Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves

vCash

Re: Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    I was driving a bit hastily for no particular reason to my grandmothers funeral early Saturday morning. The highway wasn't so busy and I was in the left lane. I came up behind someone who must have been driving 60, they realized I was in a bit of a hurry, they moved aside so I could pass (which I believe is a law in most states). As I'm driving past my girlfriend tells me that he was giving us the finger. Obviously I had other things on my mind so I blew it off but I couldn't help but fantasize about getting this guy to pull over so I could snap this guy's finger off for him.
    Sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing, diggity. My condolences to you and your family.

My related peeve: where I currently live in the Pacific Northwest are the slowest drivers in the U.S., except for maybe getting behind an 80-y.o. in Florida on a single-lane road. This is near a very major city, but many of the roads, which IMO should have 50-60 m.p.h. limits, have 40 m.p.h. posted--and the people only drive 30 m.p.h. Usually, 2 cars drive next to one another at 30 mph so that no one can pass either one, with long lines forming behind them (which in Calif. requires the one leading the pack in the left lane to move over, but they never do that here).

Anyway, with this in mind, picture getting behind someone in the right lane, as the lead drivers in BOTH lanes are moving like snails, though there's plenty of open road. So, you're patiently driving behind slow-poke in the right lane--not tailgating, not flashing brights, doing nothing aggressive--and then you see a chance to move left into the fast lane and get going a bit faster.

As I do this and then pass the guy whom I was following previously, he flips me off, gets behind me, hits his horn, and flashes his brights. This happens fairly often, to me and to others.

Apparently, where I live, it is an unforgivable insult to politely pass someone . . .

vCash

Re: Pet Peeves

When people say "I had to get up at 6 am in the morning". My response is usually "As opposed to 6 am in the evening?" 6 am IS the morning. Why the redundancy?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Surf-Bat
    When people say "I had to get up at 6 am in the morning". My response is usually "As opposed to 6 am in the evening?" 6 am IS the morning. Why the redundancy?
    Yes, speaking of redundancy Surf, something I find that even the sharpest lawyers and executives fail to catch:

"They both went to the same school." -- Obviously, either "both" or "same" could be dropped and the meaning unchanged. Though if "same" was dropped, then the school name would need to be included.

Not a pet peeve for me, though, because it's so common and rarely even perks up my own ears to hear it (unlike your "6:00am in the morning" thing, which would bug me).

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Frank
    Sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing, diggity. My condolences to you and your family.

My related peeve: where I currently live in the Pacific Northwest are the slowest drivers in the U.S., except for maybe getting behind an 80-y.o. in Florida on a single-lane road. This is near a very major city, but many of the roads, which IMO should have 50-60 m.p.h. limits, have 40 m.p.h. posted--and the people only drive 30 m.p.h. Usually, 2 cars drive next to one another at 30 mph so that no one can pass either one, with long lines forming behind them (which in Calif. requires the one leading the pack in the left lane to move over, but they never do that here).

Anyway, with this in mind, picture getting behind someone in the right lane, as the lead drivers in BOTH lanes are moving like snails, though there's plenty of open road. So, you're patiently driving behind slow-poke in the right lane--not tailgating, not flashing brights, doing nothing aggressive--and then you see a chance to move left into the fast lane and get going a bit faster.

As I do this and then pass the guy whom I was following previously, he flips me off, gets behind me, hits his horn, and flashes his brights. This happens fairly often, to me and to others.

Apparently, where I live, it is an unforgivable insult to politely pass someone . . .
    These stories remind me of the old George Carlin quote;

"EVER NOTICE THAT ANYONE DRIVING SLOWER THAN YOU IS A MORON AND ANYONE DRIVING FASTER THAN YOU IS AN IDIOT?"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8
    These stories remind me of the old George Carlin quote;

"EVER NOTICE THAT ANYONE DRIVING SLOWER THAN YOU IS A MORON AND ANYONE DRIVING FASTER THAN YOU IS AN IDIOT?"
    How true, 10-8.

Or, maybe the faster "idiot" is, in our opinion, "dangerous." (I.e., the speed limit is 65 mph, I'm going 75, he's going 85 . . .)

Administrator
    vCash

Thanks Michael

Banned
    vCash

tv shows that give you previews of whats comming up after the commercial. I'm watching the damn show, I'll see what happens, i don't need a preview of what i'm about to see. Also, back from commercial they need to do a recap of the last minute before going to commercial. just an annoying ploy to make 45 minutes out of 30 minutes, then add 15 minutes of commercials and you have an hour long show.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyfan
    tv shows that give you previews of whats comming up after the commercial. I'm watching the damn show, I'll see what happens, i don't need a preview of what i'm about to see. Also, back from commercial they need to do a recap of the last minute before going to commercial. just an annoying ploy to make 45 minutes out of 30 minutes, then add 15 minutes of commercials and you have an hour long show.
    How about the closing credits being squeezed into a narrow half-screen so they can give you the preview. Oh, and running the credits way too fast for the eyes of any human. Heck, the voiceover even cancels out the closing music!

What is the point? Just piss off the producers of the show that's ending and remove the credits completely.

Banned
    vCash

The over use of the term "click" in pseudo cop and military shows.
    for example, bad guys are 3 clicks west of our position.

vCash

I've mentioned this before but it keeps going on...and going on...
    Radio DJ's that keep talking commercials or other useless chatter when a song starts right up until the vocal begins as if the singing is the only thing worth listening to. Some of them have it down to a science and end their dribble at the exact moment the singing starts.
    Steely Dan's "Reelin' in the Years" came on recently with that nice guitar intro and this clown is jabbering all the way thru it. *jeez*

Banned
    vCash

On the way to work, I hit the same 4 mile stretch of road every night. There are 8 intersections I have to go through. In 10 years, i don't think I've ever hit all lights when they were green. I've tried driving fast, i've tried driving slow, it doesn't matter. The real fun nights are those when i hit 8 red lights in a row. If they would only sinchronize these lights, my cars life would be extended by 4 years and I would save a nice chunk of change in saved gas money. start,get up to 50mph, stop, start, get up to 50mph, stop........

vCash

Roommate Issues

Well, I generally like my roommate, but he's got a few doozies. Now, am I being too nit-picky or what?

Here's a few pet peeves:

1. That cat box smell and colateral damage his cats inflict on some of my furniture.

Let me add that I allowed my roommate to bring his cat into my home when I first rented a room to him, and as there was no smell and relatively little colateral damage, I allowed him to get another one to have as a companion.

Suddenly, I notice the smell and more collateral damage (i.e., damaged drapes, which will come out of his deposit), scratches on a cheap leather couch and loveseat, and scratch marks on a relatively inexpensive but nice pair of chromed steel chairs with leather backrest and seat slung between them that I've since moved to my bedroom (which I keep closed)!

I asked him to declaw them, which he initially agreed to, until he found out what a cruel and painful practice that was. Then, he got these softer claw covers that glue on like fake fingernails and minimize the scratch damage. However, the first set has since worn out and I've asked him to replace them the other day. We'll see...

2. Borrowing three bottles of wine from the small wine rack in my armoire to entertain while I was away in Las Vegas, and then taking a week and a half to replace them.

I had to remind him several times to pick them up and then he deposited them in a bag on the floor of my livingroom (I didn't say anything, but if he got the bottles out of my wine rack, I think he should place the replacement bottles in the wine rack, too). I've previously allowed him to borrow a bottle, but I'm thinking that's going to end.

3. Finding one of his cat perching atop the woofer component and behind the upright electrostatic portion my Martin Logan speakers.

To replace those speakers brand new, it would cost me at least $3,400. If it poked its claws through the honeycombed openings in the metal stators of the electrostatic portion of either speaker and punctured the mylar membranes (they produce the highs and midrange tones), I would be extremely upset!

Needless to say, you better believe I sent that cat scurrying but quick! I also found some double edged tape (which cats can't stand stepping on) and placed them on the back ledge of both speakers.

Sheesh. And I better not find them gnawing on the speaker lines, which USED cost me about $500 for the pair.

Sheesh!
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 07-11-2008 at 04:30 AM.

Banned
    vCash

water bottles. my wife buys these by the truck load. what a waste of money and what a recycling pain in the ass. Nowadays, you "need" a water bottle wherever you go. the gym, for a walk, for a long car ride. kids need them for school, for lunches, for sports. Give me a break. Growing up, you had the water fountain at school and a small pint of milk for lunch. at home, a glass of juice or coke. I'm sure the caveman was always near a water supply and constantly rehydrating himself. One of these days I'm going to bring a water bottle to church and see what people say as i rehydrate during the sermon.
    Plus I'm the schmuck that keeps picking up the empty bottles around the house and in the car and putting them in the recycle can.

vCash

This relatively recent development in which "no response" to an emailed or telephoned invitation (which went into voicemail) is a socially acceptable way to decline the offer.

This goes for party invitations, social events, getting together, or just following up on another date.

That last one especially gets me. You go out on several dates and--having agreed to go out again--follow-up several days or a week later. And then, no return phone call. Ever.

Yeah, I know. Move on. Still, to me, that's rude! I mean, what's so bad about simply saying, "I met someone," "I'm not interested in you that way," or whatever.

I guess it's just easier to blow someone off when they're no longer useful or as compelling company as they once were. Rude!

vCash

water bottles. my wife buys these by the truck load. what a waste of money and what a recycling pain in the ass. Nowadays, you "need" a water bottle wherever you go. the gym, for a walk, for a long car ride. kids need them for school, for lunches, for sports. Give me a break. Growing up, you had the water fountain at school and a small pint of milk for lunch. at home, a glass of juice or coke. I'm sure the caveman was always near a water supply and constantly rehydrating himself. One of these days I'm going to bring a water bottle to church and see what people say as i rehydrate during the sermon.
    Plus I'm the schmuck that keeps picking up the empty bottles around the house and in the car and putting them in the recycle can.
    Ding!

Administrator
    vCash

If we were really to go there, roommate pet peeves should have its own thread all together.

Banned
    vCash

free radicals and antioxidents. look, you can eat all the blueberries and drink all the green tea you want, whats the best that can happen, you extend your life by ten minutes. when the big man says you're done, you're done. just ask jim fix

vCash

Ditto for water bottle horrors.

1) With 3 kids and their friends always over, it's nothing to find 5-10 water bottles with one mouthful gone lying around the house. A complete waste.

2) My Jack Russell terrier also insists on chewing the bottle and removing the cap when it's empty so throw in a dog staring at these half-empty water bottles and crying and it's enough to grind your nerves raw.

3) When I do end up giving the dog an empty bottle she will make short work of it and since I don't like garbage in the floor will toss it into the nearest available garbage can which causes my wife to begin to nag me for not being eco-friendly.

Give me tap water with all it's chlorine, zinc, copper etc...and the ensuing kidney and liver damage over water bottles.
    Last edited by 10-8; 07-12-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Administrator
    vCash

Here is one I've meaning to put down for a VERY long time....

Fuckin people who don't know the right of way on the road!!!

These idiots basically almost cause accidents every day because they are so fucking dumb or because they are just terrified of driving and would rather everyone go in front of them or....they feel like they are doing you a favor by being nice and letting someone go while causing confusion to every driver around them. That shit drives me absolutely frickin bananas. Pay attention, stop being a hippie & fuckin drive before I have an damn aneurysm.

Yes, I feel better now.

Banned
    vCash

Tuning into a website forum and finding that one of my posts from the day before has been unceremoniously deleted without explanation (and I didn't insult nobody in it or nothing). PeteLeo.

Administrator
    vCash

Repost it if it was so important & clean.

Banned
    vCash

I forgot what I wrote.

Oh, and I (quite literally) don't recall which thread it was on). PeteLeo.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Pete:

Nobody deleted your thread. It's a quirk of the board. I've had at least a half dozen posts of mine just disappear into cyberspace. & I know I didn't delete them.

It just happens sometimes. Be assured nobody deleted it.

GorDoom

Banned
    vCash

I bought a "lemonade" from a local 7-11. As I was drinking it, I read the back. A real tiny banner at the bottom read "contains no fruit juice". Would someone explain to me how you can call something lemonade if it doesn't contain any lemon juice?

vCash

More on English grammar/usage errors:

- People who write, "touch basis" instead of the correct form, "touch base"

- . . . "would of" instead of "would have"

- . . ."could care less" instead of "couldn't care less"

- . . ."feel badly" instead of "feel bad"

- . . ."Alls I know" instead of "All I know"

Administrator
    vCash

Someone wrote me once who instead of saying "sort of" invented the word "sortive."

vCash

Someone wrote me once who instead of saying "sort of" invented the word "sortive."
    Ha!

But I still wonder where the heck "alls" came from???

Administrator
    vCash

Yeah that gets on my nerves too...
    How about "for all intensive purposes" for "for all intents & purposes"

vCash

Yeah that gets on my nerves too...
    How about "for all intensive purposes" for "for all intents & purposes"
    Ha! Though I admit I never saw that one (nor your "sortive.")

Seems like you correspond with people who truly make up words--their errors are not even common errors.

Administrator
    vCash

Well, they were both models so there ya go.
    I also found it amusing how often both found a reason to say some variation of "I'm not stupid"

+ Reply to Thread