Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Incisive, Scintillating, Intellectual, "Lightning" Reviews of New Movies

vCash

Re: Incisive, Scintillating, Intellectual, "Lightning" Reviews of New Movies

Slumdog Millionaire... Wow what a film this is!! I've seen most of the movies already mentioned and I have to say this one blows them all away. The best I've seen in a long time...

vCash

I concur on Slumdog Millionaire. Just a wonderful piece of film-making. I have yet to see Button but I highly doubt it's better than Dog was, it should get Best Picture for sure.

Anyone seen Doubt? Not sure whether it's the type of movie that is worth the $10 or if I should wait to rent later.

Banned
    vCash

$10.00?

Is that what it costs to go to a movie today?

Granted my ignorance to all of this is due to the fact that I haven't been to an evening show for years (I THINK it was Traffic.), and the last time at the movies was a Matinee to see either the Hefalump Movie or Curious George with my girls (The grandparents take the girls to the movies now. Parents get shutout again.)

But that figure is absolutely insane.

To be honest, there has not been a movie in sometime that I said I HAVE to see on the big screen. That' not to say there have not been movies that I have rented that are recently released movies that I have not enjoyed immensely. But the NEED to go to a Movie theater when I can simply wait a few months, just hasn't been there for me.

I imagine having seen the latest King Kong movie on the big screen would have been fun. But not mandatory.

Hawk

Banned
    vCash

Thinking that I might have been a bit quick on the trigger in rating DUMBSDAY -- I mean, DOOMSDAY -- as an unmitigated waste and always wanting to be fair (no disagreement about that, right? Right?), I gave Marshall's admitted "homage" to action/adventure flicks a second look as it premiered on Cinemax this weekend. Guess what? It remains a steaming turd. Sometimes the precognitive instincts of the film-going public are right on the (saved) money.

Many writer/directors have made missteps following auspicious beginnings to their major careers, but Neil Marshall is going to have a long climb ahead him after this mess. PeteLeo.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: $10.00?

The local theater I go to -- Island 16 in Holtsville -- charges $10.75 for the Director's Hall -- $11.75 if I buy online!

vCash

I've watched all these films online for free. Does this make me a bad person?

Banned
    vCash

Smart in my book

take a bow.

Hawk

Administrator
    vCash

Well at least Island is the nicest theater around & I like being able to pick my seat.

vCash

"Director's Hall." That's funny. Seems nowadays every cinema has a "premium" venue with good snacks, better seats, no babies or cell phones, etc. and a higher ticket price. It's the industry's acknowledgement that the theater experience is crap and that the alternative of home viewing is seen by many as better.

If I'm going to take the trouble of leaving home, finding a sitter, parking, going to a restaurant, etc., shouldn't every theater be a "Director's Hall?"

For about $3 more, I can watch in the comfort of my own home, eat and drink what I want, and own the movie to watch as many times as I want. Suck it, exhibitors!

vCash

Saw Gran Torino and loved it. Not for anyone who is politically correct though.

vCash

"Saw Gran Torino and loved it. Not for anyone who is politically correct though"

Certainly not. My wife and I loved it as well. My new nickname for her is Yum Yum!

vCash

Saw IN BRUGES on DVD last night: very funny and very dark in equal measure; great looking film, well acted with an hilarious but dramatic finale.

vCash

No one has seen Mickey Roarke's The Wrestler? The wrestling boards are buzzing about the film, reckon it is top notch.

vCash

I saw it last week PeterD. It was a great movie. Vark, slow and depressing. Being a former wrestling fan, and reading about so many tragedies happening to the wrestlers I grew up watching, it painted a very real and bleak picture of what kind of life those guys live. Plus, Marisa Tomei still looks fine for a 40 plus year old stripper. Having her strut around in a thong for a good part of the movie was a nice addition.

I saw Benjamin Butting last night. It was a really good movie as well. I would still pick Slumdog if I could choose the Oscar... That being said, Buttin will certainly give Slumdog a run for its money.

vCash

I went out last night with the Mrs. to see THE WRESTLER and for some reason they wanted $18 each a ticket. I didn't want to see it that bad.

Instead saw THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON. Based on a pretty unique concept while borrowing a bit from FORREST GUMP (narration by a 'naive' central character) and TITANIC ('my one true love' story re-told by old woman) I thought it was a pretty solid movie although a bit long at 3 hours (I'm 'fidgety' in small movie seats where the goddamn heat is 90 degrees. Hey, this is Canada and it's frickin' cold and yeah I need to wear this heavy sweater and coat in case the line-up extends outside).

Anyhow, it has some great special effects while staying on track as a typical Hollywood heart-warmer.

Administrator
    vCash

I saw Rise of the Lycans the prequel to the Underworld movies. I loved the other 2 flics but I thought with the modern element removed, it was a little weak. They conveniently left out some elements of the story that needed to be illustrated. I think that had to do with either lack of budget or participation. It was kind of a lackadaisical, obligatory, fill-in-some-blanks effort. Fans for some reason seemed to love it but my girlfriend and I thought it was a 40 minute movie stretched into 90. Its not that it completely sucked, the plot deserved more.

Banned
    vCash

I'm telling you guys, the only werewolf movie I can't wait to see is the film version of our own Steve Vance's THE HYDE EFFECT, the best lycanthropy novel ever written (hell, maybe the best horror novel ever). It's in the scripting process now, but it's been there nearly a year. Maybe as a display of our brain-damaged unity we ought to band together to flood the studio with threatening -- I mean, supportive cards, letters, fruit baskets, and under-the-table bribes.

Couldn't hurt. PeteLeo.

Banned
    vCash

CHAOS (2005)

Big SPOILER included.

Complete, total, utter shit. I don't care if Sly Stallone's son is in it or Kevin Gage of HEAT and CON AIR does play the title character, this is one case in which ol' free speech championing PeteLeo would be in favor of tracking down every copy of this garbage and publically burning them. Not only does CHAOS blatantly rip off THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (which had already ripped off Bergman's VIRGIN SPRING), it does so while reducing the revenge tale to its absolute lowest level . . . and then it denies us the fucking revenge!

On the DVD, the witers/producers/directors of this fecal matter try to refute Roger Ebert's criticism of their "film" (and Ebert can be a real sanctimonious prick, but in this case he's right) by pointing out that they "extensively" researched the life and crimes of Donald "Peewee" Gaskins, upon whom Chaos was based. Well, guess what, fucktards, the Maddog Midget Gaskins fried in the fucking electric chair, he didn't get away scot-free.

I like violent movies in general, including slasher and gore flicks. I wouldn't piss on CHAOS. PeteLeo.

vCash

Finally caught Gran Torino last night. Eastwood sure isn't losing anything with age. Best movie I've seen in a very long time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TKO11
    Finally caught Gran Torino last night. Eastwood sure isn't losing anything with age. Best movie I've seen in a very long time.
    Yup. Ditto. To me, this films deserves best picture, but for some reason (likely its highly unpolitically correct humor) it isn't getting the buzz, plaudits and award nominations it deserves. This one is up there amongst my favorite Eastwood films. I thought it blew Million Dollar Baby away.

vCash

It was a really different movie that Million Dollar Baby though. MDB was a gut-wrenching, emotionally draining movie that literally wrung you out when it was done with you. Gran Turino is more fun, funnier, and more about a single guy than about the relationships he is involved in.

I loved them both, but Million Dollar Baby actually affected my mood for days. Gran Turino, with it's somewhat positive ending (especially compared to the emotional sledgehammer that was MDB), I don't think had the same resonance. I would still call it the third best movie of Clint's career (after MDB and Unforgiven) and when you look at Clint's resume, that ain't exactly chopped liver either.

vCash

I watched MDB and was expecting a sad and emotional story. I just didn't get it.

I thought The Champ was far more real and emotional, to use one example.

Banned
    vCash

I would still call it the third best movie of Clint's career (after MDB and Unforgiven)
    Hey, hold on, now. Did you forget that Eastwood was in both TARANTULA and THE REVENGE OF THE CREATURE?

Fifties' Frightmares Forever! PeteLeo.

vCash

Saw He's Just Not That Into You. Liked it a lot. Very cute. Nice mix of humor and seriousness, some fun insights. More of a chick flick, but I think guys can enjoy it too.

vCash

IN BRUGES was different. Had an independent film feel about it. I actually thought it was quite funny. Great role for Colin Farrell. He was perfectly cast.

vCash

It was a really different movie that Million Dollar Baby though. MDB was a gut-wrenching, emotionally draining movie that literally wrung you out when it was done with you. Gran Turino is more fun, funnier, and more about a single guy than about the relationships he is involved in.

I loved them both, but Million Dollar Baby actually affected my mood for days. Gran Turino, with it's somewhat positive ending (especially compared to the emotional sledgehammer that was MDB), I don't think had the same resonance. I would still call it the third best movie of Clint's career (after MDB and Unforgiven) and when you look at Clint's resume, that ain't exactly chopped liver either.
    I've not seen Gran Torino and I did enjoy MDB alot but...I thought Clint stuck to the typical archetypical format of writing simply:
    Father figure: Clint
    Mother figure: Morgan
    Child craftsman: Hillary
    Child clown: the skinny kid trying to prove his worth.
    Basic formula IMHO.
    Did the boxer that wrecked Hillary go to jail? That scene alone sort of ruined the film for me.
    Again IMHO Unforgiven was very enjoyable but overrated.
    Clint's done a derivative of this several times, why is this suddenly the creme de la creme?
    The acting in it grabbed my arse and made it a major treat but...great film?
    I'm just not seeing it.
    But what the heck, I'm a lowly Patterson lover...

vCash

That you are, Counter

The thing that I found so gripping about Unforgiven is that it wasn't the "anti-hero" movie that Clint generally is known for, it was a "no hero" movie. Sure, Eastwood is the major protagonist of the film, but there isn't a single character in the movie that isn't totally reprehensible:

Will (Eastwood): mass-murderer
    Ned (Freeman): mass-murderer
    English Bob (Harris): mass-murderer
    Little Bill (Hackman): killer (at the least), totally two-faced motherfucker who feels it is his place to be judge and jury to everyone at best
    Schofield Kid: complete shitheel, and by the end of the film, murderer
    The whores: whore who hire hitmen to kill for them
    The cowboys: lowlife pieces of shit who assault and cut up women
    Skinny: when one of his girls was nearly killed and left disfigured, all he wanted was montary restitution, cared nothing about the girls
    Beauchamp: Cared nothing for people, just wanted "the story"

Somehow, Eastwood made a complete movie out of a bunch of characters that were all just awful people. Just like in MDB, he took a standard formula and made something special out of it. Guys have been doing that forever - Rocky was nothing more than the most basic standard formula, but it was crafted to make it something special. And because Eastwood did the same kind of crafting with "Unforgiven", I still say it's the best western ever made.

vCash

That you are, Counter
    I still say it's the best western ever made.
    "But Shane, there's too many...there's too many Shane!"
    (of course Clint plagerized this one, along with his own High Plains Drifter in Pale Rider)

But I do agree with everything you've said.

Any Clint fan, worth his salt, couldn't help but get all a-titter in Unforgiven when the kid's telling him about Morgan's death and his hand reaches across the screen and grabs the whiskey bottle...

vCash

Just saw CHANGELING. Wow, what a powerful film! Holy, cow, that was intense. The acting was excellent. The true story was maddening and upsetting. It was so good it gave me a headache. Clint Eastwood made my two favorite movies this year - Changleling and Gran Torino. The guy knows how to make a film.

vCash

About a decade after I read my last comic book, someone gave me the Watchmen compilation and I grudgingly read it...the first time. Blew me away. Lightly followed the on again, off again movie rumors with a sort of ambivalent attitude but now that it's here, I can't freaking wait. I'm going by myself first to see if the R rating is more than my sons can handle but hope to take them the next day.

I'll shoot a review afterwards. Anyone else stoked about this?

+ Reply to Thread