Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves

vCash

Re: Pet Peeves

I'd forgotten about one of my BIG PP's until lunch today. Disc jockeys who keep talking about crap AFTER the song begins and continue right up until the vocals start.
    I'm driving around today at lunch with the oldies station on and Steely Dan's "Reelin' In the Years" comes on with that nice guitar solo intro and this knucklehead keeps gabbing all the way thru it!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeteLeo
    Hmmmm . . . acting like a dead celebrity . . . would that entail lying around and slowly decaying into dust? Hey, I think even I could handle that. PeteLeo.
    My artful use of the parenthetical must have perplexed you...

Banned
    vCash

Steely Dan, Counter?

Man It's great to be on a Site where I know the majority of the posters are as old as I am, if not older.

A New Pet Peeve of mine whihc really didn't develop until I became a Parent and not really until my kids became old enough to absorb "stuff", is commercials for more adult oriented shows, being aired in the middle of the friggen afternoon.

Specifically, I'm watching a Football game, college or Pro and during a commercial break they air a commercial for "Dirty, Sexy Money" or a "CSI Miami" or the like. I get enough grief from my wife, living in a household full of 4 females, taking time out of the weekend to sit on my ass to even watch sports when I "should" be doing something with the family (I do more than most, and becuase I enjoy it, trust me) as oppposed to watching "sports".

I don't need on top of that, the laser glares from accross the room, when stuff like that is promo-ed during a commercial break of a Michigan Notre Dame game.

Fer the luv a Pete!

Hawk

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DscribeDC
    My artful use of the parenthetical must have perplexed you...

Well, if you're going to use artsy-fartsy stuff like logic and grammar and whatnot . . . . PeteLeo.

vCash

You mean your kids ask you what "erectile dysfunction," "genital herpes" and "oral sex" are? So much for the family hour, eh?

Banned
    vCash

Yeah DC

That and having to explain to my 7 and 6 year old why the cartoons that there is a commercial for during the half time of a 4:00 Cowboys game on FOX, that are showing nude shots of an Animated Peter Griffin from Family Guy (Which I find hilarious BTW), isn't something Daddy is going to let his little girls watch.

Oy.

Hawk

vCash

People (my wife) telling other people what I love or hate and generally speaking for me when I am 3 feet away and capable of speaking for myself.

I am unsure why this happens. It could be that my wife feels she is boring or not credible as someone to have an opinion about anything, so she subs me in. It might be that hyperbole cuts conversation short. As such, I am party to watching someone else tell a further someone else how everything they like I love as much!! Great huh!!!

Restaurant talk? "Oh, that's Chris' (me) favorite place (it's not)." Talking about other cities? "Chris (me again, 2 feet away with no food in mouth) always says _________ is one of his favorite places." It could be Elmira, NY... Akron, Bridgeport. I could hate the place, have never been there. Love it.

It COULD also be she is using me to test the room. If she uses me as an example rather than herself, any opinion or outlook that may spark a full-tequila bottle beaning can be directed at me and not her. I may be kind of like the monkey they sent to space to make sure people wouldn't die when THEY went.

Or it could be the fear of what I might say. Example:

Person: "We luuuuuv Restaurant X".
    My wife envisions me possibly saying: "Blurf Badooof! BAAAARFFFF!!! DERRR!! let's talk about the NAZI's!!"

In the end I have settled on what I like to call "I am SHE!" This is a condition where the always right virus begins to morph into full-blown matriarchal control-freakishness disease.

THEN there's the rest of the family.

vCash

Another one.

The dealership that sells you a car tells you via mailing, that the guy who was there when you bought the car is no longer there. THEN they call you to inform you that Gary or Steve or whatever his name was is gone but Chip or Vince will be there for me. To help with the grieving I suppose.

My response was, literally, "I'm not buying anything for awhile."

I may be totally different than everyone else, but usually I don't need the guy who I bought the car from BEFORE I go to the dealership the first time. I do not call the sales guy periodically to go and consult with his manager for giggles about getting me 3 new FM stations on my car radio; or to see if he is available to have me come back in to go through the process of haggling over price just for fun...pretend buying you know?

I understand exceeding customer expectations is the new deal in great customer service. However, I did not expect to speculate for the next 4 or 5 minutes as to what the guy looked like again, or if he left or got canned or died in a horrible polyester suit fire.

Call me when the mechanics leave and you hire 3 new goobers who will destroy my car the next oil change. Otherwise, don't write me. Don't call either.

...To say nothing of people who call you on the phone and say, "Hi" when you answer the phone by saying 'Hello?'. This causes that fun exercise where you are on guard; not knowing to whom you are speaking...when as they converse with you and do not identify themselves. As if they were Louie Armstrong, Bill Cosby or Vincent Price with distinct voices known the world over.

Then there are people who feel it necessary to answer every call they have coming in while they place you on hold... when they called you in the first place... and they tell you who is callign them.

Actually, I think my pet peeve is the telephone.

Or people.
    Last edited by Sharkey; 11-28-2007 at 09:40 PM.

vCash

Hey Chris - you and I have sooooo much in common. I have to constantly tell my wife that I am not a xenophobe, I simply find most people far too tedious to be bothered with.

Regarding the car dealership - my business is morphing more and more into a straight marketing agency every day, and I LOVE walking into places that send generic, crappy items like that, just to get their names in front of their existing customers. Annoying and ridiculous - when you walk into the dealership's owner's office with something really different, they just about crap themselves in a hurry to use you. I have a Toyota dealer that said he wanted me to come up with something that I thought would almost guarantee a minimum of 100 walk-ins. When I showed him what I came up with he utterly refused - I said to get a list of 1000 customers that bought a car from them more than 30 months ago, and send each of them a Gem keytag with their dealership logo on it, and a single key on the ring. One of the keys would start a brand new Camry Hybrid that would be sitting on the showroom floor. I convinced this dealer to do it by saying that if less than 100 people came in to try their key, I would not charge him for the keytags, the printed flyer, the keys or the postage (about $6000 all told).

92 people showed up to try the keytags over the 3 weeks of the promotion. SEVENTEEN of them bought cars, as they were ready for a new car (I love direct target marketing). The key that would actually start the car went to someone who didn't bother to come to the dealership to try it, so the dealership made over $500,000 in sales with only a $6000 cost. Happily, the owner didn't hold me to the "100 people or it's free" offer I made, and he thinks I'm a genius. But THAT is the kind of promotion that I wish the dealership I bought my car from would run.

Banned
    vCash

TKO, just curious. If the dealership had given away a car, how many car sales would be needed to offset that loss?

vCash

With a promotional vehicle giveaway, Toyota offers a very nice rebate to the dealership that made it a lot more viable. Had the promotion car been given away (bare bones, it's about a $35,000 vehicle) they would only have had to sell about $50,000 worth of other vehicles (at this dealership's average profit margin) to break even. With most Toyotas, that's less than two cars.
    Last edited by TKO11; 11-29-2007 at 09:00 AM.

Banned
    vCash

thanks for the info. interesting

Banned
    vCash

"The Jeffersons". although a funny show, thanks to sherman helmsly, something always pissed me off. The guy works his butt off to give his family the best, and they do nothing but bash him. from his wife, to his son, to the maid, bash bash bash.

Why do CSI miami and CSI ny always start off showing a party? where are all these parties? why am I never at a party with hot chicks in bikinis gyrating around while sipping umbrella drinks. Do supermodels do nothing but go to parties all the time?

when did this idea of f***buddy come up. why wasn't this on the table when I was growing up. In my day, suggest this to a woman and you get a drink in the face and a slap upside the head. on tv today, its the women suggesting it.

Banned
    vCash

"The Jeffersons" was a Norman Lear show. That pretty much sums up George's pre-rodained, immutable fate.

Dang, you mean you've been missing out on all of the parties? I'll try to leave an in-card at the door for you when we crank up the next one.

(Remember the episode of "Seinfeld" when Costanza began showing a wallet-photo of his deceased fiance -- actually a picture of a model friend of Elaine's -- which acted like a magic key to get him into all of the hidden "beautiful people" parties? After he was busted for using a magazine cutout of another gal, he and Jerry returned to the location of a huge orgy the very next morning and found it to be an empty warehouse. There's an entire civilzation of gorgeous women out there eternally concealed from the less esthetically-blessed of us, I suppose.)

What's my pet peeve of the moment . . . .? How about this: when waiting in line at a fast food drive-through, why does it never fail that the vehicle immediately ahead of me will be driven by someone over the age of seventy wanting to use a debit card to pay even though he or she never remembers the correct pin number in less than four attempts? Is there some sort of cut-off age at which you're no longer allowed to carry cash on your person? I literally -- this is no exaggeration -- spent thirty-eight minutes in one of these lines at a TacoBell, unable to even back out, while Granddad up there repeatedly tried to get his card to work. And when he finally succeeded (or the cashier took pity on him and paid the bill herself), he sat there by the window until every item in the foodsack had been inspected and handed to the person for whom it had been bought. Thirty-eight minutes, friends.

I wonder if living in a society is really worth it sometimes. PeteLeo.

vCash

Re the Jeffersons. This was the 1970s, when liberal bias held sway in tv sitcoms, the rich were evil, snobby, boorish inbreds and all virtue was the property of the hard-working, hard-struggling underclass, see Good Times. As far as Norman Lear goes, remember what the biggest one-liner on All in the Family was? "You know who'd make a great president...that's right, buddy...Ronald Wilson Reagan..." [gales of riotous laughter]

I hate to agree with Pete, but he's right.

What I love about the debit card is that, even though these duffers are always holding up lines, the Visa Checkcard ads portray people who spend CASH as the flies in the ointment. Advertising is so good nowadays it can convince us that black is white.

If I hear about this f***ing Seinfeld bee cartoon one more time, I'm going to spit.

Banned
    vCash

DC

Spot on with the VISA Check Card Commercial.

The whole Idea behind those commercials just annoys the piss out of me.

Take my Flocking cash register jockey and LIKE IT!

THat said, standing behind the moron who tries to break a $100.00 bill, five minutes after a store opens up, especially at a sundry shop/corner store, just boggles my friggen mind.

Pal, No one is impressed you carry around large bills. Break it at the BANK, not at Dunkin Doughnuts while I'm trying to get my medium regular and two glazed's!

Hawk

vCash

Aggressive Drivers and More!

One of my biggest pet peeves are the aggressive drivers that insist on tailgating you and everyone else that stands in their way of getting to where they want to be right now, Now, NOW, damn it!

My ex-girlfriend used to tell me on a regular basis about being tailgated and flipped off more than once while driving somewhere. Granted, she's not the fastest driver, but Geez!

I think it's part of the instant gratification fixation that has become front and center in American culture. Something tells me this is one of the unfortunate spin-offs of the constant bombardment of marketing in our popular media designed to create a "gotta have it NOW" mentality.

I'd venture to say that's part of what's fueling the large number of foreclosures in real estate these days: People overextending themselves in mortgages and other debt to assuage the need for largesse now, only to find themselves unable to meet their obligations.

That, and the great amount of layoffs taking place in America.

And, that's another thing that irks me. Sometimes business is going fine, but in order to meet profitability goals, they lay off more people. Take, for example, a large insurance company in Illinois. It posted record profits this last year. So, what do they go and do? They lay off several thousand people.

As one astute finance professor of mine once said, GREED drives our markets.

Sometimes, the human--and non-human--cost is immense.

It's a darn shame.

vCash

My PP is supply-siders who insist on the sanctity of the free market UNTIL their ARM reprices and they realize they are over their heads. Then, a government bailout is needed to remedy the "faulty" market.

Banned
    vCash

heard a good line to day.
    Ever notice people going slower than you are morons and those speeding by you are insane.

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Counter Jab
    I'd forgotten about one of my BIG PP's until lunch today. Disc jockeys who keep talking about crap AFTER the song begins and continue right up until the vocals start.
    I'm driving around today at lunch with the oldies station on and Steely Dan's "Reelin' In the Years" comes on with that nice guitar solo intro and this knucklehead keeps gabbing all the way thru it!

worse and all too common today, disc jockeys who tell you about their day. Just play music moron, If I need to hear about someones day, I'll actually tune in my wife while she goes into great detail about hers.

vCash

I think modern FM radio is one big PP: a loose amalgam of overly-strident, intellectually-frivolous talk, computer-programmed top 40 junk, and patronizingly-packaged "oldies." Simply not worth listening to. If you want to PAY for it, you can get your entertainment sliced-and-diced into little ticky-tacky boxes so you'll never have to leave yr comfort zone.

Ugh.

vCash

How about sitting in a left hand turn lane and the car ahead simply refuses to get out into the middle of the intersection so that 2 or even 3 cars can turn after the light turns yellow.

Spending days enjoying a jigsaw puzzle and finding one piece missing at the end.

Anyone who says I'm going to the "little boys room" or "little girls room".

vCash

Non-military media people who overuse terms like "blowback," "firestorm," "embedded" and "boots on the ground."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Counter Jab
    How about sitting in a left hand turn lane and the car ahead simply refuses to get out into the middle of the intersection so that 2 or even 3 cars can turn after the light turns yellow. .
    Topped only by the morons who enter the intersection on the green wait to turn left then try to reverse backwards when the light turns yellow to red.

vCash

Was there a new law passed recently which allows women to bash into you with their grocery cart each time you are in the check-out line?

People who when addressing you, insist on groping for an accent, so that they may, in their mind, pronounce your surname (otherwise pronounced as spelled) according to their guess of what ethnic group your name is associated with must be stopped. Moan-swa? Mun-see-yur?

vCash

Oui, oui, monsiere.

Banned
    vCash

Hmmm

And I thought it was Man-zeer.

Hawk

vCash

No, it's "bro".

vCash

Cliff beat me to the 'bro' comment. Hesa quick.

vCash

Enough from you Maui-senor-ovski!

+ Reply to Thread