!

I'm keeping my memories.....and my Head!

Hawk

+ Reply to Thread