Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves

vCash

Re: Pet Peeves

One of the three or four most common English usage errors in my experience: People saying "disinterested" when they mean they don't care about something, which is "uninterested."

"Disinterested" means favoring neither side, as in, "The judge is a disinterested third party."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Frank
    One of the three or four most common English usage errors in my experience: People saying "disinterested" when they mean they don't care about something, which is "uninterested."

"Disinterested" means favoring neither side, as in, "The judge is a disinterested third party."

I once killed a man for the improper use of the word "disinterested".

vCash

Pet peeves?? How about the folks who ride escalators and ONLY when reaching the top they find out they are lost, and just stand there not thinking in a matter of precious few seconds about 20 people will be pushing into them, and they will have nerve to turn around and wonder why are all these "ignorant" people are pushing them forward.

MOVE ASS HOLES!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Enswell
    I'm missing your point, Enswell, as the thread began with a discussion of English errors.

Relative to GorDoom's early comment about "towards," another would be "anyways." Seems educated people say the correct "anyway," and the less educated blow it with "anyways." That one seems usually to correlate with education level, I've found.

vCash

Silk, you're so right!

The morons standing there, as the escalator pushes everyone behind them into them, look so befuddled, usually! Oblivious AND stupid!

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Enswell
    I once shot a man in Reno just to watch him die . . . oh, wait . . . that was Johnny Cash, not me. PeteLeo.

Banned
    vCash

People who think that just because they can come up with a quote from an old, dead author, they've won the argument.

Because Moliere (or Samuel Johnson or Shakespeare or somebody) once said "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel," 99% of the people who discuss patriotism will parrot that well-worn , elitist put-down and believe themselves to be both immensely intellectual and invigoratingly edgy. The quote did not tumble to Earth from Mt. Olympus or Valhalla. It was spoken by a man (Moliere or Shakespeare or someone), and thus carries no more weight than the opinion of any other mortal human being-type person.

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder."
    "Out of sight, out of mind."
    Who's the genius and who's the moron in this case? Even the Bible declares in the same chapter, "Bear ye one another's burdens," just before it adds. "Let every man bear his own burden."

So, simply because there is a snappy, cutting phrase floating around out there that can be applied to the topic at hand, that doesn't mean that the first person to slip said phrase into the conversation automatically wins the point. After all, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink," inspired the inimitable Dorothy Parker to reply, "And you can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think."

I win! PeteLeo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeteLeo
    Because Moliere (or Samuel Johnson or Shakespeare or somebody) once said "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel," 99% of the people who discuss patriotism will parrot that well-worn , elitist put-down and believe themselves to be both immensely intellectual and invigoratingly edgy.
    Why is the put-down "elitist"?

Are elites (whatever group that is exactly) inherently bad?

Banned
    vCash

Maybe not inherently "bad," but they sure as shooting are a conceited bunch.

The phrase is regularly trotted out by the insufferable, self-ordained "intellectually cool" crowd to make fun of any Average Joe who dares show any affection (or -- jeeze! -- LOVE) for his country simply because it's where he was born and now lives. Certainly, there are a lot of opportunistic sleezeballs who co-opt outward "patriotism" for their own devices, but there are also plenty of decent and non-Fascist men and women who still feel a legitimate tug at their hearts when they hear the National Anthem or see an unfurled flag. A lot of "ordinary" blood was spilled just so these uppercrust posers remain free to mock that flag (or burn it or deficate on it).

The concept applies to a wide spectrum of beliefs, however. "First, kill all the lawyers" (Shakespeare), "Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast" (Congreve), "Poetry is the eloquence of truth" (Campbell), "Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old he will not depart from it" (Proverbs), "Every dog must have his day" (Swift), "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, welthy, and wise" (well-known wine-hog and bed-hopper Franklin), "There is no great genius free from some tincture of madness" (Seneca), "And virtue is her own reward" (Prior), "Woman's natural mission is to love, to love but one, to love always" (Michelet), "Men are born with two eyes but with one tongue, in order that they should see twice as much as they say" (Colton), "Knowledge is power" (Bacon), "A little learning is a dangerous thing" (Pope), "The good needs fear no law" (Massinger, Middleton, and Rowley), "Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools" (Napoleon), and on and on. They're all well-phrased and embued with a portion of truth, but none of them is ALL of the truth.

To grind another axiom into the ground, there are two sides to every story (at least two). One scathing quotation is seldom sufficient to address every side of a topic, no matter how witty it makes the speaker feel. "Patriotism is the the last refuge of a scoundrel"? Maybe sometimes, but not every time. If a person said it, it's just as likely to be wrong as right. PeteLeo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Frank
    I'm missing your point, Enswell, as the thread began with a discussion of English errors.

Relative to GorDoom's early comment about "towards," another would be "anyways." Seems educated people say the correct "anyway," and the less educated blow it with "anyways." That one seems usually to correlate with education level, I've found.

There was no point. Just screwing around.Maybe I need a hobby.

Administrator
    vCash

Came across this site today.
    http://www.ruminations.com/

Banned
    vCash

For the Love of God, Paris Hilton, who's never filled her own gas tank a day in her life, makes a video and gives economic advice to sen Mccain and insults his age?!!! The media can't get enough of this. Its on every "news" channel. Would somebody, anybody, please stand up and say this is complete fluff garbage and I refuse to dignify it by reporting it. As for insulting McCain, what that man went thru, I think she's in for some serious backlash.

Banned
    vCash

What's with the frigging three minute wait time between posts on this site? I understand that your average buffer zone is to keep certain morons from posting "I know you are, but what am I?" ninety or a hundred times in sequence, but three minutes?

I gots places to go and things to do, baby. Three total minutes is like . . . twice as long as a minute and a half. PeteLeo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyfan
    tv shows that give you previews of whats comming up after the commercial. I'm watching the damn show, I'll see what happens, i don't need a preview of what i'm about to see. Also, back from commercial they need to do a recap of the last minute before going to commercial. just an annoying ploy to make 45 minutes out of 30 minutes, then add 15 minutes of commercials and you have an hour long show.
    The FOX network is notroious for this and i hate it.

Banned
    vCash

Is this damned U.S. Open tennis tournament almost over . . . or does it run until sometime after the 2012 Olympics? PeteLeo.

vCash

Two more on proper English:

- Writing "it's" as a possessive, when the correct word for the possessive use is "its." This is ONE word for which adding an apostrophe doesn't make it possessive! "It's" means "it is."

- Use of the word "anyways." It should be "anyway."

vCash

I only have an issue with poor grammar when it corrupts understanding of the intended message.

Certainly, the incorrect use of the contraction "It's" or the possessive "Its" doesn't get me into a twist.

If someone inadvertently wrote "It's coat was nice and shiny" I certainly don't read it as "It is coat was nice and shiny" and think, wtf? The brain has a nice auto correct mechanism for such small pickings.

At any rate, the rules for proper English are not entirely uniform or logical - like, say, math. Might it not be just as logical to arbitrarily deem "Its" as the contraction (making it an exception to the contraction rule) and "It's" as the possessive (making it fall into line with the possessive rule)?

Anyways, just my opinion.

Administrator
    vCash

Just keep in mind: It's a wise dog that scratches its own fleas.

My own pet peeve deals with the incorrect placement of the word "only", so if someone writes --

Poems are made by fools like me
    But God can only make a tree

I do go WTF!

vCash

Mike

No arguments re misplaced modifiers. They will definitely screw up the intended message.

vCash

Mike D. -- how right you are, brother! "Only" is misplaced ALL the time, in speech and print, as it is in your poem.

PD99 -- clever point about arbitrarily changing the rule for "it's." Personally, because I was taught that there's usually a right and a wrong way concerning English grammer and diction, I try to use the right way, as people who know better will recognize the difference. Then there are the people who don't know better. And of course, those who don't care . . .

Banned
    vCash

Spell Check Police get up in arms about RBI's too!

Aoccdrnig to rseerach at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

PS: Hwo'd yuo lkie to run tihs by yuor sepll ckehcer?

Hwak

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeLisa
    Just keep in mind: It's a wise dog that scratches its own fleas.

My own pet peeve deals with the incorrect placement of the word "only", so if someone writes --

Poems are made by fools like me
    But God can only make a tree

I do go WTF!
    This could be grammatically correct. Perhaps the only thing God can do IS make a tree...

Anyway back to PP's; anyone who refers to themselves in the 3rd person just sets me off! Why you arrogant little ^&%*! Often sports personalities, politicians. My most annoying favorites? Mediocre/hack actors describing their role: "Milt Johnson is a doctor, saddened over his wife's death, yet dedicated to preserving life, blah, blah..." Hey pal, I've seen some of your other 'work', you ain't even an actor!

Banned
    vCash

PeteLeo agrees complicitly. PeteLeo.

vCash

I love people that refer to themselves in the 3rd person, if for no other reason for sheer entertainment value.

"Jimmy likes you"

"George is gettin' upset."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TKO11
    I love people that refer to themselves in the 3rd person, if for no other reason for sheer entertainment value.

"Jimmy likes you"

10-8 agrees.

vCash

Okay, I do have one.

People who, when relating an overheard conversation, present the alternating dialogue with "He goes...." and then "She goes...." instead of "He ....said" and then "She said...."

Before you know it, everyone is GONE.

Re Hwak's post. A cunning stunt. Perfectly exemplified what I referred to as the brain's auto correct mechanism.

Anyone up for "Haitch" v "Aitch"?

Administrator
    vCash

Well, "he goes" is slightly better than "he be like"

Example --

"After three beers he be like drooling and shit worse than Bucket!"

Banned
    vCash

PD

I lifted it. I can't take credit for writing it. Only for sharing it.

First time I saw it, I didn't stumble once.

Thought it was kind of neat.

Especially as it pertains to the Spell Check King......Me.

Hawk

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TKO11

"Jimmy likes you"

Cliff, I actually saw the Seinfield rerun a few days ago. Kramer's goofy grin when Torme is singing to him almost knocked me off the couch...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PD99
    Okay, I do have one.

People who, when relating an overheard conversation, present the alternating dialogue with "He goes...." and then "She goes...." instead of "He ....said" and then "She said...."
    What I see more commonly used for "said", even than "goes," is: "I was like."

"She was like, 'how are you'? And I was like, 'I feel great.' "

Alternatively to "goes" for "said," I have often heard uneducated folks use the word "said" for an action verb--just the reverse of PD99's example. Ex: describing a schoolyard fight: "He said Bip, the other guy said SNAP."

+ Reply to Thread