Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayorga vs. Vargas Predictions & Discussion

10i01

Re: Fernando Vargas To Retire After Bout

What took Vargas this long to retire? He was a clown and a poser. What a joke. I'm happy to know he was ktfo 2 times by Tito and Oscar. How can I forget Shane too.

vCash

KO'd by the three best fighters in and around his weight. Fought a vicous Trinidad when he was only 23 and in his 20th pro fight.

Yeah, What a poser.

10i01

Look man, Vargas talked about all of those horse shit but couldn't walk the way he talked. He claimed more than he can ever accomplish in 100 lifetimes. What do you call that? It's called posing.

He fought yeah but he sure always found a way to lose (and get ktfo at that). So what if he did fight the best in and around hes weight - Gatti did the same. Now Gatti never posed but he never talked so more than he can chew. Let's accept the fact that Vargas was all hype and posing that he actually was.

Fernando was over hyped he was over valued and thats why hes a poser. He never did what he (claimed) was supposed to do.

Fuck Vargas. He was a lousy charlatan and a clown and a fake act

vCash

Hey that is your opinion and you are entitled.

But you can't deny Vargas fought his heart out with the best around and always gave a great fight. HIs chin was always his down side but he never shyed away from a challenge that is all you can expect a true fighter to do. You win some, you lose some. He does hold great wins over ike Quartey, when he was still a very solid top-tier fighter, and in a war I might add. He also holds a win over Winky Wright.
    And he fought his ass off against Oscar Delahoya and Felix Trinidad...those fights were wars before he was KO'd.

He talked smack and he backed it up by fighting his ass off inthe ring. I for one respect that.

I always find it unfair to denegrate a fighter when they give us so much in the ring for our own entertainment. And I find especially unfair when they give us so much, as Vargas certainly did. He wasn't the best aeound, but he was definately a fighter with alot of heart that put it out there on numerous occasions.
    Last edited by ricky; 03-23-2007 at 06:27 PM.

Roberto Aqui

Re: Boxers Mayorga and Vargas clash

Mayorga is gonna end up as a transvestite prostitute after boxing, mark my words.

Vargas should have enough to take him, but his confidence was shaken because he foolishly starved himself down to 154 for Mosely fights. They made him some money, but Mosely may have ruined him, enough that Mayorga could land a lucky one.

Still, I'll go with Vargas.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 10i01
    Fernando was over hyped he was over valued and thats why hes a poser. He never did what he (claimed) was supposed to do.
    Vargas was thrown to the wolves early and competed in a very tough era. Winky Wright, Ike Quartey, Felix Trinidad, Oscar Delahoya, and Shane Mosley are stellar on a resume. No shame in falling a notch short of a Trinidad, Delahoya or Mosley.

He talks a big game but win or lose he comes to fight. No one can hold that against him.

I'm just happy to see two opponents with the passion to actually despise each other. Let's see this carry over to the actual fight and it will make all the trash talk worthwhile.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Mayorga-Vargas Prefight Press and Predictions

Vargas was in a handful of very re-watchable fights, fought the best out there and came to fight every time. Can't ask more than that from him. Vargas may not have always conducted himself like a gentleman outside the ring but he was a good entertainer in the ring.

I always thought Vargas was thrown to the wolves a bit early too but thats the biz sometimes. As much as this fight means less than nothing, its bound to be pretty watchable.

I just read somewhere that he said he had to come down from 264 for one of his last fights. I highly doubt that weight but from the pics I've seen I believe he could have been over 200 easily.

Vargas has looked so dreadfully slow & mechanical in the last few years that I think he will have trouble staying out of danger. Judged by the way he's handled punches in those fights, I don't have much faith in him dealing with Mayorga's shots...then again, Mayorga has not shown much pop outside of welter so who knows. Vargas needs to survive the early rounds to have a shot since it seems Mayorga really does not carry his power late.

Years ago I would have never picked against Vargas but he seems a bit too spent to handle Mayorga now. Mayorga himself has been on the bad end of 2 hellacious beatings too now & that could have an effect him at some point if things aren't going his way. If Vargas does get out of those early rounds without getting too roughed up, Mayorga could be in trouble later.

vCash

what weight are they fighting at?

hard to believe this thread has been up since dec. 06 and won't happen until sept. this year.....hope its worth the wait. i don't see it as a competitive fight...more of an execution. i just have not decided who it is gets the ax. whoever is the most washed up i guess.....great pretense for viewing a fight. they have both recently received severe beatings so that point is pick-em....neither is a known saint on the streets but i have to give mayorga the edge in that decline.... yeah...great fight for the sport of boxing...just what it needs.
    greg

Administrator
    vCash

Mayorga plans to head back to welter after this fight.

Roberto Aqui

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    Mayorga plans to head back to welter after this fight.
    Jail is the more likely destination.

Administrator
    vCash

He'll probably compete better in jail than in welter. Either way he won't have many viewers. How many more times can this guy get torn apart by upper end fighters?

vCash

Mayorga knocks him out. Vargas has been shot for years.

vCash

Vargas is a tough son of a gun with cojones the size of melons. He had the guts to get in there with a monster like Tito in his 21st fight. Experience wise Vargas was just a baby and he still gave Tito a tough fight. If you guys remember Tito considered retirement briefly after his fight with Vargas... I recently watched that fight again and cant believe how badly beaten Vargas was by the end. I always thought he was shot after that fight. He kept fighting even though he was completely defensless in the 12th round.

Vargas fought on and gave DLH and Mosley tough fights. To call him a posuer is stupid. I wish more fighters were posuers like Vargas and give it all they got instead sleepwalking through fights like so many fighters do today.

vCash

I believe this is a link to the press conference

http://www.pound4pound.com/Videos/20...Conference.wmv

vCash

at this point in the careers of both of these guys the odds are pretty high that one or both is about to fold like a cheap suit. this fact , to me , makes the authors opening sentence sound like he is on the promoters pay roll. so shame on me...i ain't gonna blow 50 bucks on this one anymore than i would on b-hop-wink.

the promotions need to improve or the prices need to drop drastically...i just ain't gonna do it no mo!!

greg

vCash

Their personalities and styles make for a great fight, past their primes as they are. I had a lot of fun with the video of the press conference. Mayorga knows how to get under your skin and he's definitely under Vargas' skin now. He knows what buttons to push and Fernando was visible furious. If you understand spanish you probably also had some fun with heated verbal exchange between the two.

Maybe not the fight boxing needs but this is going to attract some major spanish speaking public, just because of their personalities and recognizable names.

At the end, when these guys retire, I know that if these guys never fought each other I'd be very dissapointed.

vCash

You can stick a fork in Vargas, he's done.

vCash

Any thoughts on how good Mayorga could have been? That is if he didn't wing his punches and use his head as his defense.

Administrator
    vCash

Tough guy but mediocre at best skill wise.

vCash

I expect this to be a pretty entertaining scrap. Two past their prime but fairly evenly matched Super-Machismo fighters. At first I automatically favored the naturally bigger and better schooled-fighter Vargas, but then I remember how awful Vargas looked in his last fight, and I actually thought Mayorga looked pretty decent vs Oscar even thought it was pretty one-sided . . he gave Oscar some hard shots and showed good handspeed. I'm actually pulling for Ricardo in this one too b/c I can stand his Central American brand of thuggery (which often seems like a lot of tongue in cheek to me) more than Vargas's super-emotional So-Cal macho attitude that I always hated in his prime.

$50 though? Forget it.

vCash

Does anybody out there still get jazzed up over this fight-hyping horseshit?

vCash

You have to admit it's entertaining. Maybe not enough to get people hyped up for the fight, but fun to watch when it's guys like Vargas and Mayorga. It fits them and you know what your going to get.
    Personnaly I don't feel Mayorga will be effective at 162 lbs., which is the agreed to weight. He was a hell of a welterweight. SInce moving up his mobilty and abilty to brawl have suffered. I see this fight being good while it lasts, and Mayorga will certainly be dangerous the first couple of rounds. But Vargas should be able to move well enough ealry on and pick his shots. I see him countering the slower winging punches of Mayorga and taking him out around the sixth of a highly enteretaining fight.

vCash

hey rickey.....i left you a message in your pm box.
    greg

vCash

I'd watch it if it were for free on HBO but to pay PPV, not a shot.

I say Mayorga flattens him ... a bad match up for Fernando ...

vCash

There is a rumour that the fight is off.

Banned
    vCash

Looks like this one is going to be postponed at least. Vargas has just been examined and found to be suffering from iron-deficiency anemia. PeteLeo.

vCash

I wish Vargas had retired years ago. Tito ruined him for good and I don't mean just in the ring. That and his other health issues should be enough for anyone to see that he is past it by a long shot and not even thirty yet , sad.

Banned
    vCash

Re: Mayorga vs. Vargas -- Postponed

I wonder if Vargas will employ the anemia condition to explain any previous disappointing ring appearances? PeteLeo.

vCash

his performance against mosely in their second fight could certainly be described as anemic.
    greg

vCash

All that I can say about this fight is that you got to be "_ _ _ _ _ _" kidding me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast