Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lil' Klit-Ray Austin Results & Discussion 3/10/07

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Lil' Klit-Ray Austin Results & Discussion 3/10/07

Cliff, Crold on the board, has stepped up again & will do the honors today. He will give round by round updates & the results immediately upon the conclusion of the bouts.

Also remember guys, the fight is being held in Germany so it's on at 1:45 Left Coast & 4:45 East Coast time

Please keep all discussion of this card to this thread. Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

vCash

Re: Lil' Klit-Ray Austin Results & Discussion 3/10/07

WATCH KLITSCHKO ON HBO…BUT TREASURE "SWEET PEA" ON ESPN TOO!

10 March, 2007 by Cliff Rold

LIVE BOXING TODAY & LIVING HISTORY TOO!

Arlington, VA – In a throwback to the days of my younger youth, HBO will be showing a Saturday fight at a time when most people are actually home (4:45 PM EST/1:45 PM PST). It’s either too bad, or just great, that the fight is Ring Magazine #1 Wladimir Klitschko (47-3, 42 KOs, IBF titlist) against unranked Ray Austin (24-3-4, 16 KOs, an IBF mandatory). Too bad because it’s not expected to be all that competitive; just great because if Wlad is clicking on all cylinders he might score the sort of highlight reel knockout that brings in a few channel surfing casual fans resting before heading out to the club. For the hardcore fans who forsake such sins on fight nights, there will still be a great reason to stay home. At 8 PM ET, ESPN Classic will be doing a three-hour retrospective on the great Pernell Whitaker.

Read the Rest Here: http://ringtalk.com/index.php?action=fulln...s=1&id=1173

vCash

They are in the ring...the World Heavyweight title remains vacant but tonight we have:

Ring #1 Wladimir Klitschko (47-3, 42 KOs)
    v.
    Unranked Ray Austin (24-3-4, 16 KOs)

Klitschko is coming off three straight against the top ten; Austin has not lost since being stopped in 2001 by Atilla Levin. His two most recent draws were Zuri Lawrence and Larry Donald...so take that for what you will.

Let's Get it On!

vCash

ROUND ONE

Too his credit, the Austin man boobs are at an all-time low...Austin so slow it's humorous...Jab from Klit...Austin wisely dipping right defensively when jabbing...Hard Klit jab...Austin double jab...They clinch...Shockingly this has utterly sucked thus far; I predict more of the same.

Klit 10-9

vCash

ROUND TWO

Klit seems to stun Austin with jab...Quadruple left hook and Austin is down...we're out of here. Good night. Screw this fight, DKP, Klit, HBO, the IBF...the whole kit and kaboodle. Utter garbage from contract signing to finish.

vCash

Begin all other discussion now if you'd like.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

"Utter garbage from contract signing to finish". Couldn't agree with you more Cliff! This fight proves absolutely nothing. Austin was the scarificial tomato can, Period.

But I'm willing to bet the ranch that we are going to here how this was a great perfomance by Klit. Shee-it ... He did what he was supposed to do against an absolute mediocrity.

He should be embarrased fighting that level of competition.

GorDoom
    P.S. Thanks for the coverage Cliff. It was more interesting than that fight, that's for sure!

vCash

Actually, the announcers dissed the match-up and said it proved little other than Klit is still #1 based on recent effort. Lennox called mandatrories "politricks" that prove only that you can concentrate for a shitty fight.

vCash

Am I missing something? How can the two Klit bros. have the goal of being "wold champions" at the same time? By definition, there can only be one world champion. Right? Or is there more than one world involved in this goal?

vCash

With HBO and the political pull they have, the Klits can pretty much shit on anything they want.

vCash

'World Champion' or 'Title Holder?'

Hey Rafael,

I think technically, it's, "Title Holder." Both brothers would hold different organizations' titles, making them "World Champions" for their respective boxing organization. However, as you know, technically, they'd both be title holders.

I mean, if it doesn't work out for them simultaneously holding titles in boxing, maybe one of them can take up curling, shuffleboard, or another fringe sport and work his way to the top. Then, technically, they could still be "World Champions" at the same time.

If that's too extreme, maybe Klit Senior can win the IBO World Title or start his own organization. How about the WKBO?

Anyways...

vCash

Juan, of course that what they mean, but, to anyone with a brain, it essentially means nothing. Right?

Banned
    vCash

Are we forgetting something here, guys? ("He asked, knowing full well he was opening himself up to charges of being a Wladimir bootlicker.") Austin was a mandatory. No, that didn't make him a deserving challenger, but Klitschko likes his belts and wants to keep them. He didn't exactly go shopping around for the least-living creature that HBO would approve as an opponent.
    You say Wlad did what he was supposed to do against a no-hoper . . . so? Why lambaste him? Would you have preferred he slaughter Austin in the first round rather than the second?
    In his prior three fights the man beat the hottest prospect in the division (Peter), looked good in kicking the shit out of a titleholder NO ONE looks good against (Byrd), and disposed of the only real, undefeated American prospect on the screen (Brock). So now he blows away an undeserving MANDATORY, and all of a sudden he's garbage pretending to be a champion?
    A couple of possible conclusions spring to mind: (1) Anti-Klitschko bias is as tough to cure as herpes, and (2) some of us are just a LITTLE bit difficult to please.
    It wasn't Ali-Frazier, but neither was Marciano-Cockell, and I don't recall reading a lot of moaning and bitching over that. (Pre-emptive response: No, I am NOT equating Wlad to Rocky.) PeteLeo.

vCash

Hi Rafael,

Well, I think it means something, but it's greatly watered down.

I think, in a way, it's like being the World Champion Disco Dancer today--if there is such a thing--versus in the 70's, when disco dancing was big.

Surely, there's some good disco dancers around these days, but being at the top of the heap today bears no comparison to accomplishing this in the 70s.

I would imagine that the Chuck Wepners, Scrap Iron Johnsons, Jesse Fergusons and other heavyweight gate keepers and contenders must look at this heavyweight division from time to time and wonder if they'd be wearing a title had they fought today.

Ohhhhh well...

vCash

By the way, has anyone found a brain lying around? I seem to have misplaced mine.

Rafael, mind if I borrow yours?

LOL,

Juan

vCash

I won't disparage Wlad on this one . . .he at least ended this crap by the 2nd round (although it should have ended in the 1st)

Austin is BAD. I thought he might try to go to war, but he tried to box and stink his way to a close fight like he has with everyone else. So slow, so clumsy . . I mean, I'm not expecting a Ken Norton or Evander Holyfield . . . but can't we see at least a Herbie Hide level opponent fighting for a HW title? Brock and Austin were so pathetic in their lack of athleticism and speed it just makes you mad.

If Chagaev beats Valuev (which I think is very possible), I'd really want to see Wlad face him. I think the Uzbek destroys him. And I don't think Steward will put him in that fight.

Administrator
    vCash

No one's calling Klitschko garbage or really even faulting him for taking on a mandatory, but people get understandably sour when they pay for uncompelling garbage matchups. Why would HBO send Lampley, Merchant, and a crew over there to cover a fight that their own commentators were criticizing? If Klit had quietly disposed of Austin off of U.S. TV, no one would care.

If they were determined to go to Germany to cover a "world title fight" then they should've chosen Chagaev-Valuev.

vCash

At least Klit is fighting often and staying in shape. It's not as if the division is dripping with compelling match ups ... we all know the book on Klit...a tremendous offensive fighter, extremely gifted with stamina tha must be managed carefully and an average chin.....

however, there is more to him ... anyone who says he has no heart knows nothing ... he kept getting up against Saunders, he did not lay down like a dog ... he collasped from exhaustion against Brewster .... he came off the deck three times to almost deck Peter and did beat him ...

Klit is a fun champion and will remain one until he gets clipped again ... it might be a John Tate style loss, it might never come ... who knows ... at least he is a gentleman, comes into the ring in shape and fights often.

vCash

Agree with everything you said Todd; in fact, Valuev-Chagaev is the best fight made in the division right now. It's a sleeper for some solid entertainment.

vCash

The beat goes on.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Juan C Ayllon
    By the way, has anyone found a brain lying around? I seem to have misplaced mine.

Rafael, mind if I borrow yours?

LOL,

Juan
    Well, my wife says all the time that my brain is underused, so I suppose you can have it.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Klitschko Solidifies Status, Stops Austin in Two
    By Sammy Rozenberg from Boxing Scene

Many pundits were wondering how veteran Ray Austin (24-4-4, 16KOs) was able to land a mandatory shot at IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (48-3, 43KOs), especially since he was coming off a draw. It was called a mismatch before the fight, and a mismatch it became when the two fighters came together at the SAP-Arena in Mannheim, Germany.

It only took two rounds and several left hooks to crash Austin to the canvas. Klitschko was not happy about meeting Austin because he thought it was be an easy fight that brought nothing to the table. After the fight was over, even Klitschko admitted that it was an easier fight than he expected.

"I didn't think it would be so easy. Austin was much slower than my sparring partners," Klitschko said.

Austin did not go for broke in the first round, he stayed away and tried to box. Before Klitschko could even break a sweat in the second round, a series of left hooks against the ropes sent Austin down. He was unable to beat the count of the referee and Klitschko picked up another knockout win.

The next logical step would be to unify the heavyweight titles. In terms of making the most lucrative payday and being able to draw the most interest from the fans would certainly come from a fight with undefeated Nikolai Valuev, the WBA champion.

The other two champions would draw far less interest from the general boxing public. WBO champion Shannon Briggs has been ordered to make a mandatory defense in the next few months.

Briggs was slated to originally face Klitschko last year, but a breakdown in negotiations made him sign for WBO title shot with Sergei Liakhovich, resulting in a knockout win that seems to have restarted his career. Klitschko took on undefeated Calvin Brock, and disposed of him with a knockout win.

During the post-fight press conference that followed Klitschko's win over Brock, Briggs was in attendance and exchanged words with Klitschko and members of his camp.

If Briggs is able to hold onto his title through his mandatory, he would certainly be a major player for the Klitschko sweepstakes.

WBC champ Oleg Maskaev, another man who almost fought Klitschko in 2006, is currently in the middle of a tug-of-war between Samuel Peter and the comeback kid, Vitali Klitschko.

Peter won two consecutive WBC mandated eliminators against James Toney. After it appeared that he would be the man to Maskaev, an unforseen problem took place when the retired Vitali Klitschko announced his return to the sport.

Following his retirement in 2005, Klitschko was given special status by the president of the WBC and promised an immediate crack at the reigning champion if he ever changed his mind and un-retired.

In order to avoid a public smear campaign by ruling in the favor of either fighter, the WBC told all of the parties to attempt to settle the dispute by way of mediation.

After reps for Maskaev, Klitschko and Peter met in New York to attempt some sort of a compromise, nothing was immediately settled and the status of Maskaev's next opponent is up in the air.

One thing is for sure, with older brother Vitali winning a title, Wladimir will be unable to properly unify the heavyweight division.

There was always a forecasted plan of Klitschko facing the winner of Maskaev-Peter, obviously that won't happen.

Even if Vitali is able to secure the shot at Maskaev, all of the discussed terms would grant Peter a fight with the winner. Wladimir would have to wait until 2008 to unify against the WBC champion, that is if his brother is not the one holding the crown.

Valuev is a seven-foot, 300-pound behemoth of a man. He would be the first opponent that would make the 6'6 Wladimir the smaller man in the ring.

There are still various problems with even making a fight with Valuev. The biggest is the involvement of promoter Don King, who co-promotes the Russian giant.

King is universally known for requesting options when his champions are matched in key bouts. Klitschko, who manages and promotes himself through his own company, has vowed to never give options to any promoter.

There is always the option of facing Evander Holyfield, which would present a decent payday and plenty of headlines. In order to make sure a fight seem credible, Holyfield would have to beat a variety of top contenders to prevent the fight from appearing like a mismatch to the public.

Klitschko is recognized as the best heavyweight in the sport. Sooner or later, but hopefully sooner, he will need to seriously test himself in the similar fashion as he did against Samuel Peter in 2005.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GorDoom
    There is always the option of facing Evander Holyfield, which would present a decent payday and plenty of headlines. In order to make sure a fight seem credible, Holyfield would have to beat a variety of top contenders to prevent the fight from appearing like a mismatch to the public.
    I hope this fight never happens--for Evander's health. I realize he is "the real deal" and a warrior, but sooner or later one punch too many, and the pugilistic dementia...you get the idea.

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    No one's calling Klitschko garbage or really even faulting him for taking on a mandatory, but people get understandably sour when they pay for uncompelling garbage matchups. Why would HBO send Lampley, Merchant, and a crew over there to cover a fight that their own commentators were criticizing? If Klit had quietly disposed of Austin off of U.S. TV, no one would care.
    So, basically, you're saying the only thing wrong with Klitschko-Austin was that it was televised, is that right? Sort of, "Oh, God, I had to sit there and watch that!"

Once more, the guy fought, in sequence, Peter, Byrd, and Brock. Just because he consented to a #1 rated mandatory defense, we're now supposed to stamp our feet and shake our fists due to the fact that he wasn't in with Maskaev/Briggs/Valuev? Hey, I'd love to see unification, too, but tell me who deserved a gimme more than Klitschko after his last three bouts? With Austin out of the way and the sanctioning body off his back, he can go about the business of seriously negotiating with the best opponents. If he fails to step up to the plate, then maybe we should allow our sour moods to foment publically. Where was all of this righteous indignation while the "great" Bowe was fighting Michael Dokes and Jesse Ferguson? Klitschko is HBO's heavyweight just like Riddick was (thus the European vacation for Lampley and Merchant).

Also, the Austin bout wasn't PPV. It was HBO-standard, which means -- since my system includes HBO -- it cost me no more than Joe Mesi-George Linberger. Sometimes I wonder if we're just not so used to griping about the state of boxing in general and the heavyweights in particular that it has become a reflex. What kind of posts would we be reading if Austin had lasted until, say, the eighth or ninth round and landed a few shots? I doubt there would be any more congratulations to Klitschko than we're encountering in this plane of reality. PeteLeo.

vCash

Fighter who fight 2-3 times a year never deserve a gimme.

Banned
    vCash

A lot of acknowledged greats fall beneath that umbrella. The raw satisfaction of being THE best at what you do (in one's own mind, anyway) tends to erode the drive to prove this fact before the eyes of the world, it seems. Was Marciano great? Dempsey? Don't tell me those guys didn't engage in gimmes. Even Louis, with all of is activity, was pretty much engaging in exhibitions (from any objective standpoint) during stretches of that long run of "title defenses."
    What was Maskaev's first defense? Lyakhovich's? (Even though an exhausted Briggs managed to hang around and bite him in the ass, Shannon was viewed as being washed up and fairly easy pickings prior to the match.) Remember RJJ's domination of the nation's civil servants?
    No other heavyweight in the game can hold up a better list of opponents in his past three bouts than Klitschko, so it just seems kind of petty to begrudge the man a Ray Austin afternoon. We didn't "pay" for this bout any more than we paid for the hundredth rebroadcast of WAR OF THE WORLDS, and unless a viewer was bound in some SAW-inspired contraption before the television with toothpicks holding his eyelids up, he wasn't forced to watch Ray's execution.
    There just ain't too many active pros who are going to surpass the 2-3 times a year bar anymore. PeteLeo.

vCash

Wlad has the tools to get an inferior opponent out of there and did it. Other heavyweights aren't opportunists and a fight against a guy like Austin goes the limit in a dreary bout.

The other thing is that it's never easy beating Don King fighters when you are promoted by someone else. On the contrary. The King fighters have a very very good record in these rare type of bouts & it does change the risk factor of things.

It will be impossible for Wlad to win and hold onto 2 heavyweight belts unless he makes a promotional deal with king. He'll get stripped of a belt long before the time it would take to meet the other 2 champions.

vCash

I think you have to give some credit where credit is due.

Coming into the fight, Wlad's last three opponents had a collective record of 110-2. Wlad beat the top contender in Peter, the universally recognized champ in Byrd and another top-rated and undefeated young contender in Calvin Brock. That's a helluva lot more than any of the others of the division have done in the past several years.

Klitschko didn't want the Austin fight but he had to take it to keep the IBF belt. Besides, he couldn't get any of the other titlists in the ring. Before and after the Austin fight he was and is calling on Valuev to get in the ring.

Look, I'm not saying that Wlad is the savior of the division. I'm not saying that he's the second coming, I'm not saying he's a great heavyweight. However, when I look around right now I would say he's fought and beat the best competition recently and he's done it impressively.

He's better than WBO titlist, Briggs and WBC titlist, Maskaev. He wants to fight the undefeated 47-0 guy next in Valuev, WBA titlist. He's on record in saying that he doesn't fell like the champion until he can unify the belts so even he says he's not the
    "Champ".

What more do you want from the guy? What more would you want him to do that he hasn't done?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Crold1
    Fighter who fight 2-3 times a year never deserve a gimme.
    But that is not the way the sport of boxing works today. It is a business run based on the agendas of people other than fighters and fans. The people who run boxing don't care what you think and they don't care what I think. Klitschko would much rather fight a bigger money and more meaningful fight than defend against Austin. He made that pretty clear. Countless other fighters have run into the same dilemma. The other problem is with guys like Roy Jones in the 1990s. Guys like that take advantage of that situation and are smart enough to negotiate a lot of money against guys not deserving of title shots. Klitschko is not like that. He is a guy who is trying to rebuild his career after stoppage losses and is doing well. I don't think he is that good of a fighter but as the previous poster pointed out he's fighting guys with records much better than the other belt holders. If the other promoters could put the bullshit aside this division would've been unified a long time ago but they don't see it as being in their best interest. They protect their territory while MMA, UFC, etc. move forward.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Todd

If they were determined to go to Germany to cover a "world title fight" then they should've chosen Chagaev-Valuev.
    I agree. I don't blame Klitschko for this. When a fighter is forced to fulfill a meaningless mandatory go ahead and skip the HBO coverage. Exactly right in saying they don't need to send everyone over to Europe to cover it. HBO is better off to focus on Marquez - Barrera and Kessler - Andrade for the month of march to upgrade their quality of programming. HBO has been hurting and slipping with the fans and they didn't help themselves by putting this one on.

The funny thing about Don King and all of the maneuvers he's made in the heavyweight division in the last year is that it just doesn't matter. Don King has enough money. He doesn't need to be a control freak anymore at his age. No need to continue the crap. The best way he can go out at his age is to give the fans what they want and that's unification. Instead he makes the choice of playing a big role in screwing up the sport even more. He just doesn't care. He is addicted to control, ego, and money and that is precisely what is driving people to other sports where they can't even identify who a promoter or a power broker is. The athletes are more of the focus in those sports instead of the games promoters and sanctioning bodies play.
    Last edited by Nixon; 03-11-2007 at 09:53 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast