Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valuev vs. McCline Results & Discussion

Banned
    vCash

Valuev vs. McCline Results & Discussion

Don't read this if you can get a delayed tape of the bout and want to find out the results later.

Valuev TKO 3 McCline. Rather nondescript fight overall; McCline slipped and injured his left knee too badly to continue in the third. PeteLeo.

vCash

Re: SPOILER: Valuev-McCline

And to think...a couple more bouts and several people will be trying to claim that Valuev has beat Rocky Marciano's undefeated streak!

vCash

did he slip on the ads??

Banned
    vCash

Actually, according to accounts, McCline hurt his knee while still on his feet -- probably tore ligaments -- and then fell to the canvas. There's a picture on fightnews of him being carried from the ring, and his face is, as they say, contorted in agony. He also said this will probably be his last fight. PeteLeo.

vCash

Smells like Primo Carnera to me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HE Grant
    Smells like Primo Carnera to me.
    Maybe but maybe not. These things happen in contact sports.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Boxing Roundup

How the hell do you miss a punch thrown at a 7-ft, 330-lb gargantuan?

Administrator
    vCash

He fell visibly awkward & this was not the first time he has hurt his knee. It was unfortunate for him as it was the first round he was winning. I don't know how the fight would have played out but it's hard to put any faith in McCline as he has shown repeatedly that he has the physical tools to get it done but not much else.

After 2 very boring rounds of both fighters throwing weak, pawing jabs (which I had Valuev winning based on having a beat more of a pulse), they both decided to step up the pressure. Valuev began to commit more to the jab & McCline finally decided to show some aggression in retaliation. McCline threw some nervous combinations in spots & began to land more often on the slower Valuev. At the very end of the round, McCline threw an off balance left hook & right hand where Valuev counter-swatted with a right hand that was not hard but it was enough to help push McCline over on a leg he was already off balance on.

McCline seemed way too content for the fight to end for someone who really needed a win & was getting a gift of a last shot at a title IMO. It just shows me he never expected to win anyway. I"m glad he is retiring.

vCash

Is this what they mean when they say, "Break a leg"?

vCash
    BOXING ROUNDUP
    Valuev quickly retains title
    From the Associated Press

January 21, 2007

Nikolai Valuev retained the World Boxing Assn. heavyweight title Saturday night at Basel, Switzerland, when American challenger Jameel McCline collapsed in the third round after injuring his left knee.

McCline missed a swing at the 7-foot Russian and fell to the canvas as he tore ligaments in his kneecap. He tried unsuccessfully to stand up several times.

"He was in terrible pain, literally screaming," said Scott Hirsch, McCline's manager. "He thought he was fighting well. What a crazy end to a fight."

Billed as the biggest title fight in history by the promoters, the 6-foot-6 McCline tipped the scales at 268 pounds and the unbeaten Russian at 322 pounds.

"He is a big man and it's very important for a 120-kilo [260-pound] man to keep his balance, but he couldn't," Valuev said.

McCline rocked Valuev with a hard left in the first round and they traded a lot of blows, although Valuev appeared to be gaining the upper hand.

"It's terrible the way this ended, but it could have been worse," Valuev said. "I got used to his style. If this injury hadn't happened, I would have knocked him out by the sixth or seventh round."

McCline (38-7-3, 23 knockouts), was carried out on a stretcher, than taken to a hospital. Before that, his corner propped him on a stool in the ring to say a few words.

"I'm disappointed. I will remember this my whole life," McCline said.

The 36-year-old from West Palm Beach, Fla., lost his third title bout. In 2002, he was stopped in the 10th round by Wladimir Klitschko in a World Boxing Organization fight. Two years later, he lost a close decision to Chris Byrd in an International Boxing Federation title shot.

The 33-year-old Valuev (46-0, 33 KOs) made his third defense after winning the title with a close decision against John Ruiz in December 2005.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    He fell visibly awkward & this was not the first time he has hurt his knee. It was unfortunate for him as it was the first round he was winning. I don't know how the fight would have played out but it's hard to put any faith in McCline as he has shown repeatedly that he has the physical tools to get it done but not much else.

After 2 very boring rounds of both fighters throwing weak, pawing jabs (which I had Valuev winning based on having a beat more of a pulse), they both decided to step up the pressure. Valuev began to commit more to the jab & McCline finally decided to show some aggression in retaliation. McCline threw some nervous combinations in spots & began to land more often on the slower Valuev. At the very end of the round, McCline threw an off balance left hook & right hand where Valuev counter-swatted with a right hand that was not hard but it was enough to help push McCline over on a leg he was already off balance on.

McCline seemed way too content for the fight to end for someone who really needed a win & was getting a gift of a last shot at a title IMO. It just shows me he never expected to win anyway. I"m glad he is retiring.
    Give the man a break. He did hurt his knee and he did try to stand on it when Coyle told his corner that he would lose if he did not continue. As I understand it his kneecap was displaced and ligaments torn.

vCash

Agreed. What a let down for McCline. Despite his short comings, i thought he had a way better shot at making an argument down the stretch than Barrett et al.

I still wait to see Valuev really tested. Anyone think the undersized White Tyson can do anything in April? If not, Valuev will be 47-0 !!!

Administrator
    vCash

Chagaev beat Ruiz a bit more convincingly than Ruiz beat Valuev, so it should be interesting. Has Valuev ever faced a southpaw?

vCash

Chagaev's style looks good vs short guys who stay close like Ruiz, but vs tall guys with long straight punches he flounders. Most at ringside had him losing to the slow as molasses but hard hitting Vladimir Virchis.

However, Chagaev's stamina vs Ruiz was the best I've seen it, and his southpaw style should give him some opportunities to stun the giant. He better be active though, b/c his usual ponderous method of walking down guys is not going to work in this fight. I favor Valuev but he could lose a close decision if the judges are not corrupt (which is doubtful). Chagaev has some pop but despite his nickname is not a true KO artist a la Peter, Klitschko, Brewster etc.

Administrator
    vCash

Here's the last round of Valuev-McCline: LINK

vCash

This Valuev guy seems to get a lot of luck. Donald and Ruiz appear to outpoint him, but the judges say no. Nobles and McCline try and make an argument of things and strange things happen to them. Not saying any of it is Valuevs fault obviously, but its like some mystical force is trying to preserve Valuev to 49-0.............

Registered User of Colorful Quips
    vCash

Re: Boxing Roundup

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeLisa
    How the hell do you miss a punch thrown at a 7-ft, 330-lb gargantuan?
    *LOL* Priceless, Mike. Absolutely priceless.
    Shawn

vCash

49-0 geez. I hope the ghost of Rocky Marciano stomps his march to that record and soon.

vCash

Is he sitting on his stool while the ref counts McCline out? Is that permitted?

Photos of a Valuev fight always look like stills from an old sci-fi picture called "The Prehistoric Man" or "The Colossus" or something like that.

vCash

I watched the last round. Thanks for the link.

McCline wasn't doing anything anyway. You could see that Valuev was going to keep walking him down and pounding on him.

vCash

Looking at the tape, based on his fittness and the boxing style he has (useful) and the current crop, I still think this guy is going to be tuff to beat. Injuries fighting him do not surprise. Its hard to move with a big guy like this. Its hard to box him and not get wore out. Chageev should be a better test, but at his height, its going to be a long nite for Ruslan.

vCash

>>>49-0 geez. I hope the ghost of Rocky Marciano stomps his march to that record and soon.<<<

Well, he has already failed to match Marciano with the No Contest, so even though his promoter will try to milk it as beating Marciano's 49-0 fact is Valuev already has a blemish!

vCash

That went into the books as a TKO loss for McCline.

If a fighter falls and can't get up that's his problem. Fight's over. You lose.

Banned
    vCash

According to BoxRec, Valuev was in a No Contest with Andreas Sidon in '99. Don't know what the particulars are behind that result, however. PeteLeo.

vCash

Was this fight shown on network t.v or the Fox channel?
    I didnt see it listed for any of the cable channels.
    Someone is screwing up big time by not marketing attraction
    of seeing Valuev fight.
    Personally Im tired of seeing on the pay channels like Showtime ,little guys (with little fists)I never even heard of ,fight other little guys I even heard less of.
    I did see a rerun of the classic movie
    THE HARDER THEY FALL starring Humphrey Bogart,over the weekend.
    He has a line concerning promoting Toro Moreno.
    "Take him to out to California,they like freak attractions there".

vCash

Kirk Johnson severly hurt his leg when he was knocked down in a fight couldnt get back up and ruled a TKO about a year ago.
    The commentator interviwed him while he was lying on the canvas in the ring.It looked ridiculous.
    Also Derrick Jefferson was TKO when he fell,and I believe Michael Grant to hurt his ankle when Jammel MccLine knocked him down could not continue.

Administrator
    vCash

I never disputed McCline's injury. I'm sure it was legit. I was just commenting on the fact when he sat on his stool, his face lit up like he had just won publishing's clearing house. The grimaces didn't come later until he was mobilized. All I know is I would have been pissed as hell if it were me at my last stand (which was a gift). He was a bit too content for my taste IMO.

Those type of injury losses are the most anticlimatic.

vCash

I like the fact US TV and turning their nose up at these hideous supposed heavyweight "world title" fights.

Kirk Johnsons loss has been voided as the journeymen stepped on his foot or something. Its seems unfair to lose on an accident.

I've seen Valuev shaken up by Nobles, and didn't light hitting Barrett steady him in the 1st rd?

+ Reply to Thread