Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Robinson-Monzon

vCash

Robinson-Monzon

The ultimate fighter vs the greatest middleweight of all time.

I did see Monzon a few times. he seemed to win easy and not even pushed very hard. But none of the victims were that well known. maybe they were all that but I couldn't tell next to Monzon but could he deal with Robinson's speed power and non stop aggression?

the pick here is Robinson by late round stoppage.

vCash

Re: Robinson-Monzon

Quote Originally Posted by ultimo
    The ultimate fighter vs the greatest middleweight of all time.

I did see Monzon a few times. he seemed to win easy and not even pushed very hard. But none of the victims were that well known. maybe they were all that but I couldn't tell next to Monzon but could he deal with Robinson's speed power and non stop aggression?

the pick here is Robinson by late round stoppage.
    That IS defintely a fantasy, ultimo.
    Carlos could have whipped both Robby and Bobo on the same night.
    Karl

vCash

Monzon was was much bigger and stronger, but Ray was way faster. Interesting fight. I personally give Ray the edge by decision, but I could also see him outstrengthed by Monzon and lose a decision too.

vCash

Monzon was a great fighter, SRR imo was greater, I would pick SRR by u.d in a 15 round fight.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StingerKarl
    That IS defintely a fantasy, ultimo.
    Carlos could have whipped both Robby and Bobo on the same night.
    Karl
    This is Sugar Ray were talking about. not benvenuti or Gratien Tonna. No one makes short work of the p4p greatest of all times.

vCash

Ray had on his night HAD too much speed and waS busier than Carlos by a good bit, no KO, so it's a matter of who throws and lands more. It has got to be Robbie by UD

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by apollack
    Monzon was was much bigger and stronger, but Ray was way faster. Interesting fight. I personally give Ray the edge by decision, but I could also see him outstrengthed by Monzon and lose a decision too.
    I'm not going to dissagree or argue with you but one thing stands out: All you have to do is look at the measurements or heights to see Monzon was only 1/2 inch taller. I think both were good stand up boxers but Ray was somewhat faster with the combinations and could see that he was probably the more dangerous puncher.

As for comparing physical strength, i don't know how anyone could tell something like that thru the tv set.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt
    Monzon was a great fighter, SRR imo was greater, I would pick SRR by u.d in a 15 round fight.
    i agree KBALT. Did you see all that leather Robinson threw to the body of Lamotta?? While I was watching it, I could almost hear Jake grunting each time-umphh! umphh! ummphh!

I think Ray would be pretty effective catching Carlos to the ribs to slow him down and plaster him later on. Carlos probably could last the distance but he would have to do an awful lot of holding.

vCash

I think Monzon wins. He waits for Robinson and counters him with the big right and is strong enough to hold him in close and stop the body attack. Monzon was a bigger guy than Ray no matter the slight difference in height. Carlos would not be intimidated. He had the demeaner of a champion and would in his heart think of himself as the greater fighter. Ray would not intimidate him and the reaching in by Robbie would stop him from useing his speed effectively. Carlos is a tall mountain to climb for anybody his weight IMO.

vCash

I find it very hard to pick ANY middleweight over Sugar Ray Robinson in Robinson's prime. That said, although Robinson would only give up a 1/2 inch in height, he would give up 4'1/2" in reach (72-1/2" to 77"). I don't recall Robinson ever giving away a reach advantage (although he and Joey Maxim had the same reach) This would be a very interesting fight.

vCash

I'm on that wave length, too, Monzon versus Robinson, with the winner taking on my all time western favorite middleweight Freddie Steele. No way do any of those dream battles go the distance!

Steele lost only five of his more than 140 bouts.....but he also defeated three of the five men who scored over him.....that leaves only two who got away from his dynamiting fists. Please believe it......Steele was breathtakingly talented as a complete package.....boxer/puncher.

Just a thought.

hap navarro

vCash

I think Monzon fought taller than Robbie. He had that standup style and he also had a full blown middleweights strength. Sugar always seemed like he used his talent and punching power and all around skills to handle the strong middles, but wasnt always the strongest guy in the ring. MOnzon always seemed the strongest guy in the ring. His comp was on the level of Robinsons and that makes me think some. Ya gotta take that into consideration. I still like Carlos as I think his assets take away Robbies great attack. Still its hard for me to picture a ko in this bout.
    Boy hearing Hap Navarro say those things about Freddie Steele, ya have to wonder. Hap knows what he sees and I respect any observations he makes on boxing. I only saw Steele on film and of course his power was evident. He just might be the most underrated guy in modern times. Hap says so and I gotta respect that.
    By the way Hap, Bernie Ducuson sends you his best. Bernie is about 165 lbs now and in pretty good shape. A handsome man still, happily married with his wife and their children and grandchildren.

vCash

Thank you, Rocky:

You would have loved being around at the time the Docusens were setting the L.A. fight fans on their ears! I only knew of three of them, each with an entirely different fighting stance and style. Bernie was terrific, no question. Maxie was a stand up boxer with a respectable wallop. Regino was only in the game a short time.

Only Sugar Ray could have kept Bernard from winning a world's title. That's how much class B.D. showed from his very debut on the west coast. Please give him my best when you speak with him again.

regards

hap navarro

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rocky111
    Boy hearing Hap Navarro say those things about Freddie Steele, ya have to wonder. Hap knows what he sees and I respect any observations he makes on boxing. I only saw Steele on film and of course his power was evident. He just might be the most underrated guy in modern times. Hap says so and I gotta respect that.
    Check out Mike Casey's article on Freddie Steele on the CBZ @ http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxin.../MC_Steele.htm

vCash

Will do Hap and he'll be happy to hear those things!

+ Reply to Thread