Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Calzaghe-Kessler Predictions, Results & Discussion

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Calzaghe-Kessler Results & Discussion 11/3/07

Thanks Greg....especially since I agreed to cover the fight not remembering my laptop was on the fritz. At least I made it through the big fight without any major hitches.
    I didnt know the fight was free until Friday myself.
    What a treat eh?

vCash

Cal is a unique fighter. At 35 he outfought a very good rival with an exceptional combination of speed, stamina, an iron chin, overall ability and will. The man threw over 1000 punches over 12 rounds. AS I have written before, he is the closest thing to what Harry Greb must of been like we have ever seen.

IT was an amazing performance. Kessler can learn from the fight and be even better. He must learn to be more aggressive. He often appeared a deer in headlights. He did win the last round in a style that could possibly win for him in the future.

If Cal fights Hopkins he will win easy. If he fights Pav he will decision him as well. He is extremely tough, gamey and has a huge will to win.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by theironbar
    Thanks Diggity -- this was a great outlet for guys like me without access to the fight!

So I noticed something about Kessler during one of his previous fights -- he pauses for a split second after he gets hit. I thought Joe's good reflexes would take advantage of this flaw. Was I off base or did this play any role in the fight?
    I completely agree with you. Kessler has the basics of boxing down pat (great footwork, jab, right cross, uppercut) but he doesn't respond right away when he gets hit, and I think that was a big factor in this bout. He's a little robotic in there and Joe was dead-on when he told the press pre-fight he was not an adaptable fighter.

That being said, Calzaghe amazed me. At 35, to still be putting forth that out-put over the distance is incredible, and his chin proved itself to be world-class. He reminds me a little of Tommy Loughran . . .just undresses good boxers and completely takes them out of their game. Although of course Tommy relied more on slickness than sheer volume, both guys have(d) great footwork and judging of distance.

Not that interested in a Hopkins bout (snooooze) but Abraham, Dawson, or Pavlik I would like to see.

vCash

Now you see why Harry Greb and Billy Conn were so successfull without big power. Lots of punches, speed, good chins, endurance and a fast fast pace. Joe has shown himself to be one the best of the last decade and I dont see anyone beating him at all. He is not a playboy, is dedicated, has the right build for the sport, and is a tuff proud guy who is getting better. Good fight, but poor Mikkel just couldnt get the leverage and get set for his power to come into play enough to win. Hes a good fighter though and it was a fine fight.

Administrator
    vCash

Zag has nothing to prove in Britain. He is & has been the man there without a doubt next to Hatton. I always thought he would beat Woods or Froch easy (especially Froch) and after what I saw last night I'm even more certain. I'd like to see Zag take some fights at light heavy with either Erdei, Woods or Dawson or for the fan's sake meet up with Pavlik for a little more $. Taylor missed out on a good payday & I think he would have had a better shot to beat Zag than Pavlik. All the above would be good fights. BHop is a total waste of time as would be Wright, its just passing go IMO & would be the least exciting of any fight mentioned. Had time been on his side, Zag would be a strong pick to unify light heavy. He's been looking for the right time to get to 175 as he's been pretty public about his dislike for getting down to 168 the recent years...though by the looks of him you'd never know. Just another example of what a pro he really is.

Classy quote by Kessler
    "I had plans for this fight but he just crushed my dreams," Kessler acknowledged ruefully. "I landed some clean shots in the fourth and fifth rounds and I feel that when I put him under pressure my window came. But when I tried to get my combinations going Joe got away. I have nothing but the deepest respect for him. His power was not that [much] but when he punched me 20 times on the head that caused confusion!"

vCash

Much like Harry Greb, Joe Calzaghe has an unorthodox style, plenty
    of stamina and good quickness in addition to knowing his way around
    the ring. While Calzaghe may not be in Greb's class as a fighter,
    it is true that he shows that unorthodox fighters can be so effective.

- Chuck Johnston

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    Classy quote by Kessler
    "I had plans for this fight but he just crushed my dreams," Kessler acknowledged ruefully. "I landed some clean shots in the fourth and fifth rounds and I feel that when I put him under pressure my window came. But when I tried to get my combinations going Joe got away. I have nothing but the deepest respect for him. His power was not that [much] but when he punched me 20 times on the head that caused confusion!"
    It's interesting to me that in the case of this fight and the Tszyu Hatton fight, two of the bigger fights in the UK of recent times, that both events were sold out arena shows, the pre fight hype was more or less respectable with an all class post fight interview in both cases.

Would be a nice example for the Mayweather's and Judah's of the boxing world that you DON'T have to act like a "gangsta" to sell out arena's if you take the right fights.

vCash

OFFICIAL POST-FIGHT LETTER FROM MIKKEL KESSLER
    15 Rounds.com

For Immediate Release

CARDIFF--I felt like I was walking into the lion’s den—no make that the Welsh Dragon’s den Sunday morning at Millennium Stadium. I heard 50,000 voices, about 90 percent very unfriendly and a small sprinkling of guys waving my red and white Danish flag.

I could not hear a word the people were saying but I know it wasn’t, “Hey, Mr. Kessler, good to see ya, good luck.” After Joe Calzaghe, a masterful champion beat me over 12 hard rounds, some in Team Kessler told me the Calzaghe partisans were screaming obscenities and singing the football song, “Who Are You?”

The whole world knew who Mr. Calzaghe was BEFORE this bout which was seen in 70 countries. Now I think, and I hope, the whole world, or at least that part of it which cares for our great sport of boxing, knows who Mikkel Kessler is.

I offer no excuses except to say I was not in 100 percent top form. It didn’t help that my guy, Mogens Palle, fell seriously ill and remains in hospital here. I am praying that Mogens soon rebound and returns to Denmark. He will be celebrating his 50th anniversary as a fight promoter Wednesday and I hope to visit with him on that special day. Because of his condition he could not be with us at ringside.

Like I say no sour grapes, no whining, and no excuses. Joe beat me fair and square on his home grounds. This cat has more tricks than any magician. I knew he would be difficult to hit but I think I clearly hit him harder and more often than any other opponent he’s ever had! I tip my hat to Joe, to his father/trainer Enzo and to their promoter, Frank Warren.

Warren told me in the ring when it was over, “You will be the top champ, you will be The Man, once Joe retires.” Good, sportsmanlike comments and I got more of those plus genuine applause from the punters when I walked out of the arena after doing interviews with Danish TV, with British Setanta and with HBO.

I also appreciated the fact that HBO’s Kery Davis came over to me after the press conference and told me I still figure in their plans and there are “many” good fights which they will consider for me. Kery is a real gentleman.

I didn’t want to spoil Joe’s moment, his big night, but I wanted to ask and I ask now of Warren and Enzo and Joe, why not a rematch? But Joe made it clear as we sat on the podium, saying, “I don’t think so because you will only do better and I may not do as well. I don’t like rematches.”

Maybe, when the magnitude of the event sinks in, Team Calzaghe will reconsider. This show was a huge commercial and artistic success and a rematch would be even more lucrative for all the involved parties.

An American reporter asked me and our American agent, Michael Marley, who I might fight next. Marley said, “A guy who was willing to come into Joe’s kitchen and fight him right there, as Mikkel did tonight, will go anywhere and fight anybody.”

My two world title belts are suddenly gone. I miss them already. I am young, only 28, and I believe my best fights and better nights are ahead of me.

I will look at any opponent out there—IBF champ Lucien Bute, the winner of Taylor-Pavlik II, Anthony Mundine for a rematch…my options are many. I know I didn’t hurt myself, especially in the UK and America, with my performance.

I thank HBO, Setanta, Viasat in Denmark, my promoter/manager Bettina Palle, my training team and everyone else who gave me their support.

I didn’t win this fight but I believe I won over millions of fans.

I hope my effort and Joe’s give more fuel to boxing’s brilliant resurgence.

He has proven, for the moment that he is Number One at 168 pounds. If he abandons the weight, I lay claim to that position. I am not guy who is content to be Number Two in anything.

I will be back. And I will return stronger, sharper and tougher than ever. I know I am just going into my primetime years in boxing.

Again, big respect for Joe. But the best of Mikkel Kessler is yet to come!

Registered User of Colorful Quips
    vCash

I picked wrong, Calzaghe is just a machine. I thought he had to lose at some point, but that point is not now. Hopkins should not fight this guy, his feints would do nothing to keep Joe away.

As for Kessler, he wants the rematch but he'd have to starch a couple of serious contenders for anyone to get jazzed about it, including Calzaghe.

Am interested to see both guys in there again, and soon. That's a rare feeling to have after a big-time match these days. (Felt the same about Pavlick-Taylor as well.)
    Shawn

vCash

A good fight between 2 classy individuals. I don't know of any current fighter who has had more divergent opinions about their skills than J.C. . I am impressed how he so effectively disrupted Kessler's timing. I have to laugh when people say he's no Hall of Famer. Ingemar Johansen and Barry Mc Guigan, amongst other "Giants", are in Canastota.

vCash

Hello from Europe...
    Just dropping a quick line...what a night it was in Cardiff and a damn good fight too. My pick turned out wrong but the fight was good enough for me to live with it. Both guys came away with their reps intact, and Calzaghe amped his up. Who knows,m by the end of 08 Calzaghe may have the wins to force a new evaluation of the last decade. And DAMN what a crowd! Nice way to start my honeymoon no doubt.

Administrator
    vCash

Congrats again Cliff. It must have been quite an event out there. Catching one of the biggest fights of this era live especially when its not even in your country is quite something to remember...let alone on your honeymoon. Have a great time & a safe trip back.

vCash

Jeez, pinch me, I'm dreaming.

A good, tough, competitive, skillfully- and aggressively-fought championship bout between two actual sportsmen who didn't whine, posture or disgrace themselves or the game...

Maybe Canastota should have them stuffed and mounted.

vCash

Carl Froch Targets Joe Calzaghe But Must First Get Through Robin Reid

By Richard Hulse
    Ringside Report.com

The dust is still swirling around in the Super Middleweight division following Saturday night’s epic battle between Joe Calzaghe and Mikkel Kessler to decide the Undisputed Championship. Now England’s Carl Froch is hoping some of that dust – and probably stardust at that – will sprinkle upon him as he moves into the next stage of his career.

Froch, 21-0, 17 KO's, wants to immediately prove that he’s the next man up to challenge Calzaghe for top honors. He meets Robin Reid, 39-5-1, 27 KO's, at Froch’s hometown venue, the Nottingham Arena, on November 9th. Carl is defending his British Super Middleweight Title. It’s a classic pairing of unbeaten young up-and-comer against faded ex-World Champion.

Just over ten years ago, Reid was top of the WBC Super Middles. Blessed
    with movie star good looks, a hard punch and solid all round ability, Reid seemed to have the potential to be a charismatic Champion. But his boxing was sometimes a bit mechanical and one-paced, and he never really established himself in quite the same way that Nigel Benn or Chris Eubank did.

After losing the Title in a disappointing bout to the awkward Hacine Cherifi, Reid hung in there for several years, drifting in and out of the rankings, and getting chances to fight for various versions of the Championship without ever actually winning. He gave Calzaghe a tough bout back in 1999, and then in 2003, suffered miserably in Germany from the admonitions of a referee who seemed determined to protect Sven Ottke from defeat. In 2005, Reid couldn’t cope with the aggression and punching power of Jeff Lacy, and was overwhelmed in eight rounds. He’s only boxed once in the subsequent two years, although that was a decent win against Jesse Brinkley, 26-4, 17 KO's, on the UK versus USA ‘Contender’ series.

Carl Froch, meanwhile, has done everything so far required of him, and, at thirty, it’s time to start shooting for the big prizes. Froch has always been sublimely confident, saying not long ago that he was the most talented fighter in the country. He already believes he’s better than Calzaghe or Kessler; he just has to prove it to everyone else. Froch hits with considerable power, and he has a long reach. Critics say he’s too fond of boxing from a lowered hands position, but Carl insists he has the head mobility and reflexes to get away with it. I’m not so certain that will be the case against the best in the world, but Froch would no doubt respond that his methods have worked fine up to now.

Looking over his CV for the last couple of years, and bearing in mind he is thirty-six, Reid probably doesn’t have the desire or the physical ability he once possessed. Froch, though, seems to feel there might be life – and bite – in the old dog, and he’s treating Reid with respect. He knows Reid’s experience could make him difficult to beat. Froch also remarked that the last thing a boxer loses is his punch, which is quite true.

Reid must know that a win here could lead to some paydays and opportunities in the autumn of his career. I’ve no doubt he’s trained hard, and will enter the ring in as good a shape as he can manage. Still, a considerable upset is what it would be if he defeated Froch, and I don’t think it will happen. My feeling is that Froch will take a round or two to size his man up and then his greater quickness and freshness will make itself told. He may well stop Reid, probably at some point in the late to middle rounds.

The under card features Michael Monaghan, 17-21, 2 KO's, against Paul David, 7-3, 3 KO's, in another Super Middleweight bout. Monaghan’s record is not luminous, but he believes many of his losses have been bad calls. He’s been around plenty of rings and has picked up a few tricks along the way. His lack of a solid dig, coupled with David’s good chin, should make this a close and entertaining match-up.

vCash

Not that anyone really cares but Reid has never fought Cherifi - he lost his title to Sugar Boy Malinga.

vCash

I thought Reid beat Cherifi and that they did fight. I recall, I think, Reid having trouble with the physical Cherifi.

I THINK it was Reid.

vCash

You're right they did fight but Reid won, just, to hold on to his title

Administrator
    vCash

Interesting perspective from the ring.com

IN PRAISE OF JOE

By William Dettloff

The principle difference between Joe Calzaghe and Mikkel Kessler Saturday night could be seen during Kessler’s postfight interview with HBO’s Max Kellerman, and it had nothing to do with jabs, hooks, or bodyshots. Throughout the interview, Kessler smiled, praised Calzaghe, hoped to do better next time, and smiled some more.

I don’t trust the conviction of anyone who smiles after a big loss as much as Kessler did, and before you disagree, ask yourself if Calzaghe would have been smiling if he’d been the one outpointed in the biggest and most important fight of his career.

Calzaghe proved Saturday night that I don’t know him nearly as well as I’d hoped or believed, but I feel fairly safe, regardless, guessing, no, Calzaghe would not have been quite so at ease having lost the biggest and most important fight of his career. To the contrary, Calzaghe gives the impression he’d lick Bernard Hopkins’ shoes clean before he’d allow himself to lose a fight, particularly this one.

Calzaghe saw himself going in as the boss, he saw himself during the fight as the boss, and he articulated that stature convincingly, particularly over the latter half of the fight. Kessler had no choice but to accept their relationship on those terms. Calzaghe forced him to.

I’m not saying Kessler didn’t try hard or even that he didn’t try as hard as he believed he could. In truth, he fought a hell of a fight. But it was clear from about the fourth round on who was the boss. It was Calzaghe, the less powerful puncher, who moved forward. It was Calzaghe, at seven years older, who had such confidence in his conditioning that he ended up throwing better than a thousand punches by the end. And it was Calzaghe who initiated and ended the majority of exchanges.

Kessler had about every physical advantage, except perhaps handspeed, but Calzaghe’s intelligence, self-belief, and experience more than outweighed Kessler’s youth and power. When you walk through a young puncher’s best bombs without pause, as Calzaghe did for most of the night, you take the young puncher’s heart away. When you hit him with about every punch you want to, you make it so that he’s happy when it’s over. And when it is, he smiles.

Calzaghe smiled a lot too afterward. He had good reason.

vCash

I don't see a Froch fight happening. It's a good domestic fight, but as others have said already, what has Joe got to proove in England anyway?

He's already said he was fighting for 12 months and then retiring with a view to getting the biggest fights he can in that time.

If he was to fight an English fighter, I would much rather see him fight Woods and then hold a piece of the 175 puzzle that would probably be not only more profitable than a Hopkins Zag fight in the US, it would be a more entertaining fight.

Jones and Hopkins seem like old news to me and not really a cherry on an otherwise impressive career where he has acheived more than any other fighter in the short history of the division.

vCash

Don't see Joe as having too many options if he wants to further his legacy with just 12 more months of fighting.

Trying to unify at 175 and defeating Hopkins looks the best option to me.

Though well past his best, Hops is still more or less world class and beating him would mean more than Lewis vs Tyson.

Froch is mediocre and has little going for him other than power.Fighting him woudl be a big step backward and if he lost it would be very damaging.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234