Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gene Fulmer vs. Carlos Monzon

vCash

Gene Fulmer vs. Carlos Monzon

Was Fulmer tough enough to hang with the Argentinian?

Banned
    vCash

Re: Gene Fulmer vs. Carlos Monzon

Tough enough to hang with him, yes. Overall skilled enought to beat him? Nope. PeteLeo.

vCash

It could look reminiscent of Carlos's Fight with Briscoe, with Carlos quite happily fighting off the back foot, Carlos will always know where to find Gene, but Gene i feel will have Trouble finding Carlos to any great and consistent degree, Gene's super-tough, but so is Carlos, with a versatility that Gene Lacks, and an attitude that sees him happy to stick to a winning formula, and not feeling the need to look spectacular. Carlos clearly on Points for me, Carlos might be in one of them "Just do Enough" Moods ?

vCash

Oww jezz. Another tuff one to call. Guys who try to nail Carlos get beaten down, but if there was a way to beat him, Fullmers style was it. Too many people remember the later Fullmer who fought than the bone tight younger Fullmer who took Robinson the first time. That Fullmer would give any Carlos Monzon a tuff time. I pick Carlos, but not by much and would not count out a close fight or even a win for Gene.

Banned
    vCash

I tend to agree with Sage here

IF Monzon is coming in at Full tier, I say he has little trouble handling Fullmer who will go the route, but lose pretty clearly.

FUllmer was a great fighter and I am taking the Fullmer from the first Robinson bout here. But the Robinson from THAT fight was also in his late 30's and wasn't what Ray was at HIS middleweight peak.

I say this becuase I can here it now: How can you say Monzon handles FUllmer easily when Sugar Ray Robinson couldn't? Well, IMO had this been the Robinson from the Lamotta bout who faced Fullmer when they first fought, I say THAT Robby ALSO handles Fullmer rather easily.

I see this being competitive should Monzon show up like he did far too often: showing just enough to get by. Monzon was a partier and a playboy. What would make me think that simply becuase he facing Gene Fullmer that he wouldn't take care of business OUTSIDE of the ring, like he always did? Well nothing can make me think that.

Monzon was Monzon. ANd even at less than his best, I say he's enough to handle FUllmer. Not a slam at FUllmer. But more of an accolade to Monzon.

Hawk

vCash

Sage hit it right on the head in my book as well. The honest effort and vigor of Fullmer would be disheartening to witness as it came up a teensy bit short time and time again over 15 rounds.

vCash

Shark - I find Monzon interesting because he had that fifth Gear - but rarely seemed to used it, and at the end of his career when most fighters struggle to find 3rd Gear - he changes up and twice beats probably his most demanding challenger, the excellant Rodrigo Valdez ! as Hawk mentioned with a longstanding playboy lifestyle as well ! i do think Carlos enjoyed having them extra 3 rounds for putting things beyond doubt. a cool calm impassive Hombre indeed.

Sage.

vCash

Indeed, Sage. Then he is succeeded by a similarly (with noticable differences in HOW they appeared while doing their thing) transmissioned Marvin Hagler... interesting that each was often on cruise control.

+ Reply to Thread