Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves

vCash

Re: Pet Peeves

Quote Originally Posted by JLP 6
    When I lose my keys, right before I am getting ready to leave out of the house.
    Better than to lose them after you leave the house!

vCash

Further discussion of this topic continues here.

Administrator
    vCash

Barack Obama just used one of my pet peeves in a speech -- he spoke of the "enormity" of the challenge to fix the economic system!

He meant large -- probably "enormousness."

Banned
    vCash

I saw a description on the guide of my Dish Network system of a man "loosing" his nerve just before committing himself to a long-term relationship.

Maybe the writer meant that the guy was unleashing an inner demon or something. PeteLeo.

vCash

In Sarah Palin's denial of the errors she was accused by McCain handlers of making in her debate prep, such as Africa being a country instead of a continent, not knowing the countries in North America, etc., she indicated that she has the highest "regards" for McCain.

The word is "regard."

Sheesh.

First rule when denying you're dumb: don't show more dumbness in the denial.

vCash

People who take rumors (not verified) passed off as news, as gospel. Especially when those newsy items are later shown to false and hoaxes.

vCash

If I heard Chris Matthews describe the election of Barack Obama as "wondrous" one more time, I was going to trash the tube.

Banned
    vCash

Last Monday on one of my favorite teevee comedies, "The Big Bang Theory," the Superbrain Sheldon, who knows everything about everything, was allowed to utter the line, "That's very unique," without being corrected by any of the other High-Q characters who inhabit the little series.

My delight in having at least one mass media example celebrating intelligence over grunting animal instinct dropped a degree or two at that slip. PeteLeo.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeLisa
    Barack Obama just used one of my pet peeves in a speech -- he spoke of the "enormity" of the challenge to fix the economic system!

He meant large -- probably "enormousness."
    I caught that too. He also said "green behind the ears" and sort of misused the word "enriched," when he meant "got rich."

I can't stand when I hear people say "I fought the good-old-boy network" when they mean "old-boy network," unless they're clearly talking about the DUKES OF HAZZARD.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    I caught that too. He also said "green behind the ears" and sort of misused the word "enriched," when he meant "got rich."

I can't stand when I hear people say "I fought the good-old-boy network" when they mean "old-boy network," unless they're clearly talking about the DUKES OF HAZZARD.
    Todd--

All excellent calls!

vCash

Not a peeve but it does relate to an honest but amusing misuse of words that brings a smile to my face.

A nice lady who works in my office operates a document scanning machine.

Sometimes the machine does not operate as it should and she often diffuses her woes by stating that the machine is just being "Sentimental" and probably needs "Collaborating".

vCash

Has this been mentioned?

People who cash-in scratch-offs at the gas station...use the winnings to buy 25 more scratch-offs... remain fixed at the cash-out, scratch those scratch-offs; all the while the cashier allows this to occurr until a log-jam of irate soon-to-be cigarette purchasers forms behind me (with a pack of gum and a hope for a tin of chew)

The accompanying sighing and throat clearing symphony which can be heard from miles away is enough to make me want to strangle someone, it's like camp-cough during the Civil War. The guy wearing 5 layers of shirts weilding a nickel and boring a friction path into the counter hears nothing.

Inevitably the other gas station store person who's job function is at best, a mystery, reveals themselves to open the other counter. But it is too late.. the lady (always a female) behind me has already been muttering out loud for 3 minutes.

vCash

More usage: people who write "lead" to mean the past tense of "to lead." As in, "She lead me by the hand toward the door." The proper spelling is "led."

Why is this one so tough, I wonder?

I have seen this error in print as well.

vCash

And the most misused expression I've ever seen, everywhere. Even in the print media: the phrase, "Begging the question."

As I found presented correctly online:

"Begging the question" does not mean "raising the question." It means to present as true a premise that requires proof--i.e., taking a conclusion for granted before it is proved or assuming in the premises of your argument what is supposed to be proved in the conclusion. (This fallacy is related to the circular argument.)

For example, when National Security Adviser Condoleeza Rice asserted that we had to invade Iraq, because we didn't want the smoking-gun proof of their weapons of mass destruction to be a mushroom cloud over one of our cities, she was claiming as the premise of her argument the idea that the Iraqis had or were on the verge of having nuclear weapons. But whether or not they had such weapons was precisely what needed to be proved in order to justify the invasion, so it could not be itself used as proof of the need to invade to preempt their use of such weapons.

When President Bush repeatedly suggested during the run-up to the invasion that Saddam Hussein, because of his hatred of the U.S., would be likely to give weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) to al-Quaida, he was assuming a cooperative relationship between Hussein and al-Quaida, as well as assuming that Hussein actually did have WMDs. But what he needed to prove in order to justify the invasion was that Hussein had WMDs and/or that Hussein had a cooperative relationship with al-Quaida. Those were precisely the issues under contention, but his arguments for invasion always treated them as the premises, as if they were already proven.

This isn't a political post at all, just about the expression, "Begging the question."

vCash

My pet peeve is the term "An historic day" or "An historic event" etc etc.

Writers and people seem to think it's "An" instead od "A" OR "a"

The word "An" only precedes a word that begins with a vowel.

They use the "An" because it sounds better when saying "An historic," as opposed to "A historic"

Banned
    vCash

Somewhat related to An vs A

Several Years ago on the ESPN show Scholastic Sports America, they did a profile on a High School Basketball player who lived in Las Vegas Nevada.

The Kid's Name was H Waldmen. THat's right, his first name was H. He later went on to have an unspectacular career at UNLV.

The topic of his unique name obviously came up and he ended this profile by saying: "Some kids are a Bill or a Joe or a Tom, I'm a H."

Now he spoke that sentence absolutely correct as the word An only is to precede a Vowel or a Silent H as in "honorable".

But the statement "I'm a H." or "It's a H" is absolutely so awkward sounding that while gramatical rules state you need to phrase it: "I'm a H" or "It's a H", it sounds 1000 times more fluid with the word An.

Of course, since the Letter H is pronounced as though it HAS a silent H (H sounds like "Aech". Remember, "when two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking". Sorry. 1st grade lessons coming back to haunt me.), I'm wondering if it actually should be spoken "I'm An H" or "It's An H."

THings that have tormented my nights for years now.

Hawk

vCash

Re: Somewhat related to An vs A

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    Several Years ago on the ESPN show Scholastic Sports America, they did a profile on a High School Basketball player who lived in Las Vegas Nevada.

The Kid's Name was H Waldmen. THat's right, his first name was H. He later went on to have an unspectacular career at UNLV.

The topic of his unique name obviously came up and he ended this profile by saying: "Some kids are a Bill or a Joe or a Tom, I'm a H."

Now he spoke that sentence absolutely correct as the word An only is to precede a Vowel or a Silent H as in "honorable".

But the statement "I'm a H." or "It's a H" is absolutely so awkward sounding that while gramatical rules state you need to phrase it: "I'm a H" or "It's a H", it sounds 1000 times more fluid with the word An.

Of course, since the Letter H is pronounced as though it HAS a silent H (H sounds like "Aech". Remember, "when two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking". Sorry. 1st grade lessons coming back to haunt me.), I'm wondering if it actually should be spoken "I'm An H" or "It's An H."

THings that have tormented my nights for years now.

Hawk
    So true, it is all about the sounding of it. It sounds a whole lot better with the "An"

Hey, that bit about "An" being allowed to precede a word with a silent 'H.'
    I never knew that. I guess I've learnt something new; or should that be learned?
    Last edited by walshb; 11-28-2008 at 11:10 AM.

vCash

Maybe this is strictly an Irish thing; but the pronunciation of the word 'Tremendous,' is, as it is spelt, 'tree men dus.'

Here in Ireland, I would say the majority of people pronounce the word
    'tree men jus.' I cannot understand it; as it is NOT a difficult
    word to pronounce.

Do any Americans or English folks here this in their part of the world?

Or Aussies or Canadians, the general English speaking countries?
    Last edited by walshb; 11-28-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Banned
    vCash

Man, it took a me a hour just to read those last several postings . . . though it was a tremandulous amount of fun. PeteLeo.

Banned
    vCash

Here's hoping

"I'm a H." was a top 5 highlight.

Hawk

vCash

Stirring the alphabet soup

Hawk - If I read you correctly, I take it that this guy "H" Waldmen pronounced his first name as "Aitch" not "Haitch".

For my brain to deal with the spelling/grammatical conundrum, I would say that the kid either mispronounces his name relative to the actual spelling or spells his name incorrectly relative to the actual pronunciation. "H" on it's own does not sound out as "Aitch". "Aitch" simply compromises the sequence of letters that spell the letter "H".

If the kid stated "I'm a Aitch", imo he is grammatically incorrect - the name should've been preceded by "An". If he stands by using the letter "H" to represent the pronunciation "Aitch", I would say the function of the "H" in his name is as a symbol of a word rather than a word itself.

If he stands by the single letter spelling of "H" for his first name but chose to drop the phonetic "H" in the pronunciation of his name, he would actually be dealing with a silent name altogether.

My head hurts.

Banned
    vCash

PD

As does mine.

Only I have a Head start on you as I saw the profile on this kid (Aitch. I like that. Apparently His parents didn't like him though.) 18 or 19 years ago when it first aired on ESPN.

I just could never get that line out of my head: "I'm a H. I'm a H. I'm a H."

Every time I would even THINK of that short sentence, I felt as though I tripped over something.

Hawk

vCash

When did throw-away phrases become mandatory as replacement to periods on the end of sentences?

I endured an entire Thanksgiving with relatives of my wife..the fact she doesn't even care for them and we never see them otherwise was one thing. To be driven batty by these 'sentence cappers' was another:

"This coat matches these socks Isn't that funny?"
    No. It isn't even odd.

"Hey.. SoCo, Seagrams who cares You know?"
    Know what? No one cares? You don't care? An opinion that could have died right off your lips must breath life anew?

"Well, once we put the planks down it was easy to do the rest yeah so..so yeah.."
    Yeah. So, you don't want to cede the floor and you wish to think of continuing to talk while you make noise to prevent me from saying anything.. I get it.

These are 3 persons tactics to prevent the listener from talking about anything they might want to discuss. They use them in a manner like if you hummed when you finished every sentence so that the listener couldn't speak.

vCash

Re: PD

As does mine.

Only I have a Head start on you as I saw the profile on this kid (Aitch. I like that. Apparently His parents didn't like him though.) 18 or 19 years ago when it first aired on ESPN.

I just could never get that line out of my head: "I'm a H. I'm a H. I'm a H."

Every time I would even THINK of that short sentence, I felt as though I tripped over something.

Hawk
    "Hih"?

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Somewhat related to An vs A

Grammar rules call for "an" when it precedes a vowel *sound* -- e.g., "I sent you an R.S.V.P." and "He's a European."

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized you guys already covered this.

vCash

World famous cry baby, John McEnroe, making a fortune in commercials by exploiting his past bad behavior. There oughta be a law.

Banned
    vCash

Drivers -- sorry to be sexist, but they seem to be 90% women -- who stop in single-lane parking lots, waiting for someone to back out so they can snatch the newly-liberated parking space even if the people in the other car haven't finsihed loading their loot, yet. I swung by Wal-Mart earlier this week (I know, I know, a bad move to begin with), and some little dingbat in a minivan had decided to set up camp just as she turned into lane, thus leaving her vehicle ass in the throughway and blocking half a dozen unwary cars behind her when the people she was waiting for hadn't even unlocked their own rattletrap! Jeezus-meezus. I squeezed past her somehow (not in the truck, of course) to park half a mile down range, and when I walked into the store, this self-entitled moron was just slipping into her precious parking slot. There were no handicapped plates on the mv, either.

Damn, it wasn't raining or particularly cold, but by god, that was her space and she was going to get it even if she had to make the rest of the world screech to a halt behind her.

What happened to common courtesy? PeteLeo.

vCash

There has been a rash of observances by this guy of people one car ahead of me who refuse to get closer than 50 feet of the car in front of them at a stop light. Like they have a vat of car-sensing plastic explosive festooned to their front bumper.

The reason this sucks so bad is that there has been a coincidental explosion of traffic lights I am stopped at that stay green for no longer than 4 seconds.

------

Why does nobody else but me know that there are/where the little seperators for items on the check out belt at the grocery store are?

------

Unless you are a war-criminal, or blind, wearing sunglasses indoors makes you an ass.

------

Man this happens all the time, and let me choose 'beer'. It could easily be almost anything else...If you don't drink beer, or drink beer based upon what you may believe is that brand's cache', do not tell me the beer I drink stinks. In fact if you do drink beer, do not tell me the beer I drink stinks. I can, I suppose however, get all childish and in-kind, you know... tell you your beer of choice sucks. But I want to burn through as little oxygen as is necessary so I have more to add on to the end of my life.

------

If I disagree with you, and that makes you upset, and you happen to have what may be the preferred view of the topic-of-the-month it does not make me mean or a hater (whatever that might be) it means I disagree with you, and that you are in fact, a baby.
    Last edited by Sharkey; 06-30-2009 at 12:06 PM.

vCash

My 7 year old is nuts. I love him to death.

Me: "What you just did makes no sense. Why did you do that? And don't tell me you don't know why"

Him: ".............."

Me: Why did you DO that!

Him: "I don't know"

Nuts

Banned
    vCash

went to look at new cars yesterday. At the very end, our salesman had to run to get his manager, who tried the old "these deals might not be here next month so buy today" routine.

i agree with the sunglasses. Worse yet are pinheads who wear them during interviews. I wish someone would just once say, take off those sunglasses or the interview is done.

+ Reply to Thread