Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves

Banned
    vCash

Re: Pet Peeves

If I knew what that meant, I'll bet I'd be pissed. PeteLeo.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

LOL! You're fucking priceless, Pete! One of the most acerbicaly funny people I've ever run across.

GorDoom

vCash

Waaaaah! Bucket always liked you best!!!

Banned
    vCash

I appreciate the thoughts, fellers, but like my Uncle Ray used to tell me, "If something's priceless, that could just as well mean it's worthless." A real ego-fluffer, Uncle Ray. PeteLeo.

vCash
    I hate pedents

--Paulie W
    So, lemme guess: You're of the opinion that people wearing pendants are pedantic?

Just curious: why do you hate pendants?

Regards,

Juan

vCash

I appreciate the thoughts, fellers, but like my Uncle Ray used to tell me, "If something's priceless, that could just as well mean it's worthless." A real ego-fluffer, Uncle Ray. PeteLeo.
    Of course, that's not to say that Uncle Ray was a "fluffer," right?

Just trying to keep things straight, ya know...

jca

vCash

Juan -- you seem like such a gentle soul, I would never suspect you as a prankster-extraordinaire!

BTW, did we find out what a pedent is? Isn't there an online registry for pedents in some States?

-Peter

vCash

During my former career as an editor of scholarly books, I was always hoping to meet a pedantophile.

vCash

Wasn't Robbie Pedent a featherweight?

vCash

Hi Theironbar,

Thanks!

I didn't find anything for pedent, although I found pendant, as follows:

Pedant
    Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Cite This Source

A pedant, or pædant, is a formalist or precisionist in teaching or scholarship. The corresponding female noun is pedantess. The term comes from the French pédant (1566 in Darme & Hatzfeldster's Dictionnaire général de la langue français) or its source Italian pedante "teacher," schoolmaster, pedant. (Compare the Spanish pedante.). The origin of the Italian term is uncertain. The first element is apparently the same as in pedagogue, (a teacher) etc.; and it has been suggested that pedante was contracted from the medieval Latin pædagogantem, present participle of pædagogare "to act as pedagogue, to teach" (Du Cange); but evidence is wanting. The Latin word is derived from Greek terms for "child" (παιδ-) and "to lead" (αγειν).
    The term is typically used in a negative connotation, indicating someone overly concerned with minutiae and detail and whose tone is perceived as condescending. When it was first used by Shakespeare in Love's Labour's Lost (1588), it simply meant "teacher." Shortly afterward, it began to be used negatively. Thomas Nashe wrote in Have with you to Saffron-walden (1596), page 43: "O, tis a precious apothegmaticall [terse] Pedant, who will finde matter inough to dilate a whole daye of the first inuention [invention] of Fy, fa, fum"

Usage of term
    Being referred to as a pedant, or pedantic, is considered insulting. However some people take pride in being a pedant, especially with regard to the use of the English language. In an attempt to avoid censure, people who wish to make a correction often preface it with "not wishing to be pedantic, but ..." or "without being a pedant, ...".

Pedantry can also be an indication of certain developmental disorders. In particular those with Asperger Syndrome, or Higher Functioning Autism, often have behavior characterized by pedantic speech. Those with Asperger's tend to obsess over the minutiae of subjects, and are prone to giving long detailed expositions, and the related corrections, and may gravitate to careers in academia or science where such obsessive attention to detail is often rewarded.

Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder is also in part characterized by a form of pedantry that is overly concerned with the correct following of rules, procedures and practices. Sometimes the rules that OCPD sufferers obsessively follow are of their own devising, or are corruptions or re-interpretations of the letter of actual rules.

Quotes

"A Man who has been brought up among Books, and is able to talk of nothing else, is what we call a Pedant. But, methinks, we should enlarge the Title, and give it to every one that does not know how to think out of his Profession and particular way of Life." - Addison, Spectator 1711.

"Nothing is as peevish and pedantic as men's judgments of one another." - Desiderius Erasmus

"The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself, without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is in, effect, a man unable to laugh at himself." - Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

"Servile and impertinent, shallow and pedantic, a bigot and sot" - Thomas Macaulay, describing James Boswell

"The term, then, is obviously a relative one: my pedantry is your scholarship, his reasonable accuracy, her irreducible minimum of education and someone else’s ignorance." H. W. Fowler, Modern English Usage

"It's not pedantry, but merely a desire for accuracy." - Roy Cropper, in an episode of Coronation Street.

"I find the President's plan for peace in the Middle East to be shallow and pedantic." - Family Guy, in the episode "Petarded"

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia © 2001-2006 Wikipedia contributors (Disclaimer)
    This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
    Last updated on Thursday December 14, 2006 at 13:54:16 PST (GMT -0800)
    View this article at Wikipedia.org - Edit this article at Wikipedia.org - Donate to the Wikimedia Foundation
    Cheers,

Juan

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DscribeDC
    Wasn't Robbie Pedent a featherweight?
    I thought it was Robbie Rodent.

That's funny:

Robbie Pedent...sheesh! It took me a second, there.

"Robbie Pedent? Ped-ent...Pe-dent...Pe-den--Peden! Oh, Robbie Peden..."

vCash

Awesome! Enough Already!

My newest "pet peeve" is the over-use of the word "awesome." I hear it everywhere, all the time. Each time I hear it used, I cringe. Can't people come up with a synonym once in awhile? Jeez, have some imagination.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Juan C Ayllon
    Hey,

Not to bust anyone's chops, but, here are two things quickly:

1. From www.dictionary.com :
    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
    to·ward /prep. tɔrd, toʊrd, təˈwɔrd, twɔrd, twoʊrd; adj. tɔrd, toʊrd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[prep. tawrd, tohrd, tuh-wawrd, twawrd, twohrd; adj. tawrd, tohrd] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–preposition Also, to·wards. [/I]
    Whenever a dictionary states "Also [whatever]," it's reflecting usage. But the main entry is the one that's preferred. E.g.: expresso is in the dictionary as an "Also," because a whole bunch of people say it. But "espresso" is correct.

Administrator
    vCash

Two supermarket pet peeves:

1. When the person rings up all my stuff and doesn't tell me the total. Apparently it's my job to find the total on the screen.

2. When the person who rang me up gives me my change by placing coins ON TOP OF the bills. To me that's about as irrational as putting on your shoes before your pants.

Banned
    vCash

Re: Awesome! Enough Already!

Quote Originally Posted by BoxofDaylight
    My newest "pet peeve" is the over-use of the word "awesome." I hear it everywhere, all the time. Each time I hear it used, I cringe. Can't people come up with a synonym once in awhile? Jeez, have some imagination.

Yeah, imagination . . . imagination is totally awesome. And cool, too.

Totally.

PeteLeo.

vCash

My pet peeve is people making up non-words for people who are too stupid to know the right ones. Listen to TV commercials: "tiredness"? How about "fatigue", people?

vCash

My pet peeve is people making up non-words for people who are too stupid to know the right ones. Listen to TV commercials: "tiredness"? How about "fatigue", people?
    Don't get me started on TV commercials--with their rampant theme of the idiot male/dad.

vCash

Don't get me started on TV commercials--with their rampant theme of the idiot male/dad.
    What? Men are tubby, vainglorious couch potato morons and women are sexy, smart and long-suffering martyrs who set aside their own dreams for the men they love.

Youse gotta problem wit dat?

Banned
    vCash

Disney has a contest going where you mail in a postcard with your name and address for daily prizes. You can enter once a day. I've been mailing a postcard once a day now for 3 months. I put "TO" and then the disney address and on the back, I put "FROM" and my address.
    Today, for the 10th time, I have one of my postcards returned to me by the post office. Apparently, they don't know the definitions of "TO" and "FROM".
    I have tried underlining the to's and from's, highlighting them, writing them in huge letters. All to no avail.

vCash

See "Grammar Girl's" #1 grammatical error. What a surprise.

vCash

Most abused words: "devastate" and "firestorm."

Banned
    vCash

See "Grammar Girl's" #1 grammatical error. What a surprise.
    40 or not, Grammar Gal's cute. PeteLeo.

Banned
    vCash

Most abused words: "devastate" and "firestorm."
    But . . . if you stumble across a devastating firestorm . . . what are you going to say? PeteLeo.

Banned
    vCash

I was going to say maelstrom, but thats A whirlpool of extraordinary size or violence

how about conflagration?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TKO11
    when I think about what an ass I was in those days
    hey T! This thread reminded me of my best prank ever. Back in the mid-70's I lived with a friend in Denver for awhile. It was Sunday nite and he had a very early morning job interview the next day at a construction firm so he decides to turn in early as he has to get up at around 5 AM. He hadn't helped around the apartment all w'end so I was a little PO'd at him so I decided to exact "revenga"! I waited until he was fast asleep and moved every clock in the apartment up several hours and set his alarm to go off in about a half-hour then curled up in anticipation for the fun to start...BUT WAIT! He had a wrist watch on...so I crept into his room and deftly removed it and set it to the "correct" time and put it back on his wrist. At 11:00 PM the alarm went off. He's up and attem' in a heartbeat even talking to himself..."man, I feel good!" He goes into the kitchen for a couple of minutes, and then into the shower. I hear this popping sound in the kitchen and investigate...He's frying bacon! I jump back into bed and bury my head in the pillow to keep from cracking up. He dresses and eats quickly, grabs his bike, down the stairs and peddles into the "early morning traffic". I remember looking out the window and seeing his rear end up in the air as he's picking up speed and just lost it!!!

He returns about 90 minutes later obviously not in the best of moods but surprisingly calmed down shortly thereafter as he related what had happened on his excursion.

He got to the job site but no one was there, so he locks his bike up and curls up at the front door to grab a little shuteye; said he felt sleepy
    He finally runs across the street to a Jack in the Box to get a coffee and notices the clock on the wall. He asked this redneck'ish guy next to him what time it was and the guy answered him in a very mean and rude tone; a long-haired guy at a nearby table said..."hey, he just asked you a simple question!" These two start to get into it and, within seconds, its near fistacuffs; the employees call the police, and my buddy slips out the side door and returns home.

I still chuckle out loud to this day when I think about it...

Banned
    vCash

One of my pet peeves is the sudden profileration on-screen of the so-called "body language readers." Anybody who actually thinks he or she can decide if a person is lying by the way they cross their legs or smooth their hair is as self-deluded as any of the old-time noggin bump readers (I think they were called phrenologists).

People are different, and they have different personal tics and habits. Fox seems to feature one of these charlatans on every other broadcast, and it worries me that their "science" might even be elevated to the level of legal "proof," the way that those "recovered memory" quacks were back in the early Ninties (we all remember what a farce that turned out to be).

Legal decisions are meant to be difficult to arrive at to guard against slapdash "justice," and taking the lazy way out by giving credence to pseudo-science like body language and lie detectors offers a lot more to be feared than embraced in the search for real truth. Or that's the way it seems to me, anyway. PeteLeo.

vCash

Hey Counter - that's friggin' TERRIBLE! You're lucky the guy didn't have violent tendancies. My practical jokes had more to do with a scare or a shock than an actual ass-busting, ball-breaking inconvenience. Probably because I was a victim of a really bad one.

My degree is in Marketing. When I was in third year my Marketing class all had a school-year-long project to select a local business, learn all we could about it and develop a marketing plan for them, to be presented at the end of the year. This project was worth 55% of the annual grade. The company I selected was a local Sanitation company that decided to go up against BFI, which had a basic monopoly in the area.

7 months I worked on this plan, learning the industry, positioning, etc.. Over the last of those 7 months I had spent a couple of weeks developing a comprehensive auio/visual presentation to make to the class, and writing the actual plan for submission, which was about 75 pages. I had all of my papers and disks together, and all I needed to do the next day was get the quipment from the A/V lab and take my disk to the computer lab to have the marketing plan laser printed, and stick it in a binder with a custom graphic I had done on the front. I was confindent of an excellent grade on both the presentation and the plan.

But as I said, this was right at the end of the year. The night before I was to present, I reviewed all my materials one last time while laying in bed, left them on the floor at my bedside (papers, disks, handouts for the presentation) and went to sleep. One of my roommates had finished his exams and was leaving for home that night and decided to get me with one last joke - he leaned three full pitchers of water up against the outside of my bedroom door.

I woke up in the morning, got up and opened my door - in my half-asleep stupor all I knew was something cold was getting my feet so I stepped back - right onto my stack of 6 disks. All of my papers were soaked and melting together and my disks were crushed. Seven months work.... gone. The only thing I had left were my notes.

This happened around 7:30am, and my presentation was at 4:30pm. I dashed to the computer lab, spent about 7 hours re-typing the marketing plan (printed it without even doing a spellcheck, so it was LOADED with typos), then ran to the campus bookstore and bought a sheaf of transparencies, and handwrote some overheads for the presentation. I got to class right on time, hadn't had anything to eat all day, and had no presentation notes, as my planned presentation was gone.

I prefaced the presentation by saying, "Let me tell everyone a little story. My roommate left for home last night and thought it would be funny to....." So I did it, it took 25 minutes instead of an hour as it was supposed to. When I received my grade for the presentation I had a 68 (instead of the 90+ I had originally expected) and was happy to get it. On the marketing plan I was awarded a 90, but the professor's notes said I cost myself severl points just because of the carelessness of my spelling - he said that professionals do not submit plans with spelling errors, typos, and so many sentences that are hard to follow.

I never saw that roommate again, which was probably lucky for him. Had he and I crossed paths in the next severla months, I'd have likely choked him.

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    Two supermarket pet peeves:

2. When the person who rang me up gives me my change by placing coins ON TOP OF the bills. To me that's about as irrational as putting on your shoes before your pants.

I also hate when ordering something and the person taking the order mumbles back an option to me. depending on what mood I'm in, I'll either just say yeah and pray whatever I just agreed to is edible or I'll ask them to repeat the question. I usually have to ask 2 or 3 times since the mumbler will inevitably mumble the question again. By the 3rd request, they finally figure out they better speak up or I'll just stand there ad infinitum.

vCash

People who act like dead celebrities, who when alive probably would not have given them a glass of H20 if their heads were on fire, were members of the family.

Banned
    vCash

Hmmmm . . . acting like a dead celebrity . . . would that entail lying around and slowly decaying into dust? Hey, I think even I could handle that. PeteLeo.

+ Reply to Thread