+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calzaghe-Kessler Predictions, Results & Discussion

vCash

Re: 51 Days Until Calzaghe-Kessler

Congrats on the engagement!

vCash

Thanks bro...I'm pumped I found a girl willing to do honeymoon ringside.

vCash

My condolences to the Lucio family, and congrats on getting engaged. A great fight, a better girl, what more can a guy ask for? Here's to a wonderful European honeymoon for you both and hopefully the fight lives up to the billing. I have been anticipating it ever since I saw Andrade get brutally beaten by Kessler and I knew this was a can't miss matchup with too much money in it not to happen.

Deepak

vCash

Calzaghe vows to up his game Sep 11 2007

Western Mail

JOE CALZAGHE has promised to produce a performance to make even his demolition job on Jeff Lacy look ordinary when he faces Mikkel Kessler at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium on November 3.

Promoter Frank Warren revealed how Calzaghe had been urging him to make the Kessler fight for months as the unbeaten 35-year-old Welshman seeks the defining win for his extraordinary career.

Calzaghe’s reward is a super-middleweight unification showdown in front of a crowd which could eclipse the indoor attendance record of 63,500 for Muhammad Ali’s rematch with Leon Spinks.

Calzaghe is determined to make the most of it.

Speaking at a head-to-head press conference in Cardiff, he said, “The Jeff Lacy fight was great but this is going to surpass that performance.

“My training for this fight against Kessler is on another level. I am fighting a legitimate world champion and I need him as much as he needs me. The better the opponent the better I perform.”

Kessler, the reigning WBC and WBA champion, who is also unbeaten, evidently share plenty of mutual respect but the Dane is convinced he will take his chance to prove himself his division’s No 1.

Kessler said, “It’s a shame it’s not in my own country but I’m not worried about fighting in Wales. I’ve got the utmost respect for Joe who is a great champion but all the pressure is going to be on him.

“I’ve watched Joe plenty of times and I was ringside to watch him beat Jeff Lacy. That was a great fight but this is one we have been talking about for a long time and it is a dream come true that it has happened.”

Thirty thousand tickets have already been sold for the fight and with just under two months to go until the big night, Warren is hopeful the Ali-Spinks attendance record could come under threat.

Warren said, “We’re looking to break the record for an indoor event. It is also going to be shown in excess of 70 countries. It is the two best fighters in the division coming up against each other.”

vCash

Ms. Lucio lead a long, great life. I will never, ever forget watching Carbajal-Gonzalez at their house.

And this fight...WHOA! Consider that the winner would likely be favored over the Taylor-Pavlik winner, Hopkins and Dawson and that really sets the stakes.

vCash

Re: Calzaghe-Kessler! Who is no.1?

Boxing hooked Calzaghe at age 9
    By Robert Morales
    sgvtribune

Just think, if Joe Calzaghe had been quicker afoot, boxing fans may never have been witness to one of the great fighters of this era.

"I started boxing at 9, but I loved football (meaning soccer) as well as boxing," said Calzaghe, who on Nov. 3 will try to make the 21st successful defense of his super middleweight championship when he takes on Mikkel Kessler in a title unification fight in Cardiff, Wales.

"To be honest, as a 9, 10-year-old I wanted to be a football player," said Calzaghe, who was born in England but has lived in Wales since he was 2. "But my dad bought me like a punch ball and he took me to the local boxing gym at the age of 9, and I was hooked from then on. I realized early I had a talent for boxing.

"I had my first fight at 10. And I actually lost my first-ever fight. The guy I lost to, his dad was also one of the judges. I beat him four times afterwards."

On Calzaghe went, playing midfield on the "football" field, at the same time honing his skills in the ring.

"I won my first British (amateur) title at 13," Calzaghe said. "And when I won my first British title, I gave up football and then I had my dream of one day wanting to become world champion."

It was all Calzaghe thought about. By his own admission, he tanked it in school because his thought process went one way and one way only.
    "I didn't really pay much attention in school," he said. "I had this single-mindedness that one day I was going to become world champion. Even the teachers would laugh. They'd say, `Are you going to leave school?' And I would say, `Well, I am going to be world champion one day.' And they would say, `No, you need to get a profession."'

Back and forth Calzaghe went with his teachers. He proved himself right and them wrong when he won the belt he still holds from Chris Eubank 10 years ago this month.

"And that's the sort of single-mindedness that led me to be where I am today - the hunger," Calzaghe said. "Even at age 13, 14, I wanted to be the best fighter in the world."

Had he been speedier on the field, however, he would have had a difficult time giving up football.

"I was pretty skillful, but a bit slow," Calzaghe said. "I am a lot faster with my fists than I am with my feet. I run all day long, man, but don't get it too quick. In football, you need to be pretty fast. Never would have made it. I wasn't a bad football player, but forget it, I wouldn't have played for money, let's put it that way."

Calzaghe, 35, is 43-0 with 32 knockouts. Kessler, of Denmark, is 28 and sports a record of 39-0 with 29 knockouts. Their fight will be televised live by HBO.

Pavlik a hero

Kelly Pavlik, of Youngstown, Ohio, won the middleweight championship Sept. 29 when he knocked out Jermain Taylor in the seventh round in Atlantic City. It wasn't just any championship-fight victory. Pavlik not only stopped the reigning champion, he did so after nearly being knocked out himself in the second round.

Pavlik has become a celebrity in his state because of his incredible performance, and deservedly so. Last Sunday he did the honorary coin flip prior to the Cleveland Browns' victory over the Miami Dolphins in Cleveland. On Tuesday, Pavlik threw out the first pitch at Jacobs Field prior to the Indians' victory over Boston in Game 4 of the American League Championship Series.

Pavlik has been invited to the Cleveland Cavaliers' home game against the Utah Jazz on Nov. 16, and to Ohio State's football game at rival Michigan on Nov. 17.

And he's only 25.

"I just think that Kelly is a super guy and I think that he has a great career ahead of him," Bob Arum, Pavlik's promoter, told this newspaper Tuesday.

From the tone of an interview Pavlik did with MLB.com prior to throwing out the first pitch Tuesday, it sounds like Pavlik is enjoying all the kudos he is receiving. He said Kenny Lofton and Victor Martinez wanted to shadow box.

Pavlik also told MLB.com that he spoke with Travis Hafner, C.C. Sabathia, Casey Blake and Kelly Shoppach, among others, before the game. Pavlik wanted to talk baseball, but they wanted to talk boxing.

"It was amazing," Pavlik said. "To see that a lot of those guys watched my fight and are fans, that was neat to be in there with them. ... I'm a huge fan of the Cleveland Indians."

There was a 30-day option for Taylor and his promoter, Lou DiBella, to exercise a clause for an immediate rematch. Arum said that as of Tuesday, DiBella had not called to confirm that they want the rematch.

Arum said that one scenario would have both Taylor and Pavlik taking an interim fight before doing the rematch. DiBella did not return a phone call made Wednesday to his offices in New York City.

Mora fights to draw

Sergio Mora, the champion on the first season of "The Contender," on Tuesday fought Elvin Ayala to a 10-round draw in the middleweight main event at Home Depot Center in Carson.

Judge Raul Caiz Jr. had Ayala winning, 96-94. Max DeLuca scored the fight a draw, 95-95. David Mendoza was in complete disagreement. He scored Mora the winner, 99-91.

Mora, of Los Angeles, is 19-0-1 but has only four knockouts.

On the undercard was Alfonso Gomez of Mexico. Gomez, who also boxed in that first season of "The Contender," won a unanimous decision over former contender Ben Tackie in a 10-round welterweight bout. This time judges Caiz, DeLuca and Mendoza were in accord as they scored Gomez (18-3-2) the winner by counts of 98-92, 97-93 and 98-92, respectively.

Walker-Wilson

Travis "Freight Train" Walker (25-0-1, 19 KOs) of Houston on Friday will take on TJ Wilson (11-1, 7 KOs) of Newark, N.J., in the heavyweight main event in West Sacramento.

Showtime will televise as part of its ShoBox series for up and coming fighters.

Stovall-Parison

Ivan "Sitting Bull" Stovall (9-1, 6 KOs) of Pomona via Oklahoma City and James Parison (8-0, 3 KOs) of San Diego on Friday will tangle in the super middleweight main event at Doubletree Hotel in Ontario.

For tickets to the Thompson Boxing Promotions card, call (714) 935-0900.

vCash

Re: Calzaghe-Kessler! Who is no.1?

Kessler: I'm gonna smash Calzaghe

By Steen Uno
    Fightnews.com

"I actually fear that Calzaghe will do all match spoiling efforts to try to block me out of the game," says WBC/WBA super middleweight champion Mikkel Kessler (39-0, 29 KOs) . "So I´ll obviously have to face him the hardest way of all and smash him within the distance."

Now just 12 days away from the much anticipated super middle triple unification clash with fellow undefeated WBO reigning Joe Calzalge on November 3/4 at Millennium Stadium in Cardiff), Kessler has heated up the verbal assault.

"Calzaghe is going to use every effort and any trick to avoid me in clean fighting," commented Kessler. "From first bell I´ll be prepared to beat my way out of infighting in a very rough way. I expect Calzaghe´s chin to take my first punch and also the second. But take my word, the third one will explode him to stagger - and the fourth will stop him and the fight as well...!"

Last weekend, Kessler ended a couple of weeks´ successful sparring with capable Belfast southpaw Brian Magee. This week in Copenhagen Kessler and chief coach Ricard Olsen pay their final attention to defining tactical details before heading to Cardiff next Sunday.

"I´ll do just a few rounds of technical sparring this week before going to Wales," he said. "I´ve been preparing for this fight since last June, so I´ve got everything crystal clear in my mind."

The federations involved have nominated Connecticut based Mike Ortega as referee at the full crowded Millennium Stadium, but still the American is subject to commission approval or change.

Kessler´s promoter Team Palle has announced, that undefeated Danish prospects, cruiserweight puncher Anders Hugger (8-0, 5 KOs) together with middleweight technician Thomas Povlsen (8-0), will join the undercard of the HBO-hyped Cardiff triple world title unification, which might turn out to be the biggest event ever in European boxing history.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: Calzaghe-Kessler Pre-Fight Press & Predictions

Calzaghe vs. Kessler: Thank You, Brian Nielsen!
    by TK Stewart from Boxing Scene

You know who’s responsible for getting Mikkel Kessler interested in boxing don’t you?

Well, it was none other than the “Danish Pastry” of a heavyweight, the cream puff himself, Brian Nielsen. Yes, the same Brian Nielsen that was pole-axed by Mike Tyson. The same Brian Nielsen who made it all the way to a record of 48-0 to threaten Rocky Marciano’s mark, and the same Brian Nielsen who was once the benefactor of a fight allegedly ‘thrown’ by Jeremy Williams.

“After I had seen Brian Nielsen on television when I was about 13 years old, I thought it would be fun to try boxing,” says Mikkel, pronounced like ‘nickel’.

“My mother took my two friends and I over to C.I.K., which was the local boxing club, and I remember clearly my first impression of the gym. It stank of sweat and the trainer was a rough, old, bowlegged man who cursed and swore and liked to smoke cigars. I didn’t know it then, but that was actually the day that would change my life forever.”

That crotchety old trainer turned out to be Richard Olsen, and through the cigar smoke and the curse words he has led Kessler, over the past 15 years, to two world boxing titles in the 168-pound division, an undefeated record of 39-0 (29)KO and to the brink of a world-wide mega-fight against fellow undefeated champion Joe Calzaghe.

“Richard was the one that taught me to box,” says the handsome Kessler, whose piercing blue eyes and white smile make him look more like a model that you might see on the pages of ‘International Male’ than a fighter.

“Richard is my second father and we get along really well, which is one of the main reasons why I’ve been so successful,” says Kessler. He’s very good at exploring new training methods and together we figure out how we’re going to defeat my opponents.”

Olsen and Kessler will have to come up with a doozy of a plan to beat Welshman Joe Calzaghe at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales on November 3rd. Calzaghe is the universally recognized champion of the 168-pound division and he has held the WBO Super Middleweight title since he beat Chris Eubank way back in 1997.

Kessler, whose father was a former sailor and pub owner and whose mother, Mikkel says, “makes the best meatballs in the world” is keeping secret what he plans to do to be victorious against Calzaghe and the 60,000 people that will pack the stadium.

“I can’t tell you what I’ll do in training because that’s all a secret,” he says in a coy way with a hint of a smile. “But, I can tell you that my training is varied and weight lifting has become an important part of my training program.”

In the other corner in less than two weeks will be Joe Calzaghe. You won’t find a fighter that takes his work more seriously than “The Pride of Wales”. Calzaghe has shown all the grit and determination that you would ever want to see a fighter display in rising from knockdowns and fighting through broken hands to win all forty-three of his pro fights and defend his title 20 times.

Calzaghe has been trained by his father Enzo for his entire life and he doesn’t ever wallow in self-doubt. He confidently says of the fight against Kessler, “I believe I’m going to win. I’ve seen him fight and he’s very good with a European style, upright fighter. Very good power with either hand.”

And more importantly, Calzaghe thinks he has Kessler and his style all figured out.

“What you see on one tape, you see on two tapes - he looks the same,” says Joe. “He basically always boxes the same and I believe that he’s not adaptable. I don’t think he looks to adapt to what I have to give him. He’s never faced anybody remotely in my league with regards to my ability and my adaptability. He’s confident, of course he’s going to be confident. He remains undefeated so he’s going to be confident but like I say, on November 3rd, I win - simple as that.”

Kessler, who goes by the nickname “The Viking Warrior” was voted the 2006 Danish Athlete of the Year and has a penchant for speedy motorcycles that go fast. The right side of his upper body is covered in intricate, colorful tattoos. His outlaw need for speed and the body art seem to go against his clean-cut looks.

“I have some tattoos with the Vikings because in Scandinavia we conquered all of Europe- but not France,” he laughs. “Because they paid us not to conquer there. Now I want to conquer all of America.”

Aside from the WBA and WBC Super Middleweight titles that he currently holds he’s won a European championship, the Danish championship five times and as a youth he was Nordic champion. He only lost three times in nearly 50 fights as an amateur.

When asked to assess Calzaghe’s chances against him, Kessler was dismissive.

“Calzaghe is an awkward fighter who throws lots of punches, but slaps a lot,” said Kessler. “I’m a more intelligent fighter than him and I’m going to kick his ass.”

Calzaghe, a southpaw, who has been known to overwhelm opponents with swarms of stinging, yet light punches, has other detractors and those who say that he doesn’t have power when he unloads his flurries.

“Calzaghe’s a southpaw, he’s got fast hands, he’s a good offensive fighter,” says veteran trainer and ESPN boxing commentator Teddy Atlas. “But he’s not a real big banger. He even slaps with his punches a little bit.”

There is no question that this is a huge fight. Since it was first announced back in July, boxing enthusiasts from around the world have been frothing at the mouth at the prospect of seeing this fight come off.

The match-up sees two undefeated champions at or near the top of their game fighting each other for the championship slot in a division that has been dominated by Europeans since it’s very inception. Even though their names are not well known by mainstream American sports fans, the fight is being televised in Europe by Setanta Sports and live on HBO in the United States. It is also receiving loads of press in Europe and even in U.S. newspapers that have been anemic when it comes to boxing coverage in recent years.

Frank Warren, the English promoter behind the fight is glowing in his praise of the fight. “It’s the biggest fight I’ve put together in the past 20 years,” claims Warren. “This is likely the biggest fight in the world at the moment and one of the most important involving a British fighter since I began promoting.”

And don’t forget, we’ve got Brian Nielsen to thank for all of it

vCash

Calzaghe wins on PTS.

vCash

Calzaghe and Kessler: Embrace the unknown

By Bart Barry

Is there a single American fight fan who doesn’t remember the night Mikkel Kessler blew out Julio Cesar Green in Copenhagen? Or that unforgettable evening in Wales’ National Ice Rink when Joe Calzaghe pounded his way through Mger “Matador” Mkrtchian?

All right. You get the point: Most American fight fans have never seen Kessler or Calzaghe more than twice. Some Americans have never seen them once. No problem. You are all in for a treat.

This Saturday night in Cardiff, Wales’ Millennium Stadium, Calzaghe and Kessler will make a super middleweight match for the WBA, WBC, WBO, and Ring belts – on regular HBO. It will feature the two men rated the two best super middleweights by every credible source. No outcome, frankly, will be an upset because no one knows who’s going to win.

Nobody at all. Sure, there are European pundits who’ve seen plenty of both men and think they’ve got a firm idea whose hand will be raised. But they don’t know this result the way we knew Manny Pacquiao would beat Marco Antonio Barrera or the way we know Floyd Mayweather will beat Ricky Hatton.

Much of this uncertainty returns to the fact that neither “Pride of Wales” Calzaghe nor Kessler the Dane has spent more than an hour boxing outside his homeland. How important that makes Calzaghe’s upcoming home-ring advantage is worth pondering. And ponder it we will. But first let’s treat the fights Americans have seen.

Twenty months ago, Calzaghe fought Jeff Lacy in a WBO super middleweight title fight. Lacy, a muscular and hard-punching American, was expected to walk directly through Calzaghe. Instead, Calzaghe beat Lacy in a way that prompted commentator Larry Merchant to say, “He took him to school, flunked him and expelled him.” Scores were 119-105, 119-107 and 119-107 – and it wasn’t that close.

Some of “The Contender’s” fans may also have watched Calzaghe handle Peter Manfredo in April. That fight featured a premature third-round stoppage that was academic. Calzaghe was so much better than Manfredo that, before the fight, one journalist offered to write his next column without use of the letter ‘e’ if Manfredo somehow won.

Kessler’s exposure to American eyes has been even more limited. Those of us who didn’t catch Kessler on a Mandalay Bay undercard in 2000 had to wait seven years to see him in action again.

Then, last March in a WBA/WBC championship bout, Kessler treated us to a brutal 12-round decision over previously undefeated Librado Andrade. It was a fight that ringside judges all scored 120-108. It was also a power-punching clinic that made pundits look up “granitic” in their thesauri for new ways to describe Andrade’s chin after he survived it.

Both Calzaghe’s recent American-television fights happened in the United Kingdom. Kessler’s coming-out party against Andrade happened in his native country of Denmark. In fact, of the 82 fights Calzaghe and Kessler have collectively made, 78 have been on their native turfs. And that brings us back to the one obvious point of favor Calzaghe will enjoy this Saturday.

If a championship game were about to be decided by two teams with home records of 41-0 and 37-0, respectively, all bets would be on the home team. Boxing is not a team sport, of course, but it’s occasionally judged like one in Europe. A judge, however, needn’t always be crooked to favor the home fighter.

When the opening bell rings for Calzaghe-Kessler, as many as 60,000 Welshmen will begin cheering every hit of Calzaghe’s and every miss of Kessler’s. Such audience participation can affect even impartial judges. Advantage Calzaghe.

But who really thought an orthodox puncher like Kessler was going to decision a southpaw boxer like Calzaghe anyway?

Fighting in Calzaghe’s home stadium, Kessler is probably going to need a knockout to take Calzaghe’s WBO belt. But that would be almost as true if the fight were contested in the neutral ring of a Las Vegas casino.

Fortunately for Kessler, most credit him with being a harder puncher than Calzaghe. Where Calzaghe slaps with some punches, relying on quickness of delivery and volume, Kessler throws boxing’s simplest and most devastating combination: Left jab, right cross. Question is, will Kessler be able to land that combination on someone as quick as Calzaghe?

Even if Kessler is able to land that combination, will it be worth all the punches he’ll have to absorb to do it? Despite conventional wisdom about Kessler’s power and Calzaghe’s rat-a-tat punching style, Kessler and Calzaghe have almost identical career knockout ratios. Calzaghe may not have one-punch stopping power, but he hit hard enough to get Lacy’s respect in about 90 seconds.

Kessler, meanwhile, has defense enough that his last opponent, Andrade – who had a higher knockout percentage than both Kessler and Calzaghe – never had him in trouble for a moment. Kessler may not have Calzaghe’s craft and Calzaghe may not have Kessler’s power, but Calzaghe’s got plenty of pop and Kessler is plenty crafty.

Where does that leave us? With a fight whose outcome is unknowable but whose action is guaranteed. It also leaves us with the most-anticipated prizefight in some time. Pressed for a prediction, I’d take Calzaghe: UD 12.

Kessler: KO 10, though, makes as much sense.

But, again, no one knows who’s going to win. In conversations with fighters, trainers, matchmakers and promoters, since Calzaghe-Kessler was announced, I’ve collected more shrugs and shakes of the head than I’ve ever seen before. By next Monday, of course, none of them will have been surprised by the result. But right now no one has a reliable bead on the fight.

Finally, there’s this. Regardless of what Europeans opine of Americans, we’re a worldlier group than we get credit for being. We’re generous with our support and we appreciate novelty. Calzaghe-Kessler has novelty and class, and it deserves to be watched. And as a title-unification bout, it’s also the most practical idea to come out of Europe this year.

Bart Barry can be reached at: bbarry@15rounds.com.

vCash

Ok, I have had a long day in the office and may be miss reading the above article but a few questions/comments about it.

Nobody at all. Sure, there are European pundits who’ve seen plenty of both men and think they’ve got a firm idea whose hand will be raised. But they don’t know this result the way we knew Manny Pacquiao would beat Marco Antonio Barrera or the way we know Floyd Mayweather will beat Ricky Hatton.
    It Bart Barry saying that USA fight fans all have a better and deeper understanding of Boxing than European fight fans? It sounds like he is saying USA fight fans KNOW their Boxing but European fight fans (like me) just think they know.

Finally, there’s this. Regardless of what Europeans opine of Americans, we’re a worldlier group than we get credit for being. We’re generous with our support and we appreciate novelty. Calzaghe-Kessler has novelty and class, and it deserves to be watched. And as a title-unification bout, it’s also the most practical idea to come out of Europe this year.
    So Bart Barry knows what all us millions of Europeans think of Americans then does he? Also why is Calzaghe - Kessler a novelty fight?

And this fight is the most practical idea to come out of Europe this years is it? Sound like someone has issues with us 'Europeans'?

Banned
    vCash

Hey, most of us on this side of the Atlantic have no idea who "Bart Barry" is, either. Sounds like a fake name to me. PeteLeo.

vCash

Joe Calzaghe and Mikkel Kessler Clash in Super Middleweight Unification Bout on HBO
    By Mark Murray
    Ringside Report.com

In what is the most anticipated super middleweight match up ever and a battle of undefeated fighters, WBA and WBC Super Middleweight Champion Mikkel Kessler will take on WBO Super Middleweight Champion Joe Calzaghe in a unification bout on HBO World Championship Boxing this Saturday night.

Calzaghe will be defending his titles in his backyard of Cardiff, Wales, in Millennium Stadium. Kessler will certainly be his toughest opponent to date. However, at 43-0, 32 KO’s and defending his title successfully twenty consecutive bouts Calzaghe seems to have the upper hand in fighting the “Viking Warrior.”

Kessler comes into the bout as the relative under dog at 39-0, 29 KO’s. But he also comes into the bout with impressive victories having defeated Librado Andrade, Markus Beyer and Anthony Mundine, all contenders in the super middleweight division.

Not to be out done Calzaghe also has impressive victories on his resume defeating Sakio Bika, Peter Manfredo, JR., and dominating Jeff Lacy in a fight that may be his best performance of his career.

Calzaghe certainly has the upper hand over Kessler in terms of speed in the upcoming fight. It could be said that Kessler has more power, however Calzaghe has approximately an identical fight to knockout ratio as Kessler. One thing is for sure Kessler has an advantage in age being 27-years-old in comparison to Calzaghe being 35-years-old.

This bout should be an exciting fight between two different fighters with two entirely different fighting styles. Calzaghe’s south paw, speedy hands style should cause Kessler trouble. However Kessler’s orthodox conventional fighting style won’t be easy for Calzaghe to handle either.

On the under card fellow Welshman and WBO Cruiserweight Champion Enzo Maccarinelli, 27-1, 20 KO’s, will be defending his title against undefeated Mohamed Azzaoui, 22-0-2, 8 KO’s. This will be Maccarinelli’s fifth title defense.

vCash

Kessler showing nerves?
    Robert Morales
    sgvtribune

Mikkel Kessler on Saturday will take on Joe Calzaghe in a super middleweight title unification fight in Cardiff, Wales.

The crowd at Millennium Stadium is expected to be in the neighborhood of 50,000, and most of the passionate souls will be rooting for Calzaghe, of Newbridge, Wales.

It would be interesting to know first-hand what Kessler, of Copenhagen, Denmark, thinks about being the enemy in what figures to be a hostile environment. But he failed to take part in a recent conference call. His publicist, Michael Marley, sent out an e-mail Wednesday saying Kessler would be available for telephone interviews.

However, when the Press-Telegram reached Marley in Cardiff at 4 p.m. Cardiff time, Marley said Kessler was done for the day with interviews and to try back today.

Any time a fighter misses a big conference call and limits media accessibility, it always makes one wonder about his psyche. Like Calzaghe, Kessler is undefeated. But Kessler has not come close to establishing himself in the manner Calzaghe has, and it could be Kessler is becoming somewhat intimidated by the enormity of the situation.

Marley, Don King's former publicist, insisted that the Kessler camp is confident. He said the feeling is that Calzaghe is a slapper and has no chance of hurting Kessler, and that Kessler can definitely hurt Calzaghe. As for the crowd, the mindset of Team Kessler is that, once the fight starts, the crowd will be out of sight and out of mind.
    There is one worry - the judging. Keep in mind that British fans are as fanatical as they come in boxing. Will the judges be swayed by them in a close round? Will the judges be afraid to score Kessler the winner? Marley said Kessler had the answer to that in one interview Wednesday.

"He said, `I am going to make sure every round that I leave no question,"' Marley said.

As for Calzaghe, he has heard all of the previous comments by fighters who say he slaps more than punches. Well, then he really must have slapped the daylights out of Jeff Lacy when he took Lacy's belt in a title unification fight in March 2006.

Calzaghe won the 12-round bout by 12, 12 and 14 points. He decked Lacy in the 12th, and Lacy's face was a mess afterward.

Calzaghe is 43-0 with 32 knockouts, a solid knockout ratio. As for Kessler, he is 39-0 with 29 knockouts. The skinny on him is that he has power in both hands, but Calzaghe wonders just how powerful Kessler really is.

"Obviously, he is a very good fighter," Calzaghe said. "You can't not be impressed. He is the second-best super middleweight in the world. Like I said, second best. Everybody keeps saying he is the power puncher in this fight, but at the end of the day, he didn't knock out (Anthony) Mundine, he didn't knock out (Librado) Andrade and he hit him with everything but the kitchen sink.

"He has a good jab, a good right hand. He seems like he has good power, but I've faced power punchers before."

Lacy was supposed to be Calzaghe's toughest opponent to date when they tangled. Now Kessler fits that bill, something Calzaghe admits.

"I think Kessler is a better fighter than Lacy," Calzaghe said.

But he said that by late Saturday night, that won't matter.

"At the end of the day, regardless of who is in the opposing corner, it is about who performs," Calzaghe said. "If I perform my best, I don't believe anyone can beat me."

Kessler, 28, is 5-0 in world title fights. Two of his title defenses were against the aforementioned Mundine and Andrade, who is from Mexico but lives and trains in La Habra.

Calzaghe, 35, is 21-0 in world championship bouts and will be looking to make his 21st successful defense.

HBO will televise. Don't miss this one.

vCash

CALZAGHE AND KESSLER: PUTTING 168 ON THE MAP

By Michael Swann
    15Rounds.com

The long awaited super middleweight showdown between WBO/Ring Magazine belt holder Joe Calzaghe, 43-0 (32), and WBA/WBC titlist Mikkel Kessler, 39-0 (29), finally, at long last, is on for Saturday night, November 3, at Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, Calzaghe’s home turf.

HBO is televising the event live at 9 p.m. ET/ 6 p.m. PT, which means that technically the fight will be held on November 4 at approximately 2 a.m., Wales time. The expected 50,000-60,000 in attendance will have to witness the fight somewhat bleary eyed to accommodate U.S. TV viewers. You have to wonder if the “special time” broadcast in the U.S. will cause the attendance to fall just short of the indoor record of 63,500, set by the Muhammad Ali-Leon Spinks II fight in the Superdome in New Orleans in 1978.

Food for thought: HBO has placed the fight in direct competition with Showtime’s Juan Manuel Marquez-Rocky Juarez card, the inaugural Golden Boy promotion for Showtime. Hmmm…

Calzaghe has held the WBO title for 10 years, making 20 defenses thus far. His success has been instrumental in raising the credibility of the sanctioning body. Although they still rank #4 behind the WBA, WBC, and IBF, they might as well have been the WHO in 1997.

While Calzaghe is a legend in England, no one in the U.S. paid much attention to him until he skunked the heavily favored Jeff Lacy in 2006. Now you could make a case that the Lacy mystique was a result of smoke and mirrors, but the way he was dominated was akin to an amateur against a Hall of Famer. When a man holds a title for a decade with that many defenses he is deserving of respect, and Calzaghe’s record there speaks for itself.

Yet, Calzaghe has received criticism over the years for facing soft competition, avoiding the marquee names and for the frequent injuries to his brittle hands. In that respect, a strong winning performance against Kessler is more important to his legacy than the Lacy fight. It will be this fight, and subsequent fights that determine his status for all time. If only he had taken it up a notch a few years earlier…

Kessler, from Copenhagen, Denmark, is the best fighter to step into the ring with Calzaghe. He might have lost the first round when Cardiff was selected as the venue, although he is half British, because the fans will definitely be with Joe. Like Calzaghe, his work has been unappreciated until recently, despite quality wins over Anthony Mundine, Librado Andrade, Markus Beyer, Eric Lucas, and Manny Siaca.

At 28, Mikkel has a seven year age advantage against the 35 year old Calzaghe. He’s an upright European style fighter who has an effective jab and a quick straight right to go with his left to the body. Calzaghe has the hand speed and the technique, but tends to be a slapper. Give Kessler the edge in power, but he will stand in front of you and is willing to trade. This could be an important factor as logic suggests that Calzaghe wouldn’t have the same chin or reflexes as in years past.

It’s a fascinating matchup in styles and both men have their share of advocates. At last glance, the oddsmakers viewed it with a slight edge to Calzaghe, -160 to + 130. I’m picking Calzaghe to win by a 12 round unanimous decision, while hoping that the fight is everything we expect and spawns a rematch.

No one else at 168 comes close to these two men in talent. Case in point - the IBF titlist is 27 year old Romanian Lucian Bute, who TKO’d Alejandro Berrio in 11 on October 19 to win the title that Calzaghe forfeited to fight Peter Manfredo rather than the IBF mandatory. Still, the winner will have no shortage of options for future big money fights with Bernard Hopkins, Chad Dawson, Winky Wright, Kelly Pavlik and Jermain Taylor all candidates for the next round.

The super middleweight division is one of the most unappreciated in boxing, particularly in America. Created in 1984, it has been primarily dominated by European, mainly British fighters throughout its short 23 year history. Only 13 Americans have held claim to a 168 pound title, and for the most part they soon move on to greener pastures.

Calzaghe and Kessler have an opportunity to raise the status of the 168 pound class, while adding some global historical significance in the process, given the huge stage that they have been afforded. With both fighters comparatively unknown until recently, HBO was somewhat reluctant to pay top dollar to secure the rights to the fight, with the thinking that it was a “European fight.”

The division has never had an undisputed champion, so Calzaghe’s hold on a belt for 10 years probably stands as the division’s most defining accomplishment. Is Joe the best ever at 168? Well, he certainly would have to get that credit if he beats Kessler, and perhaps so anyway. There have been other standouts in the division such as Roy Jones Jr., Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank, Sven Ottke, James Toney, Steve Collins, Frankie Liles, but considering all factors, including longevity, you can make an excellent case for Calzaghe.

As for the great super middleweight fights of yesteryear, let’s just hope that the Calzaghe-Kessler battle will be closer to the Benn-Eubank II fight in 1993 than the 1994 Roy Jones Jr. -James Toney scuffle in 1994. Benn-Eubank II, held in Manchester before 42,000 fans ended in an exciting draw in a unification bout for the WBC and WBO titles.

Jones dominated Toney in their fight for the IBF belt, held at a time when he was virtually untouchable. But, aside from Toney and possibly Eric Lucas, he never faced any of the talented super middleweights that were on the scene during his reign.

Calzaghe and Kessler have the opportunity to make some history in the 168 pound division. The fight has been compared to the Sugar Ray Leonard-Thomas Hearns battle of the welterweights in 1981, albeit with a heavy dose of European seasoning. With the eyes of the world focused on Wales this Saturday, a quality battle between the two might possibly create a new standard in terms of all time super middleweight fights. Hopefully they will set the bar, very, very high.

IF EVER I WOULD LEAVE YOU

Robert Goulet, the Tony, Emmy, and Grammy award winning baritone who played Lancelot in the original “Camelot” on Broadway in 1960, passed away this week in Los Angeles at the age of 73.

Goulet was also remembered in the boxing world with a list of articles as long as your arm marking his death with memories of his performance of the National Anthem before the Muhammad Ali-Sonny Liston II fight, fought in Lewiston, Maine.

One spectator recalled that, “The guy was three sheets to the wind. He finally managed to slur his way through it.”

“He was in the bag,” another remembered.

Newspaper stories at the time reported that he sang, “dawn’s early night,” and “gave proof through the fight.”

Unfortunately for Goulet, that was the famous “Phantom Punch” fight, lasting about two minutes, so there was little action to write about. Referee Jersey Joe Walcott picked up the count incorrectly when Liston dove, oops, fell to the floor, rolling around the canvas like a drunken sailor on payday. So his rendition of the National Anthem was just one on a laundry list of gaffes during that evening.

And now, 42 years later, the star is literally taking that night in Lewiston to the grave with him.

It’s a tough life. But death can be brutal too, in more ways than one.

Michael Swann can be reached at mswann4@aol.com.

vCash

I like Joe Calzaghe as I think he knows how to deal with power and knows how to keep off of the ropes.

vCash

Going with Kessler on this one. Youth, hunger, and more technically sound IMO. Calzaghe is in no way a slouch though and this should be a great fight.

vCash

Joe Calzaghe vs. Mikkel Kessler. Period.

By Cliff Rold

I’ve written so much about this fight for the last couple years that I’m sort of at a loss for words now that it’s here. Sort of.

Sometime after 2 AM Sunday morning in Cardiff, Wales (9 PM EST/6 PM PST on HBO in the States), the opening bell will clang, a potentially great fight will ensue, and an entire weight division, 23 years after it crowned its first true champion, finishes its coming of age.

World Super Middleweight Champion Joe Calzaghe (43-0, 32 KO, WBO titlist) of Cardiff.

#1 Contender Mikkel Kessler (39-0, 29 KO, WBC/WBA titlist) of Copenhagen, Denmark.

If you love boxing, this is as good as it gets.

If you’ve followed the journey of the 168 lb. weight class to this moment, it’s a little bit better. Written off almost since its birth as an unnecessary frivolity thrust upon the world by greedy sanctioning bodies, time has done for the Super Middleweights what it does for any weight class.

Time has given the division history…history to look back to and build upon in the moments leading up to the first jab and last hook thrown from Calzaghe and Kessler. There have been big fights before at 168, fights like Ray Leonard-Tommy Hearns II, Roy Jones-James Toney and Nigel Benn-Chris Eubank II, but this might turn out to be the biggest and best of them all.

The division started anonymously enough. Marvin Hagler had the Middleweights by the throat and Michael Spinks was wrapping up his run at Light Heavyweight. Into that mix came the Super Middle’s first crowned titlist.

Into that mix came Murray Sutherland.

Sutherland was just the kind of fighter the new division seemed to be looking for when born in the spring of 1984. A solid, hungry guy looking for a title who had already found the bigger mountains (in this case Spinks…twice) too tough to climb. Sutherland would give way immediately to Korea’s Chon-Pal Park; Park would firmly entrench himself the king; and on it went.

If you’re scratching your head going “Who?” there’s no need to feel bad. The division didn’t get off to a big start. It has though taken some great turns since as noted above (and let’s not forget Frankie Liles-Tim Littles either) but always with a key difference.

The difference between all those bad cats before and the two men squaring off this weekend is geography. They all started south of 168 and moved up. Jones and Toney moved largely because they couldn’t comfortably make 160 anymore. The Brits moved up either to chase the money with each other or because they’d already been shown the door by the elite at 160. Leonard moved up probably because Michael Nunn wasn’t at 168 and, hey, who wouldn’t want to have fought Donny LaLonde and a supposedly shot Hearns instead of the young Nunn.

Now we have this. This is a super Super Middleweight bout between two men who have no legacy beyond the division. They have made their bones, and broken them, all at 168.

Read the rest at: http://www.boxingscene.com/index.php?m=show&id=11012

Banned
    vCash

Pete

I reside in the US and I have never heard of Bart Barry. That said, I do know who Billy Barty was.

I was recently reading the Nov 1997 issue of KO Magazine and came accross this line about British Prospects: "Another of Britain's powerpunchers is Joe Calzaghe......."

From Joe: "I have power (at the time having scored 21 Ko's in 22 fights) and I can knockout any man I step into the ring with. At this moment I can defeat either (Robin) Reid or Steve Collins. They can't take what I've got. I'm the hardest punching Super Middle in the world."

Sorry, It just seems funny/strange reading that now.

BTW, I'm taking Joe via decision.

Hawk

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Calzaghe-Kessler Results & Discussion 11/3/07

We owe Dig a well deserved Tip O' the Fedora for covering both the HBO & Showtime cards for us tonight!

Please keep all Discussion of this fight to this thread. Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

vCash

This is a tough fight to call, since so few of Kessler's fights have been televised in the U.S. Kessler seems solid, but a little slow and mechanical from what I have seen so far. It can't possibly help that he hails from Scandanavia (where boxing has been banned in certain regions over the last few decades).

Despite the glossy statistics, I have never been too impressed with Calzaghe, and feel his so called "record number of defenses" is totally meaningless. While defending his WBO belt (only),he has fought mostly soft opposition, and struggled with fighters (Charles Brewer, Robin Reid, Byron Mitchell) that wouldn't have lasted 60 seconds with a Roy Jones caliber fighter. His biggest wins in the last five years are against a totally overrated and inexperienced Jeff Lacy (who almost lost his very next fight to a virtual unknown) and Peter Manfredo (in one of the most embarrassing performances by a boxer [Manfredo] in ring history. That being said, I will admit that Calzaghe is a winner, and has found a way to get the job done. I certainly do not feel he is remotely an all-time-great, but do think he is a solid fighter. I applaud him for taking the fight with Kessler, and may the best man win. (I will admit that I am pulling for Kessler though, in the hopes of breathing some extended life into a division that will be heating up with the likes of Pavlik, Talor, etc. At 35, I don't see Calzaghe going much longer win, lose, or draw)

vCash

Kessler by later rnds stoppage or pionts decision!

vCash

The real fun comes if Kessler wins. Is there a Vegas line on whether he makes it out of the stadium?

Administrator
    vCash

When Calzaghe was in NY prior to the Manfredo fight, knowing how popular he is in the USA, I asked him the question all US fans wanted to know --

DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?

He got the point and was good natured enough to laugh.

I like Calzaghe by decision, but really I see it more as a pick em fight.

Administrator
    vCash

I am shocked how the picks are not more split as I see as close to a pick em' at it gets. When the picks are like this it almost begs you to go against them or with all the people picking UDs, you can almost guarantee it will wind up being a KO.
    I myself am leaning towards Calzaghe in UD but I've also been a fan of Calzaghe for years. In short I just think Calzaghe has shown much more versatility over the years & has a few more tricks in his pocket. Kessler, although wonderful at what he does, is somewhat predictable. As predictable as he may appear, it didnt help the normally versatile Mundine from figuring him out who is the closest Kessler has come to fighting someone like Calzaghe (but still some worlds apart). Kessler didn't necessarily have an easy time getting to Mundine but he kept Mundine esssentially ineffective all night. Calzaghe on the other hand has much better speed, workrate & footwork than Mundine.

Before Lacy I wasn't certain Calzaghe still had it in him to fight a perfect fight anymore but I couldnt have been more wrong. Lacy is a lot more predictable than Kessler & certainly not as talented but I think Kessler will get figured out by Calzaghe just the same as long as he is patient. I believe Kessler's power is overrated as Lacy's was but Kessler punches in much straighter lines than Lacy & Calzaghe as a southpaw must respect that or he will be in trouble (see Marcus Beyer).

I can't wait. Boxing wins tonight either way. There could not have been a better example of 2 great representatives of the sport laying it all out on the table.

Here are the pics from secondsout.com...

“Prior to this fight being made I fancied Kessler to prevail over Calzaghe, but now the fight is made and Calzaghe has home advantage, I’m not so sure. Also there is a rumour that Kessler is carrying a hand injury. If that’s the case, he cannot beat Joe with one hand. All things being equal, neutral territory and both being 100%, I’d go for Kessler. But home advantage could make all the difference so I’m tipping Calzaghe to get the tightest of decisions to leave enough of a controversy for a rematch. Calzaghe W12.”
    - Clive Bernath, Editor in Chief

“If they were fighting at a normal local hour, I’d be picking Kessler. But fighting in the early hours of the morning hurts the travelling boxer. The 2am time factor affected Jeff Lacy against Calzaghe and Kostya Tszyu against Ricky Hatton won’t be at his 100% best in this fight either. This coupled with Calzaghe’s boxing skills and hometown support will see the Welshman win over the distance. Calzaghe W12.”
    Paul Upham, Content Editor

“I like Calzaghe by majority decision. Calzaghe has more ‘big’ fight experience, and as always, Calzaghe’s hand speed will be the difference. Calzaghe WMD12.”
    - Gregory Juckett, Content Editor

“Despite the hype, I think this is a fairly comfortable win for the Welshman. Calzaghe is too fast, and too fluid with his boxing for Kessler. While the Dane has an excellent jab, he is too upright and does not fight particularly well on the inside. Calzaghe has shown no signs of slowing down despite his age, and will throw too many punches per round. To be honest, I don’t actually think this will be too competitive. Calzaghe W12.”
    - Ben Cohen, Contributing Editor

“This is, in theory, the toughest test of Calzaghe’s career. But while he may be surprised by Kessler’s youthful strength, Joe is unlikely to be puzzled by the Dane’s more straightforward style. Calzaghe’s blend of speed, power and unorthodoxy is a more difficult conundrum to solve and I believe the Welshman will move through the gears to clinch a well-deserved decision. Calzaghe W12.”
    - Mark Butcher, Founding Editor

“Calzaghe is the better boxer and he will use that skill against Kessler. Kessler moves in behind a jab, good form, but Calzaghe will move out of range and box behind his own jab until Kessler begins to wilt from Calzaghe’s long-range combinations. Calzaghe understands distance as well as any boxer. At that point, around the seventh or eighth round, Calzaghe will move in for the kill. Calzaghe KO/TKO8.”
    - Jerry Glick

“Media reports that Kessler has been nursing a deep bone bruise in his hand are extremely troubling. The Dane will need to punch hard and often behind his jab and if a hand is wounded then so are his chances. Calzaghe is a master of his trade and his hand speed and vast experience should see him through this test. It won’t be a Lacy-like beat down but I predict a decision of the unanimous kind for the Welshman. Calzaghe WUD12.”
    - Michael Norby

“This will be the toughest fight of Calzaghe’s career, no doubt about it. But Calzaghe can take Kessler places he’s never been to before, how will Kessler react? I see Joe edging it, it will be a close fight but backed on by almost 60,000 people Calzaghe wins. I think Kessler will underestimate just how fast Calzaghe’s hands are, it will be tougher than the Lacy fight because Kessler is a far better boxer, but end result... Calzaghe wins. Calzaghe W12
    - Craig Phillips

“Kessler’s a sharp-shooter and the harder puncher, and that might make Calzaghe wary of leaving himself open by letting his hands go too often, neutralizing a key advantage. That said, I think the Welshman’s edge in inside boxing skills and speed plus the passionate hometown crowd will allow him to pull out a tight decision in an intense duel. Calzaghe WSD12.”
    - Sean Waisglass

“Boy oh boy, this is one of these fights were you spend all afternoon with anticipation. This is one of these fights where it’s easy to wimp out by saying X will won but don’t be supervised if I wins. Knowing this, I will go out on a tight limb and say Calzaghe wins a decision. But I see him tasting the canvas, and hurting his hand from throwing many punches at a strong Kessler moving forward and not bothered by Calzaghe’s blows. Give both men credit; they deserve a lot of respect no matter who wins this fight. Calzaghe W12
    - Ray Kilgore

“I’ve picked against Joe in all his big fights, so why stop now. My feeling is that a younger Joe Calzaghe would have been able to outbox Kessler from distance on route to a big points victory. The 35-year-old version won’t be able to keep such discipline and will lose a close points decision after controlling the opening stages. Kessler W12.”
    - Sanjeev Shetty

“I’m still amazed this is a free fight here in the USA. Kessler is slick as snails, but only knows one trick. Calzaghe will beat Kessler’s body while taking pot shots in the initial rounds, walk Kessler down as he tires, and force a rough-up Calzaghe can win before the final bell. Calzaghe TKO11.”
    - Chad Edward

“It might have gotten him the acclaim he desired but Joe Calzaghe’s victory over Jeff Lacy is highly overblown. In Mikkel Kessler, he’s found a worthy opponent; a fellow champ with the skills and hunger to dethrone him. Methinks the Punching Welshman will outbox and outwork his younger foe en route to a close but decisive unanimous decision. Calzaghe WUD12.”
    - Kenneth Bouhairie

“Both men are absolutely focused on this unification clash and though Calzaghe is the slight betting favourite, this just might be the fight where the long-reigning champ starts to show his age. At 35 to Kessler’s 28, Calzaghe may find himself having trouble with the Dane’s strength and sheer desire in the later rounds. I’d say this one’s about as 50/50 as you can get, but I lean, ever so slightly, in Kessler’s favour. Kessler W12.”
    - James Slater

“Someone’s unbeaten record is going to go and it doesn’t look like it will be Calzaghe’s, especially not in his home town. He is just after coming out of a twelve week training camp and looks in super shape. Kessler will need everything he’s got to slay the Dragon. Calzaghe to win.”
    - Bernard O’Neill

“I pick Calzaghe by decision. He’s fought the better opposition and will be fighting at home. He seems to fight his best against good opposition and Kessler will give him something to compete against. Calzaghe W12.”
    - Harry Rosenbluth

“Calzaghe once again is being written off leading up to a big fight. The same thing happened with Jeff Lacy and the same things are being said. Lacy was the hottest property in the division and was apparently coming over to knockout Calzaghe. For those who watched the fight that’s not exactly how it happened, Calzaghe handed Lacy a harsh boxing lesson. This time it’s Mikkel Kessler, the unbeaten Dane who is coming over to take Calzaghe’s thunder. Kessler is unbeaten in 39 fights. He has superb technique and also carries power, stopping 29 of those fighters inside the distance. Apparently he is younger, faster and hungrier and is posed to take Calzaghe’s belt. Calzaghe however has proved that every time he has faced an opponent of real class he has stepped up his game and won well. This will be no different, Kessler will have a 70,000 crowd cheering against him. It will be like nothing he has ever experienced before. This will give Calzaghe a huge advantage from the start. Kessler is great at the basics and has a good boxing brain, but it will take much more than that to beat Calzaghe. Calzaghe W12
    - John Tandy

From boxingtalk.com...

George Kimball: Calzaghe TKO9 Kessler: The biggest mistake Kessler made coming into this fight was admitting that he was half-English. Kessler has vowed that he won’t be intimidated by the crowd, and I’m sure he means it, but when he walks into arena and hears the roar 50,000 Welshmen he’s going to be one Melancholy Dane. Calzaghe by TKO in, say, 9.

Matthew Aguilar: Calzaghe W 12 (unanimous) A classic matchup between a pair of highly skilled boxer-punchers. The difference will be experience, and speed. Kessler, as talented as he is, has never been on this big of a stage. And while he will perform well, Calzaghe's constant motion will begin to wear on him once this fight reaches the championship rounds. Look for Calzaghe to sweep rounds 11 and 12 with precision punching and activity, to take a close, but unanimous, decision.

Scott Shaffer: Kessler TKO10 Calzaghe: Calzaghe has a lot of wins on his record, but not too many top quality wins and the younger, busier Kessler will ask him some questions he's not prepared to answer.

Darren Nichols: Calzaghe by UD: I'll be rooting for Kessler, but my money is on Calzaghe. He has been in with stiffer competition, he will have the home field advantage, and I believe his stamina will outlast the Viking Warrior - Calzaghe by unanimous but still close decision.

Alex Stone: Kessler TKO11 Calzaghe: This is pretty much the most important fight in the history of the super middleweight division. I picked Lacy over Calzaghe, I was terribly wrong. I picked Manfredo over Calzaghe, and though I have my protests about that stoppage... I was wrong again. I obviously don't count on the past and, apparently, like to think three times is a charm. It will be a close fight until Kessler takes the aging Calzaghe into deep water. Calzaghe has the heart of a true champ and he won't quit, but the ref will stop it in 11.

Michael Gonzalez: Calzaghe by decision or late stoppage – Calzaghe’s Matrix like fast hands and slick footwork will separate from Kessler in this one. Though Kessler will be competitive throughout with his simple but effective because he does it so well laser sharp one-twos and good defense. Sit back and curse belligerently at your tele, just as the punters in Wales will surely be doing in attendance at 2:00a.m, this one will not disappoint.

Matthew Goldstein: Mikkel Kessler by close UD

Brad Cooney: Calzaghe by UD

Ray Campbell: Kessler by UD

Socrates Palmer: Calzaghe by close decision

BOXER PICKS:

William Joppy: Joe Calzaghe by UD

Allan Green: Joe Calzaghe by UD

Roy Jones Jr: Joe Calzaghe by UD

Registered User of Colorful Quips
    vCash

Arg, I initially thought Calzaghe but now I'm thinking Kessler is going to catch him mid-rounds. Something shocking, like a 5th round stoppage. That place will explode when/if it happens.
    Kessler KO5 Calzaghe

Enjoy the evening, fellas!
    Shawn

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    Alex Stone: Kessler TKO11 Calzaghe: This is pretty much the most important fight in the history of the super middleweight division. I picked Lacy over Calzaghe, I was terribly wrong. I picked Manfredo over Calzaghe, and though I have my protests about that stoppage... I was wrong again. I obviously don't count on the past and, apparently, like to think three times is a charm. It will be a close fight until Kessler takes the aging Calzaghe into deep water. Calzaghe has the heart of a true champ and he won't quit, but the ref will stop it in 11.
    "WoW", Manfredo over Calzaghe!!, who is this ALEX STONE?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt
    "WoW", Manfredo over Calzaghe!!, who is this ALEX STONE?
    You have to wonder at times Frank

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wildhawke11
    You have to wonder at times Frank
    You're right Danny

vCash

Help! Does anyone know if this fight is being broadcast in Canada! Please let me know!

Thanks,

-Peter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast