Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves

Banned
    vCash

Extra credit for me

I don't even like or watch Seinfeld, though I have caught a few episodes, that being one of them.

Good thing for that Fish Pic of yours from a while back Shark. Else I'd be having a mental image of Jerry Stiller every time you posted.

Hawk

Banned
    vCash

Re: Pet Peeves

first thing they should teach in drivers ed is use the freaking turn signal. even when changing lanes.

2nd thing is yield means YIELD!!!!!. One of these days I'm going to be in the wrong mood and someones going to try and merge right where my car is, expecting me , who has the right of way, to slam on the breaks. Well I'm not going to. Let them slam on the brakes or buy me a new car as i sue the pants off them.

vCash

Esso

There is a huge gas station at a major intersection near my home that is forever "OUT OF GAS." I repeatedly drive by and check the gas prices which is indicated as 0.00 showing that they are out. I refuse to get gas at this station since I believe it is being run poorly since no other gas stations in my area are ever out of gas. I've been there maybe once in the last year. I refuse to give them my business.

Yesterday I'm right on empty and the gas light pops on as I pull out of my driveway. I spy this station and I see there is actually a price on the sign and some cars at the pumps.

I bite my pride, pull up insert my AMEX card and begin pumping.

When I hit the $12 mark the fuckin' pump runs out of gas and "OUT OF ORDER" flashes across the screen.

Unbelievable.

vCash

I bet that gas station has a nice 'scratch and dent' department out back in the converted van... filled with all sorts of goodies with no serial numbers.

I recently received a Christmas Card from my Aunt and Uncle and their family. The card is a photo with their 3 kids on it. The youngest kid is 26. I am not sure what the cut-off is for showing your kids off, but I think it's well closer to 15 than 30.

vCash

Anyone else irritated by the "annual update" letter some families send around at holiday time?

Banned
    vCash

The ones broken out by MONTH?

and there are 3 kids?

Yes.

Hint on how to do this folks, it's easy: Last year I sent you a picture card of my 3 girls and they looked like they did in their picture. This year I sent you a picture card and this is what they look like THIS year.

There's your update.

Hawk

vCash

Out of Gas...

There is a huge gas station at a major intersection near my home that is forever "OUT OF GAS." I repeatedly drive by and check the gas prices which is indicated as 0.00 showing that they are out. I refuse to get gas at this station since I believe it is being run poorly since no other gas stations in my area are ever out of gas. I've been there maybe once in the last year. I refuse to give them my business.

Yesterday I'm right on empty and the gas light pops on as I pull out of my driveway. I spy this station and I see there is actually a price on the sign and some cars at the pumps.

I bite my pride, pull up insert my AMEX card and begin pumping.

When I hit the $12 mark the fuckin' pump runs out of gas and "OUT OF ORDER" flashes across the screen.

Unbelievable.
    I'd be curious to see if this doesn't stem from a conflict between the gas station owner and their supplier. Maybe they'd been put on a "Cash only" method of payment for gas deliveries. Let me explain.

Years ago, I was a sales rep with UNOCAL. Somewhere around 1988, UNOCAL corporation decided they wanted all UNOCAL service station dealers (most of the stations were independently run and owned) to set up an electronic funds transfer bank account where they could automatically withdraw the funds needed to purchase gas. Needless to say, some dealers didn't like it.

As I recall, up till then, dealers could turn in Unocal credit card receipts when gasoline was delivered and pay the difference later. When the new policy rolled out, however, those dealers refusing to set up a EFT account with UNOCAL were put on a "cash only" basis for payment of their gas deliveries. This often meant they had to come up with in excess of $10,000 upon delivery.

Not too many dealers could do this, so eventually they all fell in line.
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 12-21-2007 at 04:36 PM.

vCash

Re: Out of Gas...

Quote Originally Posted by Juan C Ayllon
    I'd be curious to see if this doesn't stem from a conflict between the gas station owner and their supplier. Maybe they'd been put on a "Cash only" method of payment for gas deliveries.
    Either that or they just do such high volume that they keep running out.

They key for me should be to never go below 1/4 tank then I won't ever have to rely on these guys.

vCash

Anti-social

Since when did the word anti-social replace unsociable? I hear the misuse of this word repeatedly and often from educated people.

ie: "My child would rather play by himself, he's antisocial."

"Come over for a few drinks, don't be antisocial."

The final straw for me was reading an article in a national magazine the other day on overcoming shyness and twice the author (who apperently is a therapist) referred to shyness as being "antisocial".

I'm not a complete stickler for correct vernacular but this one just drives me nuts (no pun intented).

Sort of like when 'asked' became "axed"

Banned
    vCash

Perfect!

Now I can be a dick even further and correct those who use the term Anti-Social, incorrectly. Oooooh they will love me for that one!

Glad you started this thread up 10-8 as I had a story from this weekend that I had no idea where to place. And as this is about Pet Peeves, I think my latest is that I have a Pet Peeve for Squirrly pricks in a grocery store who have no tolerance for children.

Now don't get me wrong here, I beleive parents SHOULD be watching out for thier kids at all times and in all places and allowing your kids to go apeshit with shopping carts and out of control, bugs the shit out of me as well. More so, given that I myself am a parent and I try to proctice what I preach.

So there I was in a Hannafords Grocery store on Sunday. My wife went in with my 2 year old little girl ahead of me, as I needed to run to another store in the plaza first and did so with my 8 and 6 year old daughters.

Got in the the Grocery store and looked up the aisles from the front of the store towards the back to find my wife and other daughter. Finally saw them walking in the back of the store from the meat section towards the dairy. So I went into the next aisle from where I was standing in front of, to go up it to catch up with them.

As I do so, some guy in his mid 40's is coming down at a hurried clip and got past him and began up the aisle. My girls in tow, were a couple of steps behind me. This guy had to stop as the girls pretty much STOPPED in their tracks as they saw the carriage come at them. They acted like an 8 and a 6 year old would.

I immediately apologized on their behalf and had them catch up with me. The guy stands there with an exasperated look on his face, does a heavy sigh and shakes his head.

A smart person would have ignored this and continued on to catch up to his wife. But this is me we are talking about. So I ask aloud: "Sir, is there a problem? I did acknowledge that my daughters got in your way and I did apologize for them."

His response?

"Train them."

If you thought my ignoring the sigh of his, was ill advised and downright stupid, you can only imagine how my reaction to the comment made to me about "training" my two daughters went over with me.

Suffice to say, I got in his face and reminded him that Dogs are trained, not children and he would like to be my DOG, I would be more than willing to train him on the spot.

He didn't particularly care for my suggestion and scurried away rather quickly. I however could not let it go.

When I say him in the store a very shortwhile later, I loudly explained to my wife that THAT was the weasel who suggeted I "train" our children. I also did so when we were standing in the checkout lane and then when we were putting our groceries in the car, I made a point of walking over to his car and informing him how I never forget a face and that we would see each other again.

I'm betting he has no children, else his comments would never have been uttered in the first place. I'm also thinking he didn't take me for someone who would, I dunno, SNAP? over such a comment.

This Guy folks, Is MY new Pet Peeve.

Hawk

vCash

My new pet peeve is soon-to-be-ex-wives who think that everything in the house already belonged to them when you met. And who think that spousal support means "everything you expect to earn until you die".

vCash

Hope that isn't personal experience TKO. If it is you have my condolences.

Hawk, you remind me of my wife 'aka' big mouth. She let's nothing go and will confront anybody on everything. I'm the calm one usually disregarding everything and telling her to let it go.

Now, I did have one scenario a couple of summers ago that I didn't let go.

I was in the left lane of the highway approaching an accident scene and I moved a lane over to let the abmbulance get by, but when I tried to get back over to the left lane, this pick-up truck with 2 guys in their 20's refused to let me in. With my blinker on the whole time, traffic was pretty much crawling but occassionally the gap would be there and as I would start to edge over, this idiot would gas it and not allow me back in. This went on for several minutes.

Now, this was a hot summer day and my usual tolerance level was not quite there. I also had my two sons in the back of the van, and the windows were down. Because of the heat I had taken my shirt off (yeah I know....white trash...whatever). Eventually these two guys get talking to each other and failed to realize I now had a pretty good gap, so I successfully shot in seconds before he gassed it missing my rear bumper by inches.

The guy went ballistic and started screaming at me calling me a "fuckin' asshole, motherfucker, you're dead etc...." I could clearly hear him as both our driver's widows were open. He' was also giving me the finger and shaking his fist at me.

Now, I'm not exactly the guy you want to see coming at you when I'm pissed so when my younger son said to me, "Dad, that man is swearing at you." That was it for me. Within moments this 250 lb shirtless musclehead was standing outside the guy's driver door, begging numb nuts #1 & #2 to get out of the truck so I could tear both their fuckin' heads off and shit down their necks. Both guys literally said nothing, rolled up their windows, locked the doors then stared straight ahead and refused to make eye contact. It was priceless. Traffic was moving, so I went back to the van an drove away.

"Dad did you tell that guy you'd shit down his neck?"

"Uh...no. But don't tell Mom anything about what just happened."

Banned
    vCash

Priceless indeed!

Would have Loved to have witnessed that one!

When we left the parking lot at the grocery store, my 6 year old says to me:

"Daddy, I don't want to come back to this store if people are going to be mean to you."

My wife looks at me, with a squinted expression and says in a seething whisper: "You are damn lucky that your kids don't think YOU were the retard in all of this!"

Still smoldering, I thought about a rebuttle, but decided it was better to let it go.

Besides, My wife doesn't fight fair and she probably could take me.

Hawk

vCash

Boxer who don't take chances, especially when they have the momentum or worst the other fighter hurt.

Juan Manuel Marquez.

vCash

The use of the word "prolly".

I have been occassionally guilty of this and thus, hate myself.

Also the misuse of the word "myself".
    -----

vCash

When my son does not do something I tell the first time. He's just standing looking. AGGHHHH!!!!!!!

I am Patton 'round here boy! Ten hut!

vCash

My wife's use of "what are you talking about?" when what she really means to say if she had any ability to have a disagreement and not a character assasination contest is "got me there!".

When translated into normal person, "what are you talking about?" is pronounced "I have no comeback and do not wish to acknowledge your point."

vCash

LOL,

When my mom will not get off the phone in like .6 secs after I say "Ok mom, talk to you later."

I can all day Sharks. Keep em coming.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey
    My wife's use of "what are you talking about?" when what she really means to say if she had any ability to have a disagreement and not a character assasination contest is "got me there!".

When translated into normal person, "what are you talking about?" is pronounced "I have no comeback and do not wish to acknowledge your point."
    Or the all time classic comeback "OH YEAH?"

or

"YOU KNOW WHAT?"

Then they don't tell you "what."

Banned
    vCash

My wife's is

"Whatever"

She obviously knows that one goes right through me.

Hawk

vCash

Rules To Live By

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    Would have Loved to have witnessed that one!Hawk
    Seriously, I should mention that I do not advocate leaving one's vehicle to engage in confrontation. This usually ends in an assault allegation "He pushed/shoved me", a threat allegation "He said he was going to kill me" or a driving allegation "He drove off and tried to run me over." Nothing good ever comes out of such instances.

I do however hold true to two codes of conduct:

1) NEVER trash talk me in front of my kids.

2) NEVER write a cheque with your mouth that your body is incapable of cashing.

In my afforementioned situation, these beliefs unfortunately met head to head.

Banned
    vCash

My grocery store Incident

Was of the same cloth 10-8.

Trash me if you would like and I'll ignore you.

But "TRAIN THEM"? My daughters? As if they were DOGS? An 8 and a 6 year old, whose "crime" that day was walking in front of your Grocery cart?

Nope. I'm not going to ignore an insult like that about my children.

ESPECIALLY, when this came on the heels of my IMMEDIATE apology to him on thier behalf.

Not Proud, I snapped and confronted this douchebag, especially as it was in front of my children. But I would have been MORE upset if I let him walk away from that comment, without me responding to it on their behalf.

You simply are not going to talk about my children in that manner.

Hawk

vCash

My mom will not even talk about anything tangible UNTIL I tell her I'm going to get going.

Me: "Welt! (pronounce it WELT! it adds the ability to exhale and sigh dramatically) I have a meeting so I'll call ya later."

Mom: *Alert!!! start talking about something, you're losing him "Yeah... so while we were in __________, ___________ and I saw this show about _________."

Me: "Huh! Interesting... " uh oh.. what's happening.. "I'll, uh.. I'll call ya later."

Mom: "Ooookaaayyyy.. Listen! next time you're here I got you some ________. Like the ones remember on that show ____________"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently, I have been meeting new people. People my wife works with. They all of course have that great attribute I long for in people I find myself spending reasonably decent amounts of time being forced to sit near on a patio: the special skill of finding me to be a good listener; and in possession of gobs of personal reflections... not to mention the added bonus superhero like power of not caring one iota to listen to any voice other than their own and a selfish almost maniacal need to emit several metric tons of CO2.

Perhaps they are space aliens who are from a planet where noise vibrations are their nutrients, or, they can only exist hearing their own muffled voice form within their own head. For aliens, they have tremendous insight. They all tell me what a great dad I am going to be. I could molest collies or habitually spearfish in a public aquarium, but based upon their assessment of my ability to listen to retarded stories about THEIR LIVES and THEIR WORK and add a witty amusing remark or two and make it through the entire evening without burying my hands in the chicken wing dip while my fly is unzipped, I am great fatherhood material.

Oh, and these aliens all have assumed the guise of females. The leaders of these celestial invaders have also, judging by the digital camera storage space devoted to them, of which one cannot reasonably refuse to view without appearing rude and cross ("drop dead")apparently enslaved the souls of their incubating eggs into their multitude of dogs.

I need my own thread.. more free-wheeling and random.. and not "random thoughts".. more along the liens of "Adventures of Sharkey"
    Last edited by Sharkey; 07-08-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Banned
    vCash

one of the great threads of all time.

I probably posted this before, but don't mind repeating. I'm deaf in one ear. When my wife, who knows this, says something which i can't quite hear, i say "what?" She then repeats what she said in, I swear, a quieter voice. I naturally lean closer to her and say again "what". She then gets all exhasperated and goes off saying i should open my ears....

vCash

My pet peeve: "Summer blockbusters"

There was a time when the MOVIEGOER actually decided what a "Blockbuster" was. Now it seems as if it's the studios who tell US what the blockbuster is before the damn thing even comes out. Like "This is it, folks! THE event! You're not gonna miss out are ya??"

Case and point: The new Batman film. The Hollywood salesfolks have already decided that this is the movie we all need to shell out our money to see and have no qualms whatsoever about using Heath Ledger's death as a selling point. Very crass.

BTW, the previews do look good. But c'mon folks....let's stop letting these people dictate to us what's good before it even get's released. Maybe then they'll stop giving us crap like Charlie's Angels, Speed Racer, Daredevil, ad infinitum.

vCash

And kudos to you gentlemen who stuck up for your children in the face of mental midgets. Always nice to hear.

I did have an incident once while surfing. A father thought I had "run over" his 5-year old kid. Never mind that the boy dropped-in on me and banked left, thus smacking into my board and forcing us both to crash. Rather than reprimand the boy for dropping-in (a big no-no in surfing), I came to the surface, touseled his hair and said "You OK?" Next thing I know big daddy- who was a "local" and outweighed me by some 50 lbs- paddles over and growls "Dont'cha know how to steer that thing?" I tried to explain but he didn't want to hear it. So I proceeded to untangle my leash and the kid's while he ordered me to "hurry up!" and posture for his son and friends(who were all watching).

I guess he took my silence for weakness, cuz he took it a step further and, in a booming, authoritarian voice, actually ORDERED me out of the water! Well, I guess my next reaction surprised him a bit cuz he didn't take it any further afterward. I pulled a "Mike Ditka"(remember that story?) and locked eyes with him, calmly letting him know that I wasn't going anywhere and that "Nobody was going to make me, either." He got the message and paddled away uttering a few hollow, face-saving growls.

Later on I saw him in the parking lot and approached him. I let him know that I don't come to Malibu(nor does anyone I know) in hopes of finding a nice 5-year old kid to run over with my 10-foot longboard and send to the hospital. He understood, apologized for his behavior and we stood on the bluff talking about life and careers and all sorts of interesting stuff for about 15 minutes. We get along great now.

But I still prefer to surf at night when nobody's around....
    Last edited by Surf-Bat; 07-09-2008 at 04:38 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyfan
    one of the great threads of all time.

I probably posted this before, but don't mind repeating. I'm deaf in one ear. When my wife, who knows this, says something which i can't quite hear, i say "what?" She then repeats what she said in, I swear, a quieter voice. I naturally lean closer to her and say again "what". She then gets all exhasperated and goes off saying i should open my ears....
    Yeah, when I'm on the phone with a friend of mine (both with cells) and then it sounds like we've been disconnected unexpectedly, the first thing that happens is that I can't hear him. So I say, "HELLO? . . . HELLO??" Well, he apparently hears me, because right after each "HELLO," he responds "HELLO???"-- always immediately after mine-- but he SOUNDS as if he can't hear ME! So, since now I'm thinking he can't hear me, I therefore ask, as a last resort before just hanging up, "Are you there?" . . . and he always replies, "Yes."

I'm hoping that just one freaking day, when I can't hear him and say, "HELLO?," that if he hears me (and our problem is thus apparently over with), he'll just reply, "I hear you" or "I'm here."

I won't hold my breath waiting, though.
    Last edited by Michael Frank; 07-09-2008 at 05:36 AM.

vCash

People who say "I could care less" when they mean, and should say, "I couldn't care less."

People who say "cordially" to mean "barely friendly," or "coolly" when in fact, "cordially" means "warmly." E.g., "I don't like her, but I was at least cordial with her. Nope.

People who sing the wrong words to well known songs. They have the nerve to sing as it is and piss me off anyway, and then they're making up the words, to boot.

People who say "healthy food" when they mean, and should say, "healthful food". (Living things are healthy; food that makes you healthy is "healthful.")

People who pronounce it "lazzae fair" (1st word rhymes with "Roz-A") when they should say it in French: "laissez-faire". Pronounced closer to "less-A" fair." (As in laissez-faire economics, meaning the government leaves things alone and thus doesn't proactively affect the economy.)

People from the Minnesota area who say "he borrowed me 100 dollars" when they mean, and should say, "he loaned me . . . "

People who just make up words such as "boughton," thinking that's the past tense of "bought" (which is already in past tense).

The local TV and radio commercials running where I live, on which the voiceover states that the product's technology was invented by the "Nassau" scientists who got us to the moon. Instead of saying "NASA." And no, this mistake still doesn't make me remember the product.

There are a lot of these that bug me.
    Last edited by Michael Frank; 07-09-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Banned
    vCash

i had an appointment at the dentists office. After waiting and hour and a half, I got up and started to leave. All of a sudden, the dentists comes running out and says he can see me now. I said no thanks and left. After a few days, i got a call from the dentists secretary and asked If i wanted to reschedule. i explained what happened and told her i would be changing dentists. She apologized for what happened and said i should make appointments first thing in the morning or right after lunch, that way it was less likely any unforseen delays would interrupt my appointment. i told her an appointment means an appointment and they should honor it or at least exlain why a delay is occuring. Also, I told her the apology was nice, but she's not the dentists and it wasn't her fault so the apology is rather meaningless and just words to placate me.
    I hate apologies from people who had nothing to do with the transgression. They're meaningless. Kind of like the pinhead in high school who would punch you in the arm then apologize right after, only to repeat the same thing every day untill you caught on and punched back.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    I'm betting he has no children, else his comments would never have been uttered in the first place.
    I'm also betting he never had his mouth shut for him before. The lack of respect people give to others they don't know never ceases to amaze me.

I was driving a bit hastily for no particular reason to my grandmothers funeral early Saturday morning. The highway wasn't so busy and I was in the left lane. I came up behind someone who must have been driving 60, they realized I was in a bit of a hurry, they moved aside so I could pass (which I believe is a law in most states). As I'm driving past my girlfriend tells me that he was giving us the finger. Obviously I had other things on my mind so I blew it off but I couldn't help but fantasize about getting this guy to pull over so I could snap this guy's finger off for him.

+ Reply to Thread