Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Morrison cleared to fight

Registered User of Colorful Quips
    vCash

Tommy Morrison cleared to fight

This article appeared on ABC.com today... as someone with HIV, I wish Morrison the best. However, I've never heard any doctors say HIV can disappear, though I have heard of false positives. (Actually had lunch with a guy who tested positive, gave him a pep talk then a month later he tested negative.)
    Shawn
    -------
    HIV Positive Boxer Cleared To Fight
    Tommy Morrison, Suspended in 1996 for Positive HIV Test, Passed a Series of Medical Exams to Receive OK to Fight
    By DAN RAFAEL

Feb. 20, 2007 Heavyweight Tommy Morrison, who was indefinitely suspended after a positive HIV test on the eve of a 1996 fight in Las Vegas, has been cleared to return to the ring after passing a battery of medical tests, Morrison told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Morrison is in Chester, W.Va., to fight on a card there Thursday night. His opponent in the four-round bout is slated to be John Castle of Indianapolis. Morrison's bout is not scheduled to be part of the Versus-televised coverage of the card.

"It's been a long time coming," Morrison told ESPN.com. "I know I didn't have [HIV] in the first place. I never had it. I believe it, but they kicked me out of the sport. Over the last two or three months, I have taken five, six different [HIV] tests and continued to pass them. It was just a matter of time before they had to let me fight again."

Official announcement is expected at a news conference Tuesday afternoon at the Mountaineer Race Track.

Top Rank, which is promoting Thursday's card, is considering signing Morrison if it is pleased with how he performs. Morrison has been training for months in Phoenix.

After his positive HIV test, Morrison boxed once more, knocking out Marcus Rhode in Japan in November 1996. Morrison (46-3-1, 40 KOs), 38, reached the pinnacle of his career with a June 1993 decision win against George Foreman to claim the vacant WBO heavyweight title.

Morrison has maintained that his positive HIV test was a false positive. In a March 1996 chat with ESPN.com, Morrison revealed that he tested positive for HIV.

Before Morrison was cleared to fight, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com he was considering getting involved in a Morrison comeback as long as he passed the appropriate medical tests.

"They've [doctors] told me it is possible for HIV to disappear and if that's the case with Tommy, why shouldn't he be able to fight," Arum told ESPN.com last month.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Registered User of Colorful Quips
    vCash

Re: Tommy Morrison cleared to fight

And here's an old article from POZ Magazine, written about a year after Morrison tested positive for HIV: http://www.poz.com/articles/242_1733.shtml

vCash

It's kind of funny. Everyone was calling him a paranoid crackpot for years because he was claiming some kind of conspiracy theory(if my memory serves me correct) and the man is clean of HIV. It makes me wonder if any of the other HIV conspiracies have any truth to them as well.
    One thing is for certain. If the photo on Fightnews was taken recently, we now have another resurgent heavyweight from the 90's who may very likely be in the heavyweight mix. He is ripped!

vCash

Banned
    vCash

I guess alcohol kills HIV, Or whatever he was injecting gave a false positive .( disclaimer- i never saw him inject anything), however i did see him at a show in NJ years ago after he had stopped boxing. He was a lot skinnier than he is now.

vCash

Is it just me, or does it look like his biceps and forearms have wasted away to nothing? Even his shoulders look narrower than they used to. In this picture all I see is pecs and abs. It looks very strange.

vCash

I know that he had biceps implants a while back. It looks like he may have had them removed.

Some of the HIV drug cocktails can do some crazy things to the arms and legs and fat stores in the body so I think that explains why his arms look so different. His torso looks quite muscular and lean.

Morrison appears to me as though he may be on a steroid regimen or two.

I don't think Morrison actually is HIV negative. I think his "viral load" may be showing up as "negative" in his blood, but that's a whole lot different than being HIV Negative.

Shawn, perhaps you can speak to this and explain it to the folks here on the board?

vCash

HIV Testing: I think he is like Magic Johnson. It is currently not detectable. Does not mean he is cured. If both went off their regimen it would probably show up in fairly short order.

vCash

Is it just me, or does it look like that head has been photoshopped onto the body? The skin isn't even the same color...(More conspiracies!!!!)

vCash

Tommy never had big biceps..they have always seemed small in comparison to the rest of his upper body.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

One salient point that everybody seems to be missing here is that the tests being conducted & the proposed fight are in West Virginia.

West Virginia DOES NOT REQUIRE blood tests to license a fighter. How the hell can they know if he's HIV free if they've NEVER conducted a blood test on him???

This is really bullshit & anybody claiming Tommy is HIV free when he hasn't had a blood test has their head up their ass. & before all you conspiracy freaks start theorising let's see the result of a Tommy Morrison BLOOD TEST before any accusations are made.

GorDoom

Administrator
    vCash

He's juicing & he looks creepy.
    Appears to be in great shape so I'll give him that. I heard many times that he stopped training all those years & now that he's appears to be pushing his body again, he's begging for injuries. Hopefully he puts up a few good fights first but I'm not holding my breath.

They don't require a test in West Virginia, but I took one anyway just to satisfy them," Morrison said. "I am going to change my nickname [from 'Duke'] to 'Hoops' because that's how many hoops I have had to jump through. I just want to pursue my dream. That is to fight. That is what God put me here to do. He didn't put me here to be a doctor or a lawyer. He put me here to fight."

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Dig:

Because he says he took one doesn't ACTUALLY mean he did. If he did, let's see it. If he's clean, end of story & good luck, Tommy. If he's not, he's jeopardising the lives of the opponent, the ref & his corner.

Tommy Morrison's career is worth squa-doosh when compared to exposing someone to a potentialy lethal infection.

GorDoom

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GorDoom
    One salient point that everybody seems to be missing here is that the tests being conducted & the proposed fight are in West Virginia.

West Virginia DOES NOT REQUIRE blood tests to license a fighter. How the hell can they know if he's HIV free if they've NEVER conducted a blood test on him???

This is really bullshit & anybody claiming Tommy is HIV free when he hasn't had a blood test has their head up their ass. & before all you conspiracy freaks start theorising let's see the result of a Tommy Morrison BLOOD TEST before any accusations are made.

GorDoom
    It has been widely reported for quite a while that Morrison has been tested several times, and it is no longer detectable.

vCash

GorDoom
    There are reports in the news that Morrison tested negative for HIV last month in Arizona. John Montano of the Arizona State Boxing Commission witnessed the blood testing process, and he turned the results over to some medical authority.

The following was in a news article today:

"Dr. Jeff Kirchner of the American Academy of HIV Medicine said three separate tests would have had to be done to confirm Morrison's original sample, and that once a person tests positive he is positive for life.

More likely, Kirchner said, is that Morrison, like Magic Johnson, has been taking HIV drugs and they have worked so well that the disease is more or less in remission. Kirchner said such patients can often function at a high level athletically, and are not at great risk to others.

"If the virus level is undetectable, the risk of passing that virus to another person is close to zero," he said."

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

I come from a family full of lawyers & doctors - which is why I got as far away from either dicipline as I possibly could. I'll leave you all with a thought:

They still call it, "the Practise Of Medicine".

& it's us guinea pigs that they are practising on ...

GorDoom

vCash

I couldn't agree more Gor. Between the AMA and the pharmaceutical companies, there are few bigger crooks out there.

Banned
    vCash

Administrator
    vCash

Not saying I believe he took a test in that state or not, just reporting what I read. I couldnt care less.
    He looks even creepier in this pic.

vCash

Yeah, he looks bad.

I think the issue is how best to protect the fighters? A bright line rule retires a guy who tests positive. Once you start deviating from that, you are sliding down a slippery slope. Just when is the risk close enough to zero to make licensing a guy an acceptable risk? Would you rather refuse to license ten guys in remission or suffer one new infection?

In a sport whose regulation is as scattershot and piss-poor as boxing, I dread any attempts to deviate from the bright line rule. You are courting disaster.

vCash

He looks like Marv from Sin City....his abs are more cut than ever before but his shoulders and arms are definately smaller...looks like a fast juice job to me...whatever, he still has a shakey chin.

vCash

Tommy looks terrible and not in any boxing shape at all. His face shows the effects of disapation, and he must need money very badly to go forward with this. Weightlifting and a body built by weights is NOT boxing condition.

vCash

The question is who is still willing to pay good American dollars to watch Morrison 2.0 KO set-ups?

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

IF Tommy was clean why did he wait 10 years to make a comeback? He was already on the down slope when he retired. & let's get real here - IF they gave him a false positive in Nevada which ended his career - Don't you think Tommy would have sued the NAC for the MILLIONS that he potentially lost?

I still think this whole thing is bullshit & looking at the pictures of Tommy he looks fucking TERRIBLE.

Licensing him to fight is potentially criminal.

GorDoom

Administrator
    vCash

Those pictures are gross.

vCash

IF Tommy was clean why did he wait 10 years to make a comeback? He was already on the down slope when he retired. & let's get real here - IF they gave him a false positive in Nevada which ended his career - Don't you think Tommy would have sued the NAC for the MILLIONS that he potentially lost?

I still think this whole thing is bullshit & looking at the pictures of Tommy he looks fucking TERRIBLE.

Licensing him to fight is potentially criminal.

GorDoom
    But, hey, cheer up! At least we don't have a federal commission...

vCash

Who else sees a Mesi-Morrison fight on the horizon . . .

"The Battle of the White, Washed Up Medical Cases"

BTW . . Morrison always had a thin neck but now he looks like a lizard.
    Last edited by hagler04; 02-22-2007 at 04:12 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rocky111
    Tommy looks terrible and not in any boxing shape at all. His face shows the effects of disapation, and he must need money very badly to go forward with this. Weightlifting and a body built by weights is NOT boxing condition.
    Morrison came out of prison with a reported $11,000 left to his name. He moved from Jay, Oklahoma to a log house in Tennessee. He was collecting a reported $1500 per month in disability for quite a while, but no other income that I'm aware of. It is absolutely 100% certain that this is for money. No doubts whatsoever. The HIV issue with Morrison is a great example of denial. He was almost dead (reported TC counts near zero) at one point. He has HIV, has admitted it in the past, but when he started with the treatment regimen he improved. The advances in treatment keep it undetectable for now.

I think denial definitely is a big factor, but a lot of people also forget Morrison's past. He grew up rural poor and was part of an organized crime group in his area at a young age. He knows how to con country style. In his mind, if he changes his story as he has, and says he was railroaded by the medical establishment and never had HIV, he probably thinks it will increase his ability to get a license. He obviously does not, or cannot, find a job in a suitable field, so he goes back to something that he perceives can make him a lot of money in a short period of time. Boxing.
    Last edited by Nixon; 02-22-2007 at 07:19 PM.

vCash

The shot I saw on Fightnews was quite flattering. The other ones I saw are creepy.

vCash

I watched the interview on Versus. When Morrison's attorney told him not to answer the question regarding the source of the last blood test, that was a big red flag. The Commission guys were nervous when Wally Matthews queried them, but they actually provided slightly better answers.

My opinion is that Tommy Morrison is lying. I think he definitely has HIV, has always had it since it was first detected, and it isn't currently detectable because he's adhered to the treatment regimen.

I have the interview from just 2 to 3 years ago on tape where he says completely different things than we heard tonight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast