Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tony Zale vs. Freddie Steele

vCash

Re: Tony Zale vs. Freddie Steele

Steele was a bit like a Tommy Hearns IMO. Good, talented boxer with big punching power, but perhaps a wee bit susceptible to power and pressure himself. Whatever the stories about Steele's supposed injury, it seems to me that he was reluctant even beforehand to fight Apostoli a second time, and eventually gave in to the pressure to fight him if he didn't have to put his title on the line. And of course he gave up a piece of his title rather than gave him a title shot after their rematch. It seems to me that Apostoli must've given him a rough time in their first fight, and Steele must've sensed that he could not beat an improved and more experienced Apostoli. And of course, after the beating he took from Apostoli (whatever the exact reason), Steele was never the same fighter.

Based on that, I give the edge to Zale in this one, in a fight that bears resemblance to Steele's loss to Apostoli. Steele gets off to an early lead, but I think the strength and pressure of Zale gets to him late and does him in.

vCash

Re: Tony Zale vs. Freddie Steele

OK, Hawk. I've read the entire thread. Interesting stuff! So you're asking me when I think the breastbone injury happened? I've always believed that it was during the Apostoli fight, as has always been the claim. Apostoli could really hammer you into pulp if you weren't careful (ask Billy Conn) and he had the power to inflict such an injury. I would have to look more into it but I haven't seen any evidence convincing enough to make me think anything else. What has your most recent research shown?

And as far as Steele being hesitant to fight Apostoli again as MY2 suggested, I don't see how that can be. He battered FA senseless in their first fight and stopped him, so if anyone was going to be hesitant to fight a rematch it would have been Apostoli, not Steele. Freddie had been in plenty of tough fights and readily signed up for more AFTER Apostoli. I'm referring to his bout with Solly Krieger, a power punching champion who was very much feared. He won but it was pretty much his last notable performance. He just didn't have his heart in it any more and said as much in post fight interviews ("This fight business is a tough racket and I'd like to forget it all").

Remember also that the loss to Apostoli came LATE in Steele's career. He'd already had 135 bouts in a 12 year career.

FA also lost to Steele KO victim Ceferino Garcia
    Last edited by Surf-Bat; 11-21-2008 at 03:32 AM.

Banned
    vCash

The infor I have seen

point to the injury being sustained in the Apostoli fight in 38.

A few posts here lend to the suggestion it might have happened in sparring and I simply could not uncover that anywhere.

Hawk

Banned
    vCash

Re the 2nd Apostoli bout coming late into Steele's career

I always felt that offset the win Freddie had over Fred when Apostoli only had around 10 pro fights under his belt and Steele had easily 100 more than that.

Hawk

vCash

Re: Re the 2nd Apostoli bout coming late into Steele's career

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    I always felt that offset the win Freddie had over Fred when Apostoli only had around 10 pro fights under his belt and Steele had easily 100 more than that.

Hawk
    Fair enough, but does his win over Apostoli-conqueror Garcia (among other accomplishments) place Steele higher than FA on your list?

Banned
    vCash

Steele

does indeed rank higher than Apostoli on my Middle list.

Hawk

Banned
    vCash

Bump for Evan

Re HE Grants post inquiring Info on Steele in the Old Timers section.

Hawk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12