Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrales-Clottey Results & Discussion 4/7/07

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Corrales-Clottey Results & Discussion 4/7/07

Adam Pollack has generously stepped up to cover both cards for us today as it turns out they are at different times. Please keep all discussion of this card to this thread.

Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

vCash

Re: Corrales-Clottey Results & Discussion 4/7/07

Although they weighed in at 149, tonight Showtime said that Clottey is weighing 170, and Corrales is weighing 160. Ridiculous. I truly think they need to bring back the same day weigh in. Hell, Fitzsimmons-Dempsey - they weighed in at ringside before entering the ring!

vCash

1 - Good fight so far. Diego seems very quick and sharp, even showing good footwork. Unfortunately, Clottey's punches are much harder and sharper, landing effectively and hard. Diego is getting hit too cleanly, despite the fact that he seems in good shape. He was hurt slightly by some rights and hooks and was half thrown down. No knockdown, but he was hurt a bit.
    Last edited by apollack; 04-07-2007 at 10:21 PM.

vCash

2 - Diego attacks more and makes it inside game. However, he's still getting hit hard. Looks like it's going to be another one of those grueling wars. Defense may be Diego's undoing, but he's fighting hard and ripping some fast shots himself. Overall though, Clottey is landing much harder and cleaner. Diego simply does not have good enough defense. Despite his effort, he's not landing effectively enough to bother Clottey, who is throwing fast and hard.

vCash

3 - Clottey slowed just a bit this round, but still landing nice uppercuts. Diego getting into his chest better and smothering him more so his D isn't exposed quite as badly. Diego lands some nice body shots and a couple solid hooks. But Josh nails him with some terrific uppercuts. Diego needs to stay close because at range Clottey is simply able to nail him too cleanly.

vCash

4 - Diego's inside offense starting to flow more. Nice inside short shots. He's at a nice close range. Clottey isn't landing as often. Looking like a nice inside war like the first Castillo fight. Pace still very good but Clottey isn't ripping them quite as much or as often as before. Diego smothering him well and getting off more. First round I'd give to Diego, though he still got hit with a few uppercuts at end and a nice hook. Diego landed a very nice right at end himself. He needs to stay very close.

vCash

5 - Diego leans forward square too much and that's why he gets hit with the upper. Both working well on the inside. Diego throwing consistent short shots not as hard but crisp and solid. Clottey likes to work tight guard, wait, then rip a few hard ones. Clottey's punches are harder and more effective when he gets off, but then goes into shell. Wow, he's ripping them and Diego's head snaps around. Then Clottey goes to shell again and Diego works away. War of attrition. Clottey spurts again at end with ripping shots, Diego makes most miss but a couple nail him real hard. Diego has huge heart and good condition to take these kind of shots and keep fighting back hard.

vCash

6 - Both just working away, back and forth pounding on each other with crisp shots. Excellent fight. More air of danger when Clottey punches, but you get the sense that Diego is just calmly trying to work consistently and break him gradually. But question is whether he can keep taking these occasional very fast and hard punches that land solidly. Man this is brutal. Towards the end Diego again takes some really damaging shots and is lucky the bell rang.

vCash

7 - Nice competitive round of give and take. Both consistent with their shots, less power by Josh this round but this is still very high quality competition and I could watch this all night. Fights like this save boxing. Two guys in great shape giving it their all. A bit slower this round but their slow round still had as much work as a lot of fights have in three or four rounds. Less big shots landed this round. Diego has a chance to come back, but in a 10 round fight, not sure he has enough time. We'll see.

vCash

8 - Clottey seems tired and wanting to rest and lean in. Diego outworking him. Josh rips a few now and then. Now Josh back in gear but he's not landing as well or as often as earlier. Ut oh, he just landed a big straight right on Diego, but then gets smothered. Clottey has been very good at finishing the rounds well, almost seeming to ignite at the warning sound, and does so again, ripping some massive punches at the end that seem to hurt. Diego's eye seems to be swelling a bit.

vCash

9 - First half a bit of a lull, but Diego gets hit with massive hook that hurts, then some good follow up punches. Serious danger. Gets pushed down again, but his legs are wilting a bit. Diego back to inside, but ut oh, another big hook nails him perfectly, then a few follow up and he's down. Very hurt. Old mouthpiece out trick again, gets extra rest, but understandable because he got hit with BIG shots. He's just about done. Gets hit with some good shots at end as Clottey tries to finish and bell basically saves him.

vCash

10 - Diego in great shape because he's fighting hard and ripping some good shots, but Clottey not phased and has decent defense. Just too strong for Diego. Josh a bit tired, playing his waiting game again. Oh wow a huge very well timed fast counter right nails Diego and drops him. Diego had missed a right and leaned to left leaving him vulnerable to the fast winging right/slight uppercut. Mouthpiece out again. Ref takes point off. Diego's eye streaming blood as it did last round. Clottey seems to be boxing a bit at end as he knows he's got it in bag. End of round.

Should be clear decision win for Clottey, but Diego still did himself proud with very courageous, game, hard fought effort that showed he had heart of a lion. But just outgunned in this one. Diego simply needs better defense. Clottey too fast and strong, better defense. Both in great shape.
    Last edited by apollack; 04-07-2007 at 10:13 PM.

vCash

I hope for his own sake Corrales don't fight again, he is done big time.

vCash

Decision unanimous. 97-90, 98-89, 100-87. Clottey.

Excellent fight. Makes last night's heavyweight fights look even crappier. This was two fighters giving their all fighting their asses off nonstop, with almost no holding at all.

vCash

Imo, Corrales corner should have stopped the fight after the 9th round.

vCash

Clottey punishes Corrales!
    In a brutal fight, WBO #4 welterweight contender Joshua Clottey (31-2, 20 KOs) spoiled the welterweight debut of former two-division world champion Diego Corrales (40-5, 33 KOs), who was leaping two weight classes on Saturday night at the Shrine Mosque in Springfield, Missouri. Fighting in a proverbial phone booth, Clottey worked over Corrales in rounds one and two, bloodying Chico's nose and connecting with numerous uppercuts. Clottey continued to land clean shots in the third while Corrales had some success to the body. Clottey then seemed to slow down slightly and there was good two-way action in the fourth through seventh rounds. Clottey seemed to hurt Corrales at the end of the eighth round, and Clottey's violent attack in round nine floored Corrales and left him returning to his corner bleeding above the right eye. Clottey floored Corrales again in the tenth and Diego was docked one point for spitting out his mouthpiece by referee Mike England. Scores were 97-90, 98-89, 100-87.
    Saturday, April 7

vCash

Clottey was wrong choice for Corrales to pick as a weltweight opponenet. Corrales was just to small for this dude.

vCash

I completely agree Evander. Clottey was a freaking Light Heavyweight in there.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Once again I want to thank Adam for pulling double duty & covering both cards for us. Much aperciado, Adam!
    regards,

GorDoom

vCash

You are welcome. This is the first time I did a live report like this. I was trying to watch, blind type when I could as I was watching at the same time, then do a little addition and clean up in between rounds. So you were basically getting my ongoing thoughts as the fight was progressing during the round. Hope I gave you all a good feel for the fight, at least the ones who couldn't see it.

vCash

I have to agree with Frank. Each round in the second half, seeing Corrales' head knocked back every time, the announcers talking about his courage, and falsely, IMO, talking about a possible miracle finish for him at the end- man, all I could think about was this is exactly the kind of fight that ends very sadly for a brave fighter. He seems OK (not talking long term, of course), but I was worried for him in this one as it went along.

vCash

Clottey wins unanimous decision over Corrales

April 7, 2007

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) -- Joshua Clottey completely dominated Diego Corrales on Saturday night, knocking down the former world champion twice in a unanimous decision in their 10-round welterweight bout.

Clottey (31-2) sent Corrales -- making his debut at 147 pounds after moving up two weight classes -- to the canvas with a left hand to the head late in the ninth round.

Corrales (40-5) got back to his feet, but moments later another left by Clottey sent him reeling in the corner. Corrales survived the ninth but took a bloody right eye into the 10th and final round.

Midway through the 10th, Corrales dodged a Clottey left but stepped into his right and went down again, losing his mouthpiece. The former WBC and WBO lightweight and WBO junior lightweight champion again got back to his feet, but by that point, it was all but over.

Clottey, the No. 4 welterweight contender according to the WBO, won 97-90, 98-89 and 100-87 on the judges' scorecards.

"He was a tough guy, this was a tough fight," Clottey said. "But I knew from the beginning that it was just a matter of time. I knew I would have to break him down."

Corrales said after the fight that he thought Clottey broke his jaw in the fifth round.

"My corner asked me if I wanted to continue, and of course I did," Corrales said. "I have a lot of respect for Clottey. He caught me with two great shots."

The fight was the last of nine on the night in front of a near-capacity crowd at the 2,300-seat Shrine Mosque

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by timayres
    I have to agree with Frank. Each round in the second half, seeing Corrales' head knocked back every time, the announcers talking about his courage, and falsely, IMO, talking about a possible miracle finish for him at the end- man, all I could think about was this is exactly the kind of fight that ends very sadly for a brave fighter. He seems OK (not talking long term, of course), but I was worried for him in this one as it went along.

Very true, this is the type of fight that gives you a bad fealing in the back of your mind, a fealing of impending doom. Corrales took alot of clean hard punches from a bigger and very strong opponent. As he walked back to his dressing room he did not look all there to me. I would have liked to see his corner stop this one. No point in letting a warrior like Corrales take this kind of a beating. Towards the latter half of the figth there was no chance he could pull the comeback IMO. He simply did not have the pop at 147 neccesary to hang in there with a guy like Clottey.

Clottey was a bad choice as a first oppoent in a new division, too good, too big, too strong. If Corrales chooses to continue fighting at 147, and it looks like he may not have a choice, he should really take some time to groiw into it. A few low key fights with lower tier fighters would be a good move.

On a more pleasant note, Clottey looked as good as I have ever seen him. He really stepped up and showed what he is capable of doing when given a shot. The guy has a style to make great fights, and the talent and strength to give anyone at 147 a hell of a fight.

vCash

It's pretty much what I expected, though I honestly figured that Corrales would be stopped...he's just not a welterweight and Clottey is a very strong welterweight and a very good fighter...as I said in the other thread...Margarito was very fortunate that Clottey was injured in their bout. I would like to see Corrales again at either 135, or 140, but he is not going to be a serious threat at 147 and Frank may be right...Corrales could be done for, but I think this fight was more of him moving to high in weight than being shot. But he has been in some hard, hard fights.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BDeskins
    It's pretty much what I expected, though I honestly figured that Corrales would be stopped...he's just not a welterweight and Clottey is a very strong welterweight and a very good fighter...as I said in the other thread...Margarito was very fortunate that Clottey was injured in their bout. I would like to see Corrales again at either 135, or 140, but he is not going to be a serious threat at 147 and Frank may be right...Corrales could be done for, but I think this fight was more of him moving to high in weight than being shot. But he has been in some hard, hard fights.
    Ah.... for the good old days when fighters fought in their natural weight classes... oh well!!!!!

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Clottey Clobbers Corrales in Decision Win
    By Sammy Rozenberg from Boxing Scene

Joshua Clottey (31-2, 20 KOs) showed exactly why he was the betting favorite in the fight, as he dominated former three-time champion Diego Corrales (40-5, 33 KOs) on route to a unanimous ten-round decision win at the Shrine Mosque in Springfield, Missouri.

The fight was held at a contracted weight of 149-pounds, two pounds above the welterweight limit. Corrales, who last fought at the lightweight limit of 135-pounds, was way over his head against Clottey, one of the better welterweights in the world.

Not only was Corrales moving up by two weight classes, he weighed 160-pounds as he entered the ring, while Clottey weighed a whopping 170-pounds in the dressing room, 5-pounds shy of the light heavyweight limit.

The difference is physical size and strength was apparent from the start as Clottey was pushing Corrales' head back with every shot he landed. Corrales had a lot of trouble with Clottey's hand speed, and fought the wrong fight by staying on the inside with a fighter that was outlanding him 5 punches to 1.

Clottey's blazing combinations and uppercuts were the keys to victory. Corrales threw a lot of punches to the body, but none of them were able to slow Clottey down.

In the ninth round, Corrales' face was swollen, he was bleeding badly out of his nose and running out of gas. Late in the round, a combination of punches sent Corrales to mat. He was able to beat the count as Clottey began landing more hard punches until the round came to an end. A nasty cut opened up above Corrales' eye during the ninth round, giving him even more problems.

When Corrales went down in the ninth, there was a brief timeout for Corrales to re-insert his mouthpiece and ref Mike England warned him that a point would be taken if it happened again - and it did.

The tenth and final round was more of the same with Clottey landing some of his punches at will as Corrales was being physical beaten up. A perfect right hand counter sent Corrales down for the second time in the fight. Once again he beat the count and lost his mouthpiece. As promised, the ref penalized him a point for spitting out the mouthpiece.

Clottey went right for the kill. To his credit, Corrales was able to last to the end. The final scores were a wipeout for Clottey, 97-90, 98-89 and 100-87.

Corrales will need to rethink his future in the sport. He admitted after the fight that moving back down in weight, even to the junior welterweight limit of 140-pounds would be next to impossible at this point in his career.

Clottey is not the hardest puncher at welterweight and Corrales had a lot of trouble dealing with a naturally larger man. There was also hand speed issues for Corrales. Unless he was fighting Clottey on the inside, he was barely able to land his punches. If he was facing some of the big punchers at the weight, like Antonio Margarito, Paul Williams or Kermit Cintron, the fight would have been over in six rounds or less.

Another issue was the lack of power. Many experts predicted that Corrales' only chance to be competitive at the weight would be an increase in power by moving in weight. He was never able to hurt Clottey or push him back in the fight. Clottey does have a good chin. He praised Corrales for his heart, though he admitted that at no point in the fight did Corrales hurt him.

Clottey picked up the biggest win of his career. Most will play down the win by saying that Corrales was a lightweight moving up by two weight classes. To some degree that logic is correct, but Corrales is still a dangerous fighter and did keep himself in the fight at all times by letting his hands go for ten-rounds.

Most of the top fighters at the weight are locked up in big fights. Clottey's only options would be IBF welterweight champion Kermit Cintron or a possible clash with Shane Mosley. One thing is certain, Joshua Clottey has finally arrived in the welterweight division.

Banned
    vCash

How ironic would it be if the last win in Corrales' career turned out to be Castillo I (Brian Kenny's selection as "the greatest fight ever"), which he should have lost, anyway? PeteLeo.

vCash

It looks like Diego Corrales cannot compete well in the
    welterweight division, taking a beating from a fighter
    who is far from being the best 147-lber. Corrales
    should think about retiring even if he doesn't have
    enough money salted away.

- Chuck Johnston

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Time to Hang 'Em Up Diego

Time to Hang 'Em Up Diego
    By Armando Alvarez from Max Boxing

The sport of boxing is a cruel one. Through the years we have seen some really good fighters take unnecessary beatings in the ring; some of those beatings leading to a very untimely death. We remember Benny "Kid" Paret dead after being knocked out by Emile Griffith. In his previous fight, Paret took a brutal beating at the hands of the bigger, stronger Gene Fullmer. Jimmy Garcia and Leavander Johnson are two other fighters that come to mind. When tragedies like that happen, we pray and hope that we don't ever have to witness a catastrophe like that ever again. That's why I suggest that Diego Corrales call it a career.

The brave two-division champion took a ferocious beating at the hands of Joshua Clottey Saturday night. This comes after a loss against Joel Casamayor, a knockout loss versus Jose Luis Castillo in their rematch, and who can forget their rock 'em-sock 'em fight of the year in 2005, where Corrales came back from the dead to stun the boxing world and stop Castillo in the tenth. That fight alone took a lot out of Corrales, and Saturday night we saw a shell of what "Chico" used to be.

In boxing, you are going to receive punches. Lots of them. To the head, to the body. And unless you're a prime Roy Jones Jr., Willie Pep, Pernell Whitaker, or Floyd Mayweather Jr., you're going to get hit. But when you get hit often and flush it causes some concern. Clottey was landing on Corrales at will, snapping his head back with ferocious uppercuts, left hooks, and right hands. He unleashed an arsenal on Corrales, and although Clottey will never be confused for Felix Trinidad, a 170-pound man's punches (which is what Clottey weighed the night of the fight) are going to do damage, and in this case add to previously received damage by Corrales.

Corrales is a very young man. He's only 29. He's got a family, and a full and prosperous life ahead of him. I've met him on several occasions and he's a very nice guy with a smile could light up a room. He's one of the bravest fighters in the history of boxing, and he proved that again on Saturday as he kept trying to mount a comeback even after receiving everything Clottey had to offer.

Now I'm no one to tell Corrales to retire. I'm just a writer and a fan. I truly believe every human being should do what makes them happy (as long as it's within the law) and if Corrales wants to keep fighting then he should. Evander Holyfield could fight whenever he likes as long as he passes the medical tests. Thomas Hearns at 50 could fight if he pleases. If they're cleared, then why not. But what we're trying to avoid here is getting to that point that you could no longer pass a physical. Heck, even if you pass the tests, it doesn't mean you're not getting hurt in the ring. Paret, Garcia, and Johnson all passed their medical exams, and they're no longer with us.

So I urge Diego Corrales to retire. He may even have a future as a broadcaster in the sport. He's a very colorful personality who has the potential to do a lot of things. He's beaten some of the best in his generation like Casamayor, Castillo and Acelino Freitas. His career has been a great one, and he has nothing else to prove to anyone.

Do it while you're young and healthy Diego. Don't wait until it's too late.

vCash

Re: Time to Hang 'Em Up Diego

I agree with the assertion that Diego Corrales should retire
    and hope that he has enough money to tide him over for
    the rest of his life.

- Chuck Johnston

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast