Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mayorga vs. Vargas Predictions & Discussion

A shed in someones backyard in London, England
    vCash

Re: Mayorga vs. Vargas

Vargas is headed for trouble I fear....

vCash

Re: Mayorga vs. Vargas Predictions

many experts along with the Las Vegas oddsmakers are overwhelmingly picking Vargas, most by stoppage, the higher weight and Mayorgas track record of late probably have a lot to do with that, but, regardless of the higher weight we have to take these points into account,

Vargas was starched twice by Mosley who along with Mayorga was moving up from welter, where he, (Mosley) was not a very big puncher, (couldn't put a dent in De La Hoya, Forrest, Collazo or Cotto)

on the other hand, Mayorga was a devestating puncher at welter who stopped Forrest, (although admittedly did not do much before or after, oh yea six heads lewis knockout was immpressive at the time but not in retrospect) certainly Mayorgas power has to be taken as a serious threat, (hell even a washed up Wilredo Rivera, also a welterweight, was able to drop Vargas in Vargas' first fight after the Trinidad disaster)

with all of that said I still don't really give two shits about the fight and definitely won't waste my money on it, but it could be interesting,

Mayorga by KO around the middle rounds of a sloppy slugfest.

vCash

Re: Mayorga vs. Vargas Predictions

also, Vargas has looked like shit, win or lose in every fight since the Trinidad disaster.

Banned
    vCash

Re: Mayorga beats Vargas by decision

I guess the undercard delivered proof that Cintron isn't a threat to Pretty Boy, Williams, or any other opponent with a pulse. PeteLeo.

vCash

Re: Mayorga beats Vargas by decision

Saw the card.

Karmazin v. Garcia. Garcia went down in 1st from left hook to the body. A couple rounds later, a four punch combination sent him down again - left hook to the body, right to head, and those two punches repeated again. I think it was the hook to the body that did the real damage. The referee could have counted to 20 and he wasn't getting up. Karmazin too quick and strong, and Garcia is basically a B level fighter with a padded record who can't take a punch and doesn't belong in these fights.

Cintron v. Feliciano - Interesting fight really. Cintron nailed Feliciano with clean hard punches throughout - and guess what - Feliciano didn't budge. The guy kept coming, throwing slow powder puff arm punches with almost nothing on them, but kept throwing them almost nonstop - and landing quite often. Cintron has absoluetly zero inside game. Feliciano demonstrated enough inside game and just enough defense and pressure that it really threw Kermit off - missing a lot, fighting only in spurts, and getting hit a lot. When Cintron finally started listening to Emanuel Steward and using his legs, his superiority was clear from the outside, but when he stopped moving and allowed Feliciano to outwork him on the inside, he was getting hit quite often, especially with the right uppercut. Cintron is quite hittable.

I felt that based on how well Feliciano was taking Kermit's punches throughout the fight, the stoppage was a bit premature, but Cintron did hit Feliciano with a number of clean and solid punches in combination that had Feliciano a bit stunned. But I really think Feliciano's legs were still there. He wasn't even going backwards and wasn't even on the ropes. Cintron rolled around on the ground afterwards and acted like he had hurt his hand or something.

Prior to this fight, I thought Cintron had enough power to give Paul Williams something to think about, and he still might, but the problem he will have with Williams is that Paul is southpaw, can throw nonstop (keeps a way better pace than Cintron), has height and reach, and a whole lot more pop than Feliciano, and excellent conditioning, much better than Cintron. So, don't be surprised if Cintron finds a way out of that fight. Personally, I think Paul Williams is THE best welterweight in the world, and that includes Floyd Mayweather.

Vargas v. Mayorga - Vargas was a mere shell of himself. He looked shot. Slow and lethargic, with a minimal punch output, very little fire or zip, and his chin is just gone. That said, he still tried and actually made it competitive throughout, especially during the middle rounds. But the youg Vargas would have easily picked Mayorga apart. I have to credit Mayorga for showing up in much better shape than he has as of late. He had his bad rounds, but always came back. He showed more passion, more combinations, better punch output, bettter speed than Fernando, and his chin did not give out. That said, he beat a guy who was basically done for, so he shone in part because of what he was in there with. Vargas is still much technically sounder, and picks his punches better than the occasionally wild and amateurish Mayorga, but this fight was won with physical condition and sharpness and superior chin.

Mayorga was able to deck Fernando in the 1st with a wild nonstop flailing of punches, as Fernando was too defensive and cautious, covering up - his head down as a right came over the top and knocked him off his feet. He again decked him late in the fight with a flash knockdown because Fernando pulled away with his legs square and his head up in the air - again the right hand - Mayorga's most effective weapon, doing the trick. Mayorga continually landed his right hand counter punch off of Fernando's slow jab.

Mayorga occasionally had him hurt enough that Fernando would move around and play defense and do enough to play it off, but not enough to win the round. Mayorga often won rounds with greater activity level, and Fernando not wanting to engage too much, or being too slow to do so.

Mayorga occasionally had his spots where his defense went to pieces, and he got hit with a lot of right hands to the body and head, and he also had rounds where you thought maybe he was finally hitting the wall from all his activity, and Fernando would start hitting him. However, Fernando simply could not keep it up on a consistent basis. Vargas was slow on his feet, and could not pick up gears very often in order to take greater advantage of his good moments, and so Mayorga would regroup.

A decent and interesting fight between two B guys who cannot beat an A fighter, at least not at this point in their careers.
    Last edited by apollack; 11-24-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Mayorga vs. Vargas Predictions & Discussion

Thanks for the recap, Adam.

vCash

Will the Mayorga v Vargas fight be televised on cable, if anyone knows when and where please post it.

Thanks,
    Ron

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    Will the Mayorga v Vargas fight be televised on cable, if anyone knows when and where please post it.

Thanks,
    Ron
    December 1st. on ESPN Classic.

Administrator
    vCash

The first six rounds are on YouTube:

Rounds 13

Rounds 46

vCash

Thank you gentleman.

Ron

vCash

I saw the first three rounds and it was very apparant that Vargas truly was a shell of his former self. I disagree with the first round knockdown being called, and the announcer mistakenly refered to it as a standing 8 count instead of a mandatory 8 count received. These announcers know nothing about boxing, just amazing. Vargas received several rabbit punches and he was knocked more off balance than anything, in the old days of MSG it would not have been called a legit knockdown. Despite all his training Vargas' body looked so out of shape to me and Mayorga was ripe for the plucking with his wild shots the way DLH and Tito got to him. He is a strong Juan Roldan type of guy though.

Raul Caiz Sr, kept breaking them so damn slowly, lecturing them so slowly he impeded the action by not getting out from between them quick enough and stepping forward between them then taking his time to back up. No commentary ever on this kind of refereeing, just amazing.

Administrator
    vCash

All I can take away from what I saw is, Cintron better have had a hurt right the entire fight or he is in big trouble next time he steps up. That was by far the worst I have ever seen out of Cintron (I consider Margarito a non-effort). I have to give some credit to Feliciano but I can't help but think that the better boxers of the division would make for much easier & shorter work of him.

Vargas went out on his shield in the most calculated way he could have. His legs looked like jello from round 1. Very sad. Mayorga would have been carved apart in Vargas' best days. The KDs were mostly due to terrible balance. Mayorga did have Vargas stung a few times but Vargas hung in there bravely and retaliated. Vargas had some pretty good moments in the fight himself but he could not maintain the attack he needed to wear down Mayorga & get him out of there. Mayorga for all his faults comes to fight in shape (most of the time) & takes a great shot. Mayorga has no place in any division other than $ fights like this IMO. His act is older than old now & this proves nothing other than he can beat a corpse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123