Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LACY vs. REID PREFIGHT, PREDICTIONS, PRESS, RESULTS, DISCUSSION

GorDoom
    Messy 2nd round .. Lotsa grappling etc. I guess I give this one to Lacy also.

GD

pendleton23

Re: Lacy-Reid and Wht to skip tarver-Jones on PPV

If reid comes to fight and not just for the payday then Reid knocksout Lacy by the 10th.

GorDoom
    In the first minute of the 2rd round Lacy hit Reid below the belst. After a short rest Reid came back to get hammered the last 2 minutes or so of the round.

GD

GorDoom
    Lacy powerd Reid around in the 4th. He's starting take over.

GD

GorDoom
    Lacy KD's Reid twice & really takes over. I'm gonna just enjoy the fight & give youse the result unless something untoward happens.

GorDoom

pendleton23
    That first knockdown was bs.The refree went to break them and Lacy hit Ried.Horrible refree.

GorDoom
    Lacy blasts Reid to the canvas in the 7th & gets yp shakily at "9". Reid doesn't answer the bell for the 8th.

Fight over ...

pendleton23
    Robin Reid has the heart of a lion.I think Lacy would have won but that first knock-down was horrible.And it changed the fights complexion.

GorDoom
    Yada, Yada yada .... Lacy is simply the best man in his division. I've always liked Reid but tonight he was done in by a better man/fighter

GorDoom

pendleton23
    I'm not saying Reid was going to prevail.But if the refree stops the action and the other boxer clocks his opponent thats a foul.And this protect yourself at all times is bs.When the refree says stop you stop.Simple as that.

Rafael
    Russ Anber (the Canadian trainer who has a boxing TV show on TSN), stated last week "watch for those shots to the back of the head by Lacy," and ditto. He also pointed out that referees let him do it with impunity (one if the KD's tonight was after two consecutive shots to the back of the head). These are dangerous shots, because even if they are not hard, they are more likely to stun you since they impact close to the brain stem. Whoever fights Lacy in the future will have to make a case with the ref in the pre-fight meeting to watch for these illegal shots.

Daddymofo
    protecting yourself at all times in definatly not bs. and reid seemed way more content to bitch, piss and moan and look to the ref like he was his momma. Had reid been more concerned with paying attention to fighting lacy (instead of grappeling, holding, head butting etc.), he'd have been in better shape. the truth is he got completely dominated in every facet of the fight and he had no answer for anything Lacy was bringing; Reids corner knew it, thats why they stopped the fight. It was a late punch, but those are the breaks, and in no way takes away from Lacy's performance.

pendleton23
    Lacy was very impressive but he broke THE RULES.The Refree had stopped the action to deduct a point and Lacy punched Reid.That is called a foul regardless of how you look at it.And the refree was horrible.

StingerKarl
    Jeff sure looked sharp; and I think brother Calzaghe better start training now.
    Lacy took charge and drove a good fighter through the floor tonight.
    Karl

pendleton23
    I have never liked Calazage but it would be a great match up between with Lacy.i hope they make that bout.

bomma
    I agree with pendleton that ref was horrible. It doesn't say protect yourself after the ref calls time. To me it does take away from Lacy's performance, because he totaly dominated that fight but because of the refs poor performance it draws attention away from the performance. I know you guys are going to kill me for saying it but that is how I feel. I don't like it when they do that kind of sh-t in England and I don't like when they do it here. When a guy is fighting in front of his home town the ref should have to be from another city at the least to stop this kind of bullsh-t. Anyway Lacy looks extremely powerful haven’t seen such effective aggression inside since a young Tyson and I think he would stop Calzacie (spell?) but some how I don't think that fight will come off, nothing in Calzacie's past has shown he has the guts to take this fight. Somehow I don't think it will happen ether Calzacie will lose his next fight or he will find some reason to pull out.

diggity1
    Lacy is still very hittable for a guy like Calzaghe. Zag is a fast & unorthodox southpaw who hits like a truck. Best thing Lacy has going for him is Zag likes to square up and trade with his head up. Lacy is in a whole different realm of power with Zag, definitely not a foregone conclusion.

dnahar
    After watching Lacy impressively dominate Robin Reid (yes the first KD was ridiculous but no way Reid would have won the fight so it's a moot point), I'm psyched for Lacy-Calzaghe.

With Lacy's aggression and Calzaghe looking to make a point in his first real big fight, I can see a fight like Calzaghe had against Byron Mitchell where both unload everything they have early and one's left standing. I see it as a 50-50 fight with a KO winner and I can't wait.

Deepak

Rafael
    Calzaghe/Warren fill find a way of not making this fight. Perhaps Warren will ask for unreasonable options (like he just did with Mundine) to kill the fight and claim that Lacy is ducking his guy.

bomma
    Rafael I hope you are wrong but I don't think you are.

Chuck1052
    Even if Jeff Lacy has some rough periods in the future,
    I like seeing him in action. He comes to fight! It is
    too bad that I don't subscribe to Showtime.

- Chuck Johnston

dnahar
    At some point, Calzaghe must demand the big fight like Hatton demanded better opposition, regardless of Frank Warren. I blame Calzaghe for this slop he's fighting. These fighters have it backwards. The promoter works for you, and not the other way around. If Calzaghe is a MAN, he will step up and demand Warren make a Lacy fight or leave Warren to do it. Showtime and Lacy are waiting, and Lacy will go to Wales to make the fight.

Deepak

Rafael
    Calslappy is perfectly happy with the way Warren has steered his career. In fact, he just resigned with hin not too long ago.

Dhalgren
    Reid was dreadful. He looked completely shot to me. That's not to say Lacy didn't perform well - he did what he had to do very well, and is very exciting to watch.

As for Calzaghe, he has been wanting a big, defining fight for ages. I don't know where this stuff about him avoiding people comes from. He was willing to fight Ottke in Germany, but Ottke wanted no part of it. Aside from that there hasn't really been anyone in the division for him to fight, and Hopkins has never been interested. He'll take this fight without question.

crold1
    Gor: I don't know if I would decalre Lacy the man yet; even if he gets past Calzaghe, Mikkel Kessler looms and he and Lacy would be an amazing fight. Kessler is, with Taylor and Lacy, part of a new three headed monster of talent in the division.

diggity1
    I thought Reid looked shot also. He really didn't use his legs at all like I thought he would. Either way, it was apparent he couldn't ever hurt Lacy & Lacy was just as tenacious and powerful as usual. Lacy can appear Tyson-esque when the throws those hard shots in bunches, much like the last combo that dropped Reid. I never thought it was a question but Lacy's power should stop being questioned after droppin this guy a few times. It was nice to see Lacy throw the jab. I think with the help of Birmingham he has changed his jab from a pawing range finder to a real head snapper.

This Calzaghe fight is something I'm really geeked about. It could have been a potential fight of the year candidate had Corrales/Castillo not happened.

GorDoom
    Lacy retains title with TKO of Reid
    By Fred Goodall, The Associated Press

TAMPA — Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy was hardly distracted by fighting at home for the first time as a pro.

Spurred on by a crowd of 15,056 chanting "Lacy, Lacy, Lacy" and cheering every combination of punches, the native of nearby St. Petersburg successfully defended his IBF super middleweight title with a seven-round TKO of Robin Reid on Saturday night.

Lacy hurt the challenger repeatedly with his signature punch and knocked down the British fighter four times before Reid's trainer stopped the lopsided match before the start of the eighth round.

"I didn't take him lightly. I don't take anyone lightly," Lacy said. "I trained hard. I took it to another level."

Promoter Gary Shaw scheduled the fight in Tampa at the request of Lacy, who had always dreamed of defending a title before family, friends and fans who supported him as an amateur.

Shaw was hesitant, though, concerned that fighting at home could be a distraction for the fighter. Lacy insisted it wouldn't, and changed the voice mail greeting on his cell phone to inform callers to not bother asking him for tickets because he had none.

He did his part in the ring, too.

Reid's corner stopped the fight after Lacy hurt the former WBC super middleweight champ with a flurry of punches, then landed an uppercut that sent the challenger to his knees with about 25 seconds left in the seventh.

Reid looked to his handlers before climbing to his feet and finishing the round, holding off Lacy by lunging forward and grabbing the champion's legs.

"Robin just wasn't himself tonight. It was my decision to stop it," trainer Brian Hughes said. "I didn't want him to get hurt any more."

Lacy improved to 20-0 with 16 knockouts and also set up a possible unification bout with WBO champion Joe Calzaghe the first weekend of November in Wales.

"I'm coming for you Joe," Lacy said.

The bout at the St. Pete Times Forum was the first major fight in Tampa since Roy Jones Jr. fought Derrick Harmon at the same arena in 2001. It also was Lacy's first before hometown fans since the native of nearby St. Petersburg turned pro after the 2000 Olympics.

Reid, of England, is 38-5-1, with four of his losses coming in title fights. He disagreed with the decision to stop it.

"Of course, I wanted the fight to continue," Reid said. "I'm a fighter."

During the days leading up to the fight, the challenger complained about a lack of respect from the Lacy camp, which went as far as to present him with a T-shirt that proclaimed the 34-year-old traveled all the way to the United States "and all I got was knocked out by Jeff Lacy!"

Reid countered by showing up at Friday's weigh-in and giving the champion a plaque, attached to a belt, and bearing the words: "This Is The Only Belt You Are Taking Home Lacy."

Lacy won the vacant IBF title with an eighth-round TKO of Syd Vanderpool last October and has successfully defended the crown three times.

Lacy also retained his title with a 12-round unanimous decision over Omar Sheika last December and a seventh-round TKO over Rubin Williams on March 5 in Las Vegas.

The fight was just the third for Reid since losing a 12-round decision to Sven Ottke for the WBA and IBF super middleweight crowns on Dec. 13, 2003.

GorDoom
    Lacy Destroys Reid in Tampa; Calzaghe Next?

by JE Grant

TAMPA, Fla. (St Pete Times Forum) – Jeff “Left Hook’’ Lacy, 20-0, 1 NC, (16 KOs), Tampa, 167, won a brutal and convincing 7th round stoppage of Robin “The Grim Reaper’’ Reid (38-5-1, 27 KOs), Bolton, England, 167½, a fighter never before down or stopped.

It was all Lacy all the way. Rounds one through four saw Reid holding and clutching after tasting Lacy’s power early.*

Round five won’t go into the hall of fame for the way it was handled by referee Jorge Alonso.*

The frustrated Reid obviously committed an intentional headbutt (something he admitted after the fight) and as Alonso attempted to break the fighters, Lacy unloaded on Reid, sending him to the deck for the first time in his career. Reid was then also docked a point for the foul.

To make matters worse for Reid, he was hunted down by the ever-aggressive Lacy and put down for the second time – this time without controversy.

In round six and seven Lacy continued to dominate, dropping his foe in both rounds, with Reid also penalized a point for excessive holding.*

Following the seventh round, Reid’s corner, against his expressed wishes, stopped the bout. Reid complained after the fight but it was clear he was in trouble.

With four knockdowns of the previously steel-chinned Reid, Lacy serves notice to the division that his power is real.*

Unfortunately for Lacy, this explosive showing may make current WBO champion Joe Calzaghe, his ostensible opponent in the fall, think twice about whether their fight will happen.*

Calzaghe’s talked-about big fights with the likes of Bernard Hopkins, Glen Johnson, Antonio Tarver et al. have fizzled in the past.

The Sweet Science had the bout scored at 70-57 at the time of the stoppage.

Lacy entered the ring a favorite of many U.S. observers despite good reviews for Reid.*Pre-fight analysts saw Reid as having his best chance at capturing a victory would be to force the bout into the later rounds, using his experience.

Lacy, the younger and less experienced fighter of the two, had only wins over Omar Sheika and Syd Vanderpool on his short resume to stake his claim as a top fighter.*

Both fights were, however, very important because each of the veterans stretched him in ways that caused him to learn that his considerable power would not always be enough to get him through.

Of course Lacy also sported an extensive amateur career that included a turn in the Olympics.

Coming into the fight, Reid's ledger demonstrated a great deal of international experience including three successful title defenses of the WBC belt, 1996-97, before losing the title on a decision to Thulane Malinga.

However only his win over fringe contender Brian Magee since that time represents a significant achievement since his short WBC super middleweight tenure.*

Perhaps more impressive were his losing efforts against belt-holders Joe Calzaghe and Sven Ottke. He fought both very closely and dropped controversial decisions to each.*

Like Lacy, Reid also had Olympic experience, gaining a bronze medal in the 1992 Games in Barcelona.

GorDoom
    Lacy vs. Reid Post Fight Press Conference!

August 7, 2005

By Aaron B. Dye and Christopher P. Cook

Following IBF super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy's dominating seventh round TKO over mandatory challenger Robin Reid, the respective camps were set to address the media. The first to speak was promoter Gary Shaw. He started by congratulating Lacy on his victory before ultimately speaking on "Left Hook's" future.

"First Saturday in November, we are going to Wales and take on Joe Calzaghe [WBO super middleweight champion]. Every division has a gatekeeper. On Monday, I will be calling Frank Warren [Calzaghe's promoter]. We have the date with Showtime," Shaw revealed, before calling up Showtime executive Ken Hershman to speak on the fight.

"Wales here we come, we'll take the belt from Joe Calzaghe and show it to the rest of the world. I think he [Lacy] is going to have a long reign," Hershman said, reaffirming the possible unification match.

Shaw spoke more about Lacy's performance, praising his fighter for taking his game to a new level, "He really matured in his hometown. I had never seen him jab like that. The jab was snapping Reid's head back. And he was feinting like never before. He was feinting at least once a round, if not multiple times."

In what was the most surprising revelation during the press conference, Shaw admitted that Robin Reid and his camp had threatened to pull out of the fight just days before it was to go on. According to Shaw, Reid and his camp stated that he was out of the fight unless more money was on the table. Shaw said he reluctantly, agreed so that the fight would go on as scheduled.

Shaw continued to praise the combined effort of the local press and members of the Shaw team who made the fight possible. He appeared elated that the fight drew 15,056 at the St. Pete Times Forum, which was an arena record for boxing events [a similar event featuring Roy Jones Jr. vs. Derrick Harmon in 2001 drew around 14,000] . Shaw said, "I think we put on a great event in Tampa and we are coming back. [Regarding the deal to fight Joe Calzaghe], Calzaghe looked at Jeff in Manchester and said, 'I will take the fight.'"

After continued badgering by the press as to when Shaw planned on bringing boxing back to Tampa, Shaw answered, "After the November fight [Lacy vs. Calzaghe], and I know Jeff beats Calzaghe, if the building is available, then many Februarish. If Winky's fight doesn't come on in November on HBO, we are looking at bringing him here to Tampa December 10."

Shaw then brought Lacy trainer Dan Birmingham to speak next. "Whew, I'm glad that is over with! I would like to commend Jeff on his training. I am very proud of him. We are going to train like animals [for Joe Calzaghe].

Following Birmingham's statements, Jeff Lacy made his way into the press room among a roar of applause before sitting down to talk to the media. First out of Lacy's mouth was, "Any questions? [room laughs] I caught my second wind in the sixth, seventh round. I thought he was getting tired in the third round. We were going to establish the jab, use a lot of feints." [On how he responded to being headbutted in round five] Well, he headbutted me first...when you cross the line and headbutt. When he headbutted me, the switch turned on and I hit him. I was not going to look to the referee for help and risk getting hurt. I just wanted to hit him back. I went to another level in training camp. When they told me he had never been down, I wanted to be the first to do it."

Manager Shelly Finkel interjected and spoke on the quality of Lacy's performance. "On paper, this was his toughest test [and he passed it easily]. He is just getting better and better. The fighter I liken him most to is Evander Holyfield [Lacy's boxing hero]."

Lacy ended the press conference, briefly speaking on Joe Calzaghe and Robin Reid. "I think my performance I put on tonight spoke for itself [on what he would like to say to Joe Calzaghe]. The shirt Gary gave him [Reid], 'all he did was come to America and get knocked out by Jeff Lacy,'...we do what we say. We do what we say."

After the conclusion of the question and answer session, Lacy took more time out to sign autographs and pose for pictures, ending a successful meeting with the media.

diggity1
    ...The ref did do some questionable stuff last night though IMO it was all moot in the end anyway. Reid has always looked for the ref for help in the past and it was no surprise that he would look other places in the ring other than at his opponents (ref, winking at his corner, etc...). At the time of the first KD, Reid was busy lookin at the ref & Lacy was not. Legit for Lacy but the ref should not have ruled it a KD since he was in the middle of trying to separate the action & he was not assertive enough in separating the fighters or really at anything else IMO.

Regardless of whatever happens with Calzaghe, Lacy has tremendous upside. His height may be a slight issue when he moves up but right now IMO believe it not, he breaks down & overwhelms Tarver and would KO Johnson. Sky is the limit for someone like this in the especially considering the state of the neighboring divisions. I think Lacy will always have problems with southpaws so I see Zaghe & Tarver being his biggest threats, but not so much Tarver because he cannot fight Lacy's pace and will not be able to take his power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast