Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Incisive, Scintillating, Intellectual, "Lightning" Reviews of New Movies

Banned
    vCash

Re: Incisive, Scintillating, Intellectual, "Lightning" Reviews of New Movies

"The mutant Chronicals". Lot of action but most of the movie is shot in dark catacombs. Why bother having great sets and makeup when you can't see most of it.

vCash

Just downloaded and watched "The Hangover". It didn't unseat "The 40 Year Old Virgin" as the movie that made me laughest the longest and hardest, but it was very close. Absolutely hysterical movie.

vCash

I have never read "Where the Wild Things Are". When I saw the trailer, I thought it looked like an incredibly dull movie. But good ol' Roger Ebert gave it the good thumb and 3 of 4 stars, so I took the kids to see it.

Rename it "Where the Wildly Boring Things Are". Completely irredeemable. Please everyone do yourselves a favor and stay away in droves.

Banned
    vCash

This flick has scored some of the most variable reviews I've encountered. It seems that folks really, really love it or really, really hate it. Very few in-betweens.

I think I'll take the advice and save my money and time for more sedate and dependable fare. Like 2012. Pete "Disaster Fan" Leo.

Administrator
    vCash

I wasn't blown away by the Hangover for some reason.

I thought Paranormal Activites was good. Better than expected.

Inglorius Basterds. Ok, delivered as expected but 30 minutes too long.

vCash

Dig - there was a line in Hangover that just about made me pass out laughing. "I think it's time we consider the possibility that our friend Doug is lying face down in a ditch somewhere with a meth-head butt-fucking his corpse." The way he delivered that line just about wiped me out.

I loved Inglorious Basterds, but Brad Pitt's "Bonjourno" alone made the entire thing worthwhile for me.

I just got a really welcome surprise - "The Ugly Truth". Figured it would be a silly chick-flick. Instead I thought it was hilarious throughout. A bit of a Hollywood ending, but funny as hell all the way.

vCash

Having been forced to watch a chick-flick over the weekend, maybe by reviewing it I can purge.....

"The Proposal" with Sandra Bullock, no she didn't even get fully naked, strike one, a ridiculous hollywood premise, strike two, ZERO chemsitry between the two leads, that's the ball game..

Banned
    vCash

A true "lightning" review, just what the thread was designed to deliver. Pete "Seldom Sticks to His Own Rules" Leo.

vCash

If you don't mind subtitles, I highly recommend a Swedish film just released on DVD called Evil. I thought it was excellent.

vCash

Saw Avatar in 3D. Unfortunately it was $12 a seat in 3D and was STILL sold out at 10:00 p.m. for a 2.5 hour movie and I wound up sitting in the front row, which was a bit annoying. That said, the film was solid. Entertaining. Effects were very well done. 3D is cool but you could probably see it in 2D and be fine. With 3D though you really feel immersed into that world. Interesting story concept, though screenplay needed a little work. I think Cameron was trying to combine elements of Star Wars, Dances With Wolves, Apocalypse Now, and A Man Called Horse. My wife loved it and gave it a 9 out of 10. For whatever reason, I didn't like it that much. I thought it was good and entertaining. You won't dislike it - it is entertaining and fun and well done - but I just didn't get over the hump to really liking it lots and lots. Not going to urge anyone to go out and see it but will say that if you do you probably will come away feeling like it was a fun ride.

vCash

I thought Avatar was crap, pretty pictures and nothing else. The story and realization of the story reminded me of cheap paperback novels written by hacks forty years ago...which is, I guess, an improvement over most Hollywood scifi, which feels like it was written fifty years ago. Clumsy exposition, a tedious voiceover, button-pushing manipulation. The technical stuff was great, but the rest of it was IMO seriously bad. I can't believe Cameron spent a quarter of a billion and came up with this cartoon.

vCash

That's one way of looking at it. I wouldn't vehemently argue with you, although you are kind of harsh. You have to admit though that it was absolutely beautiful. Visually compelling film. Should garner lots of effects awards. But screenplay, well, lets just say I think I could have written a better script myself. But it is clean and you can take the kids to it. I think it might actually be perfect for young adults. I think I would have LOVED this movie in my teen years.

vCash

I write the stuff, and I'm tired of Hollywood doing this junk and calling it cutting edge. The pictures were pretty and if I had been 14 when I saw it, I'd think it was cool, but I'm not 14 and all I could think during the movie was all that cash and technical hoo ha in the service of this garbage plot. Sorry, but I'm nowhere near as harsh as some of the film's critics. Essentially what Cameron made was a quarter of a billion dollar screen saver.

vCash

Ouch. Maybe you and I should do the new Siskel and Ebert. Anyway, did you like Lord of the Rings? I wasn't goo goo ga ga over those movies either, but folks seemed to love them. So.... I suppose you could either have a luke warm three star rating as I have for Avatar, or you could have a one star as you have, or I suppose you could have a 4 or 5 star rating as my wife had, depending on your perspective. I think mine is more balanced because I saw both the strengths and weaknesses with the film. Could have been done better, but it isn't bad either. Just the way I see it. Like I said, I'm not raving about it or encouraging people to go see it. It is what it is. A visually striking fun ride at the theme park that lasts 2.5 hours for $12 in 3D, or less if you see matinee or 2D.

vCash

I will admit to having an unbalanced view, though I tend to think it's accurate.

I thought the first LOTR movie was okay, faithful to the book, but the last two were lame-ish.

Well, we couldn't do worse than Ebert and Roeper.

vCash

Saw the French film "Tell No One." Really liked it. Interesting, held my attention, had an intriguing conclusion.

Banned
    vCash

A little late with "Inglorious Bastards".
    Teranatino got me again. This movie sucked. 2 hrs of character development and maybe 15 minutes of action. Some scenes, like the basement, took way too long to develop for 1 min of action. Why does he build up characters and then blow them away for no reason. Best character was the german jew hunter (no offense). The movie was supposed to be about the unit in germany , the bastards, led by brad pitt. Only one scene of them in action, the baseball bat scene. The rest, just character development. Give me "Kellys Heros" any day over this. Heck, give me just about any WW2 movie over this. 2 1/2 hrs I would love to have back.

vCash

500 Days of Summer was overrated in my opinion. I didn't care for it very much at all. Not funny. Just a weepy woa is me chick flick, IMO. Some good writing I suppose, but not enough to save it for me. Maybe I'm being too harsh. I just didn't care for the characters.

Extract was cute, but nothing special at all.

Sorry, philly, I liked Basterds. Waltz's performance should get him a best actor or supporting actor award.

Hangover is fun. Boys night out film. Just plain fun.

Julie and Julia. So so. Not much to it. Somewhat cute. Well acted. Streep is fantastic as always.

Angels & Demons. So so. Semi-interesting and semi-boring at the same time. Cable it if you have nothing better to do.

Terminator: Salvation. Entertaining and okay, nothing special. Not bad, not great. Cable it.

Funny People. Underrated. Solid film. BUT - this is NOT a comedy. It is a serious film. Go into it with that attitude, and you'll like it. Well done, well written, well acted. Not the typical Sandler film.
    Last edited by apollack; 12-30-2009 at 12:39 PM.

vCash

Hangover, a good start, but lost steam quickly, and that whole rescue subplot was just stupid. It really needed a dominant talent to carry it, but it was just supporting players trying to upstage each other.

The Hurt Locker, really exciting and gritty, full of challenging emotional ambiguity.

A Serious Man, strange and meandering, frustrating if you like the Coens to neatly tie up their stories.

Paranormal Activity, forget the Blair Witch backlash, a pretty ingenious, resourceful and creepy little thriller.

vCash

Basterds. Anybody else creeped out by a 2.5-hour comedy about a Jewish anti-Nazi murder squad?

Banned
    vCash

I'd even rate "valkyrie" over basterds.

vCash

I loved Basterds. Tarantino's best movie other than Pulp Fiction. The tension building he did in that movie over and over again was incredible.

Just found out that they have made a direct to DVD version of "Dolan's Cadillac". Downloading now. When I first read "Stand By Me" I thought it would make a great movie, and it did. When I first read "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" I thought it would make a great movie, and it REALLY did. The only other King novella I thought would make a great movie was "Dolan's Cadillac". I can't wait to see this.

Banned
    vCash

Inglorious basterds. Yes, waltz should get the oscar. But take an interesting character like hugo stiglitz, a big build up, then he gets blown away in 2 seconds in a stupid bar fight. There was so much more they could have done with him. I was looking forward to a little more 'dirty dozen" action in this movie. What was the point of the 1/2 hour card game in the bar? I'm not going to change anybodies opinion, we like what we like, but I was extremely disappointed. Reminds me of kill bill. Big 2 movie build up between fight with uma and carradine that lasts all of 15 seconds. I did like the fight between gogo and uma. Something about that schoolgirl outfit.

vCash

Watched "Dolan's Cadillac" last night, and was I ever disappointed. I could have made a better version of King's short story with no budget and my high school buddies as the stars. Too much emphasis on Dolan's business (which was only mentioned peripherally in the book), and they "Hollywood"ed the hell out of Robinson's revenge. Almost made a total mockery out of a tremendous story.

One good thing - a scene where Dolan and his chief henchman confronts Robinson in a roadside rest stop (not in the short story at all). That one scene was excellent, but other than that, this was a great concept and story that could have made a great movie and was left in the hands of an incompetent screenwriter (Richard Drooling, who I have never even heard of) and a ridiculously inexperienced director (Jeff Beesley who has done good work on TV shows, but never for features).

D-

Banned
    vCash

saw GI Joe last night. A LOT of action. 2 hrs flew by. Good movie IMO. Hot chicks, jokes, action, weapons= entertainment for me. Plus they set up the sequel nicely.

vCash

Just saw a PHENOMENAL documentary that I give 5 out of 5 stars. Just FANTASTIC. Unbelievably good. Must see. The less you know the better. Don't read any of the spoilers. Just get it and watch it.

Dear Zachary: A letter to a son about his father.

vCash

Thanx. Dear Zachary was a good one.

I'll try returning the favor ===go get Big Fan from netflix---it just came out. I think Patton Oswalt should get an oscar for playing an NFL Giants diehard nutcase.

vCash

Finally saw Disney's UP

Fantastic little movie. Definitely the best Pixar movie done so far.

Banned
    vCash

was that the 2D or 3D version?
    I saw the 3D one in the theater, yes it was very good.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    Even in his condition now I'm sure he can throw most of us right through a wall without batting an eyelash.
    I wish the same could be said about me.

+ Reply to Thread