Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Incisive, Scintillating, Intellectual, "Lightning" Reviews of New Movies

vCash

Re: Incisive, Scintillating, Intellectual, "Lightning" Reviews of New Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Counter Jab
    I admit I've not seen the film, but from critics and write-ups he's just wearing his prejudices on his sleeve. Accusing people he interviews of the very same tactics he's using.
    Using the surprise, attack dog Michael Moore style in an attempt to humiliate folks.
    His major attacks seem to be on Christianity, where he singles out uneducated, ignorant "examples'' in an attempt to prove his point.
    It's my understanding that the Jewish man he interviews is completely out of the mainstream of Judaism.
    Doesn't he sort of take it easy on Islam?
    Doesn't the end of the film suddenly shift into a sort of accusatory rant by him?
    It's a shame he couldn't have had the opportunity to interview intelligent, educated, spiritual Christian thinkers like C.S. Lewis, Andrew Murray, George MacDonald, etc... who I'm sure would have figuratively handed his head back to him on a platter.
    As a Christian, I'll admit that its hard for me to objectively address the film.
    Mate - With NO religious beliefs whatsoever I found it hard to be objective about the film. It's worth a look though IMO.

His Jewish background is actually one of the films more amusing points.

His father was catholic and he was raised catholic - Went to Church on Sunday's etc but never worked out why his mother never came to church til later - She was jewish.

RE: Islam - No, Islam gets as panned as the rest of the religions, lets not start a religious war over who's been persecuted more (JOKE!, a poor one but hey, its fitting)

The film indeed suddenly goes into his anti-religion sermon, that's a deliberate oxymoronic use of the word there because that's how abrupt and rapidly the delivery becomes a sermon.

He is very quick to emphasise the absurd or out of date views or generally easy prey and his conclusions and the intended impact of his sermon is really lost in that he doesn't actually acknowledge what to me are the many obvious BENEFITS of religion.

There's obviously one or two people in the world who benefit from their faith in tangible ways that make tougher times easier to bear both mentally/ spiritually and in tangible terms of assisting people in times of need and giving a sense of community and the myriads of other benefits that religion actually enriches the lives of people.

That includes all the Abrahamic religions, dharmic religions and everything in between.

That said - there's some good laughs at the expense of the Chucrch of Pot worshipers (I notice he picked on a Dutch stoner and didn't try and front that in Jamacia with the Rasta's - He'd be in a hole by now) and I found interesting the montage comparing the bible to a number of older religious texts in terms of similiarity of origin story.

More stuff to read.

I'm getting into Zoroastrian culture at the moment. Fascinating.

Banned
    vCash

Gran Torino- excellent. cursing amount was just right, hilarious at times. None better than eastwood right now. A movie that makes an impression and makes you think afterwards.

The Spirit- not as bad as sky captain and the world of tomorrow but not as good as sin city. A little boring. Extras on how they made it were at times more interesting than the actual movie

Up- great in 3D. I was the oldest kid in the theater but I enjoyed it.

x-files. more like the zzzzz files. worst movie I've seen in a long time. anderson hotter with long hair, mulder still can't act.

Bedtime stories- horrible. I like sandler and he gives a chuckle or 2, but a horrible movie.

Quantum of Solace- excellent, best bond film in years.

Taken- good movie. I like liam neeson. continous action.

Star Trek- one of the best I've seen this year. As a nerd, I don't understand why they just don't beam a nuke on board the other ship or sneak one on in a shuttlecraft. Worth buying which is my highest praise.

The Wrestler- boring. shows dark side of wrestling but doesn't go deep enough. reminds me of jake the snake roberts. I don't want to watch it again, which is the mark of a bad movie.

I now pronounce you chuck and larry- not bad. a laugh or 2. I don't want to watch it again though.

Rocknrolla- not one of ritchies best. not bad but not great.

Underworld 3. I enjoyed the first 2 more. More cgi in this one, still a good movie plus its got rhona mitra.

Riteous Kill- boring. you would think more chemistry and action in a movie with deniro and pacino. They just mug for the camera. 2 thumbs down.

vCash

Re: Public Enemies

Quote Originally Posted by PeteLeo
    How did (the first and real) Pretty Boy Floyd come across in this one?

I know a guy who's distantly related to him (and so do a lot of you other dudes on this site). PeteLeo.
    The scene with Pretty Boy Floyd was brief. Just him getting chased down through a field and shot bt Melvin Purvis with his dying words to not be addressed as "Pretty Boy."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyfan
    The Wrestler- boring. shows dark side of wrestling but doesn't go deep enough. reminds me of jake the snake roberts. I don't want to watch it again, which is the mark of a bad movie.
    Philly, we differ on this one. Because this was so low budget with hand held camera angles etc...no film score etc...the only thing left to stand on was the acting and storyline. Granted the story line was simplistic (which is a relief to me because I can't follow movies with a zillion twists) but it did carry a strong message and the acting was first rate. Rourke being 'discovered' at the deli counter was intense as was the emotional rants of his daughter. Marissa Tomei's acting was top notch as well and Christ Philly we get to see her table dance. Remind why you wouldn't want to see THAT again?!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by doomeddisciple
    There's obviously one or two people in the world who benefit from their faith in tangible ways that make tougher times easier to bear both mentally/ spiritually and in tangible terms of assisting people in times of need and giving a sense of community and the myriads of other benefits that religion actually enriches the lives of people.

Hey DD, thanks for responding. With all due respect only ONE...or...TWO people with a faith in God benefit from their faith???

I'll use my "catch-comment" here: It takes just as much "faith" to believe that the universe came from Nothing as it is to believe that it came from a (somehow) mover-shaker Power...

What saddens me is that the 'believers' have done more to trash a theism belief than the non-believers

vCash

Did Marissa Tomei act in the Wrestler? Funny, I only rememebr the table dancing...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Counter Jab
    Hey DD, thanks for responding. With all due respect only ONE...or...TWO people with a faith in God benefit from their faith???

I'll use my "catch-comment" here: It takes just as much "faith" to believe that the universe came from Nothing as it is to believe that it came from a (somehow) mover-shaker Power...

What saddens me is that the 'believers' have done more to trash a theism belief than the non-believers
    I need a sarcasm font developed stat.

I was more or less pointing out how ridiculous it is to point at religion as the sole cuase of the the worlds problems and to discount the obvious benefits to hundreds of millions of people in all cultures in all faiths.

I hear you on the 'believers'.

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8
    Philly, we differ on this one. Because this was so low budget with hand held camera angles etc...no film score etc...the only thing left to stand on was the acting and storyline. Granted the story line was simplistic (which is a relief to me because I can't follow movies with a zillion twists) but it did carry a strong message and the acting was first rate. Rourke being 'discovered' at the deli counter was intense as was the emotional rants of his daughter. Marissa Tomei's acting was top notch as well and Christ Philly we get to see her table dance. Remind why you wouldn't want to see THAT again?!
    sorry, but its not a movie I'd want to watch again. marissa dancing just wasn't enough for me. My grief with the movie is it didn't take it far enough. Drug and alcohol abuse run rampant with wrestlers. The most interesting part of the movie for me was the hardcore match. I would have liked to have seen that expanded. Not more of the match, more of the physical consequences. His daughter forgave him awful quickly, I would have liked to have seen him have to work on it more try to explain to her more why he wasn't home. To me, it just scratched the surface of issues the old timers go thru.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Off The River
    Did Marissa Tomei act in the Wrestler? Funny, I only rememebr the table dancing...
    It's not hard to understand why George Costanza was so smitten by her.

vCash

Never much of a Seinfeld fan, but always a Tormei fan...

Actually, she was great in the film.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Off The River
    Never much of a Seinfeld fan, but always a Tormei fan...

Actually, she was great in the film.
    I thought she was great in the movie but I've always been puzzled by her Oscar win for MY COUSIN VINNY. One of those classic "Huh?" moments. In a Canadian analogy context, it was like when Randy Carlyle won the Norris trophy for the 1980-81 season.

Philly we'll just have to disagree. I thought the movie covered pretty much all there was to cover given the fact that it's only a two hour movie. Drug, alcohol and steroid abuse, estranged and broken family units, casual sex, recurring injuries, health issues, loss of money and fame, etc....I could go on and on. It was actually one of my favourite movies that I've seen in awhile. Then again I was a teenager in the 80's when wrestling was booming so maybe I could relate to the character. Also like I said, the acting was top notch. Rourke was outstanding.

Generally speaking I dislike 90% of movies that I see.
    Last edited by 10-8; 07-03-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Banned
    vCash

Truth is stranger than fiction. Greg the Hammer valentines father really did die in the ring. Jake the snake roberts daughter does really hate him. A few years ago the WWF really brought in jimmy snuka to relive his feud with rowdy roddy piper. Bret hart had a stroke, not to mention all the deaths of wrestlers under the age of 40.

Banned
    vCash

Did you read about the two Mexican midget wrestlers who picked up a couple of prosties for a fun night . . . only to be drugged by the gals and robbed?

Due to their sizes, both were overdosed and both died.

I'm not making this up:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...e-robbers.html

Pete "I Haven't Seen It All, But, By Gosh, I've Seen A Lot Of It" Leo.

Banned
    vCash

sorry, but it has to be said....
    size does matter

vCash

Bruno

I saw Bruno tonight and was pretty disappointed. If you didn't like Borat (which I thought was much funnier) don't even consider seeing this. A few funny scenes but the premise wears thin pretty quick. I think the graphic nature of some scenes which included full frontal male nudity was a bit too graphic and many times I could sense those in the audience finding it more uncomfortable than funny. Guaranteed this will be the last character that Cohen will be able to use before he will need to change the format of his next project.

I'm a big fan of Cohen but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyfan
    Truth is stranger than fiction. Greg the Hammer valentines father really did die in the ring. Jake the snake roberts daughter does really hate him. A few years ago the WWF really brought in jimmy snuka to relive his feud with rowdy roddy piper. Bret hart had a stroke, not to mention all the deaths of wrestlers under the age of 40.

Sorry, Philly, but the GREAT Johnny Valentine died after a long stay in a hospital:

JOHNNY VALENTINE MEMORIAL SET

Obituary notice, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Sunday, April 29, 2001
    Johnny T. Valentine

RIVER OAKS -- Johnny T. Valentine, 72, a retired professional wrestler, died Tuesday, April 24, 2001, at a hospital.

Memorial service: 3 p.m. Tuesday at Castleberry Baptist Church.

Memorials: Johnny Valentine Memorial Fund, Bank of America, Acct. No. 004793093281.

The legendary Johnny T. Valentine, a world-renowned professional wrestler for 28 years, was born Sept. 19, 1928, in Hobart, Wash.

He was preceded in death by a daughter, Holly Valentine.

Survivors: Wife, Sharon Valentine; sons, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine and his wife, Julie, and John Anthony Valentine; daughters, Brandon Valentine, Tracy Hwidi; sisters, Virginia Wasilchen, Francie Fay; sister-in-law, Brenda Starns; grandchildren, Romaine and Vanessa Valentine, Jayson, Amber, and Tiffany Sparks; and nephew, Dan Starns.

Cards or letters of condolences may be sent to Sharon Valentine at 5016 White Oak Lane, River Oaks, TX, 76114 or at P.O. Box 10792, River Oaks, TX, 76114.

The Johnny Valentine Memorial Fund has been set up by the Bank of America, and the family respectfully requests that anybody who is interested should make a donation that will go towards expenses in lieu of sending flowers.

vCash

Inglorious Basterds. Really liked it. Up to Tarantino's standards. Entertaining, keeps your interest throughout. Well written, acted, and directed. Not quite a five star, but a definite solid four star film. Academy Award type performance from Christoph Walz, who plays the hunter. He did a "bingo."

I'd like to counter that anti-Bruno review. I thought it was hilarious. That said, this will definitely be a hit or miss film for most. It is WAY over the top with homosexuality, so if that bothers you, then don't see it, because really, this should have been rated X or nc-17. But Cohen once again proves that he has absolutely zero limits. If that is the type of comedy you like, then check this one out.

If you like sci-fi, District 9 was pretty well done and entertaining, although I did not love it as much as some, because there are a number of holes and oddities that caught my mind and bother me. But if you can suspend disbelief and just sit back, not think about it too much, it is pretty unique and well done.
    Last edited by apollack; 09-06-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoodle
    Sorry, Philly, but the GREAT Johnny Valentine died after a long stay in a hospital:

JOHNNY VALENTINE MEMORIAL SET

Obituary notice, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Sunday, April 29, 2001
    Johnny T. Valentine

RIVER OAKS -- Johnny T. Valentine, 72, a retired professional wrestler, died Tuesday, April 24, 2001, at a hospital.

Memorial service: 3 p.m. Tuesday at Castleberry Baptist Church.

Memorials: Johnny Valentine Memorial Fund, Bank of America, Acct. No. 004793093281.

The legendary Johnny T. Valentine, a world-renowned professional wrestler for 28 years, was born Sept. 19, 1928, in Hobart, Wash.

He was preceded in death by a daughter, Holly Valentine.

Survivors: Wife, Sharon Valentine; sons, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine and his wife, Julie, and John Anthony Valentine; daughters, Brandon Valentine, Tracy Hwidi; sisters, Virginia Wasilchen, Francie Fay; sister-in-law, Brenda Starns; grandchildren, Romaine and Vanessa Valentine, Jayson, Amber, and Tiffany Sparks; and nephew, Dan Starns.

Cards or letters of condolences may be sent to Sharon Valentine at 5016 White Oak Lane, River Oaks, TX, 76114 or at P.O. Box 10792, River Oaks, TX, 76114.

The Johnny Valentine Memorial Fund has been set up by the Bank of America, and the family respectfully requests that anybody who is interested should make a donation that will go towards expenses in lieu of sending flowers.

my mistake, was it mike dibiasi, father to the million dollar man that died in the ring?

vCash

Iron Mike Di Biase died in the ring, he was also the last opponent of Archie Moore from memory.

Banned
    vCash

THE KILLING GENE (a.k.a., w Delta z):

Awful.

If you're a Brit trying to emulate the SAW franchise, set the frigging movie in the U.K., not New York. The "American" accents were so poorly done as to be almost unintelligible for a good part of the flick, and the camera work, editing, lighting, virtually every technical factor associated with this effort flat-out sucked.

SPOILER

Maybe the feelings shown by the main character towards his male lover displayed some sort of originality (especially in a genre that routinely trivializes and derides homosexuality), but, jeeze, was it really necessary to have the audience wade through an hour and forty minutes of poorly-scripted, unoriginal -- apparently, being a "New York City" cop means you're legally required to use "fuck" as every third word of dialogue --, boring-when-it-wasn't-confusing hackwork to reach that revelation? Plus, the bitch killed a kid.

Miss it, and you'll never miss it. PeteLeo.

PS. I know Brits can do American accents well (Damien Lewis in BAND OF BROTHERS, Charlie Hunnam in "Sons of Anarchy," etc.) . . . just not these Brits plus Skarsgaard. PL.
    Last edited by PeteLeo; 09-16-2009 at 02:48 AM.

Banned
    vCash

JENNIFER'S BODY

P.O.S.
    Megan Fox can't act beyond her augmented boobs, and the alleged "Diablo Cody" can't write beyond prongraphic greeting cards, so this was one toxic mixture from the beginning. Just pitiful.

Roger Ebert apparently called this thing "A TWILIGHT for boys," making one wonder if he, indeed, saw either worthless flick or if it's reached the point that someone else has to write his columns for him. Certainly, Fox's spoiled bitch attitude in public and the fact that she kept her clothes on didn't help the misbegotten project a whit.

On the upsite J.'sB. flopped hugely at the box office, leading to the hope that this is enough to send the alleged "Diablo Cody" back to her stripper pole, Fox to Skinamax (where she belonged all along), and man-hating director Karyn Kusama (the ridiculous GIRLFIGHT, the hilariously inept AEON FLUX, TV's "The L Word" [which I never saw so I won't humously disparage], and now JENNIFER'S P.O.S. BODY) back to whatever it was that she was doing before she began to play out her feminisitic rage on the screen.

With the duditude of HALLOWEEN II, SOROITY ROW, WHITEOUT, and now this turkey, it seems to be a bad time at the B.O. for horror. PeteLeo.

vCash

THE KILLING GENE (a.k.a., w Delta z):

Awful.

If you're a Brit trying to emulate the SAW franchise, set the frigging movie in the U.K., not New York. The "American" accents were so poorly done as to be almost unintelligible for a good part of the flick, and the camera work, editing, lighting, virtually every technical factor associated with this effort flat-out sucked.

SPOILER

Maybe the feelings shown by the main character towards his male lover displayed some sort of originality (especially in a genre that routinely trivializes and derides homosexuality), but, jeeze, was it really necessary to have the audience wade through an hour and forty minutes of poorly-scripted, unoriginal -- apparently, being a "New York City" cop means you're legally required to use "fuck" as every third word of dialogue --, boring-when-it-wasn't-confusing hackwork to reach that revelation? Plus, the bitch killed a kid.

Miss it, and you'll never miss it. PeteLeo.

PS. I know Brits can do American accents well (Damien Lewis in BAND OF BROTHERS, Charlie Hunnam in "Sons of Anarchy," etc.) . . . just not these Brits plus Skarsgaard. PL.
    Brits doing US accents? How about Hugh Laurie?

vCash

JENNIFER'S BODY

P.O.S.
    Megan Fox can't act beyond her augmented boobs, and the alleged "Diablo Cody" can't write beyond prongraphic greeting cards, so this was one toxic mixture from the beginning. Just pitiful.

Roger Ebert apparently called this thing "A TWILIGHT for boys," making one wonder if he, indeed, saw either worthless flick or if it's reached the point that someone else has to write his columns for him. Certainly, Fox's spoiled bitch attitude in public and the fact that she kept her clothes on didn't help the misbegotten project a whit.

On the upsite J.'sB. flopped hugely at the box office, leading to the hope that this is enough to send the alleged "Diablo Cody" back to her stripper pole, Fox to Skinamax (where she belonged all along), and man-hating director Karyn Kusama (the ridiculous GIRLFIGHT, the hilariously inept AEON FLUX, TV's "The L Word" [which I never saw so I won't humously disparage], and now JENNIFER'S P.O.S. BODY) back to whatever it was that she was doing before she began to play out her feminisitic rage on the screen.

With the duditude of HALLOWEEN II, SOROITY ROW, WHITEOUT, and now this turkey, it seems to be a bad time at the B.O. for horror. PeteLeo.
    I thought GIRLFIGHT was OK...

vCash

Just some lightning-quick words on Inglorious Basterds. I think Tarantino movies have to be approached with a certain pre-arranged mindset, moreso than any other director I can think of. Everything he does is a sly, medium-savvy piss-take designed to engage the eye, flatter the memory, and give a conspiratorial jab in the ribs to that part of us that groans at cliches and conventions.

Viewed through that lens, I enjoyed it. The opening bit, with C. Walz barely containing his lust for the trio of nymphets, and the terrific theater sequence, will be long-remembered among his best bits.

I saw it the same day as Schindler's List and I offer a word of warning: don't go if you're looking for a reverent, serious war flick or a sombre treatment of the Holocaust.

vCash

Did you read about the two Mexican midget wrestlers who picked up a couple of prosties for a fun night . . . only to be drugged by the gals and robbed?

Due to their sizes, both were overdosed and both died.

I'm not making this up:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...e-robbers.html

Pete "I Haven't Seen It All, But, By Gosh, I've Seen A Lot Of It" Leo.
    Pete, can you please give me 48 hours' notice before you pass through town? )

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DscribeDC
    Pete, can you please give me 48 hours' notice before you pass through town? )
    Takes you and the missus that long to pack and book a short Hawaiian interlude, does it? PeteLeo.

Banned
    vCash

I think Tarantino movies have to be approached with a certain pre-arranged mindset, moreso than any other director I can think of. Everything he does is a sly, medium-savvy piss-take designed to engage the eye, flatter the memory, and give a conspiratorial jab in the ribs to that part of us that groans at cliches and conventions.
    Then how to explain DEATH PROOF? Was that the Tarantino Take on "the most boring movies ever to play a drive-in during the Seventies," or something? I can't remember being so completely stultified at any other flick featuring some really nice-looking gals (especially Vanessa Ferlito). The only character I felt any connection with was Rosie's Hitchhiker, whom I wanted to pull a cattleprod from somewhere in her shorties and ram it up "Stuntman Mike's" self-lubricating ass.

Ugh. At least it was a bomb. PeteLeo.

vCash

I kind of enjoyed Grindhouse, although reasonable minds can differ. I could literally watch Rose McGowan in anything.

vCash

I kind of enjoyed Grindhouse, although reasonable minds can differ. I could literally watch Rose McGowan in anything.
    I could literally watch Rose McGowan in nothing....

(Check out "Doom Generation")

Banned
    vCash

In my short story, "The Love Bug," I named a character after Rosie ("Rose McGowan," in fact) and visualized her as I wrote. I don't think she could sue me for that. Pete "Teej Grant" Leo.

PS. And, yes, she got naked in it. PL.

+ Reply to Thread